The Daily for Tuesday Jun 22, 2021

richwmn

6 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

One plant was a mammoth Hosta that I had to chop into four sections to even get it out of the hole! 

Wow!  Good for you.  I have a huge one, I don’t think I can do and I needs it doing.  I was thinking of a “want a hosta party and come and help”

Wish you were closer.  You are truly talented. the pavers are beautiful but I’m impressed on the hosta.  

You could give a good Garden Club Participant tip tomorrow on how the heck you did it.

• Like 10

6 hours ago, Av8rix said:

@atexsix, you're down in King County aren't you?  @Cruising-alongand I are up north here in SnoCo, where it's generally cooler (yeah, even in winter when we get snow and you don't).  Anyway, I checked the 10-day forecast and it looks like the darn stationary Pacific High will settle in early this year.  Lowest high-temp forecast for my zip code will be 76 on Aug 6!  But it was 66 for my morning walk an hour ago.

Yes, toward Issaquah, close enough to the foothills to be about 5 degrees warmer than whatever Seattle is. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, dfish said:

I'm feeling almost normal now.   Just slightly fatigued, but no chills or sweats or fever.  I think whatever this is, it is moving along rapidly.   I'll take some garlic and chase the rest of it away!

@VMax1700 I love Killarney.   That is where I bought my woolen sweater that I was wearing this morning and the luck of the Irish chased the chills away as soon as I put it on.  I have had it for ages and love it.  It is so warm and has held up so well.

@atexsix I would buy the window unit and pay the young guys across the street to haul it upstairs for you.   They would probably be more than willing to help out and a $10 or $20 would make them even happier to do so.  I don't hesitate to offer to pay the neighborhood young ones to do some of the things I can no longer do.  It also helps to get to know them.

@Cruising-alongDon't worry about me.  I'm actually pretty hardy.  Generally I don't have patience for being sick and think nothing of it.  At this point, I would rule out COVID.  If that is what it is, it is the fastest case on record.  I have no rash, so doubt it is shingles.   If it is flu, it is the fast acting kind and is on the way out already.   

Ok, time for lunch.

@dfish except now everybody is sold out, lol.  

Was thinking more about your mysterious fever, something I'm often prone to, I don't know how many times the doctors have been baffled, one time a low fever lasted 6 weeks.  But there've been other times it's been explainable: medication side effect and too much time in the sun.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

About 15 years ago I was called for jury duty in Los Angeles and had to go to the downtown courthouse for a day. It was an easier trip for me than for many. I lived in Koreatown, close in, so it was 9 minutes on the subway.

I was assigned to a panel from which jurors for one trial were to be selected. It was a strange- sounding case that appeared from the line of questions by the lawyers to be about medical malpractice, but was actually about religious discrimination in a medical office.

People had all sorts of ingenious excuses for not serving: anxiety about the bus strike that was going on, the grocery strike, or the wild fires burning out in the LA hills; belonging to the same denomination as the defendant and not believing that a fellow member would do such a thing; and having had every member of her family, including herself, killed or maimed by conventional medicine.... I'm a professional religious worker in one of the religions involved and was fairly sure that I wouldn't be chosen, but I was 34th out of 35 in the panel and they filled the jury at #33.

The only time I've served on a jury was in Massachusetts, where there is no voir dire, and so no way to demonstrate that you're too eccentric to serve. Basically, you have to be dead or in prison. Even lawyers and judges serve on juries; the judge in our case had just returned from jury duty, but in another courthouse where the court employees wouldn't recognize him. Even police officers serve, although usually only in civil cases.

I was called last November, but turned out I was not needed.  I was ready to serve even though it would have been terribly inconvenient because of having to take two buses to get downtown.  I had a stroke a few weeks later and don't know if it would have interfered with this or future calls, in any respect I'm excused until 2022.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:
Hello all , I am late to the party once again and was surprised there were no pictures  yet of New Caledonia today . 

We were in Noumea , New Caledonia on a transition cruise from Auckland to Vancouver in April of 2013 on the Oosterdam and we had formed a nice small group tour with a local guide.

579619931_NZAU2013749.thumb.jpg.ba83b06974773089e93e4584640ac1c8.jpg

We made a few stops in the town and than went to a large park and a had some nice refreshing coconuts at the guides home .

