The Daily for Saturday Jun 12, 2021

richwmn

Today is National Jerky Day, National Peanut Butter Cookie Day, and Red Rose Day

A word to the wise is infuriating. - Hunter S. Thompson

Meal suggestion for today - Low Country Boil

Drink of the Day - Rusty Nail

Wine of the day - Mount Eden Vineyards 2017 Old Vines Chardonnay (Edna Valley) Central Coast

Destination of the Day - Lahaina Hawaii US

at Sea Gulf of California
Koningsdam Destination San Pedro eta 6/18

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination La Paz MX eta 6/15

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam

La Paz MX
Westerdam Anchorage
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Los Angeles
Nieuw Amsterdam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0612USA.png

0612Europe.png

Edited by richwmn
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 5

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

An interesting collection of days.  I made peanut butter cookies a few days ago, and I think there are still a few around.  Not a fan of jerky.  My red rose is blooming in the garden.🙂

Love Hunter S. Thompson and the quote.

Not sure about the dinner suggestion, I'll wait and see what the recipe looks like.

My husband loves to drink a Rusty Nail.  Hope the wine is good too.

Sending prayers for everyone.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Have a wonderful Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 25

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the peanut butter and the jerky but love red roses.  I also love the quote by Thompson.  I've been to Lahaina 3 times, first on a land trip and then twice on Crystal.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the low country boil.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup, Classic Caesar Salad and Broiled New York Strip Loin as served on MS Prinsendam June 12, 2015.

Care list:

Rest In Peace Lynny Poell, (Vintage Geo’s neighbor) life cut far too short by a hit and run driver

Welfare of furloughed crews

Rest in Peace StLouisCruisers’s DS Nancy

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam recovering from a stroke

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana awaiting lung biopsy Monday

HorizonChaser1957's cousin

Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo

Vict0riann’s persistent bump

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Mamaofami’s Sam cleared for rehab

Jab for Mamaofami

Eagles on the wing

TiogaCruiser on a camping getaway

Second jab for Vict0riann

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily. Both yours and Ron's meal suggestion are great and you have it followed up with my favorite after dinner drink: Rusty Nail"

Been to Lahaina several times. I remember the famous banyan tree in the center of town.

Have a great day.

Jim

• Like 19

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I’ll skip the first 2 and just celebrate Red Rose Day.  Mine aren’t blooming yet but it won’t be long 🙂   I’ll just have to enjoy some of the spring flowers and shrubs blooming 😉 

70B21BBF-B3DB-455B-93F0-05596830477B.thumb.jpeg.312dd79497374e876b2f7b21daf6f889.jpeg

LOL on the Thompson quote.  Love it.

I’ll have to wait for Debbie’s description on the meal suggestion and look forward to hearing about the Chardonnay from cat.

Today we have the fun of unloading the last shed to get the deck all set up now that the staining and planting is finished.  It looks like spring is officially here 😉   I am sure that the dogs will be helping us 😉  And for clarity sake, I do not take a purse when I walk the dogs 😉 

BAA5CA42-E978-4E00-BA29-F4BA55EEDDC0.thumb.jpeg.0176a43cc40712f5aeef349b7ddb41f9.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday, everyone.

86978264-1E7B-47DC-B0A2-42FAF97CA09E.jpeg.4ec9a2aa912281524941badea22af8e4.jpeg

Stay safe and please don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Happy Saturday.  Love all of today's days. 

The Thompson quote is interesting. 

Have not been to today's port, looking forward to the photo's.

Stay safe everyone.

Rusty Nail:

A Rusty Nail is made by mixing Drambuie and Scotch whisky. The drink was included in Difford's Guide's Top 100 Cocktails. A Rusty Nail can be served in an old-fashioned glass on the rocks, neat, or "up" in a stemmed glass. It is most commonly served over ice. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Scotch Whisky, 3/4 oz Drambuie
Preparation: Pour all ingredients directly into old-fashioned glass filled with ice. Stir gently. Garnish with a lemon twist. Serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Lemon twist
Drinkware: Old Fashioned glass

Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 7.12.14 AM.png

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, everyone.  

