Handicapped Cabins

judatt

I’ve got a question for which I’d like to get input from all of you experienced cruisers. We have booked guarantee cabins several times and a few times have been assigned handicapped cabins. One time we even traded our handicapped cabin to someone who needed it more than we did and we took their cabin.  We have never booked a handicap cabin. 
My question is what do you consider a handicap worthy of booking a handicapped cabin?  My wife is almost 70 and has a pacemaker and 2 stints. We’ve noted most handicap cabins seem to be near elevators so that’s helpful. We both get around fairly well although we are both diabetics - my wife on insulin and me just meds. 
Any input? 

8 minutes ago, judatt said:

I’ve got a question for which I’d like to get input from all of you experienced cruisers. We have booked guarantee cabins several times and a few times have been assigned handicapped cabins. One time we even traded our handicapped cabin to someone who needed it more than we did and we took their cabin.  We have never booked a handicap cabin. 
My question is what do you consider a handicap worthy of booking a handicapped cabin?  My wife is almost 70 and has a pacemaker and 2 stints. We’ve noted most handicap cabins seem to be near elevators so that’s helpful. We both get around fairly well although we are both diabetics - my wife on insulin and me just meds. 
Any input? 

I do not need a handicapped cabin but it sounds to me that you have every right to book one.  Enjoy your next cruise!!

If you are both functioning well and are still mobile, there's no need to book an accessible cabin. Consider the differences between the amenities offered in a regular cabin and an accessible cabin. What amenities are offered by the latter that you need or would otherwise benefit from?

BTW, I recommend that you request to have the title amended to Accessible Cabins and make the edits to your post if it's not to late. 

• Like 2

I have no problem occupying an accessible cabin if assigned as a gty.  I once had one on Princess...an inside that was as large as a suite.  I book about 5 weeks out and when I checked the cabin number, I emailed my TA to say I didn’t need it, but she said Princess knew.  We surmised that it was the only inside available for both weeks of my B2B.  EM

I do need an accessible cabin. I have limited mobility and use a power wheelchair. An accessible cabin is necessary in order to get through the doorway as well as to get around in the room. A regular cabin’s door is too narrow and there is not enough room to turn the wheelchair around inside. Additionally, there are grab bars in the bathroom and a seat in the shower that I need. I usually have to book well in advance as accessible rooms usually go fast. I would really appreciate it if people who do not need one would refrain from booking them. As long as you can get around ok, please leave the accessible cabin for those who really need them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Deciding to book  an accessible cabin is a personal choice.  Being assigned one is a choice of the cruise line. FYI I am a wheelchair user. I am lucky in that I can transfer and walk a few steps. I need an accessible cabin for the space to turn the wheelchair around, the roll in shower with the bench, the room to store the wheelchair, the automatic door (available on S and E class), the closet with the lowered clothes rack, and the sink that I can get my wheelchair under.  
We usually book the ship as soon as the itineraries become available, otherwise it can be difficult to find an accessible cabin.

• Like 1

I believe the handicap cabins are designed around assisting people with scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers. People who need the wider cabins doors to get in and our with those devices and extra room to store them. I probably wouldn't consider requesting a handicap cabin unless I needed a device that like that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, judatt said:

Any input? 

As you are both mobile I am struggling to see the benefit you would get from a cabin designed for wheelchair users...I would think any additional space you may gain would be outweighed by shower, sink and other facilities designed for someone constantly sat down. 

However, it could be worthwhile chatting to someone in Celebrity’s accessibility department about you and your wife’s actual needs and what they could support you with. For example, your wife may benefit from being wheeled on board to prevent her becoming over tired, or you may benefit from the M’D having knowledge of your medical/dietary needs. 

Why not look at booking cabins near to an elevator and identifying exactly what additional support your wife could benefit from. As others have said, until last minute fill the boat time accessible cabins need to be left for those who have significant mobility issues.

Edited by chemmo

If the carrier assigns an accessible cabin under a guaranteed status, I am assuming they do not anticipate booking it otherwise.  As for booking it for other than mobility or accessibility to toilet and shower that becomes a personal decision, but some cruise lines do question your needs prior to sailing.  We are trying to cruise each year with our adult son who has mobility issues and needs the no step shower and extra handrails and our problem is we must book way in advance to get one that is large enough for three adults.  On Celebrity that means a Sky Suite for space. On the S class ships there are 4 cabins, on the Edge class ships there is ONE accessible Sky Suite that can accommodate 3.  This is not an issue limited to Celebrity.  Like everyone else we have missed cruises (Norway and Baltic) with him but are booked on the Edge,  Barcelona to Rome in June 2022 which I booked back in February.  

