Alaska Tour Questions

Stockjock

Hello.  My GF and I will be visiting Alaska for the first time around May/June of next year on Celebrity.  Celebrity has a ton of tours, most of which seem somewhat expensive.

The reality is that I don't want to go overboard with expensive excursions.  I don't need to take a helicopter to land on a glacier and if I want to see whales, I can see them in my hometown of San Diego.

I booked with a large travel agency and they offer a 3 port "value package" for around $169 per person that includes:

1. Juneau City and Mendenhall Glacier tour.

2. Saxman Native Village and Ketchikan City tour.

3. Skagway City and White Pass tour (bus).

In your view, would these tours be adequate or are there some tours that I might really regret missing that aren't too expensive?  For example, I've heard that the White Pass Railway is interesting.  This tour package does include White Pass, but by bus rather than train.

Also, should we consider doing something on the back-end of the cruise?  The travel agent said it's mandatory that we buy transport from Seward to the airport in advance, we can only do bus or train, and apparently the train is sold out.  Not quite sure I understand that one.

Our itinerary is shown below.  Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback!

Fri,   Vancouver, BC, Canada        4:30pm
 Sat,     Inside Passage, AK (Cruising)        
 Sun,    Ketchikan, AK    7:00am    3:00pm
 Mon,   Icy Strait Point, AK    9:00am    7:00pm
 Tue,    Juneau, AK    7:00am    9:30pm
 Wed,  Skagway, AK    7:00am    4:00pm
 Thu,   Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising)        
 Fri,     Anchorage (Seward), AK    5:00am    

Edited by Stockjock

There's several ways to get to Anchorage from Seward... The Alaska Railroad has a train in the evening, there's other bus companies in addition to what the cruise line offers, there's rental cars, there's private transport that can be arranged.

My preference would be a rental car from Hertz, but it's pricey for one way drop off. The train in the evening would be my second choice. Don't let the cruise line bully you into anything... There's nothing you book through the cruise line that you can't book independently, sometimes for much cheaper. Look directly at the provider's website... Google is your friend.

If you decide to do any exploring of Southcentral Alaska after the cruise, the TripAdvisor forum for Alaska can also be a big help: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

• Like 2

ASs long as you will be getting off the ship in Seward, I would plan to spend a couple of days at least in Seward and the Kenai area.  There is a lot of cool stuff to do there.

Re your tours, why would you book them from Celebrity when you can book them more cheaply with more options directly from the vendor.  

Mendenhall Glacier - you can take a city bus there instead of paying Celebrity to get you there.

Ketchikan.  Totem Bight is much better than Saxman in my opinion as the totem poles are in a natural setting.

Skagway.  I prefer the trains as opposed to the bus tour especially if you can get yourself on one of the train trips w the steam locomotive.  Alternatively, you could rent a car and do it yourself and stop whenever you want to.  There is an option to drive into Canada or take the train into Canada but you have to have a passport to do that.

DON

Edited by donaldsc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

ASs long as you will be getting off the ship in Seward, I would plan to spend a couple of days at least in Seward and the Kenai area.  There is a lot of cool stuff to do there.

Re your tours, why would you book them from Celebrity when you can book them more cheaply with more options directly from the vendor.  

Mendenhall Glacier - you can take a city bus there instead of paying Celebrity to get you there.

Ketchikan.  Totem Bight is much better than Saxman in my opinion as the totem poles are in a natural setting.

Skagway.  I prefer the trains as opposed to the bus tour especially if you can get yourself on one of the train trips w the steam locomotive.  Alternatively, you could rent a car and do it yourself and stop whenever you want to.  There is an option to drive into Canada or take the train into Canada but you have to have a passport to do that.

DON

From what I could see, the Celebrity tour prices were pretty similar to some of the vendors I looked at, but I'll double check as the date gets closer.

I'll consider a night or two in Seward, if that's worthwhile.

5 hours ago, Stockjock said:

Also, should we consider doing something on the back-end of the cruise?  The travel agent said it's mandatory that we buy transport from Seward to the airport in advance, we can only do bus or train, and apparently the train is sold out.  Not quite sure I understand that one.

