If you don't like Personalizer info moving to the App...

Rick&Jeannie

5 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Well, I received a E-mail back saying I should call Princess directly at 800-774-6237 and ask for an Ocean Navigator. I will be doing this later today to see what they have to say. 

Looking forward to seeing the results of that call.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Windows 10. Under the Start Menu is a listing called "Your Phone". You might want to simply give that a try. It's built right into Windows. (No, I haven't tried it but it purports to do what is listed above and isn't limited to a Samsung phone.)

image.png.b7327dcda7d10b233f647ac5d07736d2.png

I had seen this but passed on it as it demands access via a Microsoft account, which I usually avoid using as much as possible. I did give it a go using my Sammy S9+ and it did work like the  Dex app, giving me the same functionality including the ability to use the Medallion Class app. That being said, it involves a lot of extra steps over the Dex app, and the ability to access apps (and not just messages, etc) again seems to be specific to only certain phones, mostly recent Samsung models.

1 hour ago, beg3yrs said:

Got really excited about this but ran into a roadblock. Using an iPhone and it seems this only allows you to see files and webpages. Doesn't seem to let you run other apps. Thanks though.

Poop. Like I said, I haven't tried it. It definitely looked "hopeful" but I guess it's a bust. Sorry about that.

2 hours ago, Thrak said:

Windows 10. Under the Start Menu is a listing called "Your Phone". You might want to simply give that a try. It's built right into Windows. (No, I haven't tried it but it purports to do what is listed above and isn't limited to a Samsung phone.)

image.png.b7327dcda7d10b233f647ac5d07736d2.png

I believe that is only for sending/receiving messages (which I have done with my Samsung cell) and perhaps for making/receiving phone calls (which I have not done). If there is a way to run a phone application I have not seen that feature.

Doug

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 8:11 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

I also would like to inform Princess that I'd prefer making preferences with my PC, not my phone. For me just now, using Firefox with my PC, when I click on "Site Feedback" I get a blank area but cannot write anything.. So tried that using Internet Explorer - could not even get logged on; just ignores my entries.

Something weird at Princess.com today maybe.....I will try later.

Doug

I can confirm the "Site Feedback" is still broken.

Princess needs to have a proper IT department that understands how to test software as part of development and also needs software security people that understand the full gamut of potential problems that can occur.

The Web site is a disaster waiting to happen. It is poorly coded to say the least.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, brisalta said:

I can confirm the "Site Feedback" is still broken.

Princess needs to have a proper IT department that understands how to test software as part of development and also needs software security people that understand the full gamut of potential problems that can occur.

The Web site is a disaster waiting to happen. It is poorly coded to say the least.

Yep, and Princess sadly joins the ranks of those whose performance is similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caribill said:

Looking forward to seeing the results of that call.

I will also email them and call. I don’t like having to scan our passports into the app. It’s a security issue. Much safer to do all of this on a computer at home than have it on a phone that can be lost.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

I sent a E-mail to Princess yesterday complaining about being forced to use the medallion app to check in our information before cruising. I told them in the E-mail I spend a lot of money to cruise and don't have a cell phone and I should have the option to use my personal computer to check in with our passports & credit card, etc. Well, I received a E-mail back saying I should call Princess directly at 800-774-6237 and ask for an Ocean Navigator. I will be doing this later today to see what they have to say. 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

Well I tried contacting Princess by phone today to talk to a Ocean Navigator. I could not get through to anyone. Princess kept cutting me off where my phone went dead on their end or I got a busy signal instead. I tried several times calling. So I decided to E-mail my Princess cruise planner about being forced to use the medallion class app. I told her I would not use it and wanted to know what their backup plan for folks without a cell phone would be. I told her I didn't want to be denied boarding because I wouldn't or couldn't register my information on their app. She ended up calling me back and said Princess will have a line for us folks not having a cell phone or being able to check in before hand at the cruise terminal. We will be able to fill out some form there before boarding. This made me feel much better with her answer. Why can't Princess be more straight forward and let people who won't use the app know this option at the cruise terminal before boarding! 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

Well I tried contacting Princess by phone today to talk to a Ocean Navigator. I could not get through to anyone. Princess kept cutting me off where my phone went dead on their end or I got a busy signal instead. I tried several times calling. So I decided to E-mail my Princess cruise planner about being forced to use the medallion class app. I told her I would not use it and wanted to know what their backup plan for folks without a cell phone would be. I told her I didn't want to be denied boarding because I wouldn't or couldn't register my information on their app. She ended up calling me back and said Princess will have a line for us folks not having a cell phone or being able to check in before hand at the cruise terminal. We will be able to fill out some form there before boarding. This made me feel much better with her answer. Why can't Princess be more straight forward and let people who won't use the app know this option at the cruise terminal before boarding! 

