Zaandam ‘Round the World’??

LocoLoco1

I’m not sure ZAANDAM will suit me for it’s planned RTW/Grand Voyages. Prinsendam was unique/great, Maasdam was a dud IMHO. If it was a RTW on the Koningsdam I’d be booked. Thoughts??

47 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I’m not sure ZAANDAM will suit me for it’s planned RTW/Grand Voyages. Prinsendam was unique/great, Maasdam was a dud IMHO. If it was a RTW on the Koningsdam I’d be booked. Thoughts??

Not happening. 

11 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I'm not sure why you think a ship the size of the Koningsdam would be good for any Grand Voyage.  The Amsterdam, the same class as the Zaandam, was used for the GWV as well as the Grand Asia.  It is the perfect size ship because it can get into exotic ports that are the trademark of the Grand Voyages.  Further, the Grand Voyages are not usually filled, so how would you expect that a even larger ship could have sufficient capacity to justify a three-four months' expensive voyage.  I am so sorry that HAL chose to sell the Amsterdam and the Rotterdam.  We were looking forward to another long cruise on her, but we will still enjoy three months on the Zaandam should the opportunity arise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

The Zaandam is a sister ship to the Amsterdam, which used to do the Grand World Voyages, so no change there.

I’m puzzled by your preference of either the Prinsendam or the  Koningsdam for the World Cruise. Are you saying the Zaandam is too big, or too small?

4 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

The Zaandam is a sister ship to the Amsterdam, which used to do the Grand World Voyages, so no change there.

I’m puzzled by your preference of either the Prinsendam or the  Koningsdam for the World Cruise. Are you saying the Zaandam is too big, or too small?

Small correction: Zaandam is the sister of the Volendam and the Amsterdam is the sister of the Rotterdam 6

2 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Small correction: Zaandam is the sister of the Volendam and the Amsterdam is the sister of the Rotterdam 6

True, but all four were R Class vessels and duplicates of each other in layout. There was some variation in cabin configuration, such as Deck 7 suites and Lanai cabins, which changed passenger capacity slightly. By and large though, when you compare the deck plans they are all the same ship.

• Thanks 1

The Zaandam, to me, seems from another Era nowadays; because it IS. No bling-bling on a RTW might wear too thin. A Cunard RTW segment was great and so was Prinsendam’s, so size isn’t an issue with me. Think I’ll pass. 

7 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

The Zaandam, to me, seems from another Era nowadays; because it IS. No bling-bling on a RTW might wear too thin. A Cunard RTW segment was great and so was Prinsendam’s, so size isn’t an issue with me. Think I’ll pass. 

You have me curious and I am a Prinsendam fan, for sure.  

How can you say the Prinsendam was great and the Zaandam is from another era?  Prinsendam was much older than Zaandam and was from another era (and one of the reasons we loved her).  She certainly did not have bling - but she had class.  The R class ships are as close to the P’dam as you can get now that she’s gone.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Prinsendam indeed had class. The QE2 was impressive and we typically take longer cruises.. 30/days+ on vessels of all sizes.  But lately reviews of Zaandam are often downright brutal, thus my hesitancy to book. Ports-o-Call miss many of my ‘bucket-list’ stops as well, so for now I’m non-commital.

1 hour ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Prinsendam indeed had class. The QE2 was impressive and we typically take longer cruises.. 30/days+ on vessels of all sizes.  But lately reviews of Zaandam are often downright brutal, thus my hesitancy to book. Ports-o-Call miss many of my ‘bucket-list’ stops as well, so for now I’m non-commital.

My last cruise before the shutdown was on Zaandam and, although somewhat dated, I thought she was fine.  It had been 8 years since we had last said on her. I loved the "old" Crows Nest and Piano bar.  Many cabins have been updated.

But lately reviews of Zaandam are often downright brutal, thus my hesitancy to book.

My cruise from Santiago to Buenos Aires, with a few days in Antarctica, was my most recent Zaandam cruise.  Just the year before my 2019 Volendam's Christmas/New Year's Cruise.  There was nothing "brutal" about my experiences on either of those ships.  Given that the Zaandam is of the same "R" Class of the Amsterdam, there is NO reason why she is not able to provide the same type of cruise experience that the Amsterdam did.  Decor different?  Yes.  Zaandam's decor is music oriented.  What was the decor theme of the Amsterdam?  If there was one.  

In the end, it’s YOUR cruise. Find the ship, the price, the timing, and the itinerary that works out to the best balance for YOU and book it. You have to do what works for YOU, or you won’t be happy.

The biggest thing I finally learned on the 2020 GVM on the Amsterdam was this: with 1200 people on board the same ship going to the same ports at the same time, there were 1200 different journeys taking place. 
(OK, so the biggest thing I actually learned was never take a world cruise when a global crisis breaks out, but let’s not be picky.😉)

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

In the end, it’s YOUR cruise. Find the ship, the price, the timing, and the itinerary that works out to the best balance for YOU and book it. You have to do what works for YOU, or you won’t be happy.

The biggest thing I finally learned on the 2020 GVM on the Amsterdam was this: with 1200 people on board the same ship going to the same ports at the same time, there were 1200 different journeys taking place. 
(OK, so the biggest thing I actually learned was never take a world cruise when a global crisis breaks out, but let’s not be picky.😉)

Let me know if you can figure that out beforehand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Oh Kirk, are you seriously suggesting I take my own advice? 😄

Yes I want you to let us know if you know beforehand if a cruise will end as the WC 2020 did.  It would save me a lot of work chasing down luggage and catching last minute flights.  😎😉😜

Edited by KirkNC

5 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Yes I want you to let us know if you know beforehand if a cruise will end as the WC 2020 did.  It would safe me a lot of work chasing down luggage and catching last minute flights.  😎😉😜

It was cleverly planned on my part. We really didn’t have storage space at home for those four big suitcases.  I consider getting HAL to hang on to them for an additional seven months at no extra charge to be a stroke of genius. Next time I’ll be more considerate and tip you off!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

KirkNC, Which leads me to this: What WILL a post-Covid cruise of long duration look like?? No more snooping the local haunts, only HAL group offerings? Poolside and dining ambiance unknown? Theater offerings? Social mixing?? All no biggies for a 3-day suntan cruise. Major considerations for a RTW. 

2 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

KirkNC, Which leads me to this: What WILL a post-Covid cruise of long duration look like?? No more snooping the local haunts, only HAL group offerings? Poolside and dining ambiance unknown? Theater offerings? Social mixing?? All no biggies for a 3-day suntan cruise. Major considerations for a RTW. 

Cruising will be back to pre-covid conditions in January 2022.     

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LocoLoco1 said:

I think that’s a legit concern.

11 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

It was cleverly planned on my part. We really didn’t have storage space at home for those four big suitcases.  I consider getting HAL to hang on to them for an additional seven months at no extra charge to be a stroke of genius. Next time I’ll be more considerate and tip you off!

Add me to your mailing list, please.

• Haha 1

I’m left wondering: For extended future cruises, might HAL Post-Covid cruise contract fine-print contain any changes regarding Trip Insurance and cruiseline liabilities if one is not vaccinated etc. and/or the wheels fall off again, ala March 2020? My pending Sept ‘22’ ALASKA documents appear unchanged, but I’m not a lawyer. 

On 6/5/2021 at 8:39 PM, LocoLoco1 said:

I loved Maasdam - went to Easter Island; Australia & South Pacific Islands, scheduled for Alaska (sold out from under me) one of my favorite ships.  Did one on Prinsendam and loved it.  Done 2 on Zaandam - will sail on the "little ships" as long as they keep them.

• Like 7