Layover time in Paris CDG

Rick&Jeannie

On 6/27/2021 at 5:01 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

Ok, just received my air info for an NCL cruise (air promo).

You get what you pay for.  Short connects that fit the contracts with the cruiselines.

In either case, you will be going through outbound immigration at either AMS or CDG.  At CDG, you will be switching terminal buildings from T2F to T2E.  At AMS, from the "Intra-Schengen" section of the terminal to the "Extra-Schengen".

Lace up your track shoes.

One hour is very tight (risky).  If you do miss your connection you might get caught-up in a substantial delay (and some hassles) while your later flight is rescheduled (this can get very complicated if it involves different airlines).  

Flyer Talker can speak to an issue near and dear to my heart called "MCT" or Minimum Connection Time.  This is a published standard (not always easily accessible to flyers) for each airline and airport that is supposed to govern connections.  If your flights (arranged by NCL) do not meet the MCT you should be able to get NCL to modify your flight schedule to comply with the MCT.  While most airlines will refuse to sell tickets that do not meet the MCT, stuff happens and the rules are often ignored or fall through the cracks (especially if using more then 1 airline for your trip).CDG

And I do agree with the other posts about using Amsterdam rather than CDG for connections.  CDG connections can be a real hassle when needing to change terminals.

Hank

• Like 1

Well, apparently I have no recourse in this matter.  Delta says they cannot make any changes because the reservation was made by NCL. NCL absolutely refuses to discuss any type of change even though the cruise/air is fully paid. So...we will have to break out our running shoes I suppose!

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Well, apparently I have no recourse in this matter.  Delta says they cannot make any changes because the reservation was made by NCL. NCL absolutely refuses to discuss any type of change even though the cruise/air is fully paid. So...we will have to break out our running shoes I suppose!

All of which is more evidence that cruiseline air is often buying a pig in a poke.  You don't know what you are getting and often are simply stuck.  But hey...you got a deal!!  Isn't the price everything?

Study the airport maps for CDG.  Follow the signs.  Be ready for document checks and security screenings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You need to find out if it’s a legal connection?  Are both legs booked on the same airline?  Will your luggage be checked through?  Will your flight be protected if you miss it?  Do you have a TA what can intervene?    NCL needs to clarify this situation for you.  Ask if there is a flight that allows a more reasonable amount of time to connect?    I’ve seen people absolutely frantic at Heathrow with more time than this in the same terminal.  

We have a managed ridiculously short times in Zurich with no problems but that’s a very different scenario.  

Edited by bennybear

I have resigned myself to the fact that it is what it is...there's no changing possible at this point.

For clarification in case anyone is interested:

This is a post-cruise connection from Athens on to Atlanta, all on Delta.  It is apparently a "legal" connection...when you make a mock booking it offers up the flights in question with no "warnings".  NCL made the reservation as part of their current air promo.  Yes, it's a good price...but I'm really not looking forward to transatlantic in economy seating.  Even if I had no qualms about the connection time, you cannot even do a seat upgrade.  No ifs ands or buts according to NCL.  Yes, there is a non-stop flight that totally bypasses CDG and goes straight to ATL.  "Take it or leave it...you can book your own air if you like...no refund on anything that's already been spent."

Such is the nature of bulk air seats!

30 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I have resigned myself to the fact that it is what it is...there's no changing possible at this point.

For clarification in case anyone is interested:

This is a post-cruise connection from Athens on to Atlanta, all on Delta.  It is apparently a "legal" connection...when you make a mock booking it offers up the flights in question with no "warnings".  NCL made the reservation as part of their current air promo.  Yes, it's a good price...but I'm really not looking forward to transatlantic in economy seating.  Even if I had no qualms about the connection time, you cannot even do a seat upgrade.  No ifs ands or buts according to NCL.  Yes, there is a non-stop flight that totally bypasses CDG and goes straight to ATL.  "Take it or leave it...you can book your own air if you like...no refund on anything that's already been spent."

Such is the nature of bulk air seats!

Just to clarify, Delta doesn't fly from Athens to CDG or AMS...it would be codeshared on a partner airline, hopefully. Probably Air France to CDG, KLM perhaps to AMS. The non-stop ATH-ATL is probably a DL flight.

One, I would  be livid if I only had one hour layover.  However, it is on the way back home....so if it is delayed, and you miss the flight, the airlines will rebook you, no fun, but at least you won't miss your vacation.  The only other thing to watch out for now...is sometimes, they won't give you all your boarding passes.  The last leg to USA, might require you to recheck in with your proper paperwork.  

I have transferred in CDG with a 1 hr 20 minute connection. I had to board a bus for the transfer between terminals, but I was able to make it in 40 minutes. I do know CDG airport pretty well and that helps. If you are not familiar with the airport you may have more problems as it is not the easiest to navigate. I was also flying business class so off the first flight quickly and that saved time. It will also depend on whether you can get the first bus transfer to make it easier.

i was flying to LAX so maybe it is different flying to Atlanta. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to start by checking if one or both of your flights is a code share and if so what carrier.  Also check the arrival and the departures terminal  if listed.  Or go to the CDG website.  It may indicate which airlines use what terminals.  Then bookmark the terminal page and take a close look at prior to your arrival.

