Royal reverses policy on proof of vaccination. Will Celebrity follow suit?

voyager90265

13 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

The Governor says a lot of things. It doesn’t make them lawful. Cruising is interstate and international commerce and state law cannot interfere with that. The Governor needs to go back for a refresher class on the US Constitution. 

I hope you are correct!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, lovrccl said:

I hope you are correct!

What I hope is that Celebrity and any other cruise line mandating vaccines (like NCL ) push back hard against his heavy handed methods and threaten to take him to court if he persists.  It’s all so ridiculous. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Wait and see but I expect it's going to change. The governor will not allow cruise lines sailing from Florida to ask guests if they have been vaccinated. 

The Governor is just enforcing Florida State law.  Your complaint should be with the Florida Legislature, not the Governor.  Asking him to not enforce the law is like asking the government agents  on the southern border not to enforce Federal law.  Once lawbreaking by government becomes common, what's the purpose of laws?

• Like 6

So I will not sail Royal Caribbean if they do not require vaccinations.  Simple for me.  But it is pretty stupid IMO.  Any significant COVID issues on board any of these ships requiring them to turn back affects the entire cruise industry.  What are they thinking?  Not time yet to throw caution to the wind.  Imagine the mega Oasis class ships even at 50-60% capacity loaded with unvaccinated kids.  And perhaps 50% unvaccinated adults.  The only thing absolutely guaranteed here with certainty is that there will be COVID cases on board.  If there are resulting hospitalizations and deaths, then none of us will be cruising on any ship for quite some time.  Sorry for being dramatic.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Just now, PTC DAWG said:

I’d leave this afternoon, not scared. 

You can't leave this afternoon, but there are plenty of sailings ready for booking. I assume you are booked on either Freedom on 2 July or Odyssey on 3 July?

12 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

So I will not sail Royal Caribbean if they do not require vaccinations.  Simple for me.  But it is pretty stupid IMO.  Any significant COVID issues on board any of these ships requiring them to turn back affects the entire cruise industry.  What are they thinking?  Not time yet to throw caution to the wind.  Imagine the mega Oasis class ships even at 50-60% capacity loaded with unvaccinated kids.  And perhaps 50% unvaccinated adults.  The only thing absolutely guaranteed here with certainty is that there will be COVID cases on board.  If there are resulting hospitalizations and deaths, then none of us will be cruising on any ship for quite some time.  Sorry for being dramatic.

I consider realistic, not dramatic.

On Monday we are cancelling our only RCCL sailing because of this idiotic policy. We will stick with the other 12 sailings booked, all with lines that mandate vaccinations. 

If you want a real taste of sentiment, visit the several threads on the Royal forum,  Lots of back and forth, but overall leans negative toward the decision.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Well said!  If the cruise lines don't require vaccinations,  this will not end well for the cruise lines or passengers.  Whatever happened to doing the right thing?  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Celebrity said they are in negotiations with the Florida Administration to make this work (some sort of weasel wording to let DeSantis save face). Unless DeSantis is getting very poor advice, he knows failing to work out a deal means the cruise lines go to court, get a Temporary Restraining Order allowing them to require vaccines (and then likely a fall trial where Florida will learn painful lessons about the Commerce Clause in the U.S. Constitution -- and potentially, the Supremacy clause, as the CDC is requiring vaccines for lines not doing test cruises, and federal authority almost always wins out over state authority), not to mention that states lack jurisdiction over international travel.

Didn't think I'd be dealing with this issue -- was booked on RCL Oasis out of Bayonne, NJ, which then cancelled. As my wife does not take no for answer when it comes to cruising, she found us a IV stateroom on Edge on the same dates out of Ft. Lauderdale. We're both vaccinated -- she's in health care, I'm in media, so were on the early side of getting shots (and will be first in line for a booster this fall if needed).

• Like 11

12 hours ago, lovrccl said:

Wait and see but I expect it's going to change. The governor will not allow cruise lines sailing from Florida to ask guests if they have been vaccinated. 

I'm not sure he banned "asking" if they are vaxed.  He banned requiring it.  Wouldn't a cruise line be allowed to let passengers volunteer to give their vax status?

26 minutes ago, marieps said:

I'm not sure he banned "asking" if they are vaxed.  He banned requiring it.  Wouldn't a cruise line be allowed to let passengers volunteer to give their vax status?

I don't think they would hit the 95% threshold by volunteering. This is why I think that all cruise lines out of FL will quickly be changing their stance on proof of vaccine. I honestly don't think it's going to be a choice in FL of what cruise lines are or aren't going to sail fully vaccinated....believe thats what the 180 turnaround with Royal. 

Just now, bajathree said:

I don't think they would hit the 95% threshold by volunteering. This is why I think that all cruise lines out of FL will quickly be changing their stance on proof of vaccine. I honestly don't think it's going to be a choice in FL of what cruise lines are or aren't going to sail fully vaccinated....believe thats why the 180 turnaround with Royal. 

