Millennium itinerary changed AGAIN

sofietucker

10 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Yep. Now to convince the Snorkel King, lol... Each change scoots that idea a bit closer, lol.

Just an FYI.  If you end up in Curacao, Cas Abao Beach has fantastic snorkeling, right from shore.  About a 40 minute cab from port.  You can tell your driver at what time you'd like to return.  Enjoy your cruise either way.  The Caves in Tortola are also super cool if you get to go, but we found the Baths to be disappointing. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, bup1224 said:

Sofia that is incorrect about Aruba. They were not under a lockdown. 

Perhaps you meant Curaçao?

Here ya go: they had curfews, a beach ban, gathering ban, bars and restaurants closed, boating restrictions (not to mention masking and distancing). Seems pretty "locked down" to me. https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-to-aruba/entry-requirements-and-visas/aruba-travel-restrictions-covid-19/

3 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Here ya go: they had curfews, a beach ban, gathering ban, bars and restaurants closed, boating restrictions (not to mention masking and distancing). Seems pretty "locked down" to me. https://www.visitaruba.com/traveling-to-aruba/entry-requirements-and-visas/aruba-travel-restrictions-covid-19/

I live in Curaçao and can assure you that Curaçao had the more severe restrictions than our sister island of Aruba.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I like this itinerary better than the previous one.  Chance Barbados to Bonaire and it is snorkel time.  Of course I understand if you are going to places that you have not been.

Yes--Bonaire is (almost) the best snorkeling in the Caribbean!  Klein Bonaire as well--you'll never run out of great reefs.  It would be great if they would change from Barbados.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bup1224 said:

I live in Curaçao and can assure you that Curaçao had the more severe restrictions than our sister island of Aruba.

Ah. So I see that unfortunately Curacao too has recently experienced a spike https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/curacao/  But apparently, it's much better now! Currently the CDC travel notice for Curacao is "Moderate" while Aruba is rated "Do Not Travel."

17 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Yes--Bonaire is (almost) the best snorkeling in the Caribbean!  Klein Bonaire as well--you'll never run out of great reefs.  It would be great if they would change from Barbados.

Both for snorkeling and diving, it's hard to beat as a cruise port of call, or a place to spend a week or two. BTW, I love your nudibranch. 😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Ah. So I see that unfortunately Curacao too has recently experienced a spike https://graphics.reuters.com/world-coronavirus-tracker-and-maps/countries-and-territories/curacao/  But apparently, it's much better now! Currently the CDC travel notice for Curacao is "Moderate" while Aruba is rated "Do Not Travel."

Thankfully both islands are doing much better now.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Both for snorkeling and diving, it's hard to beat as a cruise port of call, or a place to spend a week or two. BTW, I love your nudibranch. 😊

They're wonderful, aren't they?  I post them monthly as my FB "profile" photo and will likely never run out of gorgeous types to share. Found a herd on branch coral in shallow water on Martinique a couple of years ago; have chased them down along the Turkish coast... A new mission: nudibranch hunting!

• Like 1

When you book a cruise, the cruise is the destination. Ports may be important when choosing an itinerary. However, even before pandemic, ports can change.  It has happened to me several times often no advance warning.  Be adaptable and accept it….or don’t choose to cruise.  Any port is better than my cruise in March 2020 when we were stuck at sea.  Ship stopped briefly in 2 ports and was then denied entry into ports. We sailed in circles until we were allowed to dock in Miami.  Several sea days with most venues closed was not good.  No pool, no spa, no library,etc.  being able to dock anywhere would’ve been preferred.  We did eat well even with shortages.  Accept that things may happen and move on.  Relax and just go along.  Don’t waste time complaining about a change of ports.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2021 at 5:53 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

I wonder if one (or both) of those islands told Celebrity not to come – in (over-)reaction to this week's cruise.

We seriously doubt it -- and will explain why.

We choose to believe that Captain Theodoros Zakkas was not lying when he wrote these words:
"Out of an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to alter this week's itinerary.  We monitor daily the environments of each of the destinations we are calling on to ensure your health and safety.  Based on the current situation, we will be [changing the itinerary]" ...   We hope you appreciate that this change reflects how seriously we take the health and safety of you and our crew."