I would be wary of the "advice" being given to you by the travel agent. There is no mandate to purchase transportation in advance, and my suspicion is that the travel agent may be trying to sell you transportation that pays a commission, rather than transportation that could better meet your needs. Note that there are two trains from Seward to Anchorage. In the morning there is train that goes directly to the airport. This is an Alaska Railroad train that is chartered by Royal Caribbean, and tickets can be purchased only through the cruise line. In the evening is another train, also operated by the Alaska Railroad, but it goes into downtown Anchorage rather than to the airport. These tickets are sold by the railroad, not the cruise line. Thus, the idea that "the" train is sold out is almost certainly wrong, if only because there are two trains (my suspicion is that the travel agent does not actually know the train schedule). The largest bus transfer operation is known as Alaska Cruise Transportation, and it offers several options (both direct transportation and with sightseeing options) in the morning to both the airport and downtown Anchorage. Some small companies compete, and it is a near certainty that you would be able to obtain this transportation then and there. A regular-route company, Park Connection (the Parks Highway is named for former governor George Parks, not for any particular park), offers motorcoach service twice daily from Seward into both the airport and downtown Anchorage, with the morning trip connecting to their onward service north to Denali. Tickets can be purchased from Alaska Tour & Travel. Seward Bus Line also provides similar service twice daily from Seward, though their reviews have not always reflected well on the company. Tickets are purchased from the company itself. Finally, the travel agent's assertion that the "only" means of travel is by bus or train is clearly wrong. One can drive, taxi, hitch a ride, bicycle . . . or even walk (hike), depending on time and ambition. Again, I suspect that the travel agent is describing only those options for which a commission may be given, rather than providing you with all options.

• Like 2

Do you really want to do those tours or are you being directed to them?  Those city tours are usually easily done on your own, if you want to see some pretty touristy stuff in town. I couldn’t imagine not doing a whale watch tour in Juneau but that’s my preference. Ketchikan can be done by city bus cheaply. For a first time trip Skagway the WPYR train would also be our preference.  Everybody will be coming back on board talking about all the cool stuff they did.  Don’t be the folks who said they just walked around town.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Stockjock said:

I booked with a large travel agency and they offer a 3 port "value package" for around $169 per person that includes:

1. Juneau City and Mendenhall Glacier tour.

2. Saxman Native Village and Ketchikan City tour.

3. Skagway City and White Pass tour (bus).

I am unimpressed with this package.  There is much in each of the three ports that you would miss that would be, in my opinion/experience, more worthwhile and interesting.

Skagway:  bus one way; train the  other way.  The whole trip by bus?  No.  

Tours can be expensive.  But, the price one pays frequently indicates the worth of that experience.  If you try to do Alaska "on the cheap", you may be disappointed.  

Since you have chosen a one way cruise to Alaska you may as well see more of Alaska.  There is a lot to see and do in Seward and between Seward and Anchorage.  The Kenai Fjords National Park (6 hours +) is amazing and you could take the afternoon train along Turnagain Arm to Anchorage.  Exit Glacier, the Sealife Center, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, Alyeska Resort and more along the way if you stay overnight.

Whale watching in Alaska is a very different experience from what you experience in San Diego.  There are plenty of other experiences to enjoy that aren’t extremely expensive.  

Your TA is offering cheap city tours which will provide an introduction to Alaska.  If you take advantage of the package you will probably be scheduled for tours at times when there is something you would rather be doing.  For instance, you can plan a White Pass tour which includes both bus and train and covers more territory.  

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I am unimpressed with this package.  There is much in each of the three ports that you would miss that would be, in my opinion/experience, more worthwhile and interesting.

Skagway:  bus one way; train the  other way.  The whole trip by bus?  No.  

Tours can be expensive.  But, the price one pays frequently indicates the worth of that experience.  If you try to do Alaska "on the cheap", you may be disappointed.  

We are also considering this, but obviously the price is higher...

$161.98
$171.50
(5% OFF)PRE-CRUISE SAVINGS

Modify 
Remove

$149.98
$159.50
(5% OFF)PRE-CRUISE SAVINGS

Remove

As I understand the OP the "value package" was offered by his travel agent.  Am I misunderstanding?

