Navigator advice needed

mumcat

We have an option on a 30 day Navigator cruise. I have read various reviews about Navigator from which I gather she is old and has fewer amenities - restaurants etc. We also have an alternative option on Explorer but for a much shorter cruise. I have sailed on Explorer and loved it and would want the same kind of luxury experience again although I realise she's newer and bigger. I would love to hear from people who have sailed on Navigator - what is the opinion - is the Regent experience the same despite lack of amenities?  After being cooped up for so long I need to get out and dress up!!

We have sailed on the Navigator a few times. For some reason, I think she gets the best itineraries...or at least the ones that appeal to us the most. She does not have all of the glitz and amenities that the other ships have. Only Prime 7 as a specialty restaurant. When the weather gets bad, the veranda can get crowded at lunchtime. There is some serious vibration on the stern, so avoid cabins back there. 

All that being said, we find her charming. Since she's so small, sailing on her is like a house party. You can get to know everyone (if you'd like) and everyone will know you...passengers and staff alike.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

We have sailed on the Navigator a few times. For some reason, I think she gets the best itineraries...or at least the ones that appeal to us the most. She does not have all of the glitz and amenities that the other ships have. Only Prime 7 as a specialty restaurant. When the weather gets bad, the veranda can get crowded at lunchtime. There is some serious vibration on the stern, so avoid cabins back there. 

All that being said, we find her charming. Since she's so small, sailing on her is like a house party. You can get to know everyone (if you'd like) and everyone will know you...passengers and staff alike.

YES YES YES!

• Like 1

Mumcat - I COMPLETELY AGREE with Mudhen and Fizzy!  Do not pass up the opportunity to take a cruise on the Navigator simply because she's a bit smaller, older, and has a bit less "glitz" or specialty restaurants.  She is beautifully maintained.  She doesn't "Need" as many amenities because she has far fewer passengers onboard.  The cuisine on Navigator is every bit as good as it is on the other 4 ships.

The service is warm, welcoming, and every bit as attentive as what you'll find on the other 4 ships, as well.  Being a bit smaller (but it's certainly bigger than a tugboat!), it has a very warm and friendly "hometown feel" to it.  The staff quickly gets to know you by name.

Try to book a suite in the center of the ship and perhaps on deck 6 or 7.  You have an easy walk to everything on the ship and the ride should be fine.  On Navigator (and this is my opinion, of course), there is no sense in paying extra money for a concierge or penthouse suite on Navigator, since the less expensive "Deluxe Veranda" suites are exactly the same size and as well-appointed as the more expensive penthouses.  You can even take the Regent "hotel credit" off the fare and book a hotel room on your own (pre-cruise) and save even more money.

DW and I are very much looking forward to our Transatlantic Cruise on Navigator from Barcelona to NYC in Aug 2022.  We can't wait!  That will be our 5th cruise on Navigator and we just "love" that ship!  You can order most/all the same entrees in Navigator's elegant Compass Rose main dining room, that are available in the Chartreuse and Pacific Rim specialty restaurants (only found on the larger ships).

The daily per diem cruise fares on Navigator are generally cheaper than those found on the other ships in the fleet and as Mudhen said, Navigator often goes to more and different ports than the other larger ships do.  Best Regards. 

• Like 4

We are scheduled to sail on the Navigator in April 2022, a 25 day cruise in and out of Miami to the Amazon. We have sailed on Navigator many times and agree we miss the other restaurants. For us and Navigator, it’s about the itinerary. 
I agree with all the above comments. 
sheila

• Like 2

Thank you for your replies. We decided to take the Explorer cruise largely because I really want to be cruising over Christmas and New Year but we will be sailing on Navigator in November 2022 so after reading your comments, I will look forward to being on board.

• Like 2

Vibration is the key issue with this ship, along with the fact that there is no proper observation deck, a problem common to all Regent ships.  We did a thorough walkaround the Navigator and the vibration is noticeable on all decks aft of the main elevators.  The further back you get the worse it becomes.  In La Veranda restaurant at breakfast I tended to order my eggs raw and watch them scramble themselves in front of me.  But seriously, get a cabin in the front half of the ship.  I think the Navigator is the runt of the Regent litter and that's why it gets the most interesting itineraries.

Seabourn's Quest, a similar size, is superior in every way. 

