The Daily for Tuesday Jun 15, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Captain Jeroen v D turned his big ship, Nieuw Amsterdam, around at Berth #93 of the port of L.A. (San Pedro) yesterday so that his crew can perform routine maintenance, hull cleaning and davits load testing on the starboard side as they continue to take on crew and make ready for a shortened 2021 Alaska season out of Seattle which will commence on July 24th. That's him, the captain, during his daily exercise routine around Deck 10, saying hi, and taking a pic himself, of his former security officer (Zuiderdam) ashore in the Catalina Cruises parking lot 😉

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of nature

May be an image of text that says 'NIEUW AMSTERDAM'

May be an image of one or more people and outdoors

May be an image of palm trees and road

Thanks for the pictures John. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well, I'm late again.  Tuesday is our Sunday, so we went to church this morning;  I read The Daily News before we left, so I remembered to say special prayers for Tana, Sam and Carol,  and all the rest of my extended family here! Then of course, coffee, errands, a walk, and then lunch, so here I am.   We are all set to take our neighbour, Ruth and her DH, Ron, (who has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's and is a bit fidgety) out to Langford tomorrow to get their shots.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Roger lived in a military oriented retirement village.  His widow sent me a photo of the flag at the gate lowered yesterday in his honor:

169269977_20210614_082359(Small).jpg.260dcc409d664943a7328ec5799155bb.jpg

My niece also told me her and her kids have booked the inaugural sailing of the Mardi Gras on July 21 and invited me along.  I had to decline since I may still be in rehab.

Roy

• Like 28

It is a nice, cool day here in the Pacific NW.  Maybe a little rain tonight, then the summer weather is coming back.  The wine today reminded me of when we lived in the San Francisco area in the 1960s.  If we had out of the area guests we would often take them to tour the Beringer Winery.  It was built in the late 1800s and had large limestone caves for storing wine that were carved out by the same Chinese laborers that built the transcontinental railroad.  (Or so they said.)  They had a nice picnic and wine tasting area and the wines were good then, too.  We used to drink a fairly sweet white wine called Malvasia Bianca before we became more "sophisticated" wine drinkers.

Reading about Uruguay and the mate cups reminded me that we have a couple sitting on a shelf for a few years.  Seemed like the thing to buy when there, but like many souvenirs, you never actually use them when you get home.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

It is a nice, cool day here in the Pacific NW.  Maybe a little rain tonight, then the summer weather is coming back.  The wine today reminded me of when we lived in the San Francisco area in the 1960s.  If we had out of the area guests we would often take them to tour the Beringer Winery.  It was built in the late 1800s and had large limestone caves for storing wine that were carved out by the same Chinese laborers that built the transcontinental railroad.  (Or so they said.)  They had a nice picnic and wine tasting area and the wines were good then, too.  We used to drink a fairly sweet white wine called Malvasia Bianca before we became more "sophisticated" wine drinkers.

Reading about Uruguay and the mate cups reminded me that we have a couple sitting on a shelf for a few years.  Seemed like the thing to buy when there, but like many souvenirs, you never actually use them when you get home.

Your posting about Beringer Winery brought back memories of when we lived in Fairfield CA not that far from Napa Valley.  We would go to the wineries here and there, especially when we had guests visiting from out of state.  Beringer was our favorite winery to visit.  I loved the Bavarian style home in which they were running the business, the great tasting varieties, the storage area you mentioned.  The home was supposedly a copy of their family home back in Europe.  304ccaacc5f0a04ffe701bc038ebd455.jpg

• Like 20

2 hours ago, dfish said:

@mamaofami  Good grief!  Please be careful!   Sam needs you in top form.  It is amazing how we lose the ability to do simple things like get up off the floor.   I was having a lot of trouble with that and went to some "gentle yoga" classes with my sister.   The exercises helped strengthen me without a stressful workout and I learned how to get up in a semi graceful manner.   That even worked for me after two knee replacements.   Now, I don't have to scoot to the stairs and dangle my legs over them to stand up.

@rafinmd I was remiss in not letting you know that I was thinking of you yesterday.  It is a difficult milestone to mark and it was good that you were busy.

I wish I knew how to get up in a semi graceful manner, and could do it.  I can still get off the floor, but it is not pretty.  😱 

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I'm driving north from St Petersburg and our first stop is Savannah. Beautiful old city! Stopped at the riverfront hotel and surprised to see the Rotterdam coming by! Not our Rotterdam, but the container ship Rotterdam Star.

20210615_165554.jpg

20210615_170448.jpg

20210615_170500.jpg

20210615_171239.jpg

20210615_172251.jpg

20210615_173846.jpg

20210615_174051.jpg

20210615_174104.jpg

I love Savannah!  DH and I should go there more often.  I remember when we first moved to Georgia 10 years ago we would drive to Savannah to eat at some of their famous barbecue spots.  Stick around a few hours then drive back home.  It's about a 3 hour drive.  Enjoy your visit to Savannah!

• Like 11

Thank you all for the daily.

Like the prunes, take passable nature photos on the phone, and definitely agree with the power of a smile.

We were in Montevideo in Oct 2017 on the Zaandam, however it was a very wet day.  I have enjoyed all the lovely sunny pictures presented since we didn't really see much. 

@smitty34877 While I'm glad that you have a diagnosis for Tana, I hope and pray her progression is very slow and that course of treatment slows it down even more.  My DH has IPF and my heart goes out to you.  You and Tana will be in my prayers.

@mamaofamiPlease take care of yourself.  Glad to hear Sam is doing better.

Prayers to all those on the care list and all who need them.  Best wishes to all.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

I'm driving north from St Petersburg and our first stop is Savannah. Beautiful old city! Stopped at the riverfront hotel and surprised to see the Rotterdam coming by! Not our Rotterdam, but the container ship Rotterdam Star.

