The Daily for Monday Jun 07, 2021

richwmn

5 hours ago, kazu said:

OK, might be the best place to have ice cream on the island, but it’s NOT the best in Canada as their sign claims.   Take my word for it 😉 

Where is the "best" place in Canada?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Thank your DH for the sleuthing. I was wondering if court stenographers are still used. I had two relatives who studied that; it was a pretty good job at one time.

They were still used when I did my most recent jury duty. That was 2 or 3 years ago.

I was an alternate and she sat about 12 feet from me. It was interesting to watch her. The defendant was closer- about 8 feet away. It was fascinating to watch/ listen to  the interpreter talk for him. She just about BECAME him, with voice inflection and his gestures. After the trial finished, ( he was convicted), the story was re-enacted on one of those crime programs. 

8 hours ago, Norseh2o said:.  Yesterday (Sunday) we went to church. It was the last outdoor service, we will worship inside next week! I was excited to dress up, earrings for the first time in months, a skirt, twin set and I even wore a hat! Prayers for all! 

Our church lifted the mask requirement last week. Yesterday I served for the first time indoors, sans mask. That was the first time I’ve put on makeup for some time. (When you wear a mask you might just as well just put the makeup on the inside of it and save time. It just doesn’t stay put on the face.) It was nice. We still offer an outdoor service on Saturdays. 

• Like 17

😉Just thought of the 'Chocolate Festival' we went to in the medieval city of Obidos during a day trip from Lisbon. 🍦

It will be hard for us returning to in-person church after just listening on line and enjoying a comfy chair at home @Norseh2o.

Best Wishes to @Horizon chaser 1957in your special day.🎂

Continued prayers for Sam @mamaofami!🙏

Katie

FB_IMG_1587960007586.jpg

FB_IMG_1623071931678.jpg

0_20210204_222608.jpg

FB_IMG_1619703738462.jpg

• Like 21
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, atexsix said:

Somebody's going to have to further explain June bugs, I've lived in many states but don't ever recall anything about them or hearing about them, perhaps I did not have an encounter?  What's remarkable about them that makes them infamous?

image.jpeg.9736b1e30373d7c28a27bf66c75af915.jpegJune bugs are

to ducks as escargot are to some of us HAL cruisers!

• Like 9
  • Haha 6

44 minutes ago, bdrcole said:

Where is the "best" place in Canada?

LOL. It’s all a matter of taste but there is a little spot in New Brunswick that will blow you away.

If you are coming to the Maritimes, along with Copper’s suggestion I recommend Sully’s in Sussex (Home made and lots of choices),   

If you have the luck to go to Newfoundland try Moo Moo’s.

If you are in Halifax, Dee Dee’s.

I have a favourite here but i’s because it has the ice cream I like - maritime sea salt.  A good Maritime Sea Salt Caramel is worth it’s weight in gold and  one of the few ice creams I enjoy so I am a tad prejudiced. 🙂 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

(you may take me off, my problems are mostly long term although prayers are always appreciated) and may there be healing for all concerned 🙏

If you don't mind I'll keep you on until you have an answer on your fall injury and then put you on the rotation list.

Roy

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. Boston said:

image.jpeg.9736b1e30373d7c28a27bf66c75af915.jpegJune bugs are

to ducks as escargot are to some of us HAL cruisers!

Love it.

We need more ducks here.  We just have a pair of mallards. 😉 

I abhor those things.  The noise is horrible and the destruction is worse.  Why the heck did they get a day????

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, kazu said:

LOL. It’s all a matter of taste but there is a little spot in New Brunswick that will blow you away.

If you are coming to the Maritimes, along with Copper’s suggestion I recommend Sully’s in Sussex (Home made and lots of choices),   

If you have the luck to go to Newfoundland try Moo Moo’s.

If you are in Halifax, Dee Dee’s.

I have a favourite here but i’s because it has the ice cream I like - maritime sea salt.  A good Maritime Sea Salt Caramel is worth it’s weight in gold and  one of the few ice creams I enjoy so I am a tad prejudiced. 🙂 

I live outside of Dartmouth and I have to admit I have not heard of Dee Dee’s.  I will have to check it out and report back on my findings.  I agree, Cow’s is ok but like you I have had better.  

