The Daily for Tuesday Jun 22, 2021

richwmn

1 hour ago, kazu said:

All the talk of the Bordeaux bridge made me go back and look at some of the pics from when we were on the Prinsendam and went under.  One of the beauties of that ship was she fit under and could dock right downtown 👍 

From 2019:

5C3D9421-0A9F-4611-8CE6-DA4F4DE59364.thumb.jpeg.d5f818b9d4c6385b8bc23b427b44f9ab.jpeg

95B781D9-00BC-439E-9CF3-1FF3BEB8C939.thumb.jpeg.663c84819fab79244c85d8b51c9095b2.jpeg

019795A0-9D26-47F4-AB70-32EA126E7A6F.thumb.jpeg.6beb5898a0ff01a9ef0990ec59e209db.jpeg

The bridge in the distance as we were leaving:

C7098F5C-6DC0-4457-B2DB-006357711CAF.thumb.jpeg.ab62ddcbbb0cb4ae4277e7898f966b70.jpeg

and our second bridge:

5DFE709D-4CE6-4120-B49A-FEAEDF6F0EFF.thumb.jpeg.a213d59ddb49a1ed4f15e9cb7492e0e5.jpeg

50DDEABB-D482-473A-B138-57811194956E.thumb.jpeg.c5356b91b9a36b6f06137791a314cf59.jpeg

535E7A95-AD5C-4246-A02D-3F5E7112B016.thumb.jpeg.7b3c9010d5a1bade9e8d19680420027c.jpeg

Not a ton of space to clear for sure.

The ship brought down it’s satellite/antenna (sorry I can’t remember the word for the tall things) to go under the bridge.

Jacqui while you were on the aft of the ship that day, we were near the bow!  My view:enhance

Looking over at the roadway as we went underneath the bridge:enhance

Looking behind at the raised bridge as we neared the second bridge:enhance

And here we are approaching:enhance

Quite the dark clouds, right?

• Like 29

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Jacqui while you were on the aft of the ship that day, we were near the bow!  My view:enhance

Looking over at the roadway as we went underneath the bridge:enhance

Looking behind at the raised bridge as we neared the second bridge:enhance

And here we are approaching:enhance

Quite the dark clouds, right?

Do you remember which "porch" you were on.  I'm thinking most likely deck 8 next to the entry by the 2 solo cabins.

Roy

• Like 7

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  Protect our rain forests; they protect us!  Thank goodness for the HVAC techs who keep us cool in the summer and warm in the winter.  I can take or leave onion rings, but put a plate of fries in front of me  . . . .

@dfish you've got us all worried about you, please let us know how you are.  Glad you've arranged a televisit.

It looks like our air conditioner is going to get a workout today with temperatures expected in the mid 30's.  Hopefully Claudette spares the blooms that @kazu so lovingly tends, and just heads out to sea.

A quiet day here on the "frozen tundra" with nothing really planned except the daily yard and plant maintenance, and maybe enjoying an Aperol spritz in the pergola in the afternoon.  BTW, I love Cosmopolitans, especially made with grapefruit . . . yum!  I tend to consume a number of them on each cruise because I figure the alcohol will kill off any germs (to keep me healthy), and the grapefruit will prevent scurvy.  LOL

I like today's menu suggestion, but prefer it in a bowl, rather than in a tortilla, and I love Roy's suggestion of the Pinnacle burger.  Can't wait until I can enjoy anything in the Pinnacle!  However, for us it will be leftover pork chops from last night's dinner topped with mango salsa and a vegetable to be determined.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses (afternoon and evening) to celebrate all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands and wear your masks.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 26

@StLouisCruisers, my DH  feels  the  same  way  about  long   plane  trips and  I  am  not  able  to  convince  him  otherwise(yet). He  is  a  bit  older  and  I  think  our  long seclusion  has  made  him less willing  to  be  with lots  of  people. I  guess  we  have  to  see  how  things  go.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  HVAC Techs will be in great demand these days, and the Rainforests play a vital role in out environment.  I'll pass on the onion rings.  Love the Ghandi quote.  I don't think I've ever been to New Caledonia.  I'll pass also on the Burrito.  My alternative suggestion is Pinnacle Burger with Sorbet, a lunch that almost eliminates the need for dinner.

A little quirk of Common Law I discovered while working is that one is deemed to "attain" an age the day before their birthday.  Today I attain age 78.  Tomorrow will be a strange birthday as the "highlight" will be another echocardiogram with my cardiologist.  I am not looking forward to that.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Western wildfires

Those with newly cancelled cruises

atexsix back pains

From the rotation:
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 7/4
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

lindaler’s sister visiting

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

HorizonChaser1957's daughters headed home

StLouisCruiser with family in Ohio

Second jabs for Kazu and Jose

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Very best wishes for your birthday tomorrow Roy.

I hope everything goes well tomorrow at your cardiologist appointment.

Graham.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I plan to call my doctor as soon as the office opens up.  The good news is that I can smell and taste.  Back feels a little better and I'm not shaking anymore.  In fact, I'm hot.   It is always  something.

