The Daily for Tuesday Jun 22, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon all.  It’s a cool and rainy day here but supposed to be sunny and warmer tomorrow.

I received an email from the court that I have been excused from jury duty 🎉. I go back in the system for another year.   I really wish they would lower the age of exemption for service to 65 , it’s now 70.

Maybe I’ll go have some onion rings to celebrate.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

@grapau27where is the lovely beach in your recent post ?

• Like 19

52 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good afternoon all.  It’s a cool and rainy day here but supposed to be sunny and warmer tomorrow.

I received an email from the court that I have been excused from jury duty 🎉. I go back in the system for another year.   I really wish they would lower the age of exemption for service to 65 , it’s now 70.

Maybe I’ll go have some onion rings to celebrate.

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

@grapau27where is the lovely beach in your recent post ?

Seaham County Durham England.

5 miles from home.

Graham.

IMG_20210612_150557.jpg

IMG_20210423_113743.jpg

IMG_20200910_112107.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 20
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, durangoscots said:

@dfishI had something similar about 2 weeks ago. It lasted about 3 hours of misery and then went slowly away. I did find I was tired most of the day, but by next morning I was fine. Hope this is what you have. A passing bug of some kind. 

That is what my doctor thinks it is.  The only part lingering is the fatigue.  

2 hours ago, JazzyV said:

I'm glad you're feeling better. Back in may I had a low grade fever for a week, chills, and severe fatigue. Extensive evaluation, including a Covid test, came up with nothing, and it went away. It was assumed to be some type of viral illness.

Most likely, that is what I have.   Doctor said it could also be a UTI and if symptoms persist, I should drop off a sample to the office.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Good afternoon to my fellow Dailyites.  Tuesday is Sunday in the McCarthy household, and Pat called me from my computer before I could finish reading this thread, then after church we went for coffee, so here I am, better late than never.   I did say a big prayer at Mass for @dfish,  and am happy to hear you are feeling better.  Happy Birthdays tomorrow to Roy and Colin, and Sharon.  In Spanish it's cumpleanos;  that really should be the day before the anniversary of your birth, shouldn't it?  Except that in China they also count the nine months before you are born, so that really complicates things.  Colin, exciting to think you may look again at the Eurodam TA!  

Very excited now, DD just sent me a copy of the email inviting her to book her second jab.  Hope she gets a date soon.  It was she who sent me that video of the bridges, and we are happy it brought back some happy memories for some here!  

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good afternoon to my fellow Dailyites.  Tuesday is Sunday in the McCarthy household, and Pat called me from my computer before I could finish reading this thread, then after church we went for coffee, so here I am, better late than never.   I did say a big prayer at Mass for @dfish,  and am happy to hear you are feeling better.  

I think that is what did it!   Somebody up there listens to you.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, dfish said:

That is what my doctor thinks it is.  The only part lingering is the fatigue.  

Most likely, that is what I have.   Doctor said it could also be a UTI and if symptoms persist, I should drop off a sample to the office.  

Glad your doctor concurred with the "Daily Doctors".  🤣

• Like 7
  • Haha 6

Bob & I sailed the Orient Explorer, Singapore to San Diego, on Amsterdam, in November/December, 2005.  Noumea, New Caledonia was on the second half of our cruise.  We took a HAL tour of the Tjibaouu Cultural Center.  It’s fun getting out that album and sorry I can’t share my pictures with you.

• Like 15

6 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I think you're right.  Were you on the ship May 3, 2019 in Bordeaux too?

I was not and I think I mis-remembered somewhat.  I suspect you actually were on the deck 8 porch, but that is outside the theater.  The deck 9 porch is the one with access to the cabins.  I have a long history of of loving those porches which are similar to those on the Crystal Symphony.  That's been a go to place me in my 9 Panama Canal transits on the Symphony and Prinsendam.  I also sailed in one of the solo cabins right next to that porch on my 2017 Prinsendam transatlantic.

Roy

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Glad your doctor concurred with the "Daily Doctors".  🤣

Here is the humorous part of all this.   While I was shaking away with the chills this morning, my fitbit recorded the shakes and gave me credit for a day of exercise.   Not too shabby.

• Like 11
  • Haha 15

Don’t mind long distance air travel as long as a cruise ship waits at the destination but sure enjoyed reading tha San Diego Union Tribune and learning that Holland America is adding more San Diego cruises! Hopeful that the schedule will be a permanent plan! 