Seems to me we cut it very tight on 1.5 hr layover when changing from from a Europe Aegean flight to a Transat NA flight.  Had to walk outside for a spell.  It was not well marked as I recall.

Good luck.  The upside is your are on the way home.  The worst that may happen is that you get to spend an extra day in Paris at the airlines expense if you are not re-routed.  How bad can that be?

• 3 months later...

In 2016 we were flying BCN-ORD with a 90 minute layover at LHR.  Well, the jetbridge was not working and we were unable to get off the flight, had to switch terminals and missed our connection.  Was not happy but British Airways put us up at the Holiday Inn Heathrow, gave us dinner and breakfast vouchers.  In addition, since we were more than 4 hours delayed we qualified for EU 261 flight delay compensation.  Filed when we returned home and received a $1200 check weeks later.  Went into the fund for our next cruise

14 minutes ago, yogini06 said:

In 2016 we were flying BCN-ORD with a 90 minute layover at LHR.  Well, the jetbridge was not working and we were unable to get off the flight, had to switch terminals and missed our connection.  Was not happy but British Airways put us up at the Holiday Inn Heathrow, gave us dinner and breakfast vouchers.  In addition, since we were more than 4 hours delayed we qualified for EU 261 flight delay compensation.  Filed when we returned home and received a $1200 check weeks later.  Went into the fund for our next cruise

Did the Heathrow jetbridges get moved to CDG as part of Brexit?

• Haha 2

Glad I found this thread.  I will be flying to Lisbon in March via Delta.......they have me stopping at Charles De Gaulle as well and  I have a 1 hour 15 minute layover.  From what I am reading most of you don't think that is enough time, is that correct?  This is booked through the cruise line..........I will be in Business Class. 

Coming home? Don't have a stop in Europe........flying from Rome directly to Atlanta to Jax. 

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Glad I found this thread.  I will be flying to Lisbon in March via Delta.......they have me stopping at Charles De Gaulle as well and  I have a 1 hour 15 minute layover.  From what I am reading most of you don't think that is enough time, is that correct?  This is booked through the cruise line..........I will be in Business Class. 

Coming home? Don't have a stop in Europe........flying from Rome directly to Atlanta to Jax. 

Business class helps because you'll be one of the first off the plane, and have access to priority lines. BUT, I would prefer longer for two reasons - comfort and lounge access. But I know there are only a few CDG-LIS flights most days, so you may have quite a bit of a wait depending on the date you're flying, so if it's a case of "let's risk it" versus "let's wait five extra hours", I would probably risk it personally...again, because you're in business class and the associated priorities you get. 

Thanks for the reply.  The strange thing is.........I just flew to Lisbon and didn't have to make a connection in Europe.......flew from home to Newark and then directly to Lisbon........that was on United.

Not sure what the airlines are doing (or not doing) but I wish I could have that same flight.......left Newark at 8:30pm........arriving in Lisbon next morning at 8:30am......

That flight is not even listed anymore........sigggghhhhh

If you risk the 1 hour 15 minute connection, make sure there is a later flight from CDG to Lisbon as a backup just in case. Personally I would not risk it on a flight coming in from the US. Not only is CDG a very huge and confusing airport but it is crowded and anything can happen to delay things. Be sure you get to know the layout of the airport so you can get to the gate quickly if you decide not to change.

i always fly business class and have gone through that airport at least 10 times in the last few years (not counting covid of course) so I  know it pretty well. Returning back to the US and transferring through CDC is easier since you dont have to go through customs so the 1 hr 15 minute time is more reasonable, but not when incoming.

Just my two cents.

3 minutes ago, ptrpanpens said:

If you risk the 1 hour 15 minute connection, make sure there is a later flight from CDG to Lisbon as a backup just in case. Personally I would not risk it on a flight coming in from the US. Not only is CDG a very huge and confusing airport but it is crowded and anything can happen to delay things. Be sure you get to know the layout of the airport so you can get to the gate quickly if you decide not to change.

i always fly business class and have gone through that airport at least 10 times in the last few years (not counting covid of course) so I  know it pretty well. Returning back to the US and transferring through CDC is easier since you dont have to go through customs so the 1 hr 15 minute time is more reasonable, but not when incoming.

Just my two cents.

I appreciate your thoughts.  I will contact my rep at the cruise line.....I am very fortunate she is a long time friend and has a direct contact in the air dept. 

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I appreciate your thoughts.  I will contact my rep at the cruise line.....I am very fortunate she is a long time friend and has a direct contact in the air dept. 

she should be able to get you a better connection. I would be too nervous only having that short time especially the way things are now. I will be flying to CDG myself in March but staying in Paris so luckily wont have to transfer this time. Good luck