Edited by Fletcher
  • Haha 1

Navigator is a very good ship; the smallest in Regent's fleet; has some excellent itineraries; and offers good value.

Many Regent cruisers love Navigator; but some will not sail on her.
We were put off trying her for years because of negative comments, but we thoroughly enjoyed  two cruises on Navigator in 2019.

Blogs from our cruises on Navigator include comments on the ship and may be of use:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2644816-notes-from-a-navigator-novice-hong-kong-to-singapore/

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682585-narratives-from-navigator-in-norway/

I understand that Regent have done a lot over the years to alleviate the aft vibration and speaking to those who have sailed on her in the past the vibration is much reduced, although still noticeable.

If you are sensitive to noise & vibration then choose a suite up front. SuiteGuru can be useful to see feedback from other CC members.

• Like 4

Weave sailed on Navigator several times, including a 21 day in Northern Europe and have booked a 25 day Amazon cruise for April 2022. 
The only thing I miss is the variety of the specialty restaurants on the longer cruises. 
It is a cozy ship and very comfortable. We always book Deck 9 just forward of the elevators. 
No problems… 

sheila

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm an unashamed fan of Navigator - a true cheerleader, I think you could say.  I really do love that little old ship.  But I'd be hesitant to book anything much longer than about 21 days or so as I think the lack of variety in the restaurants would start to show after about 3 weeks.  

But other than that I'd sail on any Regent ship any time, any where.    🙂

Edited by UUNetBill
  • Like 5

Navigator is the only Regent ship we have sailed on.  We print out menus from restaurants on other ships and order from them the night before.  Even had them make egg yolk ravioli which is not on any menu.  There is no reason to be limited by what is on the Compass Rose menu.  About 6 weeks in we asked for just plain pepperoni pizza and tuna melt - we got it.

On 6/24/2021 at 10:04 AM, UUNetBill said:

......I'd be hesitant to book anything much longer than about 21 days or so as I think the lack of variety in the restaurants would start to show after about 3 weeks.  

But other than that I'd sail on any Regent ship any time, any where.    🙂

I am with Bill. Anything long and the NAV seems claustrophobic.

We did the very first Discovery cruise in 2008 on the NAV, It was 84 days. After about 50 days I was ready to go. The ship seemed to close in on me and the food got repetitive.

J

I am going the other way on this...the longer the cruise, the more Navigator feels like home, like your personal yacht.  I don't care for the fake glitz on the newer ships...I am a substance over form kind of person.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Pcardad said:

I am going the other way on this...the longer the cruise, the more Navigator feels like home, like your personal yacht.  I don't care for the fake glitz on the newer ships...I am a substance over form kind of person.

And don't forget that the Compass Rose is the largest specialty restaurant at sea.  First there is the always available menu then there is the ability to order almost anything you want with 24 hour notice.  If you have been on 45 days and want comfort food just order meat loaf and mashed potatoes and gravy.  

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

Pcardad - Our thoughts exactly!  So far, we have been quite content to stick with the "3 older sisters" (Voyager, Mariner, Navigator).  At some point, I'm sure we'll make it on board the 2 (current) newer ships, as well.  But so far, we just haven't yet found the particular itinerary or timing that we were looking for in order to experience the newer ships.

We're currently looking forward to our upcoming Panama Canal cruise on Mariner and a Transatlantic on Navigator in 2022.  Yes, the Navigator definitely feels like "our own personal yacht" when we're on board!  Regards.

• Like 1

Have been on Navigator for a 28 day single segment; or several 31-day BtoBs.  These have included Panama Canal transits, either 'Carib to Pacific, or visa versa; or Miami to Amazon River and return.

From that perspective going back about 15 years--side with Pcardad and pingpong. 

We have also benefited by having Ray Solaire as CD on several occasions.  No cruise is dull with Ray aboard.  We are careful as to booking a particular Suite or Penthouse--a bit forward of center.  Yes, there is that vibration.  But, it becomes somewhat comical when in the Theater during a Lecture or pre-dinner function.  Watch the wine glass "migrate" across the table as the stern rumbles while Navigator navigates into a Port. 