One other point for those reading, even if you do not need an accessible cabin take a few moments when looking at deck plans and pay attention where most accessible cabins are found. Probably not in the locations you consider as preferred.  

6 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I believe the handicap cabins are designed around assisting people with scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers. People who need the wider cabins doors to get in and our with those devices and extra room to store them. I probably wouldn't consider requesting a handicap cabin unless I needed a device that like that. 

I don't use a mobility device, except a cane, but am unsteady on my feet. I need the grab bars in the restroom and use them at home too. I have a neurological condition, but look normal. People on a cruise tend to think I'm intoxicated, but I'm not.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, judatt said:

Any input? 

the official terminology “Accessible Stateroom” explains who is “worthy” of  booking such a stateroom. Pacemaker, stents or diabetes do not require a larger barrier free room. A wheelchair or walker or other mobility issue does.

If one is assigned such a stateroom as a qty - well, then I can only hope the cruise line made sure nobody else really needs it and I would say it’s alright.

Personally we wouldn’t feel comfortable in such a room due to the bathroom design.

If it is the proximity to an elevator you are looking for, then there are plenty of other stateroom choices.

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1

As a wheelchair user, please don’t book it if you don’t need it, just book a cabin near the elevators if that is what you need. And by the way not all accessible cabins are near elevators,

6 hours ago, Firepath said:

I don't use a mobility device, except a cane, but am unsteady on my feet. I need the grab bars in the restroom and use them at home too. I have a neurological condition, but look normal. People on a cruise tend to think I'm intoxicated, but I'm not.

I’m similar, I do use a wheelchair most of the time, but have some mobility people have accused me of being drunk or having had a stroke.

Even more annoying are those that accuse me of faking because they see me in a wheelchair some times out of it at other times.

24 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Even more annoying are those that accuse me of faking because they see me in a wheelchair some times out of it at other times.

There are many of us in this situation...We can walk but not far, we can stand but not for long and doing either for periods longer than our body can manage leaves us in pain that may last for days...Many of us have ‘good’ and ‘bad’ days too resulting in variations of what we can do.

I now tend to request wheelchair help at airports as we somehow always seem to be the gate at the very end of the terminal. Cruise wise we usually book a RS so get the ‘Special Delivery’ which speeds up boarding wonderfully giving me the independence to walk. Exiting the ship we usually wait in Michael’s/Retreat until the concierge receives a message saying the queues for security are diminished, depending on how I am feeling on the day I will ask for a wheelchair if I feel I am going to struggle.

There are always those who are ready to ‘judge’. I remember a post some time ago about people using the disabled toilet who ‘clearly weren’t disabled’ with a total lack of understanding of ‘invisible disabilities’...I no longer get fretful when I get to the gate at the airport and walk onto the plane about what others may think. Those quick to judge have the disability of narrow mindedness, the inability to put themselves in the situation of others.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, chemmo said:

There are many of us in this situation...We can walk but not far, we can stand but not for long and doing either for periods longer than our body can manage leaves us in pain that may last for days...Many of us have ‘good’ and ‘bad’ days too resulting in variations of what we can do.

I now tend to request wheelchair help at airports as we somehow always seem to be the gate at the very end of the terminal. Cruise wise we usually book a RS so get the ‘Special Delivery’ which speeds up boarding wonderfully giving me the independence to walk. Exiting the ship we usually wait in Michael’s/Retreat until the concierge receives a message saying the queues for security are diminished, depending on how I am feeling on the day I will ask for a wheelchair if I feel I am going to struggle.

There are always those who are ready to ‘judge’. I remember a post some time ago about people using the disabled toilet who ‘clearly weren’t disabled’ with a total lack of understanding of ‘invisible disabilities’...I no longer get fretful when I get to the gate at the airport and walk onto the plane about what others may think. Those quick to judge have the disability of narrow mindedness, the inability to put themselves in the situation of others.

I like that “Disability of narrow mindedness”.

My other pet peeve is people who talk to me like I have a mental disability just because my body is ......

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

I do not need a handicapped cabin but it sounds to me that you have every right to book one.  Enjoy your next cruise!!

Really?  From the original post I’d say there was nothing that would indicate the need for an accessible cabin. You say you don’t need an accessible cabin. Maybe if you did your attitude to who qualifies for them might be different if they were taking a cabin you needed. 

To the op, this is in no way a pop at you. You asked a respectful question and have received some good replies, save for the one I just quoted. My advice would be to book a cabin near the elevators and if you have any special requirements then have a word with your cabin steward. 

