Princess Not Doing Test Cruises

Syracusefan44

4 hours ago, caribill said:

I wonder what the CDC penalty is for sailing without verifying 95% of the passengers have been fully vaccinated.

Unless, they do the test cruises and are approved, the answer is the ship does not sail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Unless, they do the test cruises and are approved, the answer is the ship does not sail.

The Princess exec said they would be adhering to all CDC mandates with regards to the percentage of unvaccinated passengers on each ship so they did not have to do any test cruises.

When the reps from Holland America and Seabourne spoke on the webinar they were going out with 100% vaccinated crew and passengers since the countries they were stopping at required all visitors to be vaccinated.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ChutChut said:

DeSantis didn't "pass" the law - the FL legislature did - and it's not "irrelevant." It's the LAW unless a court invalidates it. If Princess wants to ignore it, that's a $5,000 fine times the number of paxs on each sailing requiring vaccine verification out of FL.

Sorry about the confusion but I what I was saying is 100% of the crew and passengers must be vaccinated if the ship is stopping at a port of call that requires any visitors to be vaccinated.  

For example Saint Kitts just mandated that all visitors must be vaccinated so everyone on a cruise ship must have proof of vaccination if the ship is stopping in Saint Kitts. Princess will require everyone to certify they are vaccinated (I assume through the Medallion app) prior to the cruise and when the ship arrives in Saint Kitts their local health officials will require all visitors to provide proof of a vaccine. DeSantis can’t stop the government of Saint Kitts from requiring a vaccine card.  That’s what I meant by the law in the State of Florida being irrelevant.

Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Syracusefan44 said:

For example Saint Kitts just mandated that all visitors must be vaccinated so everyone on a cruise ship must have proof of vaccination if the ship is stopping in Saint Kitts

"ALL passengers" or just those getting off ship - and St Kitts has an exclusion for under 12 traveling with parents who have both been vaccinated

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

"ALL passengers" or just those getting off ship - and St Kitts has an exclusion for under 12 traveling with parents who have both been vaccinated

Probably all passengers. That has been the standard in the past when something like a visa or a yellow fever vaccination has been required. Actually, when those requirements were in effect, passengers who could not meet them were not allowed to board the ship as the countries involved would not clear the ship if they were onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is confusing.  And, of course this is an evolving situation that can change daily!

But, it sounds like Princess is walking a fine line here, and making no statement other than that they have agreed to 'vaccinated' cruises to Alaska this summer.

I don't see how they can say they adhere to CDC guildlines, NOT have the test cruises, and not require vaccination.

Princess is just as bad with confusing doublespeak and non-committal as many politicians!!!

I am not putting a whole lot of confidence in a webinar.

Can anybody fine ANYTHING at all, anywhere, in writing?

I posted earlier, after RCI's statement, I wonder when and or if Princess will make a clear public, or written, statement.

And,  what would one have to do to try to book with one of the few personal exemptions on vaccination?

Edited by Wishing on a star

On 6/5/2021 at 4:00 AM, dog said:

Obviously they were referring to cruise from US ports. CDC 

That's exactly what a PCL TA told me. ONLY the special AK cruises this summer on the Majestic out of Seattle (last one Sep 26) require vaccinations on those age 12 and above. None of the others on the books currently require vaccines. 

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Wishing on a star said:

And,  what would one have to do to try to book with one of the few personal exemptions on vaccination?

For children under 12, it will check if space is available during the booking process.

For 12 and above, if claiming a medical reason or religious objection, you (or your TA I assume) must contact Princess to make that claim.

1 hour ago, PRNole47 said:

That's exactly what a PCL TA told me. ONLY the special AK cruises this summer on the Majestic out of Seattle (last one Sep 26) require vaccinations on those age 12 and above. None of the others on the books currently require vaccines. 

Thanks for clarifying with Princess. 

12 hours ago, PRNole47 said:

Ok. BUT I searched for all the embarkation ports before November. Here's the ports with cruises up to Nov 2021:

20210606_213654.thumb.jpg.e6a805c32f4e3070395c6edcfc43c9f0.jpg

Which ones don't require pax to be vaccinated?

