The Daily for Monday Jun 07, 2021

richwmn

Good Morning and thank you for the dailies.  I talked to the Sis and she is, so far, having no adverse reactions to her first round of treatment.   As a matter of fact she was all hung-ho to go to Boston and board the American Cruise Lines Cape Cod circuit.  I told her to get through the 2nd round successfully and we would be happy to sail with her. 

I don't like chocolate ice cream but I do love vanilla ice cream smothered in fudge sauce.  I love any salad. Though I seldom drink when I do it is Chardonnay.  I will give your choice a try.  

Thanks for the pics, our next HAL voyage is on the Nieuw Statendam.

• Like 25

1 hour ago, cat shepard said:

North Americans might have a hunt on their hands for this “zippy” South African Chardonnay. I found a rating for the 2016 vintage, and one International distributor offering it for $46.99. Many more International distributors for later vintages. Shipping might be prohibitive. 

Winemaker Notes

Inviting flint and mineral aromas with fresh lemon blossom and grapefruit nuances. A delicate composition of lemongrass and subtle, lightly roasted macadamia nut. Polished pallet with a smooth textured mouthfeel.

Recommended with seared scallops on a bed of lemon and herb risotto.Certified Sustainable 

JS92 James Suckling: This is very much focused on stone fruit with apple pastries, jasmine and honeysuckle. The palate's very linear and taut with zippy acidity. A textured finish.

Poke..🤩

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Another vote for the Sea Salt Caramel as it is delicious.  Then again, I haven't met too many types of ice cream that I couldn't force myself to enjoy.  Especially with the 95 degree F weather we have been getting.  Even a couple of 100 degree F days already.  We may be looking at a hot summer if it starts out this early.

• Like 20

Good Morning Everyone, thanks for the daily report.  Another hot day here and I’d enjoy some chocolate ice cream.  I do enjoy a mimosa now and then.  Haven’t had one since my last cruise on the Veendam.  Hopefully that changes in two months! With the heat I’m not turning on the oven so will work on some leftovers from the freezer.

image.thumb.png.dfdd47f54546af2be911748b1de05fb6.png

• Like 27
  • Haha 3

Good morning.   Showers and thunderstorms are predicted for today and tonight.  Now that I have finished (finally) cleaning the driveway, sidewalk and patio, it can rain all it wants today.  It is warm and muggy here too, and it was 75F at 6:45 this morning.

We can celebrate trial technology day, as DH had many beta versions of his software to get the bugs out before he released it to his customers.  I read that June bugs are natures croutons. 

I can agree with @rafinmd, Roy, with alll the ransomware out there, we need to be careful using technology.  

Keeping my fingers crossed  that 🤞  this won't jinx us, since we haven't had any June bugs appear this year, but we had them every year when we first moved here.  Chocolate ice cream is my day since it's my favorite.  @kazu, @cat shepard, @smitty34877, @Mary229, @travelnap and all others who don't care for it, I'll gladly take yours.  🍦

We will pass on the menu, and instead, have crab cakes and asparagus cooked in the air fryer, along with a salad of some sort and wine.  I'll gladly have a mimosa anytime, and it's a great way to get my vitamin c.  🥂 🤣

Like today's quote.

@mamaofami  Hope Sam's surgery was successful, and you got some rest.

@Mary229  Happy your DS tolerated her treatment without adverse reactions.

While we have not set foot in St. Anthony, I have pictures taken from the ship.  In 2009, the captain decided it was too rough to tender or dock, but he gave us a glimpse of it.  Hope someone else has pictures from the port.

IMG_6051.thumb.JPG.729ad78096d9923cf688504e2308697e.JPG

IMG_6052.thumb.JPG.57d75b4ddf18f842c1338cd5838ca5ed.JPG

IMG_6054.thumb.JPG.55a51e9473a5c2e6c9c2a41e3cf7b84f.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 33

Rich thank you for the Daily. 

Continuing with prayers for our Roy and all on his list. Love to my east and west coast sisters.

We have our pedicures today with another couple, and wanted to try a new place downtown for lunch but they are closed on Mondays..

I am a professed June bug hater. My dad used to tell us they would bite, so I freaked out when they landed on me,  doing a "June Bug Dance". Their hissing gave me nightmares! Later learned they do not bite or sting.. 

image.png.64b0b461c1c9650d810fba654763ec4a.png

Can't resist chocolate anything!!

image.png.a706126ba2f86607c2d8e891fd63f683.png

My sister comes to visit tomorrow afternoon from California. Can't wait to see her! Last time we were together we were hugging before Allen and I boarded the Oosterdam 15 months ago. 