We are being promised relief from the persistent humidity that has been plaguing us this past week.   We shall see.   

I filled out the form for HAL on our cancelled cruise to Norway in order to move the deposit over to a cruise next year.   According to my PCC, HAL will do that and it might take a month.   We did get Alaska booked and we are all looking forward to that.  

Today's meal is one I have made and we really enjoyed it.   It is pretty simple to make and so enjoyable!  Today's wine should go quite nicely with it.   

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/low-country-boil/

Low-Country-Boil_EXPS_CIMZS20_45042_E12_13_7b.jpg.73255717820d26b1b5d7fef54adc8e2a.jpg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Good early morning!

Thanks for all the lists - prayers for all on the Care List (especially for Lynny's family and friends, such a terrible tragedy), and cheers for all on the Celebration Lists.  Not into Jerky or Peanut Butter Cookies, and roses are beautiful on the bushes.

We've been to Hawaii twice, but only to Lahaina once.  On our first cruise on the Zaandam, we were supposed to tender into port, but the surf was too high so we sat at anchor for a couple of hours watching the shore, then left for Hilo.

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.8ed6626c06aeea541049b634f2302d8b.JPG

Our second trip was on Pride of America, and we took a bus to Lahaina.  We had lunch at Kimo's (including Hula Pie!) and enjoyed some relaxing time sitting under the banyan tree.

092.thumb.JPG.69c98de648e8bda06f918c8ca743b50e.JPG096.thumb.JPG.0ccc7a14efdee9bda7f989487a7c5ce0.JPG097.thumb.JPG.13f92cb14e0ba299f8c58fd73d0aa989.JPG

Hope everyone has a wonderful day, staying cool and comfortable.

Laura

• Like 34
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and Happy Saturday!  🌺  🌻  🌸

I woke up really early because we had a power outage in the middle of the night.  So weird how too much quiet can wake you up.  And also how much light all of our home conveniences give off, even when turned off.  So quiet and so dark!  But all is restored now.

We used to make homemade teriyaki beef jerky; love peanut butter cookies and red roses. The meal of the day looks absolutely delicious!  😋

Thank you all for being here as we all watch and wait for our beloved cruises to resume.  We move two steps forward and one step back, right?  But forward mostly!

Prayers and best wishes to all.  

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone from a cool rainy Boston.  Thanks for the daily report Rich. Don’t really eat jerky but I do love a good peanut butter cookie.  Red roses are in full bloom here. Funny quote today and so true at times.  The recipe sounds very tasty and served with the wine, dinner’s made.  I haven’t been to today’s port but eagerly awaiting the photos.  A prayer for everyone on our list today and cheers to all celebrating an event. 

• Like 25

Good  morning  to  all. It  is  cloudy  and  cool  today,most  enjoyable  for  a  long   dog  walk.

I  love  red  roses  but  will  skip  the  peanut  butter  and  jerky. My  relatives  in Massachusetts make  a  similar recipe  but  use  quohogs  and  clams  along  with  the  other  seafood. They  use  a  sausage  from  Fall  River  that  is  particularly  good  and  similar  to  the  chorizo. Oh  my. My  mouth  is  watering  just  thinking  about  it!

We  went  to  Lahaina  with  DD  and  DSIL on  the  Veendam  and  always  call  that  the  "best  cruise  ever". The  banyan tree  and  the shops  in  the  town  were  fun  to  wander around  in. It  was  just  a  beautiful  day  and  so  nice  to  remember. We  would  do  it  again  in  a  heartbeat.

IMG_1075.JPG

• Like 32

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! Love a good peanut butter cookie - especially from the Lido’s dessert bar. Never cared for jerky. And unless a rose is unscented, I have to enjoy my red roses on an outside bush. They are gorgeous flowers. Just ask my deer, who seem to think they taste good, too.