My first Covid19 symptoms were upper body sweating then later my whole body was shivering.

My voice went quiet but I could still smell and taste things although my taste was not quite normal.

I also felt incredibly tired and slept a lot.

I pray you do not have this awful virus.

Drink plenty of fluid and take paracetamol and get a covid19 test.

Best wishes.

Graham.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It is late afternoon here and 64°F and sunny.

The bridge reminded me of Lisbon's 25th April bridge.

I usually give my onion rings to Pauline.

We are planning another day trip to Harrogate tomorrow which is about 70 miles from home.

Those fish and chips photos I posted a few days ago has me thinking of more of the same tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

• Like 21

3 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for today's daily and care reports.

It is late afternoon here and 64°F and sunny.

The bridge reminded me of Lisbon's 25th April bridge.

I usually give my onion rings to Pauline.

We are planning another day trip to Harrogate tomorrow which is about 70 miles from home.

Those fish and chips photos I posted a few days ago has me thinking of more of the same tomorrow.

I hope everyone has a nice day.

Graham.

Graham, you and Pauline go on more adventures for lunch than anyone I know!  Looks like fun!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Graham, you and Pauline go on more adventures for lunch than anyone I know!  Looks like fun!

Thank you StLouisCruisers.

Pauline only works Monday and Tuesday so the rest of the week we go out as much as possible.

I'm used to driving 40,000 miles+ a year after 42 years as a sales representative and know most places within 100 miles of home so happy to drive.

After most of the last 15 months have been in some sort of covid19 lockdown it is nice to be able to eat out.

Graham.

• Like 23

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days! Rainforests and HVAC techs are important. Mmmm, onion rings (done in the air fryer to be healthier).

Nice quote.

I like the meal and drinks. Also Roy's meal.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for pictures from those who have.

It's chilly this morning, in the 50's and we'll only get up to mid-60's. Too wet out to mow I think, but maybe I'll pick up debris from the storms.

@dfish Feel better! I hear there's flu and colds going around since mask wearing is way down. But they'll likely want you to get a Covid test. I am like that at times and can't get warm even when it's 80 in the room, then I'm hot; go figure. 

@rafinmd Early Happy Birthday! And I hope the echo is easier than the last one.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone and wear your mask if appropriate.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 21

32 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

My first Covid19 symptoms were upper body sweating then later my whole body was shivering.

My voice went quiet but I could still smell and taste things although my taste was not quite normal.

I also felt incredibly tired and slept a lot.

I pray you do not have this awful virus.

Drink plenty of fluid and take paracetamol and get a covid19 test.

Best wishes.

Graham.

I pray I don't either.   If I do, I hope it is a light case as I have been vaccinated.  Doc will decide on COVID test.  Probably get one just to make sure that isn't the problem.   She's pretty good at figuring this stuff out.  Of course, I try to give her as much information as I can.  

Right now I am doing ok.   I'm tired and my back is aching.  I don't think it is shingles as the symptoms don't really fit.   I did look them up.  

I almost forgot -  you can share your onion rights with me if Pauline doesn't want them.   I love them, but only get them maybe once a year.

Edited by dfish
  • Like 19

Happy Tuesday to everyone.  I have not posted on this thread for a while but have been reading most days.  Our sympathy to all those who lost a loved one, our hugs and positive thoughts to those who need care and our congratulations to all those who celebrated.

We are feeling quite low today as our September Rotterdam cruise was cancelled yesterday 😭.  HAL have offered to transfer the booking to October 2022, but I really don't think that we want to go to the Baltic area in early winter. 🥶  We may still end up taking the Eurodam TA that was offered as a replacement for our cancelled Volendam TA.  It clashes with school half term here, but a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

@rafinmd  Roy, I agree with that common law fact.   I am still arguing that the new millennium did not start until January 1st 2001 and not 2000 as was widely celebrated.  I also have a birthday tomorrow and Spanish all over the world will celebrate for both of us as it is "noche de San Juan".

Tomorrow we are going to Killarney for a couple of nights.  It will be our first trip away in 15 months and we are really looking forward to it.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 27

👍Thank You for The Daily,  Rich @richwmnand to Roy @rafinmd for the Care and Celebration Lists.

🙃I can't find any worthwhile photos from the two times we've stopped in (Noumea) New Caledonia on our way to Sydney.🚢 Both times were TransPacifics ..Sept. 2014 Volendam and again Sept. 2016 on the Maasdam. We're not fond of long flights and choose to cruise one way. 😉 

I switched from Cosmos to 🍷.

🙏Prayers for all in need and hope you feel better @dfish.

Katie

49b5948a824cf4fed147e248d1cb728e.jpg

• Like 22

Good Morning,

The sea breeze kicked in, finally, about an hour ago; too late for me, I tossed and turned all night from the heat.  Low 100's predicted for the weekend and trying to figure out what to do, possibly a hotel for a couple nights.  

@dfish get better soon! 

@rafinmd thanks for care list add, back is very slowly improving

@richwmn thanks for the daily

Protect the rainforests!  HVAC people do need to be appreciated, they have to go out and fix heat/ac in all kinds of weather at all hours of the day/night. No onion rings for me, they always look/smell good though.