• Like 13

Good afternoon, Dailyites.

We were down in Destination of the Day - Tadine, Mare, New Caledonia in 2015 en route from San Diego to Auckland.   I wish we had photos to contribute, as so far there are few who seem to have been there, but I can't track any down.  Looking at my travel journal, it was a very interesting stop, quite rustic and authentic -- no shops or restaurants, people living in huts.  There was one excursion offered -- to a beach.  We did go there and it was a nice beach.  DH snorkeled and saw an approximately 4-foot white tip reef shark, as well as other colorful fish.

The currency was a unique kind of franc, which few on the ship had, so very few transactions took place even at the limited stalls set up by locals off the ship.  I noted in my journal, "This was a really cool stop, in a scary kind of  'Island of Dr. Moreau' way."   

And there you have it, the AW view of Tadine.   🤷‍♀️

@dfish, I hope whatever ails you moves on very quickly.  I'm glad you contacted your physician right away.  Weird mix of symptoms.

To our Dailyites experiencing troubles, prayers and hugs for you.    For those celebrating (especially some Happy Birthdays!) cheers to you!  😊

• Like 18

24 minutes ago, dfish said:

Here is the humorous part of all this.   While I was shaking away with the chills this morning, my fitbit recorded the shakes and gave me credit for a day of exercise.   Not too shabby.

You never know what Fitbit will do.  When we first got ours, went did a run out in the desert in our Polaris RZRs.  When we got back to the house, I had "walked" 10,000+ steps while sitting in the RZRs.

• Like 10
  • Haha 5

44 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I was not and I think I mis-remembered somewhat.  I suspect you actually were on the deck 8 porch, but that is outside the theater.  The deck 9 porch is the one with access to the cabins.  I have a long history of of loving those porches which are similar to those on the Crystal Symphony.  That's been a go to place me in my 9 Panama Canal transits on the Symphony and Prinsendam.  I also sailed in one of the solo cabins right next to that porch on my 2017 Prinsendam transatlantic.

Roy

Roy, I remember the Prinsendam having the promenade deck all around and at the bow there were stairs up to a viewing deck, along with a second set of stairs up to a higher viewing deck.  One of those viewing decks had some glass shields on both the port and starboard sides.  It would have been one of those viewing decks that I was watching us go under the bridges so probably the highest one.  I'm not great at remembering the deck names and I don't remember the access to the cabins but it sure could have been possible.  Too late now to go back and find out...

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

I finished a small paver project yesterday. We wanted to put a patio storage chest and extra chairs by the back patio without taking up actual patio space. It took a lot longer than anticipated since I had to move some plants first and had to wait until our heat wave subsided. One plant was a mammoth Hosta that I had to chop into four sections to even get it out of the hole! 

Congratulations! Hosta roots can be so tough that an axe is sometimes needed.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, dfish said:

I'll drink to that!😀

• Like 8
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

About 15 years ago I was called for jury duty in Los Angeles and had to go to the downtown courthouse for a day. It was an easier trip for me than for many. I lived in Koreatown, close in, so it was 9 minutes on the subway.

I was assigned to a panel from which jurors for one trial were to be selected. It was a strange- sounding case that appeared from the line of questions by the lawyers to be about medical malpractice, but was actually about religious discrimination in a medical office.

People had all sorts of ingenious excuses for not serving: anxiety about the bus strike that was going on, the grocery strike, or the wild fires burning out in the LA hills; belonging to the same denomination as the defendant and not believing that a fellow member would do such a thing; and having had every member of her family, including herself, killed or maimed by conventional medicine.... I'm a professional religious worker in one of the religions involved and was fairly sure that I wouldn't be chosen, but I was 34th out of 35 in the panel and they filled the jury at #33.

The only time I've served on a jury was in Massachusetts, where there is no voir dire, and so no way to demonstrate that you're too eccentric to serve. Basically, you have to be dead or in prison. Even lawyers and judges serve on juries; the judge in our case had just returned from jury duty, but in another courthouse where the court employees wouldn't recognize him. Even police officers serve, although usually only in civil cases.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Happy Tuesday to everyone.  I have not posted on this thread for a while but have been reading most days.  Our sympathy to all those who lost a loved one, our hugs and positive thoughts to those who need care and our congratulations to all those who celebrated.