Based on these words, we had to suspect that something must be awry on Tortola or St. Kitts (or both).  Therefore, we (just now) checked on the status of those two destinations at the CDC's site.  Here is what we found (and we are quoting):

"[CoViD-19] Level unknown: Unknown Level of COVID-19 in the British Virgin Islands.  Key Information for Travelers to the British Virgin Islands:   Avoid travel to the British Virgin Islands" (which includes Tortola).

[The above is from https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-unknown/coronavirus-british-virgin-islands ]

"[CoViD-19] Level 1: Low Level of COVID-19 in Saint Kitts and Nevis"

[The above is from https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-1/coronavirus-st-kitts-and-nevis ]

Although things look good at St. Kitts, we suspect that the cruise line, after deciding to avoid Tortola/BVI, decided that the only two (close-to-each-other) ports that it could quickly arrange to visit, as replacements, were Curacao and Aruba.

PS:  The CDC's levels for Curacao and Aruba are "2" and "1" respectively.  [The highest (worst) level is "4."]

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jg51 said:

We seriously doubt it -- and will explain why.

We choose to believe that Captain Theodoros Zakkas was not lying when he wrote these words:
"Out of an abundance of caution, we have made the decision to alter this week's itinerary.  We monitor daily the environments of each of the destinations we are calling on to ensure your health and safety.  Based on the current situation, we will be [changing the itinerary]" ...   We hope you appreciate that this change reflects how seriously we take the health and safety of you and our crew."

Based on these words, we had to suspect that something must be awry on Tortola or St. Kitts (or both).  Therefore, we (just now) checked on the status of those two destinations at the CDC's site.  Here is what we found (and we are quoting):

"[CoViD-19] Level unknown: Unknown Level of COVID-19 in the British Virgin Islands.  Key Information for Travelers to the British Virgin Islands:   Avoid travel to the British Virgin Islands" (which includes Tortola).

[The above is from https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-unknown/coronavirus-british-virgin-islands ]

"[CoViD-19] Level 1: Low Level of COVID-19 in Saint Kitts and Nevis"

[The above is from https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/covid-1/coronavirus-st-kitts-and-nevis ]

Although things look good at St. Kitts, we suspect that the cruise line, after deciding to avoid Tortola/BVI, decided that the only two (close-to-each-other) ports that it could quickly arrange to visit, as replacements, were Curacao and Aruba.

PS:  The CDC's levels for Curacao and Aruba are "2" and "1" respectively.  [The highest (worst) level is "4."]

That makes sense – IF the CDC warning for the BVI is new.

I would view the changed ports as an upgrade.  For those on the ship, hope you have a great time. Here are some suggestions.

In Aruba, ride the pasofinos if you love horses.  Other than a Tennessee Walker, these horses have the smoothest gait I have ever experienced. Or take a tour to see the sights or enjoy one of their beautiful beaches.

In Curaçao, our favorite thing is to walk over to the floating bridge and enjoy some time in a Euro-like country.

Whatever you decide, hope you have a great cruise. 

3 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I would view the changed ports as an upgrade.  For those on the ship, hope you have a great time. Here are some suggestions.

In Aruba, ride the pasofinos if you love horses.  Other than a Tennessee Walker, these horses have the smoothest gait I have ever experienced. Or take a tour to see the sights or enjoy one of their beautiful beaches.

In Curaçao, our favorite thing is to walk over to the floating bridge and enjoy some time in a Euro-like country.

Thank you. 
I am one of the small percentage (in my estimation) of posters here who has not cruised the Caribbean. Canceled, yes. Cruised, no. 
I appreciate the information. 

• Like 1

Welp, with this morning's latest update on the EHAS requirements (rt-PCR must be within 48 hours--altho not for US per se), we've decided to simplify several factors. With X's "cancel up to 48-hours before-cruise," hotel's "cancel up to 3 days before," and American's "no change fees": we've jumped over to the Edge, also leaving on the 26th, out of Ft Lauderdale.