There will be vendors inJuneau, Ketchikan and Skagway offering same day excursions, or at least they did during pre-covid times.  However, some of the more popular ones, such as flight seeing,  will be sold out.  

I have also bumped up a very helpful thread titled "2019 resources ....." compiled by "mapleleaves."  Check the visitor bureau websites for your specific ports as many of these website include lists of private vendors.

Also, I really think your travel agent is ill informed regarding end of the cruise train transfers.  While there may be one exception out there my understanding is that all of the cruise lines offer cruise chartered early morning transfers from either Seward or Whittier (depending on which port the cruise line uses) to the Anchorage Airport.  These early morning cruise chartered trains go directly to the airport, and are never sold out.  While the cruise line may set a deadline for booking the train transfer they inform the Alaska Railroad so the number of cars can be determined.  

The evening train from Seward to Anchorage goes to the downtown train depot and is booked directly with the Alaska Railroad.

• Like 1

With your time in Juneau, I would definitely try to take the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm, either through the cruiseline or booked independently. 

https://www.adventureboundalaska.com

It's well worth the money and will leave you with unforgettable memories.  It will take much of the day, but its my favorite thing to do in Juneau. 

• Like 2

For so many, a cruise to Alaska is a once in a lifetime trip - with all the unique excursions.  

It does really depend on what you want to do, though, on your adventure. After 4 cruises to AK, I don’t have the same urge to do as much in each place.

Some thoughts:

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier is an easy to visit destination, very peaceful.  Makes beautiful photos.  Several short hiking trails around.  I’ve seen boating on the lake below it.  As a state capital, it is a small town.  That city tour better be interesting, because it’s not obviously a place to spend a lot of time.  Yes, whale watching is probably the #1 thing for tourists - done in combination with the glacier.  (I will probably do that combo this September.  It’s not just the whales, it’s the setting / environment.  I’ve also gone whale watching in Hawaii 2 trips and Provincetown MA. I’d love to see them in Dominican Republic.  Use that as a reference to my view on whale watching.)

Ketchikan - Yawn as a town (this is a theme).  Pretty little totem park, fun, fast flowing creek near the old brothel area.  Some big tourist stores.  Cannery by the water.  Nice long jetty to walk to your ship.  Best thing in town - Bald Eagles.  Free viewing near the cannery.  Lumberjack Show is hokey for one visit.  I’ve not done totem excursions - saw them in the park.  Did a flight into/ over the Tongass Forrest - beautiful, with a landing on a glacier-fed lake.  Had fun in a self-drive Zodiac boat tour.  

Skagway - don’t blink or you will miss it.  Maybe 800 people live here.  It was a jumping off point for the Yukon Gold Rush.  If you like history, find an excursion that covers this.  Yes, the expensive heli tours are here.  We booked one the day we were there after taking a train ride up and down a mountain.  Great fun.  Second heli tour of my life.  Sister did hike, bike, float trip.  AK is great outdoors.  This is a cute town with some fun architecture along its wooden sidewalks.  There’s a pub at the end of the street with decent food.  Fudge stores.  A building whose outside is decorated with antlers.  

Icy Strait Point - is on my schedule for this September.  First visit.  Looking forward to riding the ZipRider - longest one in the world, almost a quarter mile down 1300 feet elevation change.  People whale and bear watch, too.  

Hubbard Glacier - well, you don’t leave the boat for this. It is beautiful to most people (I would be one of them).  Bring out the camera and binoculars,  spend a bunch of time on deck.  Dress warmly. It will probably be cold. As will most of the week, indoors or out, including dinner.

Your travel agency has offered you a schedule fit for 80 year olds; no offense to active 80 year olds or you or if that’s what interests you.

You can just walk around the town and then enjoy the ship you paid to be on; if you need relaxation, you will have a lot of space to yourself.

This is not intended to be mean.  When you look back at this trip, what do want to recall that could give you good memories? Plan those accordingly.  