We are feeling quite low today as our September Rotterdam cruise was cancelled yesterday 😭.  HAL have offered to transfer the booking to October 2022, but I really don't think that we want to go to the Baltic area in early winter. 🥶  We may still end up taking the Eurodam TA that was offered as a replacement for our cancelled Volendam TA.  It clashes with school half term here, but a cruise is a cruise is a cruise.

@rafinmd  Roy, I agree with that common law fact.   I am still arguing that the new millennium did not start until January 1st 2001 and not 2000 as was widely celebrated.  I also have a birthday tomorrow and Spanish all over the world will celebrate for both of us as it is "noche de San Juan".

Tomorrow we are going to Killarney for a couple of nights.  It will be our first trip away in 15 months and we are really looking forward to it.

Stay safe everyone.

Have fun in Killarney. I love that town..... Happy Birthday as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Good evening to everyone!

I have been lazing on our deck all day long. Today was one of those perfect summer days-sunny, 77 degrees, light breeze. Add in a strawberry margarita-heaven.

Loved the combo of days. We should not only celebrate, but preserve our rainforests, they are essential to the earth. My only personal walk in a rainforest was in the Tongass in Alaska-a temperate rainforest. HVAC workers are absolute saints when your AC or heat goes out. I like onion rings occasionally, usually eat them out when I have them.

Love the quote, I am a walk the walk rather than talk the talk kind of person.

Haven’t been to today’s destination.

Peeling myself off my longe chair to get ready to go out to dinner, I think our favorite, India Clay Oven, is our destination.

Prayers for those who need healing (an acquaintance with ALS (she lost her husband recently) passed this week 🙏. And a toast 🍷 to those celebrating, especially all the birthday people!

Take care!

St Louis Sal

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Hello all , I am late to the party once again and was surprised there were no pictures  yet of New Caledonia today . 

We were in Noumea , New Caledonia on a transition cruise from Auckland to Vancouver in April of 2013 on the Oosterdam and we had formed a nice small group tour with a local guide.

579619931_NZAU2013749.thumb.jpg.ba83b06974773089e93e4584640ac1c8.jpg

We made a few stops in the town and than went to a large park and a had some nice refreshing coconuts at the guides home .

1386852410_NZAU2013758.thumb.jpg.b018f9f011d32ed0cfa6f10cf2394549.jpg

530455975_NZAU2013755.thumb.jpg.ec0f796b1ee25f737487f914557603db.jpg

1494387693_NZAU2013745.thumb.jpg.a05acacb467b53588d19d0eca140a1d1.jpg

2140826089_NZAU2013146.thumb.jpg.1524714a66860c38b651ddd5dc729951.jpg

416132172_NZAU20131452.thumb.jpg.aa80dcdbf2f5056ed58e788149d1f9d9.jpg

1338295602_NZAU2013763.thumb.jpg.24bac81826f0226beb67c0f612fedd1c.jpg

215840635_NZAU2013762.thumb.jpg.355d873aa8950204aafee708d2d0176f.jpg

1503044372_NZAU20137562.thumb.jpg.c65ef1017d5f821bb28129f962b4e7a0.jpg

899339105_NZAU2013754.thumb.jpg.a43b8244b89777954d378998a7fffda8.jpg

Don't know why Martha was frowning , it was a nice little treat on a warm day .

1421686557_NZAU2013765.thumb.jpg.63072857cbef3c20ffeb1870910c995a.jpg

Very nice day was had by all and it was also really nice to learn about a different culture on these French South Pacific Islands. New Caledonian soils contain about 25 % of the worlds nickel . 

Next stop Suva, Fiji 

Tony 😄
Edited by sailingdutchy
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

You never know what Fitbit will do.  When we first got ours, went did a run out in the desert in our Polaris RZRs.  When we got back to the house, I had "walked" 10,000+ steps while sitting in the RZRs.

I get a 200 - 300 each morning drying my hair.  It’s a motivational start.  🙃

• Like 8
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I will give you more  to add to it.  When we were travelling over bogs (which makes the roads very bouncy), our travelling companion had a Fitbit and it said he had climbed more than 30,000 stairs.  We would just sit there and laugh as we saw it climb.

Another time I booked a HAL private mini bus (don’t get me started).  It definitely needed new struts and someone else’s fit bit did the same thing - not the same amount of stairs but significant.  It was a good giggle as we travelled.

We had all climbed gazillion stairs without moving a muscle 😉

• Like 8
  • Haha 3