Edited by Ombud

23 hours ago, Ombud said:

Princess can ignore it by skipping Florida and sailing Alaska, Washington, California, Hawaii, and Mexico. There is another ocean. 

They can go out of Brooklyn all year round. Royal Caribbean does that out of Bayonne. I can’t wrap my mind around a private company being fined for trying to prevent illness. Someone explain the reasoning. 

• Like 6

34 minutes ago, pthjudy said:

They can go out of Brooklyn all year round. Royal Caribbean does that out of Bayonne. I can’t wrap my mind around a private company being fined for trying to prevent illness. Someone explain the reasoning. 

Political posturing!

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Ok. BUT I searched for all the embarkation ports before November. Here's the ports with cruises up to Nov 2021:

Which ones don't require pax to be vaccinated?

269458889_PCLAKcruisesCDC.thumb.JPG.d8551bee8b4fc64103d7a11bc95910f5.JPG

image.png

Edited by PRNole47

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

FWIW it's not LA, SF, or Seattle

The PCL TA informed me this past Friday (Jun 4)  that the only cruises from US ports that are actively booking right now that require fully vacc'd pax are the AK cruises on the Majestic out of Seattle. The other cruises are not now requiring full vaccinations. She said when and if other cruises (not the AK out of Seattle on the Majestic) institute any vacc requirements, booked guests will be emailed or texted or called announcing the changes. As for the ports in other countries, I did not ask since I'm not interested at this time in flying internationally to catch a cruise, like I used to do pre-Covid. But, in the webinar link that Addie19 so kindly posted, you have the answer at 10:16s of the video. Essentially, for PCL, only the AK-Majestic-Seattle PCL cruises require vacc. but for cruises out of the rest of US ports, PCL has not yet made the call and those cruises remain open to anyone, vacc'd or not. As for international ports, some cruise lines (i.e., HAL, Seabourn) require full vacc for cruises out of Greece & Barbados. 

So it's settled. Princes cruises outside of Alaska/Canada will require passengers to be vaccinated....or they won't.🤔

Our next cruise is from NOLA in December 2021; not on Princess, but on Carnival. Our next Princess cruise isn't until February 2022. Hopefully things will at least be decided by then; one way or the other! I'm hoping that cruises operating prior to December will have indicated things have turned a corner and we can start getting back to "normal".....whatever the new "normal" is........😳

Doug

4 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

So it's settled. Princes cruises outside of Alaska/Canada will require passengers to be vaccinated....or they won't.🤔

Our next cruise is from NOLA in December 2021; not on Princess, but on Carnival. Our next Princess cruise isn't until February 2022. Hopefully things will at least be decided by then; one way or the other! I'm hoping that cruises operating prior to December will have indicated things have turned a corner and we can start getting back to "normal".....whatever the new "normal" is........😳

Doug

Yep. We are scheduled to sail on Caribbean Princess on January 2nd. I'm just sitting back and watching this all unfold at this point. I'm sure that it will become clearer over time. 

38 minutes ago, Stevie17 said:

Yep. We are scheduled to sail on Caribbean Princess on January 2nd. I'm just sitting back and watching this all unfold at this point. I'm sure that it will become clearer over time. 

But probably not before it becomes less clear for a while. 

• Like 1

in other words they are requiring vaccination for the Alaska cruises because they have to if they want to get sailing quickly. Once the CDC let's them get away from the vaccine requirement without doing test cruises they will.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, pthjudy said:

Very simple.  Gov.D eSantis pulling a political stunt.  No other explanation

• Like 7

I still predict that eventually they we require vaccination if only because so many ports have low rates of vaccination and the ports will require vaccinations to dock, much like yellow fever in Brazil and Devils Island

• Like 2

3 hours ago, nocl said:

in other words they are requiring vaccination for the Alaska cruises because they have to if they want to get sailing quickly. Once the CDC let's them get away from the vaccine requirement without doing test cruises they will.

Alaska and Washington like the 95% vax rule. Imagine California  / Newsome will too. He's strict.