The Daily for Saturday Jun 12, 2021

richwmn

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days, although I only like homemade jerky. I have red roses in the yard. Not eating cookies right now. I'll take Roy's meal.

Good quote.

I've never had a low country boil, since I'm not a seafood person. I like the drink and wine.

I've been to Hawaii twice, not sure if I was in Lahaina. I'll have to check my pictures. 

It's a bit cooler today, so I want to get the lawn mowed and some trimming done.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone!

• Like 17

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  I'll pass on the peanut butter and the jerky but love red roses.  I also love the quote by Thompson.  I've been to Lahaina 3 times, first on a land trip and then twice on Crystal.  Since I don't eat seafood I'll pass on the low country boil.  My alternative is Chilled Pineapple Pina Colada Soup, Classic Caesar Salad and Broiled New York Strip Loin as served on MS Prinsendam June 12, 2015.

Care list:

Rest In Peace Lynny Poell, (Vintage Geo’s neighbor) life cut far too short by a hit and run driver

Welfare of furloughed crews

Rest in Peace StLouisCruisers’s DS Nancy

StLouisSal’s weakness and fall injuries

bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery

mamaofami DH Sam recovering from a stroke

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Tana awaiting lung biopsy Monday

HorizonChaser1957's cousin

Wandb’s sister undergoing agressive chemo

Vict0riann’s persistent bump

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

Mamaofami’s Sam cleared for rehab

Jab for Mamaofami

Eagles on the wing

TiogaCruiser on a camping getaway

Second jab for Vict0riann

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy Thank you for the Care and Shout Out lists.  I like your alternative meal.  I really like it.  

• Like 6

Good Saturday morning!  Would love to have some peanut butter cookies right now, preferably from a ship's galley!  The low country boil sounds great.  Thanks to all who contribute to this thread.  Cheers to those on the celebratory list and healing thoughts to those on the care list.

Will only post one photo today as all the rest would only be more of what has already been posted.

I have been to Lahaina at least 4 times.  The first two were “in another life” and not by cruise ship.  However, one of those times was by a personal speedboat from the island of Lanai where my friends were living at the time.  That was quite an experience being in a small boat with the whales all around! (Wish I had pics of that trip 😱)

Our first cruise visit to Lahaina was March 7, 2009, which was also our 9th wedding anniversary.  We were on a 14 day Hawaii round trip San Diego cruise on Celebrity Mercury.  We rented a car and drove up to Haleakalā, to Kapalua (to check out the 🏌️‍♀️course), and ended our stay with a whale watching catamaran sail.

Our "official" 9th anniversary portrait

077.thumb.jpg.3a1b266ec317cb60e7a7349e03980418.jpg

The second and last time we sailed to Lahaina was on Star Princess on April 3, 2013 – 28 day Hawaii and South Pacific round trip Los Angeles/San Pedro.  This time we just walked around town.  We did see lots of whale activity both from the ship and the tender on this trip.

Kay

• Like 24

Good morning.  We're starting out with clouds, but the sun is supposed to make and appearance by mid-day with a predicted high of 95F.  Summer is here, but I think we mainly missed spring, as we went from the 60s and low 70sF to the 90s.

While not a fan of jerky, the Tillamook pepperoni jerky was good in small doses.  I do not like peanut butter in any form, so some one can have my cookies.  I do like peanuts, and bought some peanut M&Ms the other day, since they cover two food groups -- nuts and chocolate.  🤣  I'll take the red roses, but haven't had a rose bush since we moved here.

Hunter S. Thompson's quote is good, as are low country boils.  Since older DD's band director was from Lake Charles, LA, he would fix a Cajun version of the low country boil with crawfish for the band booster club officers.  It was really good if a little messy.  Our dinner "plates" were the cardboard cartons canned soft drinks were shipped in that were lined with paper towels.

We have been to Lahaina many times beginning in 1997, and I'll have to go through my pictures to find some different ones.  Hawaii is an easy winter cruise from Quartzsite.

Lenda

• Like 19

Good morning everyone. There’s been a slight delay in Sam’s release. A small complication,  just a headache, but they wanted to monitor him. Hoping for discharge today.

The good news is I got the vaccine this morning.

Sorry I can’t read everything. Later.

Carol

• Like 27
  • Thanks 4

Aloha Dailyites. Rich a fine Daily and Fleet Report today. 

A beautiful morning here. Love to my sisters. Prayers to our Roy and all on his prayer list. Would love to see a LONG celebration list. 

We are not jerky likers. Have tried beef, salmon, turkey, buffalo.. they all taste like salt sticks to me.

I have beautiful red rose's blooming outside our bedroom window. No on PB cookies..

Lahaina.. we have made Maui our home vacation island since the 80's. A few times to Kauai and O'ahu. Used to stay at the Kaanapali Alii til the Westin Ocean Villas hung their shingle.

Here is ziplining in Kapalua,  brunch with my sis, Old Lahaina Luau, nightly conch blower (Pu) 

One of my sisters @DeeniEncinitas can really give us some awesome photos as she and family own a home there.