• Like 11

Just now, bdrcole said:

I live outside of Dartmouth and I have to admit I have not heard of Dee Dee’s.  I will have to check it out and report back on my findings.  I agree, Cow’s is ok but like you I have had better.  

I hope it is still there.  It was when we were there and I liked it better than Cow’s.  But that’s just me.  

I don’t eat a lot of ice cream but I am really fussy.  If I don’t like it, I will toss it and not eat it.

it has to be good to really enjoy and make it worth the calories 😉

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Av8rix said:

Can't celebrate today's "Chocolate Ice Cream Day".  Suffered for many years until I  joined Ice Cream Anonymous and I'm proud to say that I've been clean and sober for 6 years now...and remaining at my target weight.😉

We're pretty much polar opposites.  I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2002.  I made a pact with myself that I would be very careful with my diet and my reward would be to include ice cream in my plan every day.  I'm quite proud of how I did.  The Doctor put me on Avandia, and after about 6 months was taken off and have not needed diabetes meds since.  My ice cream servings tend to be small but its pretty much a principle that I very rarely miss.  I've even been known on occasions when it clearly won't be available to carry some freeze dried ice cream with me.  I also dropped my weight in the first year by about 79 pounds.  This has been a bad year for me with 3 nights in the hospital without ice cream.  I hope to do better in the next year.

If no ice cream works for you that is very worthwhile.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We're pretty much polar opposites.  I was diagnosed with Diabetes in 2002.  I made a pact with myself that I would be very careful with my diet and my reward would be to include ice cream in my plan every day.  I'm quite proud of how I did.  The Doctor put me on Avandia, and after about 6 months was taken off and have not needed diabetes meds since.  My ice cream servings tend to be small but its pretty much a principle that I very rarely miss.  I've even been known on occasions when it clearly won't be available to carry some freeze dried ice cream with me.  I also dropped my weight in the first year by about 79 pounds.  This has been a bad year for me with 3 nights in the hospital without ice cream.  I hope to do better in the next year.

If no ice cream works for you that is very worthwhile.

Roy

This might be a good time to air something I've been thinking for a very long time.  Your daily meal suggestions, Roy, always sound absolutely perfect.  The courses are complementary, and in print the meals sound restrained, not overly caloric, yet still delicious.  It's interesting to hear that you order with health in mind.  I'm seriously taking notes.  😊

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to Rich for the Daily, and to Roy for the lists.

We don't have June bugs here.

Have not been to the port of the day, thanks for the photos.

@Horizon chaser 1957Happy Birthday to your DH and  to your DD for tomorrow.

@mamaofami thank you for your update, glad that Sam is doing well. Best wishes for his continued improvement.

We have sunshine here today, but only 13 C expected.

Take care everyone.

• Like 14

As I said, we have been to Newfoundland a few times, and once we did drive from Gander to L'Anse aux Meadows , and further north to a small town where we stayed for a few days with DD.  I didn't pay a lot of attentions to where we were going as she was doing the driving.  So when I say something is somewhere, it's all guesses..

St. Anthony's

P1030524.JPG.ef49ba1ffa5cfc952213019f0381a58b.JPG

Western Brook Pond (from a postcard)

IMG_0002.jpg.55e1cebf19450a4c8f740573bcbd5d3d.jpg

?  But you know this island is called "The Rock", right?

P1030586.JPG.9ea4501d61ddfe657461984758ff0f78.JPG

I think this is St. Anthony's, too.

P1030530.JPG.0425fb53a7743e1724b3bb4e2518a5e0.JPG

L'Anse aux Meadows

P1030502.JPG.63786c2ba1aef5f9395a84d732e5838d.JPG

They have their own language, too.  The buildings built over the water are called "stages".

CIMG1354.thumb.JPG.9937171de3e1b123fa0c9a5f8ef49801.JPG

Lupines by the roadside

CIMG1269.thumb.JPG.348ca9fea8b656ff916a807397099614.JPG

Edited by Vict0riann
  • Like 18

Yesterday was very busy... I just got done reading the Daily😱

Tillamook has a "Sea Salt & Honeycomb Toffee" frozen custard that is sold at Target (the only place so far that I've found it) that is yummy. 😋 (Tillamook also has Oregon Marionberry Cheesecake and Pendleton Whisky & Maple frozen custards, both are also very yummy.)

On to today's Daily! 😉

• Like 5