Being a Gentleman....

kjwinston2019

57 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Question…… I thought your butler cannot deliver drinks to your suite( in Celebrity Suite) .. what’s the answer? Thanks

sheila

I really do not know the answer. I was being facetious about what a trophy wife expects. Just adding some humor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrulyBlonde said:

I really do not know the answer. I was being facetious about what a trophy wife expects. Just adding some humor.

Which you did, “trophy wife” is a pretty a disrespectful description of one’s wife.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Oville said:

Which you did, “trophy wife” is a pretty a disrespectful description of one’s wife.

But perhaps it is a personal term of endearment between the two of them.

I’ve noticed more than a few times that humor doesn’t seem to carry too well in forums, even on threads that are obviously on the light side. And it’s sad a forum about vacations and enjoying the lighter side of life gets edgy. But of course these threads are extremely erudite…….took me awhile to figure out how to spell that word and even though it probably doesn’t fit,I just had to slide it in! 

My view is using the phrase ‘trophy wife’ isn’t an insult to the woman, it’s a putdown of the Geezer who knows she married him for money and he’s the fool. That’s why us geezers use it to joke about ourselves. Now that I’ve explained  the joke…..

den 

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Oville said:

I’m sure it is but by definition it’s a not a great phrase.

Totally understand your point of view!  Me and my husband, who is Chinese (why I reference this will become clear).   We were both born, different years, but of the same lunar animal, the second most sacred in Chinese culture, which is how we very enduringly refer to one another.  I’d not say what that is here, because it may unintentionally offend some, but it means something to us.  I get your point though and I also do not feel the gentleman who said it meant any intentional offense.

Edited by LGW59

5 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Question…… I thought your butler cannot deliver drinks to your suite( in Celebrity Suite) .. what’s the answer? Thanks

sheila

In upper level suites - the ones that come with 2 bottles of booze and free mini-bar - the butler will deliver drinks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cdresser said:

In upper level suites - the ones that come with 2 bottles of booze and free mini-bar - the butler will deliver drinks. 

Really? We have a penthouse booked and was wondering about this. Like could we have the butler bring us some frozen margaritas to enjoy on the balcony? Or a couple glasses of champagne for when we sail out of a port?

I really didn’t think they would do this. They aren’t a bar runner. 

9 hours ago, LGW59 said:

But perhaps it is a personal term of endearment between the two of them.

Actually, I thought the same and my comment to the gentleman was in jest. Now, I need to google what you and your DH call each other 😉

• Haha 1

My husband and I joke that I am his “trophy wife”… we have lots of fun with it!

Everyone on my side of the family looks young- it’s in our genes. Because I look young, as we grow older together I look younger than him even though we are one year apart in age.

So my husband is quite proud of his “trophy wife”!  

I love that the original poster thinks about getting his lovely lady special drinks! Romantic

• Like 5

When we were on the Infinity in December, we were in a royal suite and became friends a couple in the penthouse suite. They invited us to have cocktails and watch the sailaway with them on their balcony. We expected to BYOB our cocktails from one of the ship bars but our butler (who was also assigned to them) asked us what we would like to have and made sure it was delivered to the PS at the appropriate time along with the cheese, fruit, and shrimp the other couple requested. We haven't had single glasses of champagne but we have had bottles of bubbly (not the expensive stuff) delivered to our room by the butler when we requested it. We expected to be charged for the bubbly but on three cruises in upper level suites on 2 different ships we never saw it on our bill. That same cruise we brought our own bubbly to dinner one night and were not charged corkage.

Although it is not alcoholic, we also had our butler deliver detox smoothies to our room every morning. Our butler on the Edge told us about them and on day 3 we tried them and couldn't believe how great they worked - and tasted. While never really hungover, all that rich food and alcohol takes a toll on me - and my ankles. One smoothie and a couple hours later, my feet and body were back in their pre-cruise condition.

In addition to drink delivery,  we have entertained guests in our suite many times. When we were in the Edge villa, we had guests every day. (We met a lot of great people, everyone is curious about the villas, and we enjoyed the socializing.) We informed our butler of our plans a few hours prior and he set out the bubbly and snacks. We didn't expect it, but every day he "upped his game". The first day was a cheese plate, the second day was cheese and fruit, etc. We kept our gatherings to one other couple until the last day when we had a party with all our buddies from the smoking area - about 14 people. For that event, our butler decorated the table and laid out a full spread.

Technically, the butlers are not required to do any of the things I've mentioned here. My experience has been that Celebrity will go a long way to keep their upper level suite guests happy. I should also say that we make sure to reward extra service from anyone on the ship with a tip on the last night and a mention by name in the Celebrity post-cruise survey.

• Like 2

I don't think it includes Celebrity Suites because they do not come with the 2 bottles of booze, free specialty dining, etc. However, I do know some people have had butlers in SS and CS who will go the extra mile. You can always ask even if the expected answer is "no".

5 hours ago, TrulyBlonde said:

Actually, I thought the same and my comment to the gentleman was in jest. Now, I need to google what you and your DH call each other 😉

Love it!!!  When we meet for us all to have my generously provided AI libations, we will tell you.  Until then, Google is your friend!  BTW, I really would enjoy meeting you, you seem fun and have a great sense of humor!

22 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Love it!!!  When we meet for us all to have my generously provided AI libations, we will tell you.  Until then, Google is your friend!  BTW, I really would enjoy meeting you, you seem fun and have a great sense of humor!

Ditto....

I must say that some of those Trophy wives also have Economics degrees. They can be some of the smartest women you will ever meet. 😉

Edited by TrulyBlonde
additions
  • Like 2

On 6/23/2021 at 7:22 PM, Kevinwinston2019 said:

Thank you all for this. You made my day! Now i can get those Bloody Mary's in the morning. AHHHhhhhh! 

My only issue was one morning when I waited for Cafe al Bacio to open and then ordered two regular coffee to take back to our stateroom. The attendant did ask for two cards, but I had brought just my card. I told him I would take my cup of coffee to the stateroom and then come back for the second one, "In a few minutes". He had me sit at a table for about two minutes and then put the second up on my card, saving me the trip back and forth. The next morning I asked our butler to bring two cups to our stateroom. No hassle and no cards needed.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:57 PM, Kevinwinston2019 said:

under stand...we usually get that package....love a butler

cruises 1.jpg

Well now, mate, you look a bit like yourself in that photo. Does it get better with Chivas?

6 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Love all your responses….question is …does it include Celebrity Suite?
sheila

We had a butler for a Celebrity Suite and he noticed our favorites and immediately started keeping our fridge stocked with Diet Coke, Evian, and Guinness, as well as large Evian bottles on top.  That's not normally included in a CS.  I never asked him to bring a drink, but I'm going to try that in our next CS in February.  I love a glass of wine while getting ready for dinner!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachlover1989 said:

We had a butler for a Celebrity Suite and he noticed our favorites and immediately started keeping our fridge stocked with Diet Coke, Evian, and Guinness, as well as large Evian bottles on top.  That's not normally included in a CS.  I never asked him to bring a drink, but I'm going to try that in our next CS in February.  I love a glass of wine while getting ready for dinner!

It's been my experience that if the butler staff is at maximum and passengers aren't really demanding they team together to cover one another and make whatever (within reason) their 'family' wants to happen. We only had one butler who didn't seem to care and he disembarked when we did. I really think he was done and needed a sabbatical.

I also noticed that in a Royal Suite when we finished a bottle of wine it was replaced with a new bottle. I asked for a really good scotch once and our butler brought a bottle. There was more than half left and I asked him if the crew may like to share it. He smiled and said, "I will remove this".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1