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy! I would add @mamaofami Carol’s Doctor declaring her cured to the celebration list! Though we did celebrate her news yesterday, too! Morning Dailyite family! Another beautiful morning here. Need to get out in the garden early and do some dead-heading before the heat hits. Pass on the meal & drink.

@grapau27, I visited Lahaina the month before you & Pauline did in 2019! It was an abbreviated trip, since the harbormaster held the Oosterdam’s tenders at bay, because he said he did not have enough people to open the dock.  But our fearless Captain tendered over and helped the harbor master change his mind. My friend and I literally raced from the dock to the taxi line, so we could make our Ziplining reservation time. It was an amazing view, and experience. But I was too fascinated to even snap a picture. Then we changed and raced back for our luau. I know I have tons of pics from that event. I will have to hunt for them, since they are not on my iPad. I would love to go back and have a more leisurely visit and really get to explore.

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Mount Eden Vineyards 2017 Old Vines Chardonnay (Edna Valley) Central Coast

This California Chardonnay has excellent ratings and a very reasonable price. Several online distributors with prices starting at $19.99. You might find it for less locally.

Winemaker Notes

The Edna Valley Appellation is one of the last major Chardonnay harvests in California and eflects the cool maritime climate which is its influence. his wine is always one of the best values in California Chardonnay.
RP93 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: This comes mostly from the Wolf vineyard with some fruit from the Middle Ranch vineyard. The 2017 Edna Valley Chardonnay opens with wonderful aromas of honeycomb, orange blossoms, saline, crushed shell and loads of baked apple and quince with an earthy undercurrent. The palate is medium-bodied, satiny and intense, with seamless freshness on the finish, which lingers with honeyed notions.
Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone.  It's a cloudy morning so who knows what's in store for us today weather wise. We have some interesting days today to celebrate.  I'm not a fan of either jerky or peanut butter cookies so you can have my share.  But I do love red roses.  In fact I have a vase of mixed flowers that my neighbor brought over to me a few days ago and it has red roses in it.  I hope they last a while!

Thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor your Daily contributions.  Prayers for our care list and cheers to those celebrating good news.  The low country boil sounds good.  Our neighbors usually hold a low country boil event on our street each October, but it may have been cancelled in 2020.  No doubt they'll be back at it this October!

I'm happy to say we have been to Lahaina while on two Hawaii cruises, and also on two South Pacific cruises.  In 2007 on Diamond Princess we decided to take a whale watching cruise while in Lahaina.  Here's a pic of one of our whale visitors that day.enhance

Afterwards we stepped into a restaurant (Front Street Grill) for a cool drink.  Behind us in this photo is the square with the famous banyan tree.  Shadiest spot in town!enhance

In 2009 while visiting Lahaina on the Golden Princess, we hadn't even tendered to shore yet when what did we see?  A group of whales right off the ship's starboard side.  These photos are from the promenade deck of the Golden.enhance

enhance

That day we went shopping with friends who were on the cruise with us, then stopped for ice cream at Front Street Grill.  But of course before we left town for our ride back to the ship we stopped to pay homage to the banyan tree.enhance

In 2014 we returned to Lahaina on our cruise in the South Pacific.  This time we walked as far as we could and tried not to stop in as many shops.  We saw the Old Lahaina Courthouse which was being used as a museum, art gallery and visitor center.enhance

Here are ruins of the Old Fort, made of coral blocks and sand.enhance

We even saw the King Kamehameha III school.enhance

enhance

Our old haunt, Front Street Grill was now called Captain Jack's Island Grill.enhance

Island architecture.enhance

enhance

Shopping, shopping, shopping...enhance

And finally, a church!enhance

And some nice carvings someone was selling.enhance

photos taken from the ship later in the day, taking in the scenic island.enhance

enhance

In 2017 we visited there on the Maasdam.  Heading to shore on our tender we saw two youngsters surfing nearby.enhance

What a life!enhance

Typical view along the "main drag".enhance

If you stand at the railing and look down at the rocks you see things like this.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

There's something in Lahaina for everyone!

