Carnival Details Their E-Muster

sunonfire

2 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

For safety alone having a smartphone in retirement is important.

Saved my mom's friend's life when she fell in her home. 

I think of it as a small mobile computer, that also happens to be a phone.
That way I can handle it, but I need to wear my glasses, dammit.

I've learned to turn it sideways/horizontal

so it looks and feels a lot more like my 24 in. monitor screen

on this desktop --

that way, the keys on the keyboard stretch considerably

and make Finger Fumbling a lot less likely!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

Don't laugh but ..I finally caved in and spent $350

on a new Samsung A-31 smart phone

that thinks it's smarter than I am, and it might be right.

I reckon these things

are almost essential to modern travel abroad.

I got adventurous and installed the Carnival Hub app -

so I am ready! ...I think.

How well does the Carnival hub app work? If you read the Princess boards, you will find many, many posts that the Princess Medallion app is terrible, does not work well, or often at all.

Am I the only one.  I have a smart phone.  But I'm on vacay.  The phone is off.  I want to enjoy where I am,  and who I'm with.  My husband is on call all the time,  so I won't let him bring his phone.  The first 2 days he misses his phone.  But then he relaxes.What could be better on your phone then where you are?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Love being Mimi said:

Am I the only one.  I have a smart phone.  But I'm on vacay.  The phone is off.  I want to enjoy where I am,  and who I'm with.  My husband is on call all the time,  so I won't let him bring his phone.  The first 2 days he misses his phone.  But then he relaxes.What could be better on your phone then where you are?

No disagreement there, but...a lot of what happens on a ship now is through the cruise app. I can guarantee that I will be in airplane mode the whole time. The only reason for the phone may be a quick picture if I don't have my cameras, check what time activities are, and to know where my daughter is as she avoids us as if we were a flesh eating plague.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

For safety alone having a smartphone in retirement is important. Saved my mom's friend's life when she fell in her home.

Excellent point....but in full disclosure, I have an android  that I just upgraded to a few months back.  My flip phone finally wore out and I couldn't find a new one!

I'm sure when the android wears out, I'll have to buy the IPhone.......or maybe one of my grand kids will give me one of their old ones!

6 minutes ago, Beave8920 said:

Excellent point....but in full disclosure, I have an android  that I just upgraded to a few months back.  My flip phone finally wore out and I couldn't find a new one!

I'm sure when the android wears out, I'll have to buy the IPhone.......or maybe one of my grand kids will give me one of their old ones!

I said smartphone for a reason. Personal opinion only, I would never touch an "i" product ever. My wife and daughter have one. When they have a problem, I tell them not to come to me. I will not touch one. My open source, unlocked Android phone is so much easier to use and I don't have to sign that crazy agreement on the lease of an iPhone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI:  if you don’t have a smartphone, you can use a WiFi enabled tablet. I usually bring both. I use my tablet for daily planning because it has a much larger screen. When I am walking around I carry my phone.to quickly check on things and because it is easier to carry.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, stellarose said:

sure you can use an android. I don't have an iphone

if its on the hub app- yeah

I think Beave was referring to smart phones in general, not specifically the iphonel

• Like 2

11 hours ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Y O U   W I L L   B E   A S S I M I L A T E D

Picturing a Borg cube with a Carnival funnel on top.

---------------

Was it just me, or did the linked article need a bit of editing? !

Tom

• Haha 1

My phone is in airplane mode with wifi enabled so I can use the HUB app while cruising, and it is my "everyday camera" for shipboard activities.  (We also bring semi-pro DSLRs usually, and a GoPro, because we love documenting our trip for our own amusement later on.  Which was a nice thing to do when we were in the depths of the pandemic and lockdowns.)

Since my wife and I are essentially never separated while we cruise (except when I go to get her coffee in the morning!), we don't even need the Chat function.

We don't do social media or make calls while cruising.  The world can wait until we get back.

As for those folks that still don't own a Smart Phone:  good for you, but even my Mom is thinking about ditching her "emergency use flip phone" for a smart phone.

• Like 2

I'm wondering if in order to confirm you watched the safety video they'll have you either do something on the TV or call a number or something. When I take CPE (continuing professional education for my CPA license) online, there will be a series questions that I have to respond to. In order to get credit for the course, I have to answer all of the questions and within a certain timeframe of them being posted. They pop up sporadically throughout the class. Hopefully, I'll find out September 11 on the Mardi Gras!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Love being Mimi said:

We always use our phone on the cruise. We keep it in airplane mode so we don't get calls or texts. But we love the hub app and we also use it to FaceTime with our grands.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Well, I always make the reference

that if Apple sent a text out to every iPhone to jump off a cliff,

50% would..... because Apple said so.

Now that's brand loyalty -to die for!

Not to get off topic of cell phones but...I am surprised that they are not showing the video in the waiting room prior to boarding.  We are all sitting there twiddling out thumbs.  After check-in, they can have you sit in a room, watch it, then scan your card.  That way people have no choice but to pay attention instead of letting it play while unpacking or playing on their phone.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2021 at 10:20 AM, Love being Mimi said:

I don’t buy this argument. do you literally not bring your phone with you? Not sure how you get to port but even if it was ‘off’ the whole cruise, I would still have it on on the way for directions/traffic updates/airplane tickets/etc. The e-muster happens before the ship leaves port. You can leave your phones on for an extra hour to do that without sacrificing your no phone rules.

As far as no smart phone people. I’ve never met someone who tried a smart phone and didn’t like it. I’ve only met people who haven’t tried it. If that’s your preference, whatever. But there’s a reason they blew up so fast. Much easier to communicate with people than a traditional phone; can have it on you at all times for safety; real time traffic and weather alerts; can hold onto all of the electronic tickets that everyone issues these days; etc etc. I’ve also found irreplaceable for travel. I went to Japan a few years ago; used it for directions, maps, trains schedules, translations…. Good luck trying to look up a character symbol in a travel dictionary!

• Like 1

This is amazing news. This is almost exactly the process I have been asking for years lol. The old process was absolutely awful. Annoyance aside, little to no one had any clue what was actually going on. Too much noise. The most important thing is just knowing where to go. Having actual legible directions on your TV and/or smartphone will allow at least some people to know what is being said.

42 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t buy this argument. do you literally not bring your phone with you? Not sure how you get to port but even if it was ‘off’ the whole cruise, I would still have it on on the way for directions/traffic updates/airplane tickets/etc. The e-muster happens before the ship leaves port. You can leave your phones on for an extra hour to do that without sacrificing your no phone rules.

As far as no smart phone people. I’ve never met someone who tried a smart phone and didn’t like it. I’ve only met people who haven’t tried it. If that’s your preference, whatever. But there’s a reason they blew up so fast. Much easier to communicate with people than a traditional phone; can have it on you at all times for safety; real time traffic and weather alerts; can hold onto all of the electronic tickets that everyone issues these days; etc etc. I’ve also found irreplaceable for travel. I went to Japan a few years ago; used it for directions, maps, trains schedules, translations…. Good luck trying to look up a character symbol in a travel dictionary!

We still have our tickets printed at the airline counter. We know ahead of time know where are going and print maps for the inlaws. The inlaws are in there 70s and will not get a smartphone. They would have no clue how to use itDH leaves his phone at home while we are on vacation and mine is in my purse turned off and only turned on in an emergency.   So yes we are those people who do not use our phones on vacation and there are people who will not have a smart phone.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I have my phone.  But when I get on the ship, my phone goes in the safe. 

• Like 2