Upcoming Carnival Roll Calls seem quiet

KKB

Looks like our NCL Nov. cruise is cancelled...

Have a Carnival credit so thought we would look into a fall cruise with them.

The Horizon has an itinerary we are very interested in.

But I'm stunned how VERY quiet the Roll Calls are--some with under 10 replies.

We are sailing Celebrity Edge next month & it has been quite active; even that NCL Nov. cruise Roll Call was fairly active.

Thoughts as to why Carnivals seem quieter? Is it their vaccination policy that isn't as stringent at RCCL or Celebrity?

I was first thinking it was simply that Celebrity is already sailing...but NCL bonked that theory...

Edited by KKB
  • Thanks 1

Well, TBH interest in participating in Roll Call threads has waned with me - even though I like hanging out here at CC online, I have no real interest in doing any Meet and Greets, etc, and there is usually very little to see of interest in the roll calls that isn't already discussed in general in this main Carnival forum for ships or onboard activities, or at the Ports of Call areas for the port-specific stuff.

I also prefer to keep my specific plans a little more vague for general public consumption, even if posting under a pseudonym.

So I will read through my roll-calls (if available), but usually don't post anything.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

So for giggles I went to go look for a roll call for an upcoming cruise.  With all the re-arranged cruises, it wasn't there, unsurprisingly.

And for that particular ship, there were a bunch of roll calls for now-cancelled past cruises just idling there, like ghost ships, abandoned but not deleted.  So it is a little depressing to wander through the graveyard of broken roll calls.

I think right now people are just waiting for cruising to actually start up again before getting too wound up in a roll-call for a cruise that might get cancelled.

• Like 2

My Roll Call is also dead. What is there to talk about really though. No one can realistically plan as none of us knows what cruising is going to be like when it fully returns. I have also been a part of two roll calls for cancelled cruises now and it is hard to get excited about a "maybe we will cruise". 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I haven't even looked.  I have had three cruises cancelled.  My cruise is in August and there have been so many ups and downs that I haven't even booked my pre-cruise hotel.  My tickets are on SW, so I can change those.  It was just hard to get excited when I had three other cruises cancelled.  After awhile, you just get kind of numb to it and just accept that it's possible the next one will be canceled too.

Once cruising starts again this summer, people will feel more confident with making plans.  I am excited about my cruise, but there are still so many unknowns about the protocols at the ports that I haven't even booked any excursions.

• Like 2

Mine for 7/24 (Breeze) has only two other people 30 days out.  Very hard to let myself get excited after 7 cancelled.  Also, there are no slot pulls, tournaments and most likely no meet and greets allowed.  Not much reason to have a roll call really. Hard to plan private excursions or anything really.  Just going to be ecstatic if it actually sails and go from there!

• Like 1

I am posting a little on our Horizon 7/10 roll call but you guys have it right.  I won't get too excited until I see the Horizon sail on July 4th.  Then I will likely be so excited I won't get much work done that week.  LOL 

• Like 2

Just now, Mary229 said:

I think people don’t want to invest too much time planning. Once cruising really starts up people will become more active.   

I think you're onto something Mary. After so many cancellations/rebooking's,  people are just plain gun shy about getting to excited. Until cruise start up on a consistent basis.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

I think you're onto something Mary. After so many cancellations/rebooking's,  people are just plain gun shy about getting to excited. Until cruise start up on a consistent basis.

We had someone on my roll call trying to organize shore excursions, usually the excursions would fill in minutes, he has had no takers.  I agree that roll calls aren’t as useful or as much fun for short cruises.  I only sign up when the cruise is more than 2 weeks. 

• Like 1

I usually make an appearance on the roll calls, but have not looked yet.  In the before times, by this point for a cruise three months out, I would have plans and secondary plans and alternative plans made.  Right now I can't even book the shuttle from MIA to PortMiami, because I can't fill in a TBD, because I don't know whether or not my cruise buddy, who will not be vaccinated, will even be allowed to cruise.  There's even a very good chance my September cruise might still be cancelled.

Edited by naxer
  • Like 1

I wish they were more active, but I understand. My sailing isn't until Oct. 2 on the Mardi Gras ... but I expect that as we get first looks and first reports live from the ship, things might get hoppin'. Especially as people get more confident that THIS TIME their sailing will finally make.

I do hope they get active sooner rather than later, because it's been a minute since I've been to some of these ports and other than Cozumel where I do the same excursion every time, I would really appreciate input or ideas. But I can be patient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lazydayz said:

I am posting a little on our Horizon 7/10 roll call but you guys have it right.  I won't get too excited until I see the Horizon sail on July 4th.  Then I will likely be so excited I won't get much work done that week.  LOL 

Horizon 9/12 and also very quite

I really think a lot of people are just waiting to see how this first several months (or year) play out before booking anything at this point.   I know I am. 

If they are booked they probably don't want to get too invested in things until they know for sure the cruise will actually take place. I am a bit more optimistic about our November sailing to Bermuda but it is the first sailing for Legend since this whole thing started so who knows.

Roll calls have been dying here on cruise critic for a while.  Most activity has migrated to another site.  Our pseudo "roll-call" there is actually pretty active with multiple people joining each day.

9 minutes ago, cmukid87 said:

Most activity has migrated to another site. 

I don't quite grok why that other site is popular (assuming you are talking about Zuckerberg's college project) - you use your real name (or at least you are supposed to), and is is fairly easy to then get more info about you, which is not really what you want when discussing where and when you are cruising (and therefore possibly leaving your home unattended).  Isn't that the primary reason this site (CC) asks you to not use your real name and not discuss too many personal details?

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
grammar
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I don't quite grok why that other site is popular (assuming you are talking about Zuckerberg's college project) - you use your real name (or at least you are supposed to), and is is fairly easy to then get more info about you, which is not really what you want when discussing where and when you are cruising (and therefore possibly leaving your home unattended).  Isn't that the primary reason this site (CC) asks you to not use your real name and not discuss too much in person details?

There are ways to protect your information still.  I'm not worried about my home.  I have cameras, security systems, neighbors and house sitters for all of that. 

If I were to poll the passengers on a cruise ship who's heard of or is a member of CC vs the other it would be pretty clear why there is no activity on the roll calls here.  

I segment CC into cruise info, questions, feedback, etc. with the other being the social aspect (obviously).  

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 11:04 AM, KKB said:

Looks like our NCL Nov. cruise is cancelled...

Have a Carnival credit so thought we would look into a fall cruise with them.

The Horizon has an itinerary we are very interested in.

But I'm stunned how VERY quiet the Roll Calls are--some with under 10 replies.

We are sailing Celebrity Edge next month & it has been quite active; even that NCL Nov. cruise Roll Call was fairly active.

Thoughts as to why Carnivals seem quieter? Is it their vaccination policy that isn't as stringent at RCCL or Celebrity?

I was first thinking it was simply that Celebrity is already sailing...but NCL bonked that theory...

Everyone is doing it on Zuckerberg's platform. 😉

• Like 1