Phil

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

I like that “Disability of narrow mindedness”.

My other pet peeve is people who talk to me like I have a mental disability just because my body is ......

Totally understand!

In recent years following surgery I have had two spells in wheelchairs and have been amazed that staff in shops, airports and even on cruises address questions about my needs to my husband over the top of my head.  For example, “Can your wife walk onto the plane or does she need wheeling on board?” Or “Would your wife like to move onto a chair or stay in her wheelchair?”.

Honestly, no grumble about the staff....all asking questions to lead to my welfare and comfort, just a reflection of how ‘out of tune’ people can be to disabilities. 

• Like 2

I regularly book accessible cabins these days.  I sometimes need a wheelchair.  I regularly need a cane.  On a good day, I don't need anything.

The issue is that the accessible cabins are the only ones that have grab bars in the bathroom, both at the toilet and in the shower.  If I'm having a bad day, then I need to use my WC and it doesn't fit through the door of a regular cabin without collapsing.  

So, if you are ASSIGNED an accessible cabin by the cruise line, then that means that was the available cabin.  You might find that you are re-assigned a non-accessible cabin shortly before the cruise if you didn't fill out the accessible paperwork and someone contacts the cruise line and needs an accessible cabin.  I have ABSOLUTELY no issue with it when people are ASSIGNED an accessible cabin as a guarantee.  

If you need some of the resources in the accessible cabin, then you need an accessible cabin.  Enough said.  Only you know what resources you and your spouse need inside the cabin.  Since the cruise line has not made partly accessible cabins available, if you need grab bars, you need an accessible cabin.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Really?  From the original post I’d say there was nothing that would indicate the need for an accessible cabin. You say you don’t need an accessible cabin. Maybe if you did your attitude to who qualifies for them might be different if they were taking a cabin you needed. 

To the op, this is in no way a pop at you. You asked a respectful question and have received some good replies, save for the one I just quoted. My advice would be to book a cabin near the elevators and if you have any special requirements then have a word with your cabin steward. 

Phil

Yes, really.  I still feel they are allowed to book an accessible cabin.  And yes really, I also know a thing or two about having a disability.  Not at the point though where I’d need one of these cabins, but bet your bippy if and when I do, I’ll be booking one.  Stop by I’ll buy you an AI beverage.  All the best 

21 hours ago, sanger727 said:

This is exactly my belief, although not all people with walkers need one in my opinion but I would not judge - people need to decide their needs regarding that.  If assigned one as a guarantee, then no issue.  Otherwise, unless you really need the wider doorways, lowered shower entry ways, etc.. , then leave them to people who do - there are not enough of them to go around on many sailings. There are plenty of cabins of all types near the elevators so that aspect is really a non-issue. 

People who take them without needing them may be causing someone else to not being able to sail.  It reminds me of one of my pet peeves at the airport - people who claim to be 'handicapped' so they can board the planes early.  On a recent flight there were a bunch of young people who arrived at the gate in airport wheelchairs.  They of course got boarded first.  When the plane landed, they - to a person - walked off and into the airport with no problem at all.  They were just taking advantage.  I hope karma does it's thing on them one day.

ps - not suggesting the OP is taking advantage - they had the consideration to inquire whether they qualify before booking.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

This is exactly my belief, although not all people with walkers need one in my opinion but I would not judge - people need to decide their needs regarding that.  If assigned one as a guarantee, then no issue.  Otherwise, unless you really need the wider doorways, lowered shower entry ways, etc.. , then leave them to people who do - there are not enough of them to go around on many sailings. There are plenty of cabins of all types near the elevators so that aspect is really a non-issue. 

People who take them without needing them may be causing someone else to not being able to sail.  It reminds me of one of my pet peeves at the airport - people who claim to be 'handicapped' so they can board the planes early.  On a recent flight there were a bunch of young people who arrived at the gate in airport wheelchairs.  They of course got boarded first.  When the plane landed, they - to a person - walked off and into the airport with no problem at all.  They were just taking advantage.  I hope karma does it's thing on them one day.

ps - not suggesting the OP is taking advantage - they had the consideration to inquire whether they qualify before booking.

Exactly!  I've been assigned an accessible oceanview cabin as a guarantee and enjoyed it. Larger, liked the roll in shower, but there are some convenience compromises in the name of  making them for those who need them. There was less storage in the bathroom and the mirror at the sink was very low. There are extras like a ramp to the balcony and an electric cabin door (which was very slow to close. Care required!). 

Phil