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  We used to love taking beef jerkey along on canoe trips - sitting around the campfire at night chewing on jerky, talking about the day's events - great memories.  I like peanut butter, but don't care for it in cookies.  I like the scent of real roses even though they aren't my favourite flower - I prefer white daisies.

Well the storms have rolled on and we woke this morning to beautiful sunshine and clear blue skies.  Our capital city (2.5 hrs from here) had more rain than they expected; some areas recorded 5.5 inches in 24 hours.  Most of their underpasses were flooded and there was an extensive list of streets to avoid, lest you end up stranded in pools of water.  For us, it means we won't have to water our outdoor plants for a couple of days, and the farmers are extremely grateful for the much needed moisture to help get their crops growing.

I've never had the pleasure of having a low country boil; I'm pretty sure it's something I'd like, especially for the variety of things it contains.  Oh my, the last Rusty Nail I had was on a BHB while we were sitting on chaises on the lido deck aft, enjoying a warm evening.  I can't wait to recreate that experience!

Now that it's bright and sunny, it's time to get the barbecue going again, so DH will be cooking up some coffee-apricot glazed pork chops for our dinner tonight.  Accompanied by dilled potatoes and an herbed tomato/cucumber salad, that's what will be on our plates this evening.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together to toast all on the celebration list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks and get your jabs!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Edited by ger_77
  • Like 28
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning everyone.  It's a cloudy morning so who knows what's in store for us today weather wise. We have some interesting days today to celebrate.  I'm not a fan of either jerky or peanut butter cookies so you can have my share.  But I do love red roses.  In fact I have a vase of mixed flowers that my neighbor brought over to me a few days ago and it has red roses in it.  I hope they last a while!

Thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor your Daily contributions.  Prayers for our care list and cheers to those celebrating good news.  The low country boil sounds good.  Our neighbors usually hold a low country boil event on our street each October, but it may have been cancelled in 2020.  No doubt they'll be back at it this October!

I'm happy to say we have been to Lahaina while on two Hawaii cruises, and also on two South Pacific cruises.  In 2007 on Diamond Princess we decided to take a whale watching cruise while in Lahaina.  Here's a pic of one of our whale visitors that day.enhance

Afterwards we stepped into a restaurant (Front Street Grill) for a cool drink.  Behind us in this photo is the square with the famous banyan tree.  Shadiest spot in town!enhance

In 2009 while visiting Lahaina on the Golden Princess, we hadn't even tendered to shore yet when what did we see?  A group of whales right off the ship's starboard side.  These photos are from the promenade deck of the Golden.enhance

enhance

That day we went shopping with friends who were on the cruise with us, then stopped for ice cream at Front Street Grill.  But of course before we left town for our ride back to the ship we stopped to pay homage to the banyan tree.enhance

In 2014 we returned to Lahaina on our cruise in the South Pacific.  This time we walked as far as we could and tried not to stop in as many shops.  We saw the Old Lahaina Courthouse which was being used as a museum, art gallery and visitor center.enhance

Here are ruins of the Old Fort, made of coral blocks and sand.enhance

We even saw the King Kamehameha III school.enhance

enhance

Our old haunt, Front Street Grill was now called Captain Jack's Island Grill.enhance

Island architecture.enhance

enhance

Shopping, shopping, shopping...enhance

And finally, a church!enhance

And some nice carvings someone was selling.enhance

photos taken from the ship later in the day, taking in the scenic island.enhance

enhance

In 2017 we visited there on the Maasdam.  Heading to shore on our tender we saw two youngsters surfing nearby.enhance

What a life!enhance

Typical view along the "main drag".enhance

If you stand at the railing and look down at the rocks you see things like this.enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

There's something in Lahaina for everyone!

Fantastic selection of photos.

Graham.

• Like 7

Good morning everyone and thanks again for the daily!

I love peanut butter cookies and especially peanut butter!

We ( 4 couples) visited Hawaii and Lahaina on a land tour  in 2003. We had a blast but unfortunately my pictures are all slides (remember those?) Really need to get them converted to digital but there are so many (DH loved to take pictures!)

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 17