City tours here are not like visiting Europe. No beautiful old buildings or artwork.  (There is a whale mural by Wyland on the side of a building in Anchorage).

... we drove into Canada from Skagway.  Beautiful, at times almost other-worldly.  But I am not sure Canada is letting us in.  And car rentals are very expensive or hard to find right now in most places, thanks to the virus.

I hope your cruise sails and you have the great experience doing what makes YOU TWO happy experiencing Alaska.  (and that you can afford).

I love cruises to Alaska!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, quack2 said:

With your time in Juneau, I would definitely try to take the small boat excursion to Tracy Arm, either through the cruiseline or booked independently. 

It's well worth the money and will leave you with unforgettable memories.  It will take much of the day, but its my favorite thing to do in Juneau. 

Tell me more.  We sailed up Tracy Arm on the cruise ship, but since have heard of people small boat excursions that get them “closer,” as being nearer the water seems to make it more intimate.  Have you done both?

For what it’s worth, I did contact the travel agent and I had her remove the transfers. I told her that we would probably stay a couple of extra days in Seward, which is likely true, and that we may rent a car. I think if I do use a transfer back to the airport, I would be more inclined to pay a little extra to take the train as opposed to taking a van or a bus.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, alohayall said:

Tell me more.  We sailed up Tracy Arm on the cruise ship, but since have heard of people small boat excursions that get them “closer,” as being nearer the water seems to make it more intimate.  Have you done both?

I have done both.  Like yours, my cruise ship got to a certain point, well away from glacier face, before turning around.  It was nice scenery, but nothing like getting closer to the glacier.  On the small ship we got pretty close to the glacier.  Depending on time of year, you may see harbor seals and pubs on the ice floes.  The small boat also gets close to the awesome blue-colored icebergs, allowing for great photographs.  You also can travel close to the shore to experience waterfalls.

I haven't done the small boat excursion that leaves from the ship when you are in Tracy Arm.  That might be another way to experience the small boat benefits.

Note that few Juneau itineraries accommodate the small boat excursion out of Juneau.  You need to arrive in Juneau in time to meet the boat at 8 a.m. 

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 1:41 PM, Stockjock said:

For what it’s worth, I did contact the travel agent . . . . I told her that we would probably stay a couple of extra days in Seward . . . . I think if I do use a transfer back to the airport, I would be more inclined to pay a little extra to take the train as opposed to taking a van or a bus.

The train service from Seward that goes directly to the airport departs early in the morning, only on certain days, and as it is a train chartered by individual cruise lines, you would need to find a cruise line that would be willing to sell tickets to you without you having necessarily taken a cruise with that line. The evening departure, for which tickets are readily available from the Alaska Railroad to all intending passengers, only goes to the station in downtown Anchorage, not to the airport. So were you to travel on the evening train, once in Anchorage you would then need to arrange transportation further onward to the airport (though with the train arriving in Anchorage at 10:15 p.m., it is likely that you would likely be needing to spend the night in Anchorage, going to the airport the next day; bus route 40 operates frequently from downtown Anchorage to the airport, a half-hour journey, for a $2.00 fare).

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:17 PM, alohayall said:

For so many, a cruise to Alaska is a once in a lifetime trip - with all the unique excursions.  

It does really depend on what you want to do, though, on your adventure. After 4 cruises to AK, I don’t have the same urge to do as much in each place.

Some thoughts:

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier is an easy to visit destination, very peaceful.  Makes beautiful photos.  Several short hiking trails around.  I’ve seen boating on the lake below it.  As a state capital, it is a small town.  That city tour better be interesting, because it’s not obviously a place to spend a lot of time.  Yes, whale watching is probably the #1 thing for tourists - done in combination with the glacier.  (I will probably do that combo this September.  It’s not just the whales, it’s the setting / environment.  I’ve also gone whale watching in Hawaii 2 trips and Provincetown MA. I’d love to see them in Dominican Republic.  Use that as a reference to my view on whale watching.)