20210615_165554.jpg

20210615_170448.jpg

20210615_170500.jpg

20210615_171239.jpg

20210615_172251.jpg

20210615_173846.jpg

20210615_174051.jpg

20210615_174104.jpg

Great pictures. Absolutely wonderful city. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’m really late, today.  I spent a good part of the day cleaning out old stuff in our storage area.  Amazing what’s still there.

We have sailed twice to Montevideo on BHBs.  Amsterdam took us there in February, 2005, and Prinsendam, in January, 2011.  Thanks to all who posted pictures.

• Like 11

1 hour ago, baltic17 said:

Thank you all for the daily.

Like the prunes, take passable nature photos on the phone, and definitely agree with the power of a smile.

We were in Montevideo in Oct 2017 on the Zaandam, however it was a very wet day.  I have enjoyed all the lovely sunny pictures presented since we didn't really see much. 

@smitty34877 While I'm glad that you have a diagnosis for Tana, I hope and pray her progression is very slow and that course of treatment slows it down even more.  My DH has IPF and my heart goes out to you.  You and Tana will be in my prayers.

@mamaofamiPlease take care of yourself.  Glad to hear Sam is doing better.

Prayers to all those on the care list and all who need them.  Best wishes to all.

We also  hope  the  progression can  be  slowed  and  that  it  is  not  too  extensive. I know  you  understand all  too well what  one  can  expect. I  appreciate your  prayers. Thank  you.

• Like 9

I'm just now getting to this, back is still bothering me, although it IS improving, bedrest is the only thing that seems to help. 

To all the listers: thank you!  Thoughts and prayers to all that need them.  

The thundershowers forecast for today have not yet materialized, it's the last chance for any moisture before the big warm-up, the rest of June will be sunny and mild by air, but we're at our peek daylight hours, combined with southern exposure so it'll be hellish any way you slice it.  I'm pricing swamp coolers.  Since there was no way I could lift a portable ac unit up two flights of stairs.  I've heard mixed reviews on them, but we are in a dry climate and I think that's one of the main requirements for them to be somewhat effective.  

Have a great evening everybody!

Oh: I might as well post this here too.  This makes me feel like it's more real now.

1078355655_Screenshot_20210615-1743372.thumb.png.82b43287f9e235758246d59e8adbd73b.png

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 15

Good evening, Dailyites.  I'm late to the news today and haven't read too much, as I'm trying not to be online too much, but want nonetheless say a prayer for our Daily family and wish everyone a peaceful evening.

I have been to Montevideo and was, frankly, disappointed.  Perhaps our expectations were too high.  Interesting place, though.

And from the girl who gives you catsup on scrambled eggs and corned beef...

I highly recommend prune yoghurt.  Mix some chopped up prunes in plain unsweetened yoghurt.   You won't regret it.  😋  😉

• Like 15

Thanks for all the  daily information, photos and humour.  

@bennybear your comment reminded me of a visit to Noumea, (New Caledonia) after we had been ashore, we were sitting in the Lido of the Volendam when a woman sat at the table behind us loudly complaining for several minutes to her companion that she did not  understand the street names as they were not written in American.

It's another damp foggy day, temperature 11C.

Best wishes to everyone on the care list.

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, erewhon said:

Thanks for all the  daily information, photos and humour.  

@bennybear your comment reminded me of a visit to Noumea, (New Caledonia) after we had been ashore, we were sitting in the Lido of the Volendam when a woman sat at the table behind us loudly complaining for several minutes to her companion that she did not  understand the street names as they were not written in American.

It's another damp foggy day, temperature 11C.

Best wishes to everyone on the care list.

She should try  Greek, lol., or Dutch🤷‍♀️😉

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, atexsix said:

but we are in a dry climate and I think that's one of the main requirements for them to be somewhat effective.  

I'm not sure I would say your climate is dry in the Pacific NW and swamp coolers really don't work if it's damp or raining or wet or humid.  Also they aren't very good for those with allergies.  And to make them work properly you have to have another window open.  We had a swamp cooler back in the first home we ever had and we hated it.  Have you looked into installing a wall air conditioner?  We were just at our rental cabin and the owner had installed one, it was an LG, and it was wonderful.  In fact there were times I was too cold.  The owner hesitated to install it because he had to cut into the wall but he selected a great spot that was perfect.

• Like 6

Good evening here to everyone!  Good to be home.  I have missed all the good news here. 
Awesome weather coming our way.  Rain has made the lawn and weeds sure grow.  Tomorrow will be yard work and getting the house ready for family to start arriving next week.  We will have a family memorial/celebration of life for DH’s dad who passed in Feb.,  2 weeks shy of being 100.  Result from a fall.  Will be great to have everyone home for a while!  
Take care all.  Prayers to everyone.  Plus cheers to those celebrating.

🤗

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I'm not sure I would say your climate is dry in the Pacific NW and swamp coolers really don't work if it's damp or raining or wet or humid.  Also they aren't very good for those with allergies.  And to make them work properly you have to have another window open.  We had a swamp cooler back in the first home we ever had and we hated it.  Have you looked into installing a wall air conditioner?  We were just at our rental cabin and the owner had installed one, it was an LG, and it was wonderful.  In fact there were times I was too cold.  The owner hesitated to install it because he had to cut into the wall but he selected a great spot that was perfect.

Already rejected the idea, too humid here, I'm just going to go to best buy for an ac, they will carry it up the stairs.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, oakridger said:

@atexsix That is a wise decision!  No need to strain yourself or be uncomfortable!

~Nancy

Exactly, no way I can lift anywhere close to 40 lbs, when they are used to delivering refrigerators, washers, and dryers, so this will be like lifting a pillow.

• Like 5