Blessings,  cares, prayers and cheers.

• Like 25

I hope Carol is sleeping well and not dealing with something more serious.  I will be offline most of the rest of the day as I see my surgeon after lunch and have a church finance meeting until about 6PM.

Roy

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

I hope Carol is sleeping well and not dealing with something more serious.  I will be offline most of the rest of the day as I see my surgeon after lunch and have a church finance meeting until about 6PM.

Roy

Hoping your surgeon is DELIGHTED with your progress, and prescribes a BHB Cruise ASAP!  😉

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

I have been to St. Anthony.  It was on a major road trip in 2000, the highlight of which was a visit to L'Anse au Meadows commemorating the 2000 anniversary of it's settlement by the Vikings.  I don't have any photos but do have a story, not one of Newfoundland's best moments.

We were at a hotel in St. Anthony and I went out for an afternoon walk.  It was just a walk and I wasn't carrying much.  Toward the end of the walk I was approached by a constable and asked for identification.  I didn't think I would need it as it was just a brief stroll.  He ordered me to get in his car and go to the hotel to get my license.  He was looking for an escaped convict.  When I showed my license he said "You'd better keep your ID with you, you'll probably be stopped again".

This was before I was diagnosed with diabetes.  I learned a few days later that the convict was 135 pounds and about 35 years old.  At the time I was almost 60 and weighed about 220.  Not much of a match.

Roy

• Like 28
  • Haha 1

Good morning everyone. Thank you all for  your prayers and concerns about Sam. He is doing better this morning. They are still doing neuro evals to see how he is improving. I’m planning to go to the hospital later with my children as soon as they move him out of recovery and into an ICU bed. At the moment, there isn’t one available but the recovery room is a good place to be.

I will update when I see him.

Carol

Edited by mamaofami
  • Like 40
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Thank you all for  your prayers and concerns about Sam. He is doing better this morning. They are still doing neuro evals to see how he is improving. I’m planning to go to the hospital later with my children as soon as they move him out of recovery and into an ICU bed. At the moment, there isn’t one available but the recovery room is a good place to be.

Carol

That's great news!  Thanks for the update.

• Like 14

16 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Prayers for your husband and you.

• Like 16

Good morning all!

If I have ice cream, which isn't very often, it definitely would have to be chocolate.  No June Bugs for me either, thanks.  The drink and wine both sound good, will pass on the meal.  

I hope to get out in the garden today between rain showers. Yesterday's whale watching was fun, but a bit long for a 6-year-old -- he did love seeing the whales though.  It was also cold out on the deck.  DH got some good video of the Orcas feeding on something, most likely a seal, so there was a lot of activity.

@mamaofamigreat news about your DH!

We were in St. Anthony on the Voyage of the Vikings in 2018.  We took the tour to L'Anse Aux Meadows and had a great day.

1395941368_St.Anthony.jpg.21feb4ea18c0a9422133be121ca05a66.jpg

834311746_LAnseAuxMeadows.jpg.7a20014544d530d1f49b2e10ffe5f467.jpg

boat.jpg.8360798c06b926f3e482b1f570cbea00.jpg

house.jpg.09a494065b0b80506f556b17c1a3fe27.jpg

995350373_sodbuildingandcostumedVikings.jpg.80aff08470fb6e30e8e92fa05935e22d.jpg

1185790392_sodbuilding.jpg.14008842a18c2199dd9be945d168749c.jpg

gardens.jpg.89a9a9c02df817b879e08eff748b97b4.jpg

447154071_furskins.jpg.d281049283efe1778af3fd2c51847d0b.jpg

1176655229_cookingfish.jpg.4dc56ef32af9d09d995f994177211dbc.jpg

161581001_insidechurch.jpg.f0f36c3c1b402b67336541be5b7bcd8b.jpg

• Like 34
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. Carol @mamaofami hope Sam is comfortable! 😊

We haven't been to today's port but I like to say 'not yet!' Salads are a favorite....almost any kind and occasionally a Mimosa (restaurant or 🚢).

Kilwins or Tillamook but make it chocolate mint chip, lol! 🍦

🙏Prayers for all in need and have a good week, 

Katie

chocolate-ice-cream-day-mangomini.jpg

• Like 25

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

I would certainly like to try Sea Salt Caramel - I'll bet it's scrumptious!

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I don't think I've ever seen Maritime Sea Salt ice cream but it sounds heavenly.