1386852410_NZAU2013758.thumb.jpg.b018f9f011d32ed0cfa6f10cf2394549.jpg

530455975_NZAU2013755.thumb.jpg.ec0f796b1ee25f737487f914557603db.jpg

1494387693_NZAU2013745.thumb.jpg.a05acacb467b53588d19d0eca140a1d1.jpg

2140826089_NZAU2013146.thumb.jpg.1524714a66860c38b651ddd5dc729951.jpg

416132172_NZAU20131452.thumb.jpg.aa80dcdbf2f5056ed58e788149d1f9d9.jpg

1338295602_NZAU2013763.thumb.jpg.24bac81826f0226beb67c0f612fedd1c.jpg

215840635_NZAU2013762.thumb.jpg.355d873aa8950204aafee708d2d0176f.jpg

1503044372_NZAU20137562.thumb.jpg.c65ef1017d5f821bb28129f962b4e7a0.jpg

899339105_NZAU2013754.thumb.jpg.a43b8244b89777954d378998a7fffda8.jpg

Don't know why Martha was frowning , it was a nice little treat on a warm day .

1421686557_NZAU2013765.thumb.jpg.63072857cbef3c20ffeb1870910c995a.jpg

Very nice day was had by all and it was also really nice to learn about a different culture on these French South Pacific Islands. New Caledonian soils contain about 25 % of the worlds nickel . 

Next stop Suva, Fiji 

Tony 😄

That fruit looked huge, what was it?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, kochleffel said:

About 15 years ago I was called for jury duty in Los Angeles and had to go to the downtown courthouse for a day. It was an easier trip for me than for many. I lived in Koreatown, close in, so it was 9 minutes on the subway.

I was assigned to a panel from which jurors for one trial were to be selected. It was a strange- sounding case that appeared from the line of questions by the lawyers to be about medical malpractice, but was actually about religious discrimination in a medical office.

People had all sorts of ingenious excuses for not serving: anxiety about the bus strike that was going on, the grocery strike, or the wild fires burning out in the LA hills; belonging to the same denomination as the defendant and not believing that a fellow member would do such a thing; and having had every member of her family, including herself, killed or maimed by conventional medicine.... I'm a professional religious worker in one of the religions involved and was fairly sure that I wouldn't be chosen, but I was 34th out of 35 in the panel and they filled the jury at #33.

The only time I've served on a jury was in Massachusetts, where there is no voir dire, and so no way to demonstrate that you're too eccentric to serve. Basically, you have to be dead or in prison. Even lawyers and judges serve on juries; the judge in our case had just returned from jury duty, but in another courthouse where the court employees wouldn't recognize him. Even police officers serve, although usually only in civil cases.

I live about 1 1/2 hours from Philadelphia, there is no public transportation from my city to there . Also, the CDC says my age is vulnerable. 
I would serve if it was more  convenient and safe 

• Like 8

45 minutes ago, kazu said:

I will give you more  to add to it.  When we were travelling over bogs (which makes the roads very bouncy), our travelling companion had a Fitbit and it said he had climbed more than 30,000 stairs.  We would just sit there and laugh as we saw it climb.

Another time I booked a HAL private mini bus (don’t get me started).  It definitely needed new struts and someone else’s fit bit did the same thing - not the same amount of stairs but significant.  It was a good giggle as we travelled.

We had all climbed gazillion stairs without moving a muscle 😉

I once did 19,000 steps sitting in a chair on my back deck and rocking.

• Like 9
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, atexsix said:

Yes, toward Issaquah, close enough to the foothills to be about 5 degrees warmer than whatever Seattle is. 

BUMMER!

I meant about the "5 degrees warmer".  Not Issaquah, which is such a pretty area.

Edited by Av8rix
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Prayers for those who need healing (an acquaintance with ALS (she lost her husband recently) passed this week

So sorry to hear this.  Prayers for you acquaintance and condolences 🙏🏻 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the information, photos and humour today.

It's a sunny day temperature 10C.

@rafinmd best wishes for the proceedure tomorrow, and Happy Birthday.

@VMax1700 Happy Birthday for tomorrow, safe travelling.

@kazulovely Peonies,thanks for the photo.

On Saturday a person from Sydney flew to Wellington, returned to Sydney on Monday, was not feeling well, diagnosed with Covid, several Wellingtonians are having to isolate, have covid tests, he  visited many sites, one beingTe Papa who have had to cancel a booked conference. 

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

All is quiet here now!  Granddaughter loves having one on one !  We had a wonderful day. Made cookies, walked the bridge and looked at the seals, played Yahtzee, drew pictures and read. Oh forgot finished last night’s movie.  Rest of the family starts arriving tomorrow.  DH stayed in Vancouver to finish up work and will bring our grandson with him.  Can’t wait for us all to be together ! 
Thank you for all the pictures and news.  
Praying for all on care list.  Cheers to those celebrating.

• Like 10