Final payment for our sailing has been made, yay!  I noticed they had the bed configuration wrong, but it was quickly rectified after a second call.  

Have a great Tuesday everybody!

• Like 21

Good morning all!

I'm very worried about Debbie @dfish.  Praying it's nothing serious and waiting to hear what your doctor says.

We have beautiful rain forests in this part of the country, as most of you know.  I could sure use a HVAC person now.  Most of us in this area don't have A/C because we just wouldn't use it often -- but there are days....like yesterday I sure with we had it.  Our bedroom was 83 degrees F last night.  I had the fan on full blast and it was tolerable. It's still 79 degrees now upstairs.  At least today is supposed to be cooler.  

The meal sounds good, but will pass on the onion rings.  We would have been to the port of the day on our Australia/NZ/SP cruise last year but it was the first of our cruises to be cancelled.  😞  Looking forward to photos.

• Like 19

Good morning and thanks all!  will definitely celebrate rainforests and  hvac techs,  our new AC is working great!    @rafinmdhappy attainment day!   Love it, my aunt who will attain 97 this week would agree!  @dfishhope you feel better soon!  Yikes, scary! @grapau27nice to see people enjoying lunch out and @VMax1700some adventures!  We hope to head to the mountains! 

The Bordeaux wine sounds incredible,  we had the good fortune to stay at a wine agent’s home and try several premier cru’s.   Visiting the chateaux was an adventure.  

FA68C0C8-27AC-43F3-8A2A-8822BAB722A8.jpeg

• Like 25

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

I pray I don't either.   If I do, I hope it is a light case as I have been vaccinated.  Doc will decide on COVID test.  Probably get one just to make sure that isn't the problem.   She's pretty good at figuring this stuff out.  Of course, I try to give her as much information as I can.  

Right now I am doing ok.   I'm tired and my back is aching.  I don't think it is shingles as the symptoms don't really fit.   I did look them up.  

I almost forgot -  you can share your onion rights with me if Pauline doesn't want them.   I love them, but only get them maybe once a year.

I've had shingles twice, and it doesn't sound like it, I don't even think I had a fever, just pain and blistering/itching.

Your in my thoughts/prayers today.

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 11

Good morning, all! We basically owe our existence to rain forests. They are disappearing much to quickly, which does not bode well for us. HVAC is much celebrated in this sudden heat. We are to get a couple days of relief, then hit really hard. The wildfires have begun, and there is already the faintest whiff of smoke in the morning air coming from the mountains. I would love to honour onion rings today, but it’s too hot to fry them and the fast food places don’t make gluten free onion rings.

I'm enjoying a few minutes peace with my coffee on the patio overlooking the garden. The cool,air is already turned warm, and in a few minutes the sun will hit and I’ll go in. The mega lily is starting to turn into a bouquet. Soon I could just put a ribbon on it and a bride could carry it down the aisle!

EEF1F4F3-C89B-4BFC-8FFA-2EB25B00C11B.thumb.jpeg.636d52b2b9b65a6908413b80d817372f.jpeg

@dfishDebbie, I’m glad you have the teleconference with your doctor soon. I hope it’s something short lived and easily fixed. Shingles is no fun.

Happy Tuesday, everyone! CC will NOT let me upload the Tuesday elevator mat today. Any other picture, yes, the Tuesday floor mat, no. What did I miss, and when did Tuesday fall from grace? And why? What did it do? And why wasn’t I invited?

So here are a couple of garden pictures instead. CC is OK with those. 
CF7C32A2-7FF1-4B27-BA80-A66585A40478.thumb.jpeg.7fb76461a105c4d4b34b097d7f0484e3.jpeg

55C6611C-441B-401E-B7C9-02AB55F29AE0.thumb.jpeg.63626ad3663946f2a695727fb4acb3fb.jpeg

• Like 29

5 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I'm very worried about Debbie @dfish.  Praying it's nothing serious and waiting to hear what your doctor says.

We have beautiful rain forests in this part of the country, as most of you know.  I could sure use a HVAC person now.  Most of us in this area don't have A/C because we just wouldn't use it often -- but there are days....like yesterday I sure with we had it.  Our bedroom was 83 degrees F last night.  I had the fan on full blast and it was tolerable. It's still 79 degrees now upstairs.  At least today is supposed to be cooler.  

The meal sounds good, but will pass on the onion rings.  We would have been to the port of the day on our Australia/NZ/SP cruise last year but it was the first of our cruises to be cancelled.  😞  Looking forward to photos.

I stuck a fan in the window about an hour before bed and it did drop a few degrees, but it was still 75 in the room at 600 this morning.  The forecast for this weekend sounds awful!

Edited by atexsix
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruising-along said:

Yes it does.  I think your idea of a hotel is a good one!

I'm actually already booked for a hotel on Monday, I have some banking to do downtown, so that was lucky timing, and has nothing to do with the weather.  But still trying to decide on Sat/Sun.

• Like 11