Roy

It is really good. 🙂.  The one I get is only available in the Maritimes right now, I believe.  Plans to move it across Canada I heard with the success here.

@mamaofamiso good to hear that Sam has come through surgery well.  Hope the evaluations are positive!  Prayers for you both 🙏🏻 

• Like 18

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile & thanks to all the contributors of lists, food & wine 🙂 

What a strange collection of days!  How and why did June bugs even get a day?  They can destroy lawns and vegetation and the bane of our existence here in New Brunswick. 😡 

I’m not a big chocolate ice cream fan but many of my friends love chocolate.  So I’ll celebrate chocolate with all the chocaholics 🙂 

4D676BBB-73AF-401E-A956-DFF27B38B295.jpeg.9bcea96497878e2e9c8541df5ec84e21.jpeg

Love the Lang quote but I think I will pass on the Farro.  A Mimosa would go down great this morning working outside 😉 

@mamaofamiI hope Sam had a successful surgery 🙏🏻 

Sadly, we haven’t gotten to Newfoundand yet.  We had a trip planned until covid hit.  I’m really looking forward to going.  I have some Newfoundlander friends and they are the greatest Maritimers - tremendous sense of humour, kind, thoughtful and tough all at the same time.  

Garden Club Participants: :  A word on yesterday’s Daily inspired me on this one.   My go to insecticide and fungal fighter is Neem Oil.

We got an infestation of the dreaded lily beetle that can decimate lilies in days.  They are moving across North America now sadly and a devil to fight.

While I got it originally to fight those dreaded beetles, it can also kill whitefly, aphids, Japanese beetles, moths larvae, scale & spider mites.  And as long as it has the hydrophobic extract it can also be used as a fungicide against rust, black spot, mildew, leaf spot, scab, blight, etc.

Best of all it’s environmentally friendly and will NOT hurt beneficial insects like bees and lady bugs.

Generally, it is mixed at the rate of 2 TBSP or 1 ounce to one gallon of water.  Cover the stems, leaves and underside of leaves and re-apply every 7 - 14 days (definitely every 7 if you are fighting an existing problem) 

Not all garden centres carry it and it can be diluted and pricey for what you get.  Make sure wherever you buy it that it is pure Neem oil.  It’s usually available on on line sites like Amazon.  

thinking about travelling again:

4E50F735-ECF8-4A44-A61C-D3310B0C40D2.jpeg.1f8d09dd9d00c0b12c77ed866e633a51.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Monday everyone.  Stay safe & don’t forget your 😷 

Today your comics are very spot on. Thanks for the smile. And I will try your oil tip for bugs. Does it work on ants on the peonies?

• Like 13

3 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Today your comics are very spot on. Thanks for the smile. And I will try your oil tip for bugs. Does it work on ants on the peonies?

I haven’t tried it on peonies.  The neem oil only works on insects that chew the plants.  I don’t think ants chew peonies.  I usually find them in the flowers and not sure what the oil would do them in all honesty.

• Like 13

@mamaofamiThank you for letting us know how Sam is doing.  We were all waiting to hear, holding our breath.  Prayers for his continued improvement.

I haven't been to today's port, but was scheduled to be there on two cruises that got cancelled.  Someday.   Actually, I am thinking of more of a road trip.  I'd like to spend some time in the Bay of Fundy area to really experience the tides.  There isn't time on a cruise port stop.  There are several places in New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Labrador and Newfoundland that I would like to visit.   A road trip would give me the ability to do that.   

• Like 23

Good Morning, I've read through about half and will need to get to the rest later, as I only have a little bit of time to write today.  Then it's off to my work facility to pick up some home office supplies, it's about a 45 minute drive by the time all is said and done, then it's back to my home office to prepare for a meeting at 11 which means I can't take the longer scenic route and have to drive the dreaded 405 instead.   

1074675874_A_the405.jpg.d8082ae1b4a028b79124468e5c2eedff.jpg

Somebody's going to have to further explain June bugs, I've lived in many states but don't ever recall anything about them or hearing about them, perhaps I did not have an encounter?  What's remarkable about them that makes them infamous?

@dfish Completely agree that all critters need to stay outside, I get those little Silverfish things in my place, they are harmless and they don't freak me out like other bugs would, but I still prefer that they weren't around. 

Thanks to all the listers.  @kazu Love your meme's, they always make me laugh and today's was no exception.

Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  Sorry I can't do shout outs every day, I do them when I can.

Have a great Monday everybody!

• Like 22

1 hour ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

So glad to hear he is doing better. My prayers are with you. 

• Like 16