Ketchikan - Yawn as a town (this is a theme).  Pretty little totem park, fun, fast flowing creek near the old brothel area.  Some big tourist stores.  Cannery by the water.  Nice long jetty to walk to your ship.  Best thing in town - Bald Eagles.  Free viewing near the cannery.  Lumberjack Show is hokey for one visit.  I’ve not done totem excursions - saw them in the park.  Did a flight into/ over the Tongass Forrest - beautiful, with a landing on a glacier-fed lake.  Had fun in a self-drive Zodiac boat tour.  

Skagway - don’t blink or you will miss it.  Maybe 800 people live here.  It was a jumping off point for the Yukon Gold Rush.  If you like history, find an excursion that covers this.  Yes, the expensive heli tours are here.  We booked one the day we were there after taking a train ride up and down a mountain.  Great fun.  Second heli tour of my life.  Sister did hike, bike, float trip.  AK is great outdoors.  This is a cute town with some fun architecture along its wooden sidewalks.  There’s a pub at the end of the street with decent food.  Fudge stores.  A building whose outside is decorated with antlers.  

Icy Strait Point - is on my schedule for this September.  First visit.  Looking forward to riding the ZipRider - longest one in the world, almost a quarter mile down 1300 feet elevation change.  People whale and bear watch, too.  

Hubbard Glacier - well, you don’t leave the boat for this. It is beautiful to most people (I would be one of them).  Bring out the camera and binoculars,  spend a bunch of time on deck.  Dress warmly. It will probably be cold. As will most of the week, indoors or out, including dinner.

Your travel agency has offered you a schedule fit for 80 year olds; no offense to active 80 year olds or you or if that’s what interests you.

You can just walk around the town and then enjoy the ship you paid to be on; if you need relaxation, you will have a lot of space to yourself.

This is not intended to be mean.  When you look back at this trip, what do want to recall that could give you good memories? Plan those accordingly.  

City tours here are not like visiting Europe. No beautiful old buildings or artwork.  (There is a whale mural by Wyland on the side of a building in Anchorage).

... we drove into Canada from Skagway.  Beautiful, at times almost other-worldly.  But I am not sure Canada is letting us in.  And car rentals are very expensive or hard to find right now in most places, thanks to the virus.

I hope your cruise sails and you have the great experience doing what makes YOU TWO happy experiencing Alaska.  (and that you can afford).

I love cruises to Alaska!

What tour company are you using in Juneau that combines both tours

On 6/16/2021 at 8:07 PM, quack2 said:

This looks good, and it's a great price, but not possible for us. Our ship doesn't get into Juneau until noon, and the only times offered are early morning. We'll be on the Majestic Princess, and I suppose Princes has booked all this company's ships for the afternoon. 

3 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

This looks good, and it's a great price, but not possible for us. Our ship doesn't get into Juneau until noon, and the only times offered are early morning. We'll be on the Majestic Princess, and I suppose Princes has booked all this company's ships for the afternoon. 

That is a problem for the small boat excursion.  I think you have to check in at 8 a.m. so your ship needs to arrive in Juneau by 7:00.  I wish I knew why they leave that early since many ships arrive at 8 a.m. or 9 a.m. and stay until that night.  I guess they have their reasons.

• Like 1

We've done Alaska inner passage 15 years ago and are planning to go again in September.

15 years ago, we did this:

Sitka -- wildlife sightseeing boat

Juneau -- Helicopter to top of glacier (weather didn't permit this so we when to the foot of one)

Ketchikan -- Float plane to Misty Fjord

Victoria -- this was skipped due to weather

The most memorable was the float plane to Misty Fjord (with landing on lake) -- it was expensive but well worth the money.  I'd skip the Juneau helicopter -- too expensive to fly just to end up in a bunch of rocks.

