Ocean Medallion App - Part 3

margord

1 hour ago, BabySarge said:

Apologizing in advance for not reading thru the previous 23 pages of this thread or the numerous pages on the other thread(s) on this topic and also if this question has been asked but is there one central place I can go to that has a User Guide for the Medallion App or is there a Medallion App For Dummies out there somewhere I can download?  

We aren't booked to cruise until 1/2022 but it seems inevitable that we are going to have to have and use the Medallion App and whilst I have downloaded it to my phone I freely admit I find it a tad confusing and mostly intimidating at this point and would just like to have something I could read that explains the damn thing and talks me through the steps of what needs doing with it.

Thanks

Princess could use a good technical writer to create a user guide.  

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, clueless2 said:

They could use a good project manager as well. 🙂

And a good test group to ensure that they don't release as horribly buggy a product as this.

And most importantly, a good Chief Technical Officer who understands that you don't abandon a sizeable portion of your user base and leave your company without a working backup to a new product that may or may not meet the actual business needs; and has the courage to insist on doing things right despite the beancounters' desire to save money. 

• Like 3

Anyone else still getting the white screen of death in the health section of the APP?  I'm not sure how I'm suppose to update it 24hr in advance if I can't access it.  It worked a couple weeks ago and hasn't worked since.  I've done the whole deleting of the app, re-loading it, calling the 1-800 number, reported it, etc but it still doesn't work.  

9 minutes ago, Esjung1 said:

Anyone else still getting the white screen of death in the health section of the APP?  I'm not sure how I'm suppose to update it 24hr in advance if I can't access it.  It worked a couple weeks ago and hasn't worked since.  I've done the whole deleting of the app, re-loading it, calling the 1-800 number, reported it, etc but it still doesn't work.  

This is the address that got my issues corrected: A360ad7@carnival.com

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, barrykel said:

And a good test group to ensure that they don't release as horribly buggy a product as this.

And most importantly, a good Chief Technical Officer who understands that you don't abandon a sizeable portion of your user base and leave your company without a working backup to a new product that may or may not meet the actual business needs; and has the courage to insist on doing things right despite the beancounters' desire to save money. 

Unfortunately those good CTO's that speak up are EX CTO's. 🙁

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Princess could use a good technical writer to create a user guide.  

Apply for the job. You seem to be one of the few that understands the app and has actually cruised and understands passenger requirements.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Esjung1 said:

I found this on a thread on CC and it worked for me. I was able to get into the green line status immediately after downloading my photo and filling in the required info. Try this out to see if it helps you.

Use the newest phone/tablet you have in the house (e.g. old iPhone 6 and 7s are known to have issues w/ this app).

-- Update your phone/device's latest firmware.

-- Ensure you have the latest update to Medallion Class installed from the Play/Apple Store.

-- Open the Medallion app and just "Sign Out."

-- Now do a restart of your phone/device.

-- Upon restart, open the app but do NOT use your previous username/pw combo.  Instead login by using your cruise confirmation number and a cruiser's birthday.  (Try to use the birthday of a person who was not the primary accountholder you had previously used.)

-- Go to "Travel Checklist"

-- Scroll to the bottom and touch "Next Step" (i.e. avoid clicking specific circles to fill in missing info).

-- Fill in any missing info/docs for pages the app presents.

-- Pray.

Edited by gmcwalker

Princess may have tested the Medallion Class App at the headquarters under ideal conditions.  I don't believe they tested it on all their ships deployed in various parts of the world.  I wonder if any of the employees tested the app at their homes via remote working.  If they did; they may have seen it wasn't working properly.  

29 minutes ago, gmcwalker said:

I found this on a thread on CC and it worked for me. I was able to get into the green line status immediately after downloading my photo and filling in the required info. Try this out to see if it helps you.

Use the newest phone/tablet you have in the house (e.g. old iPhone 6 and 7s are known to have issues w/ this app).

-- Update your phone/device's latest firmware.

-- Ensure you have the latest update to Medallion Class installed from the Play/Apple Store.

-- Open the Medallion app and just "Sign Out."

-- Now do a restart of your phone/device.

-- Upon restart, open the app but do NOT use your previous username/pw combo.  Instead login by using your cruise confirmation number and a cruiser's birthday.  (Try to use the birthday of a person who was not the primary accountholder you had previously used.)

-- Go to "Travel Checklist"

-- Scroll to the bottom and touch "Next Step" (i.e. avoid clicking specific circles to fill in missing info).

-- Fill in any missing info/docs for pages the app presents.

-- Pray.

Just the opposite here. It works on an iPhone 7 but not on a 12.  Go figure

59 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

I wonder if any of the employees tested the app at their homes via remote working.  If they did; they may have seen it wasn't working properly.  

That wouldn't have helped, unless they had created several test cruises and let hundreds of employees try and signup for them. Probably would have actually been easier to just upgrade the website to handle the new database schema needed for Medallion Class. Of course, that still would have cost some development $, and the beancounters would have fought against it. It appears they were successful - either that, or top management were sold a bill of goods by the (likely low bidder) company contracted to develop the app.

Edited by barrykel

I don't know, but I just don't understand why they cannot have the app and then a similar app within the website where you could do much of this on the webpage OR app and BOTH would communicate to the same database and push/pull user date from that common database. 

In this manner, you could input all your information for the app via your laptop or computer while on shore and then do the rest or updates via the app ship side. 

Can it really be that hard? Airlines do this all the time though it is not quite that simple, still it is not rocket science. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Slowriderhd said:

Can it really be that hard? Airlines do this all the time though it is not quite that simple, still it is not rocket science. 

Not just airlines, pretty much every company that has both a website and a smartphone app (i.e. pretty much every company in the world that does any eCommerce business). That would have been the smart thing to do, but it would have cost a few more $, so the beancounters would have fought it. As I've said, explaining the need for a backup strategy (and the danger of forcing a largely non-tech-savvy customer base out of their comfort zone) to top management would have been the job of the CTO - apparently whoever held that role for Princess (might have been a Carnival corporate position) failed at that job. 

Edited by barrykel

22 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Well a step backwards Personal Info does not show DW again. Hope this is just weekend  maintenance. There were other problems on PCL site. 

Yeah, looks like they just broke something pretty critical. Mine is the exact opposite - when I login with my eMail, it doesn't show my info at all, just DW's. 

40 minutes ago, barrykel said:

Yeah, looks like they just broke something pretty critical. Mine is the exact opposite - when I login with my eMail, it doesn't show my info at all, just DW's. 

Just called the support # (844-525-0942); she escalated it to the Tier 2 support group, and said they'll eMail me in a few days. 

2 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Well a step backwards Personal Info does not show DW again. Hope this is just weekend  maintenance. There were other problems on PCL site. 

We have a cancelled cruise that still shows under my login DW login shows replacement cruise. DW is missing a lot of items from Personal info for replacement cruise. 

19 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

We have a cancelled cruise that still shows under my login DW login shows replacement cruise. DW is missing a lot of items from Personal info for replacement cruise. 

Canceled cruise?? Please explain.

8 minutes ago, P.A. said:

Oh got cha. Thanks for clarifying. I hate that for you.

Princess said they didn’t have time after dry dock to finish getting ready for cruise. Hard to believe since they have known this for some time. 

3 hours ago, Tedferg said:

Looks like they sort of fixed it for me - I can now actually see my info, and while they lost a bunch of it I managed to reenter everything for me - only problem now is my picture showing up on DW's account, which should be easy to fix once she gets home. You may want to try again.