Prayers, blessings and Cheers. Call a loved one today.

DSCF6735.JPG

0130191540.jpg

0117201259a_HDR.jpg

0201191728.jpg

Resized_20200123_150500_932.jpg

0205201803b_HDR~2.jpg

0108191752_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

• Like 30
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Aloha Dailyites. Rich a fine Daily and Fleet Report today. 

A beautiful morning here. Love to my sisters. Prayers to our Roy and all on his prayer list. Would love to see a LONG celebration list. 

We are not jerky likers. Have tried beef, salmon, turkey, buffalo.. they all taste like salt sticks to me.

I have beautiful red rose's blooming outside our bedroom window. No on PB cookies..

Lahaina.. we have made Maui our home vacation island since the 80's. A few times to Kauai and O'ahu. Used to stay at the Kaanapali Alii til the Westin Ocean Villas hung their shingle.

Here is ziplining in Kapalua,  brunch with my sis, Old Lahaina Luau, nightly conch blower (Pu) 

One of my sisters @DeeniEncinitas can really give us some awesome photos as she and family own a home there.

Prayers, blessings and Cheers. Call a loved one today.

DSCF6735.JPG

0130191540.jpg

0117201259a_HDR.jpg

0201191728.jpg

Resized_20200123_150500_932.jpg

0205201803b_HDR~2.jpg

0108191752_HDR-EFFECTS.jpg

Those are some really nice photos, Joy!  Thank you so much for sharing.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. There’s been a slight delay in Sam’s release. A small complication,  just a headache, but they wanted to monitor him. Hoping for discharge today.

The good news is I got the vaccine this morning.

Sorry I can’t read everything. Later.

Carol

When Sam is released from the hospital will he go to a rehab center or do rehab while living at home?

Roy

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

For those in our Daily family who suffered thru my complaining... Our patio is finally finished! And a photo of our rose bush outside our bedroom.

0612210929_HDR.jpg

0612210933_HDR.jpg

0612210935.jpg

0612210935a.jpg

0612210936.jpg

0612210936a.jpg

0612210936b.jpg

It looks great. Congratulations. Enjoy!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, and thanks for the Daily!

Thank you, Roy.

Today's port will (hopefully) be a stop on what we hope will be the next cruise off of our bucket list. Thanks for all of the pictures, never get enough.

@Seasick Sailor, looks like it was worth waiting for. Very nice.

Cheers to @mamaofami for the jab and getting Sam home!

Please stay safe and healthy and have a wonderful weekend!

Lori & George

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Looks like it will be a beautiful day here. I've never cared for jerky or peanut butter cookies (do like peanut butter though) but love red roses.  I have one Abraham Lincoln red rose bush but it isn't blooming yet.  I've had Low Country Boil once, when visiting in-laws in Savannah.  I can't say it was a hit with me, not sure why, because I do like everything in it --- maybe just not all together.  Also it's too high carb for me with the potatoes and corn -- so if I left the potatoes out I'd probably like it more (love corn!!) I should try it again, maybe my tastes have changed. 😉  

The wine sounds great.  On our 2010 Hawaii cruise we missed Lahaina because of weather but I hope to see it on our South Pacific cruise next year.  Thank you to all who have posted photos!

@kazuI loved the cats and can opener cartoon.  For years after one of our cats passed away I couldn't use the can opener without thinking of him.  Eerily he could tell if I was opening a can of tuna or something else -- maybe his sense of smell was that good?  But he would come running from wherever he was in the house if it was tuna. I always let him drink the "tuna water" after draining the can.

• Like 17

👍Thank You for The Daily, Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists!😊

I remember a fish boil ( not low country) in Wisconsin at the Old Post Office restaurant that was entertaining.

🌺 We were just in Maui in March after we'd been fully 💉vaccinated and needed a get away. ✈A return trip is planned for end of July. 😉

It's hard for me to stop at just one peanut butter cookie, lol. 🙃

🙏 Prayers for all in need. 🙏

Katie

1623508983943_image.jpeg.8467fd95c4ec74356fe7033ba73fab2a.jpeg

• Like 22

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Dont care for jerky or peanut butter cookies. Since today is Saturday. it is pizza for dinner.

I have been to Lahaina  3 times. Tendering was a real issue one time and it took several hours before we were off. The harbormaster was limiting access. I had just about given up when we were finally able to go. Luckily, we had already been there before and did not have anything scheduled. Turned out to be a really nice day.

Played a very quick 9 holes early this AM with DS.  We were first off at 6:35.  It was great.

Talking to this gentleman in the clubhouse and he was complaining of the heat. I told him this is summer and its Florida, just wait until August. He said no one told him it would be this hot. Poor guy. bet he moves back north.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

For those in our Daily family who suffered thru my complaining... Our patio is finally finished! And a photo of our rose bush outside our bedroom.

0612210929_HDR.jpg

0612210933_HDR.jpg

0612210935.jpg

0612210935a.jpg

0612210936.jpg

0612210936a.jpg

0612210936b.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

@mamaofami Carol, Woo Hoo on the shot.  I know you've waited a long time for it.  Sorry that Sam couldn't be released as planned, but it is wise they erred on the side of caution with a headache.  Hope all is good, and he is released today.