In September, I have been doing a lot of research.  We are taking my 86 year old father so, it's going to be a mix of easy to do stuff and going off on our own for some hikes.   Here's the plans so far:

Sitka -- on-our-own bus to Fortress of the Bear, Rapture center, and the totem park.   Will probably hike here a little without the old man 🙂

Icy Point Straight -- Zip line, seashore walk into town, father will be taking the shuttle 

Juneau --  Bus to Mendenhall glacier, hike, Mt. Roberts Tramway

Ketchikan -- Misty Fjords and Wilderness Explorer boat tour (https://allenmarinetours.com/ketchikan/fjord-wilderness/ Royal Caribbean chartered this)

• Like 1

My favorite thing to do is a Whale Watching Tour in Juneau! We went on a VERY small boat (seats 6 plus the Captain) and had a blast! Watching a pod of whales "Bubble- Netting" is a fabulous experience! Sorry, IMHO, it is not the same as seeing whales in San Diego I I was born there and lived in S. Cal MANY years).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have whales up here in SF too so here's what I'm doing with prices:

Hiking at Juneau Tramway - ticket $25pp with Princess. $45 there.

Zipline at Skagway through ship

Ketchikan - $5 pp for all day bus. Stop #1 Totem Bight Park inc Clan House, #2 Saxman Village & eagles, #3 Creek Street and wander to Totem Park, #4 Lumberjack Show $37pp. Total tickets that day $43pp + donation 10pp

Edited by Ombud

In Ketchikan, it's easy to take a public bus to Totem Bight State Historical Park. That will run you $2 per person round trip. You'll have time to walk to Creek Street and shop a bit. It will be too early in the season to see the salmon swimming upstream to spawn, but you could have time to walk up to the hatchery.

I went to Icy Strait Point for the first time two years ago. There's not much there. Once again, it's too early in the season to see any bears. The people on my cruise who tried (and I was there the third week in June) were very disappointed. I just walked into Hoonah and back. It's nice to see a town not taken over by the usual tourist traps. The cannery exhibits near the dock are interesting. I also enjoyed watching the zipliners. There were eagles nesting in the trees near the dock.

There's plenty in Juneau without taking a tour. The city is very walkable. As mentioned above, you can take a public bus to get you to Mendenhall Glacier. It's about a mile and a half, though, from the bus stop to the visitors center and then you'll want to hike the Nugget Falls Trail as well. Another option is one of the shuttle buses. They leave every half hour near the pier. They're a bit more expensive but still less than booking through the cruise line. Plus you can catch any bus back and not be rushed there.

There's also the State Museum. It has some very nice exhibits on the history of Alaska. The capitol building offers free tours on weekdays. We took one on our first Alaskan cruise and thought it was very good.

You don't have a lot of time in Skagway. We rented a car once and drove into the Yukon. I enjoyed being able to stop where and when I wanted. One of the most memorable things we did was stop beside a bridge. I climbed a ridge and found some delicious wild blueberries. There was a waterfall nearby. At another stop, we watched an eagle fishing in a lake. But if you want to go into the Yukon, I'd recommend booking an excursion due to your limited time. 

Skagway has a lot of interesting things to do without taking the train/bus to the Yukon. The National Park Service has several guided tours. On my last time there, I rented a bike and road along Dyea Road, ate lunch at Olivia's, and toured Soapy Smith's house. The trip before I had walked to the Gold Rush cemetery and Lower Reid Falls. (I was on back-to-back cruises that stopped there just a few days apart--so I was not trying to fit everything into one day.)

On my last cruise, there was a small boat excursion offered at Hubbard Glacier. A woman I met who did it thought it was worth the cost. I had taken a small boat excursion in Whittier and did not splurge to do another one.

All of the above said, some of our best excursions have been kayaking. We have done it in Haines, Skagway, and Ketchikan. I also loved snorkeling in Ketchikan, if that's offered by your cruise line.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, geoherb said:

kayaking. We have done it in Haines, Skagway, and Ketchikan.

Hadn't thought about kayaking in Ketchikan. Might like that more than the Lumberjack Show. Can you tell me more about it? I've got all day there.

8 minutes ago, Ombud said:

Hadn't thought about kayaking in Ketchikan. Might like that more than the Lumberjack Show. Can you tell me more about it? I've got all day there.

I don't remember the company I booked it through since it was a dozen years ago. It was one of the local ones that I booked independently. I do remember it was a guided trip--as opposed to our kayaking at Mendenhall Lake on our own. That was also a great experience in spite of the horrid weather that day.

• Thanks 1