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

I think that there is a lot of people who are scratching their head over this recent turn. Personally, I think this will come back to haunt them in a bad way. Hopefully the CDC will only penalize cruise lines who failed to take the proper precautions. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I don't think they would hit the 95% threshold by volunteering. This is why I think that all cruise lines out of FL will quickly be changing their stance on proof of vaccine. I honestly don't think it's going to be a choice in FL of what cruise lines are or aren't going to sail fully vaccinated....believe thats what the 180 turnaround with Royal. 

What was Royal’s vaccine position before the “turnaround”?

2 minutes ago, Oville said:

What was Royal’s vaccine position before the “turnaround”?

Just recently they stated that anyone who was eligible for the vaccine must have it to board. Basically anyone 16 and over. Effective August 1st, it moved to 12 and older. 

13 hours ago, miched said:

I read that  the governor of FL said he will fine the cruise lines $5000 pp if they require proof of a vaccination.   Will this actually happen?   If so the cruise lines cannot afford to pay it

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That will never hold up in court.  It looks like the governor of FL is just being ignored and most (all?) of the cruise lines are following the CDC guidelines and either requiring 95%-100% COVID vaccinations or doing test cruises, which is what Royal is doing.  But, understand sailing on Royal also entails wearing masks and distancing because of the road they’re taking.

NCL and Carnival are also going the vaccine route.

The reason I booked Celebrity was because of their vaccine policy.  

That won’t change,  because if it did, I’d cancel and ask for a refund.  I’m wondering if Royal is allowing refunds given their policy change?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Just recently they stated that anyone who was eligible for the vaccine must have it to board. Basically anyone 16 and over. Effective August 1st, it moved to 12 and older. 

Isn’t that Celebrity’s rule?

Edited by Oville
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

The text hasn't changed.   I quoted this FAQ on May 17th in this thread

I took that to mean that eventually Celebrity will not require vaccines, but that time is well after these initial cruises have happened.  I would think the point of herd immunity will be the gating factor on the vaccine requirement.  Hopefully, that’s sometime in the July/August time frame.

12 hours ago, Oville said:

Why do you think Celebrity will follow suit?  Royal and Celebrity were never going down the same path to resume cruising.  

I said "if".  I don't know what they will do.  But as they are owned by the same company, it is clear that they are willing to do whatever it takes to sail.  That is what concerns me.

10 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

There is no guarantee that a ship will not require masks. Right now it seems that masks are not needed on vaccinated cruises per the CDC but that can change. It can also change once on board if there’s an issue. Right now everyone has to be ready for whatever comes their way. The cruise lines are covering themselves in this area.

I agree that there is no guarantee, as situations can change.  But unless the vaccines suddenly start proving ineffective to variants, I see no reason for the CDC to reverse their policy, and in turn the cruise lines.  I was willing to sail wearing a mask as need be, even though I don't like doing so.  But to have to wear a mask and all the baloney that comes with social distancing on a ship because the governor of Florida has forced the cruise lines into a corner is infuriating.   And the increased risk of illness, possible quarantine, ship shore excursions only or prohibited from visiting some ports - I am definitely not ok with that!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Oville said:

Isn’t that Celebrity’s rule?

Yes, I think so. RCI seemed to be following that rule but they were also doing the test cruises because of the large number of families on board it would have been difficult to maintain the 95% vaccine rate. Now they’re “strongly” advising that you be vaccinated if you’re eligible.

4 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I agree that there is no guarantee, as situations can change.  But unless the vaccines suddenly start proving ineffective to variants, I see no reason for the CDC to reverse their policy, and in turn the cruise lines.  I was willing to sail wearing a mask as need be, even though I don't like doing so.  But to have to wear a mask and all the baloney that comes with social distancing on a ship because the governor of Florida has forced the cruise lines into a corner is infuriating.   And the increased risk of illness, possible quarantine, ship shore excursions only or prohibited from visiting some ports - I am definitely not ok with that!

This was our issue. We had a stateroom on hold last weekend for the 8/07 Edge. Right now there are too many questions that still need to be answered. Even with a 95% or above vaccination rate it’s still possible for a virus breakout. How many passengers have to test positive to end a cruise? How will shore excursions be handled? For us we would have plopped down over ten grand for that cruise with airfare. Just too big of a risk right now. We decided to take a wait and see approach. Hoping that maybe a ship gets moved out west so no airfare would be required.😊

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

You basically ignored all the reasons I posted that explained why I think you should care.  There is so much more to it than just whether you need to wear a mask or not.  That is what I am focusing on.  Mask wearing is annoying, but a small inconvenience compared to some of the other things that can go wrong.

You forgot to mention that passengers have to agree to follow X's protocols on board and anyone who doesn’t comply might be put off at the next port.

Problem solved...

Edited by C-Dragons
  • Like 6