Cheers - Ken & Darlene

glad you got a call back. 
on my booking in Personay there is a link to HELP to Frequently asked questions to Before you leave—- to boarding passes. It says to print luggage tags & boarding passes from Personalizer 75 days prior to cruise. 
or

use MedallionClass app for faster check in. 

• Thanks 1

I posted this yesterday

I just got off the phone with my personal cruise planner and she said..........................There will be a separate line for those who don't have a smart phone and haven't used the app.  She said it might take a little longer to do at the pier. I told her I think it will be the shortest line at the pier!!!!! She said then there will be the old cruise card available.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, dog said:

on my booking in Personay there is a link to HELP to Frequently asked questions to Before you leave—- to boarding passes. It says to print luggage tags & boarding passes from Personalizer 75 days prior to cruise. 
or

12 minutes ago, cruzsnooze said:

I posted this yesterday

I just got off the phone with my personal cruise planner and she said..........................There will be a separate line for those who don't have a smart phone and haven't used the app.  She said it might take a little longer to do at the pier. I told her I think it will be the shortest line at the pier!!!!! She said then there will be the old cruise card available.

thanks for posting this again. 
only thing I haven’t seen on my Personalizer is the Risk form. 
pre app, I had accepted the contract and it was checked off when they started filling in my app. 

1 hour ago, dog said:

or

You have posted this more than once, but I think it is more a case of Princess not updating their website in Help and FAQ areas.  This is not the only case of incorrect or out-dated information.  Clearly folks are unable to print a BP now.  Perhaps they will re-add this feature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

She ended up calling me back and said Princess will have a line for us folks not having a cell phone or being able to check in before hand at the cruise terminal. We will be able to fill out some form there before boarding.

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

So three separate processing lines now - or is it four or more?

One for those not OCEANReady (a new subset of the next group).

One for those OCEANReady but needing a Medallion.

One for those OCEANReady and having the Medallion.

And then there is the priority check-in for Suites, Elites, Platinum.  Will that exist for all versions of the above?  Going to be a maze navigating the stanchions at the terminal.  🙃

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

You have posted this more than once, but I think it is more a case of Princess not updating their website in Help and FAQ areas.  This is not the only case of incorrect or out-dated information.  Clearly folks are unable to print a BP now.  Perhaps they will re-add this feature.

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

So three separate processing lines now - or is it four or more?

One for those not OCEANReady (a new subset of the next group).

One for those OCEANReady but needing a Medallion.

One for those OCEANReady and having the Medallion.

And then there is the priority check-in for Suites, Elites, Platinum.  Will that exist for all versions of the above?  Going to be a maze navigating the stanchions at the terminal.  🙃

Edited by dog

4 minutes ago, dog said:

YES,   time will tell. 

Too early to say any of this is the way it will be in the future, isn’t it?

And it is posted in response to others posting on the topic.
There are several threads.  Please by pass my posts. No need to post speculation, I agree. 

11 hours ago, ringers0815 said:

I will also email them and call. I don’t like having to scan our passports into the app. It’s a security issue. Much safer to do all of this on a computer at home than have it on a phone that can be lost.

I agree!

Let us know what you hear back.

8 hours ago, cruzsnooze said:

I posted this yesterday

Heh heh, yep, you might be right about the shortest line! I had not thought of that; maybe I oughta get in that line also!😉

7 hours ago, dog said:

thanks for posting this again. 
only thing I haven’t seen on my Personalizer is the Risk form. 
pre app, I had accepted the contract and it was checked off when they started filling in my app. 

To all you folks using successfully using the Medallion app to upload info, make preferences, etc: When are your cruises? I have the Medallion app, but our cruise is not until February 2022 so I have not bothered using it yet. I did use the earlier version of the Medallion app (Ocean Ready?) before our last cruise in November 2019 (for pre-boarding documents only), and it worked quite well. I'm hoping the new one works as well. However, I am among the crowd that hopes they will retain our ability to do much of that same with my PC.

Doug

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Thrak said:

Poop. Like I said, I haven't tried it. It definitely looked "hopeful" but I guess it's a bust. Sorry about that.

Hey you've been more than helpful in so many ways, this is no big deal. Thanks for keeping an eye out for solutions!

2 hours ago, PaperSniper4 said:

To all you folks using successfully using the Medallion app to upload info, make preferences, etc: When are your cruises?