Plenty of staterooms available! So there's a vacant sky suite on the Millie, lol. Mexico is low-risk accoridng to both the CDC and the state dept., so less likely to have an itinerary change--plus the fab Maya Riviera reef!

And since we've vaccinated and Mexico does not require them: NO TESTS at all!

Happy trails, y'all. (I mean, happy sails, lol)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sofietucker said:

Welp, with this morning's latest update on the EHAS requirements (rt-PCR must be within 48 hours--altho not for US per se), we've decided to simplify several factors. With X's "cancel up to 48-hours before-cruise," hotel's "cancel up to 3 days before," and American's "no change fees": we've jumped over to the Edge, also leaving on the 26th, out of Ft Lauderdale.

Plenty of staterooms available! So there's a vacant sky suite on the Millie, lol. Mexico is low-risk accoridng to both the CDC and the state dept., so less likely to have an itinerary change--plus the fab Maya Riviera reef!

We are likely to cancel our July sailing on the Summit for like reasons. If our Carnival Horizon sailing occurs on July 10, we will do that and cancel the Summit.  Much easier to just drive to Miami and skip all the tests, flights and administrative hoops.  We will have a big Jet Blue credit we will use to fly to the Caribbean next spring.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MamaFej said:

Thank you. 
I am one of the small percentage (in my estimation) of posters here who has not cruised the Caribbean. Canceled, yes. Cruised, no. 
I appreciate the information. 

Wow! I hope the Caribbean is on your future. I’m kind of over it now, been often enough to the cruise port islands, but each one is a little different - some poorer, some wealthier, some agricultural, others almost industrial. Some are in the hurricane belt, some are volcanic, some very dry with desert like climate. Our beaches ate generally equal or better than the Caribbean ones, so we enjoy catamaran rides and touring, etc

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Wow! I hope the Caribbean is on your future. I’m kind of over it now, been often enough to the cruise port islands, but each one is a little different - some poorer, some wealthier, some agricultural, others almost industrial. Some are in the hurricane belt, some are volcanic, some very dry with desert like climate. Our beaches ate generally equal or better than the Caribbean ones, so we enjoy catamaran rides and touring, etc

Thanks.

I imagine we will get there eventually. I've been as close as Key West. I'm grateful that we had the chance to travel to 25 countries on 3 continents in 2016-2019 before having all our international travel for 2020-2021 canceled. I've been to every US state at least twice, most several to many more times. We left your state, after 33 days there on Friday, and just got back into CA. It is considerably dryer here! I sure would love to have brought back some of the rain! The Alabamians we spent time with would have loved to send it west, as well!

17 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I am a horse rider so thank you for that, I will certainly look to book that on our next visit. I love the ABC islands and we have earmarked Aruba as a land based trip sometime in the near future 👍🐴

Observation only.

I see Celebrity Millennium back in Bridgetown, Barbados Port

today Monday. Like last week...ex Sint Maarten?

I'm assuming this is now a regular weekly call?
I haven't a clue, sorry.

4 hours ago, sofietucker said:

We also decided to simplify things and switched. Going on the sailing before you.

• Like 1

There is no question that itineraries will be changing continually as cruising re-emerges.  Anyone who is taking a cruise anytime soon has to be aware of this and go with the flow as it were.  In normal times changes happen to port calls - and these are far, far from normal times.

Personally, I much prefer the revised itinerary.  I only wish I was dealing with these problems right now!

I booked this cruise because I really wanted to support Celebrity and it's crew.  I know that anything and everything could change.  We are going solely to support the industry so we decided when we booked that we are good with any itinerary changes they make.  We fly regularly for business and we have more business trips each week.  I learned early on that the airlines are regularly making schedule adjusts and while some of them aren't the best, I'm trying hard to go with the flow.  

These are not easy time for any businesses in the service industry and cruise lines are among them.  Flexibility and patience are key....even though it's sometimes difficult to keep this in perspective.  I know that none of this is being done to intentionally cause passengers distress.

If we get to cruise in August, that's all I want.  Where we go is a bonus so we can support whatever islands we visit.

Wishing everyone a happy and fun cruise....

• Like 2