The service has always been 5+.  Very loyal Staff, from Deck Crew to Officers.  As noted above, there has never been an issue with variety of food offerings.  The basic dinner menu offers so-many possibilities.  Or--just make a realistic request, and it will be honored.  Want Pasta and meatballs for dinner at Compass Rose.  Not on the menu.  Staff will NOT say:  Hey, take your request and yourselves up to Sette Mari on the 10th Deck.  No hassle.  Request granted; food served hot.      

With proper notice (either 24 or 48 hours), the chef will prepare a special meal. Or, prefer another round of Miso-glazed sea bass with sticky rice wrapped in a banana leaf when that particular dish is not on an evening menu?  Make that request known--with lead time.  No issue.  

GOARMY!

• Like 1

I enjoy the intimacy of Navigator.  I also love their standard balcony suites, and Galileo's Lounge, with its wonderful outdoor section. I don't particularly miss the specialty restaurants, and the pool deck is lovely if it's nice weather.

But it can definitely feel claustrophic when the weather is not great, as I'm sure happens on many of that ship's northern itineraries.  Then again, I like intimacy, more than anything perhaps.  We're booked on Splendor next year so the jury's out on the glitzy newer ships for us--Mariner will remain our favourite until then, at least.

We have been on the Nav several times and  have loved every minute of it. The only thing older is the actual hull; the ship’s interior is immaculate and updated regularly. She and I are very similar: we are a little older, but still looking good. 
Z and TB

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, GOARMY said:

We have also benefited by having Ray Solaire as CD on several occasions.  No cruise is dull with Ray aboard.  We are careful as to booking a particular Suite or Penthouse--a bit forward of center.  Yes, there is that vibration.  But, it becomes somewhat comical when in the Theater during a Lecture or pre-dinner function.  Watch the wine glass "migrate" across the table as the stern rumbles while Navigator navigates into a Port. 

The service has always been 5+.  Very loyal Staff, from Deck Crew to Officers.  As noted above, there has never been an issue with variety of food offerings.  The basic dinner menu offers so-many possibilities.  Or--just make a realistic request, and it will be honored.       

With proper notice, the chef will prepare a special meal. Or, prefer another round of Miso-glazed sea bass with sticky rice wrapped in a banana leaf when that particular dish is not on an evening menu?  Make that request known--with lead time.  No issue.  

GOARMY!

We've always really look forward to any/every cruise where Ray has been our CD.  He, along with his "puppet companions" onstage have offered a good dose of "reality", mixed in with a good helping of comedy, as well!  He doesn't know us from "Adam", but we still consider him to be a "good friend"!  We wish Ray all the best, and good health, and we very much hope to see him again very soon on another cruise!

And yes, we always book a suite "amidship" or "forward" and have never had the slightest problem with any "bad vibrations".  Only "Good".   Navigator was our very first ship with Regent and we learned from the outset (on Navigator) that on a "Regent Cruise", there was never a request that was ever met with the word, "No"!

We do miss the "complimentary" brown water, however.  That was "unfortunately" eliminated  when they replaced some of the pipes a few years ago during a refit/drydock.  😜  Regards.

• Like 2

I’m enjoying these thoughts! We are taking our first Regent cruise- we booked the Mariner and have been transferred to the Explorer. Of course we’ve only seen photos, but the Mariner looked less glitzy and we liked that better. We are also increasing quite a bit in size from Windstar after many great trips there and have a bit of trepidation on the size. I think we will also have to try the smaller Navigator!

Ping:  

As the temperature in the Greater Seattle area now hovers at about 105f  (Record); with 110-112f predicted for tomorrow and Monday:  Attempting to divert attention on the instant exterior reality to more pleasant Regent cruising memories.  So--

Here we go, again, with a Pong comment specifically about Ray Solaire/Navigator/and the brown water matter. 

First, whether by chance, or Nature's changing course untrimmed (apology to Shakespeare), the only brown water experiences we experienced while aboard Navigator were externally generated while entering, in, and exiting "The Greatest River in the World"  [Amazon).  Cannot recall on any of our many Navigator cruises having others comment over a cocktail about this situation as an internal Suite issue.  Of course, unlike our beloved companion ("Captain") gentleman who basically lived aboard Navigator for many, many years (until COVID-19), our brief visits were once or twice yearly.  Depending on the itinerary.   In any event, now history.