@Seasick Sailor Joy, the pictures are lovely.  It looks like it was worth the wait.

With the exception of one cruise, we have rented cars and toured the island, even going around the northern tip a couple of times and once to Hana.  Of course, we also visited Iao Valley twice and Haleakala and the observatory.  The cruise when we did not rent a car in 2007 was roundtrip to Tahiti from LA, so we called at Lahaina twice.  The first time we did the Atlantis submarine, which was okay, but not like in the Caribbean.  On the return visit, we took the Sugar Cane Train, which is no longer running.  

We've been to Hawaii on several BHBs and on a couple of Princess ships.  Only once, in 2014, on Veendam was it too rough to tender into Lahaina.  We sate in the Crow's Nest and watched the waves and the one tender that went into port because a passenger had to be medically evacuated.  That was the cruise that we had to head back to San Diego the first sea day to get into range for the Coast Guard helicopter for a medical evacuation, and we were met in every port by an ambulance.  When it was obvious that the seas would not calm down, Captain Peter Bos (one of our favorites) opted to leave early and give us extra time in Ensenada.

All these pictures are from our various calls into Lahaina.

The charter/tour boat harbor

IMG_1211.thumb.JPG.89410728444c9238673d13f0b6fdb31f.JPG

P1040036.thumb.JPG.582af0c6133e144af0513a568e4011ca.JPG

And a view of the harbor from the second story of the Old Courthouse.  This was from Ruby Princess in 2016, and the line for the tender.  That is what you get when on a 3600 passenger ship.  We headed to the Pioneer Hotel outside cafe for a coke and fries until the line shortened.  And it got longer before it got shorter. 

DSC04532.thumb.JPG.110e8bddaba756dfda4850a32493beac.JPG

The old courtroom with it's displays in the Old Courthouse

DSC04530.thumb.JPG.1f54ed4cce89fc85059308b8899a6331.JPG

And I couldn't resist a picture of the banyan tree.  It made a nice shady place for the craft market.

IMG_1233.thumb.JPG.7165831a10356d0374d9f4bde74d9853.JPG

The Sugar Cane Train that took us up the coast.

IMG_1756.thumb.JPG.a77f863491e14e0fa061e776a8da0e05.JPG

IMG_1754.thumb.JPG.8ba8f2e5f6e369feef380c3605ccdb2f.JPG

IMG_1768.thumb.JPG.d787952058bfdc484289adcceef406e8.JPG

Scenes from our visits to Haleakala.  The state bird the nene.

DSC03083.thumb.JPG.edfbce7626761bf1d2cfc993e6e3128d.JPG

Haleakala Observatory.  The second picture is a new telescope under construction, and I think it is the solar telescope.

DSC04513.thumb.JPG.071bd997f69acc93a3371d4f651cee39.JPG

DSC04514.thumb.JPG.6ecaa1b078971b02e8b436a8649f1dd7.JPG

In the distance you can see Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa above the clouds on the Big Island.

DSC04515.thumb.JPG.db0d0fd189414eab22bccfad78c90512.JPG

A view of the crater

DSC04526.thumb.JPG.675f059143429290ee7d13038f5895dc.JPG

Looking up the coast from the tender dock..

DSC08572.thumb.JPG.36364452db61ed67674d0b2f2f421dcb.JPG

Maui as we sailed for the next port.

IMG_1771.thumb.JPG.aed3993cb74f428f5f037a567d5dfcbe.JPG

Lenda

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Saturday morning!

I love peanut butter cookies and the low country boil certainly looks good!  It merited a print out.  @dfish, thank you for finding and posting the recipe link, I’m putting together a recipe book for my “afterlife” aka retirement, and you are one of my primary resources.

When my beloved Tortola Rose crossed the rainbow bridge, DH planted a rose bush on her grave.  It produces beautiful long-stemmed red roses.  She has out-done herself this mild and wet spring.

Best to all!

• Like 14

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich. Good collection of days. I like peanut butter cookies but love oatmeal peanut butter chocolate chip more. 🍪  DH is the jerky lover in the family. His father would send him local jerky each Christmas (Central California).  He hasn’t eaten much since his father passed. I love roses, red is a favorite. 🌹

I make a similar recipe for Low Country Boil but in foil packets. I’ve made it twice in the past few weeks and Craig always wants it at the cabin. Here’s the recipe I use:  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/low-country-boil-packets-2482370

I have been to Hawaii twice but never to Maui. It’s definitely a cruise I want to take. I’m loving all the pictures. @Seasick Sailor Your pictures look like they could be postcards!  Absolutely beautiful. And I love your new patio too. 

@VintageGeo I am so sorry about Lynny, so sad. Please give condolences to her family and friends and boyfriend. How devastated they must be ♥️

Have a great day everyone!

431A02C1-D35D-4E4B-A571-1836AE289AAB.thumb.jpeg.29af85b219a6f22f06db2fcd279b4d1c.jpeg

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1