The Daily for Sunday Jun 06, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, USN59-79 said:

I understand the need to protect your flowers, but I enjoy seeing rabbits in our yard.  We never used to have them, but they started showing up this year.  When we had a couple of weeks of dry weather I was worrying that they couldn't find water, so I placed a container under a hedge for them and kept it full.  I once lived on a farm in Eastern Washington where we were plagued with jack rabbits.  But these rabbits are much smaller with very short ears compared to the jack rabbits.  I wonder if they are really wild or are some Easter bunnies that someone let loose.

You are like my neighbour that feeds the squirrels and then they bring their peanuts over to my yard, dig them in and dig up my bulbs 😉 

I love seeing animals outside of my fence.  Birds are always welcome.  The rest can stay outside of the fence 😉 

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, dfish said:

The rabbits in our neighborhood were "pets" that were let loose.  One of the neighbors had them and they multiplied to the point that they were over running the house, so he just let them all go.  It was really bad here for a while.  When the former nun next door swore she would come out with a shot gun to get the ones eating her lettuce, I knew it was really bad.  I shared some dried blood with her and that helped.   She didn't have to buy her shot gun.

LOL. Thank heavens she didn’t buy a gun.

DH has a saying - “the only thing that works with deer is a gun or a fence”.  

After trying Irish Spring, the spray, dog hair, the dogs (dam deer learned where the invisible fencing line was - I kid you not) and everything else there was, we opted for the fence.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, mamaofami said:

Sam is having surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. We are told he’s in the best hospital on the east coast for this type of surgery. 

Carol

Prayers for a successful surgery. It's great he's at a very good hospital; so important. I like that there are 2 big topnotch hospitals here where I live.

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

You are like my neighbour that feeds the squirrels and then they bring their peanuts over to my yard, dig them in and dig up my bulbs 😉 

I love seeing animals outside of my fence.  Birds are always welcome.  The rest can stay outside of the fence 😉 

22 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

That is something for me to focus on. I have been watering frequently. And a few months ago I put an extra load of “chicken’s best”, which I believe is high in nitrogen.

@kazu They are in the ground, or in large barrels, so moving indoors won’t work.

@Vict0riann I just might need to use them green. Have never had fried green tomatoes. Yet.

@Mary229 I’d offer up the services of our Golden Retriever, but he doesn’t like heat and doesn’t want to be away from family. He gets his kicks out of chasing rabbits. And squirrels. His eyes get really round and he starts looking like Whiley Coyote.

That would be great.  My silly cat is afraid of the rabbits.  One nose butted her one day and she jumped higher than the rabbit and ran for the inside 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, mamaofami said:

please pray for my husband, Sam. He went by ambulance to the hospital with what I think is a stroke.

Carol

Extremely sorry to hear about this Carol! 😔 Prayers and good wishes to your husband and you! All the best! 😘

• Like 9

Sam is having surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. We are told he’s in the best hospital on the east coast for this type of surgery. Without it he would be a vegetable and I know he wouldn’t want to live that way. I can’t even go to the hospital because I’m not vaccinated, but my kids are there. No visitors till after the surgery anyway.

Carol

Prayers coming your way.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Prayers for a successful surgery. It's great he's at a very good hospital; so important. I like that there are 2 big topnotch hospitals here where I live.

Which hospitals are you near? My son works at Penn Presby.

• Like 8

Sam is having surgery to remove a blood clot from his brain. We are told he’s in the best hospital on the east coast for this type of surgery. Without it he would be a vegetable and I know he wouldn’t want to live that way. I can’t even go to the hospital because I’m not vaccinated, but my kids are there. No visitors till after the surgery anyway.

Carol

Prayers and all positive thoughts on the way. I know you are terribly stressed not being there. Take care of yourself as best you can. Cyberhugs.

Susan

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

It has occurred to me that Sasha can possibly get better care, from the vet school at Cornell, than I can get for myself.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

I'm on the other side of the state. Pittsburgh. We have Allegheny General Hospital and Presbyterian University Hospital as the two main ones.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

I'm on the other side of the state. Pittsburgh. We have Allegheny General Hospital and Presbyterian University Hospital as the two main ones.

We're almost neighbors, Vanessa.   I'm in northeast Ohio, just 2 hours from Pittsburgh. I have a cousin who lives in Ambridge.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, mamaofami said:

please pray for my husband, Sam. He went by ambulance to the hospital with what I think is a stroke.

Carol

So sorry to hear this. Sending prayers your way for both of you. You are in our thoughts. take Care

• Like 9

Thanks for all the information today.

Yes, we have been to Komodo Island, the first visit on Volendam we did the early ship excursion to look for dragons.  There were two choices, the long tour or the short. We opted  for the long walk, which took us up and down small hills on our dragon hunt, after about an hour the guide pointed out some dragon tracks, we walked on, fortunately everyone was wearing sun hats, loose clothing and I used my umbrella as a parasol. Fresh water was offered at one stage of the walk. We finally discovered the dragons asleep under trees a few yards from where we had started the walk.  The heat was intense, after we were back in the bliss of the air conditioned Volendam, we heard that one of the passengers had collapsed with heat stroke, while on  the island.

During our  second stop at Komodo Island on the Maasdam, we stayed on board the ship.

Thanks to everyone who posted the Komodo photos.

Take care everyone.

• Like 12

7 hours ago, kazu said:

Can you put some type of netting around them?

Rabbits are great sniffers and don’t like certain things.  Try dusting your plants with talcum powder or sprinkle powdered red pepper around the garden or on targeted plants.  Another trick that has been used for them and deer (doesn’t work with my deer) is Irish Spring soap shavings in little bags around the garden.

One plus for the soap - it lasts longer than the talcum and red pepper as they have to be replaced every time it rains.

Your garden centre will have a deterrent you can spray on the plants but again, it has to be re-applied when it rains.

Have any ceramic owls, snakes or anything like that?  Stick them in the garden and move them around every day.  Those are rabbit predators and some people have had success with that.

Are you sorry you asked yet?  LOL.  A fence, netting, etc. Is the absolute best thing.  It’s why my backyard is fenced and the front is enclosed in the warm weather.  

@Mary229 @dfish @kazu

I'm going to post what my Mom did with netting around her garden tomorrow, gotta dig up (npi) the pictures.

• Like 8

Good evening everyone!  Sorry for my lateness, it’s been a long day and once I started reading the Daily it was 7 pages!  Wow!  So much happening with our “family”. 

Thanks to everyone who who posted pictures of Normandy and Komodo Island. I want to see Normandy but not Komodo. Once I read that the dragons can smell blood up to 5 miles away I was done. I would be the one with a paper cut trying to run, what a nightmare. 

I will post more pictures tomorrow but will leave with tonight’s sunset. 
9F39529B-C2BA-4AF7-9689-5A6F91AA56FC.thumb.jpeg.bc929da510f12688f7cf6863d6b954e8.jpeg

• Like 17

We are back from our camping trip.  Great weather.  Ate way too much good food.  Enjoyed relaxing and playing games with the grandkids and good visits around the campfire.  Now back to helping with grandkids school transportation and laundry.  

D-day is a day to remember.  We visited Normandy twice.  Once from the Princendam and another on a road trip before another cruise.  Both very interesting and so glad we made the trips.  Things could be very different if not for those heroic actions by all involved.

Seems like a lot has happened in the few short days since I have been without internet.  Prayers to all those on care list.  Congrats to those on the celebrations list.  Thank you to all who post here.  

Stay well and safe.

• Like 13