All things being equal (which they never are), a consummate Cruise Director (CD) can be the tie-breaker.  Ray has met that mark.  During our last Navigator (June, 2018 Panama Canal transit) cruise, spent some quality time with Ray.  This included having dinner--at his invitation.  Ray shared some aspects of his "life upon the British Stage" prior to his CD gig.  While respecting confidentiality as to details:  Ray spun some stories which, literally, had me almost falling out of my Compass Rose chair.  My spouse had to remind me to maintain composure.  Could not.  Suggested Ray incorporate some of those anecdotes into a stage routine--perhaps with one of his puppet accomplices being the foil.  Maybe he has.   

We certainly look forward to visiting with him again in the not-too-distant future.  Ray has sent some musical videos while at his home in England awaiting reopening of itineraries across the Regent fleet.  

Best, and stay cool.

GOARMY!

18 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

We have been on the Nav several times and  have loved every minute of it. The only thing older is the actual hull; the ship’s interior is immaculate and updated regularly. She and I are very similar: we are a little older, but still looking good. 
Z and TB

hahaha - I LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE!!!!  

My turn.  Yes, the Explorer is very, very nice.  But you could spend a whole day on the ship and not realize you were on a ship.  I am on a cruise, so want some reminder that I am on a ship.

DH and I really have enjoyed our times on the Navigator.  this has included an Amazon cruise (25 days) and Amsterdam to New York (20 days).  The longer voyages did not make us feel closed in. (And I am someone who has issues with motion sickness)

We have enjoyed both the crew and the passengers.  All of the crew is very helpful, whether is it helping you get your breakfast plate to the table, reminding you of something you may need ashore, or remembering what you drink with your lunch. I need to drink NA beer, and by the second day we are on the ship, the NA beer I drink is in the various places throughout the ship for me.  Morning coffee is always brought with a smile. We have never seen brown water,      I think we have felt some vibration, but nothing that bothered us.  

The Navigator does seem to get great itineraries.  If there were similar itineraries between Navigator, Voyager and Explorer, it would be a toss up between Navigator and Voyager and I would really need to slice and dice the two voyages to select one.

On 6/26/2021 at 7:27 AM, mrlevin said:

And don't forget that the Compass Rose is the largest specialty restaurant at sea.  First there is the always available menu then there is the ability to order almost anything you want with 24 hour notice.  If you have been on 45 days and want comfort food just order meat loaf and mashed potatoes and gravy.  

I did not realize this about the Navigator MDR.  We will do one night in Prime C but we  don't miss the specialty restaurants (hit all three of them the time we were on Explorer).  We really enjoy the Navigator MDR.

20 minutes ago, drib said:

FYI, prologue to tomorrow, when fare changes are typically expected, these two Nav itineraries had fare decreases today:

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV220113/summary

https://www.rssc.com/cruises/NAV220125/summary

Would you debark or embark in Cartgena?  What were the folks in Miami thinking?????  I bet you the Bridgetown itineraries also have problems.  

Good Grief! 

Understand Regent is attempting to fill up some hoped-for dance card once Navigator recommences cruising.  But, having reviewed the above-detailed B/t/B itineraries--must conclude those are another example of hoping hope does triumph over experience.  (Apologies to Dr. Samuel Johnson's late 18th Century comment as to a second marriage's chances of success following divorce on the first.) 

As to our experience(s) aboard Regent on a 'Carib itinerary including Cartagena:  We are one out of four.  Three total misses due to civil unrest, general crime, and terrorism.  The Captain on each occasion made a rational decision not to allow anyone off the ship.  Just moved on to the next port.  

Our only success--and the most-recent--was during a Navigator May-June 2017 Miami-Amazon River-Miami cruise.  All was calm.  Did a Tour.  Just very-hot, but nothing unexpected.  Expect others will contribute to similar post-June 2017 successes.  But, the Past is Prologue.   

Reviewed the State Department's current Travel Advisory as to Columbia in general, and Cartagena.  Not promising.  Of course, things can change.  You pays your money; you takes your chances, whether that investment is in the form of FCCs or credit card.  Level 4.  Recommendation:  Do not travel due to COVID, plus all the previously listed endemic problems.  Local political demonstrations are one thing; riots leading to a general Police crackdown and live-fire on the  streets resulting in deaths are another.    

GOARMY!