Doug

I'm sailing in Sept, just 3 months away. I will report back how it went for me without using an app. I am sailing out of San Pedro which I've done many times without so much as a boarding pass. They have a desk inside the door at the terminal. They looked me up and said YUP you're on the manifest and allow me to go up the escalator to check in. They also had health questionnaires to sign at several desks with lots of pencils and forms on several tables. I suspect they will have the necessary health forms there to sign and give to the person who checks you in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about, the Windows "Your Phone" app you mention does have the same functionality as the Samsung app provided all the requisite phone and PC conditions are met. I've tested both ways quite successfully and either works.  Here's what the MedallionClass app looks like on a Win 10 PC screen, with mouse and keyboard fully functional. Access to the phone's Apps is along the LH side, near Messages, Notifications, Photos and Calls. Although I'm loath to use the Windoze app (being a Linux guy) and not wanting to deal with a Microsoft account, I've played around with it some more and I actually find it a bit better than the Samsung Dex app, as it seems to render the screen a bit better and isn't quite as cluttered. That being said, the Sammy Dex app is supposedly also available for Mac, which we can assume isn't the case for this Microsoft app.

image.thumb.png.7f9c7630586d37533cf23f0e87864940.png

On 6/10/2021 at 7:32 AM, SLC1954 said:

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but remember how we marched forward after the cruise lines moved away from the documents/cruise ticket booklet being mailed to you prior to your cruise to obtaining your documents on line and printing your boarding pass. Not everyone had a computer or printer. To me it is no different to jump forward again to this technology.  
HAL is also migrating their cruise documents to their app for boarding.

I don't remember when the transition from packets mailed to you to print at home was, but according to Pew Research from April of 2021, only 62% of people over 65 have Smartphones. I have to believe that is a lower percent than those who had computers at the last transition.

15 hours ago, Kenosha Cruiser said:

She ended up calling me back and said Princess will have a line for us folks not having a cell phone or being able to check in before hand at the cruise terminal. We will be able to fill out some form there before boarding. This made me feel much better with her answer. Why can't Princess be more straight forward and let people who won't use the app know this option at the cruise terminal before boarding!

My parents always get a suite and so have an "upgraded" check-in line. Will there be a suite passenger, no Smartphone line and a suite passenger, with Smartphone line? I know you don't know, just musing out loud.

And if you have a Medallion already and are checked in already, do you get in any line at all? Surely you should be able to go past a check point, wave your Medallion and move along. No?

1 hour ago, cruzsnooze said:

They also had health questionnaires to sign at several desks with lots of pencils and forms on several tables. I suspect they will have the necessary health forms there to sign and give to the person who checks you in. 

The only time I've ever experienced a health questionnaire at San Pedro was Feb 2020, just as Covid was getting underway.

PS here are some Princess emails.

Collin Steinke, Director, Customer Relations csteinke@princesscruises.com

Lorna Warren, VP Guest Services lwarren@princess.com

Jan Swartz, President jswartz@princesscruises.com

Mario Siebaldi, Senior VP Product Development msiebaldi@princesscruises.com

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

Absolutely nothing to be sorry about, the Windows "Your Phone" app you mention does have the same functionality as the Samsung app provided all the requisite phone and PC conditions are met. I've tested both ways quite successfully and either works.  Here's what the MedallionClass app looks like on a Win 10 PC screen, with mouse and keyboard fully functional. Access to the phone's Apps is along the LH side, near Messages, Notifications, Photos and Calls. Although I'm loath to use the Windoze app (being a Linux guy) and not wanting to deal with a Microsoft account, I've played around with it some more and I actually find it a bit better than the Samsung Dex app, as it seems to render the screen a bit better and isn't quite as cluttered. That being said, the Sammy Dex app is supposedly also available for Mac, which we can assume isn't the case for this Microsoft app.

image.thumb.png.7f9c7630586d37533cf23f0e87864940.png

Interesting. As I mentioned above, I did not have the "Apps" option but did have the other four options. You mention the requisite phone and PC conditions - did I possibly overlook a setting or permission in the Your Phone app to allow it to see my Samsung apps?

ETA: When I look at "Settings", "Features" for my Samsung on the Your Phone app, the only features are Notifications, Messages, Photos and Calls. Perhaps my older model Samsung doesn't support apps on Your Phone?

Edited by joepeka

48 minutes ago, joepeka said:

Interesting. As I mentioned above, I did not have the "Apps" option but did have the other four options. You mention the requisite phone and PC conditions - did I possibly overlook a setting or permission in the Your Phone app to allow it to see my Samsung apps?

ETA: When I look at "Settings", "Features" for my Samsung on the Your Phone app, the only features are Notifications, Messages, Photos and Calls. Perhaps my older model Samsung doesn't support apps on Your Phone?

Here's a link to Microsoft's official setup page

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/your-phone-app-requirements-and-set-up-cd2a1ee7-75a7-66a6-9d4e-bf22e735f9e3

and the complete list of supported devices (pretty much only recent Samsung devices). Note the requirement to use the Apps feature

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/supported-devices-for-your-phone-app-experiences-cb044172-87aa-9e41-d446-c4ac83ce8807

and the full how to page for the Apps feature

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-apps-from-your-android-device-on-your-pc-07d3d029-236e-e71f-3561-d40d7491d435

Hope this helps...

• Thanks 1