Thoughts on Carnival Magic?

nanners

Hey y'all!

Can I get your thoughts/opinions on the Magic?  I've read some reviews that aren't great.  Other ships seem to be pretty positive.

Also, I read one article that says the Magic is in dry dock until September.  Does anyone know if that is accurate?

I haven't sailed Carnival before, so I don't know what to expect.  I keep trying to test Carnival out, but the cruises I book get canceled!  Looking at the Magic for next year.  I should be safe then, fingers crossed! 

Thanks for any help!

• Like 1

I'd say what you heard about Magic being in dry dock until September is wrong, seeing as how she's cruising out of Port Canaveral beginning on August 7th.

I've never been on Magic before (we're scheduled for a September cruise on her), but have been on the Dream which is pretty much the same and loved it.  One of the things I liked was the outdoor theatre (with free popcorn).  It was just so relaxing (after a rough day of relaxing) to sit out in the open air watching a movie.

• Like 3

I sailed on her inaugural sailing season and she was beautiful. This was the first ship with Ocean Plaza, many of the fun ship 2.0 upgrades and the wrap around promenade deck. It’s been over 10 years, but I remember a few things we loved most:

- Cove balconies, it’s the only time I’ve cruised in a close balcony but I absolutely loved it! We’ve since discovered that we’re aft people, but a cover balcony comes a close second.

- The atrium, this ship has a beautiful atrium that still gives the wow factor that’s lost on some of the newer ships.

- The entertainment, I’m not sure if they still do it, but the namesake didn’t disappoint and there was a spectacular main theatre magic show onboard, as well as “traveling” magicians that would come by and do close up magic at dinner and in the bars.

I think given her refresh, she won’t disappoint you!

• Like 3

I like the Magic and have sailed on this ship twice.  It's part of the Dream class, which is my favorite.  This class offers a good variety of things to do, while not being so huge that there are extremely long lines for things.  The layout of the ship is nice and so is the main theater.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

Did you read all the cruise critic reviews on the ship? 

You mean you want us to navigate a few pages here and read? Ugh, exhausting. 

I have read a few pages of the reviews and we booked Carnival Magic for 8 days. We

aren't afraid 😉 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We were on her in 2019.

Had a blast. Loved her.

Booked a 9 day from New York on her next summer.

Looking forward to it.

We went on the Sunrise in 2019 also when she was getting trashed.

We loved her too!

Don't listen to others!

If you can't have fun on a cruise, then you don't belong cruising.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I like the Magic and have sailed on this ship twice.  It's part of the Dream class, which is my favorite.  This class offers a good variety of things to do, while not being so huge that there are extremely long lines for things.  The layout of the ship is nice and so is the main theater.

I agree with TNcruising02, I have sailed twice on her, and will be on her again Aug 7th. I love the Dream class, big, but never felt crowded, and many things to do, and places to eat and drink.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about the reviews, but the Magic and the Breeze are our two favorite ships thus far.  We are platinum with Carnival and have been on several ships.   We've been on the Magic twice and our second cruise on the Breeze was cancelled last year.

I have sailed on the Magic twice and booked again for August 21st this year.  It depends of course on your criteria, but for me its a good fit. I like mid-size ships and this one has a good layout that is easy to navigate.  Good selection of bars and eateries.  Lots of toys and sports if you’re into that, including 2 slides, a ropes course and a putt putt course.  

The downside to me is that the main pool area on the Lido seems smaller than average.  It could be that my last cruise was on July 4th and it was a huge crazy party on deck with line dancing, fireworks, etc.  Luckily there is another pool aft and an adults-only section with hammocks, clam shells, etc.  

You should read all the reviews here based on your own criteria, but I think you’ll be happy with the Magic. 

• Like 1

I take a lot of reviews with a grain of salt. People will complain about the most minute things. They look at the leaf on the ground while ignoring the tree and forest. One person complained that there was rust on a screw from the balcony railing. I guess they forgot 3rd grade science where salt and water corrode steal. Others complain that there is a salty air smell while sitting on their cove balcony. 

Magic was to be our 3rd cruise, but is now our first. I am not taking any preconceived notions into it. Yes, it is not the Mardi Gras nor Harmony of the Seas. Comparing it to those would never be fair. This ship has more than enough to do and we should be very well entertained on our 8-night cruise. All I really need to be entertained is some relaxing time, places to explore, places to have a drink, good food, and music.

• Like 4

We were on Magic right before the covid shutdown. Got off her and immediately booked her for March 2020, which of course was cancelled.  Booked her again, and all of a sudden she was moved from Port Everglades and replaced with Freedom - same Dream class, which we prefer.  Don't have one bad thing to say about her.  At that time she had a great crew, and there was plenty to do onboard.  I would not hesitate to book her again.

11 hours ago, nanners said:

Thanks for your opinions.  I did read the CC reviews. I know not to take the negative reviews to heart, but I kind of like to double check.🙂

There's negative reviews of everything, mostly because folks have unrealistic expectations. 

She's probably our favorite Carnival ship sailed to date.  The Dream class (of which she's one of three) is perhaps Carnival's best to date.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, leela8 said:

So the only person who responded has not been on Magic before, lol.

I am sailing her next year and would also like to hear feedback on the Magic.

That poster did note they had been on the Dream (same class, the Dream class), and Carnival does really do a pretty good job of making all the ships in a class 98% functionally/layout identical.  Really it is just the decor that changes.

I'm booked on the Magic in Sept, and since I have been on the Breeze (again, Dream class) I know what to expect.  That class of ship is great: has a nice layout, has all of the amenities I like (Alchemy, Red Frog Pub, cornhole right outside the Pub, etc).

Serenity might be the only compromise, IMHO: it doesn't have a pool, just hot tubs, and just didn't seem big enough.  It seems to be identical on both Breeze and Magic.

• Like 1

The Magic is very similar to er two sisters, the one lacking in a couple of items is the the first, the Dream.  Great class of ships.  We have sailed Magic 3 times and love her.  One of her best features is deck5 wher you can circumnavigate the entire ship.  The overhang of this area, which some pan, we found to be a non issue.  Op, sail her you will not be disappointed. 

9 minutes ago, nanners said:

Thanks everybody! 

You've made me feel much better.  I did book for November 2022.  Looking forward to it, thanks to y'all.

Enjoy the cruise, let us know your thoughts when you return.