Countdown......Fly Me to the Moon...........

Lois R

The heat is so intense a white hat with a large brim preferably with ties and ventilation at top.

Ties keep hat on in wind.

White reflects sun.

Large brim keeps sun off face and neck.

Also of material that washes and dries quickly.

Another thing that could be helpful is a snap cooling towel. They are great!!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lois R said:

Just a vaccination card. No covid test is needed.  You need to fill out the PLF that the Greek Government is asking for as well.  Did you ask me about this a couple of weeks ago? Or was that someone else?  Greece is not requiring a test if you have been vaccinated and all SS guests are required to be vaxxed so it is all good😃

Thanks Lois and yes I did .  But I got mixed responses from Air Canada which I am flying from Ft. Lauderdale.  Site says nothing but Vac Card but agent said I needed Covid test - so that is why I asked.  I called again and was told just the Vac Card and the Form.

The Moon is absolutely fantastic. The service is outstanding and the food is great. The Salt restaurant and bar are both great. 

The excursion yesterday in Cyprus was a very hot experience. The app on the phone worked well, but we were only eleven people, so we  could easily hear the guide anyway. 

Today is sea day and the sea is completely calm. What a wonderful cruise🚢

22F867AA-DBF4-444B-BFB9-D4007D3365D4.jpeg

• Like 9

3 hours ago, cinbeach said:

Thanks Lois and yes I did .  But I got mixed responses from Air Canada which I am flying from Ft. Lauderdale.  Site says nothing but Vac Card but agent said I needed Covid test - so that is why I asked.  I called again and was told just the Vac Card and the Form.

Lufthansa does not require a Covid test if you are vaccinated…but I am getting a PCR anyway 72 hours prior to departure as a precaution. Who routed you thru Canada? Your TA or Silversea?

10 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Recognizing that my recent purchase of an Iowa Hawkeyes baseball cap may not work for our next cruise, I went exploring on Amazon and found Wallaroo hats for a compromise kind of price.  The company is based in Colorado, home state of several cruise critic denizens.  Anyone know anything about them?  Worth 50 bucks?

BTW, the Wusthof carving knife recommended some time ago by our kindly doc is now a family treasure.  🙂

I love my Wallaroo hats. I have them in several styles and have been wearing them for many years now.  They pack easily and come out as good as new.  They have travelled with me on cruises, on safari, all over Europe and in my garden.  You can purchase them on-line at wallaroo.com or on Amazon.  Gosh, this sounds like a paid ad!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cinbeach said:

Good morning🙂.....sounds like the agent was not correctly informed. I have been following the Greek Government's website.

8 hours ago, jillyf said:

Enjoy your trip Lois. 🥂🥂🥂
We don’t have anything booked till 2023!  
We should be allowed to leave Australia well before then we hope.  We will look forward to hearing about your days aboard. 

Hi Jilly🙂thanks so much. You know I am planning a cruise to your neck of the woods for 2023. I hope you are back opened and running by that time.🙏

5 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

The heat is so intense a white hat with a large brim preferably with ties and ventilation at top.

White reflects sun.

Hmmm.........your post has now given me more food for thought. I was planning on wearing a bucket style hat.  I am really, REALLY not a hat person and have never been but I know for safety in this type of heat, one is really necessary.  But now I am not sure if my bucket hat will be good enough😲

Just now, Lois R said:

Hmmm.........your post has now given me more food for thought. I was planning on wearing a bucket style hat.  I am really, REALLY not a hat person and have never been but I know for safety in this type of heat, one is really necessary.  But now I am not sure if my bucket hat will be good enough😲

Yes this is about protection. 

• Like 1

Well, I will go looking again. See what I can find. I may go the Jazz route and see what Walmart has to offer or Target.

2 hours ago, Herman The Cat said:

Who routed you thru Canada? Your TA or Silversea?

For what it's worth… flying through Toronto can be a good gateway to Europe; the airport is quite nice, and I've liked Air Canada when we have done so.

Great postings by Lois and all others on this thread as a "warm-up" to your upcoming adventure.  Getting close!!  Looking forward to your sharing as you sail and keep us posted as to the on-board activities, "vibe" and experiences.  

From this below-connected website and MSN News yesterday, they had this headline: On the ground: What it’s like visiting Greece right now with many details for what reality/life is operating for tourists in that historic and scenic country.

Here are some of their reporting highlights: “On May 14, Greece reopened its borders to tourists and just a few days ago, lifted most of its lockdown measures.  I live in the U.K., so I flew British Airways to Kos airport (KOS) — you can read about that experience here. To enter Greece from the United Kingdom, the European Union or the United States, you will need to present a Passenger Locator Form (PLF), completed no later than 11:59 p.m. (local time Greece) of the day before arriving in Greece, as well as one of the following:  Negative COVID-19 PCR test, undertaken within the 72-hour period before arrival into Greece; or Proof of a negative COVID-19 rapid antigen test from an authorized laboratory, undertaken within the 48-hour period before the scheduled flight; or Proof of two COVID-19 vaccinations completed at least 14 days before travel. Acceptable vaccines are: Pfizer BioNtech, Moderna, Astra Zeneca/Oxford, Novavax, Johnson & Johnson/Janssen, Sinovac Biotech, Gamaleya (Sputnik), Cansino Biologics and Sinopharm; or A certificate of recovery from the COVID-19 virus infection issued by a public authority or a certified laboratory; or
Proof that the traveler tested positive with COVID-19 in the past two to nine months. This can be proved either by presenting a positive P.C.R. molecular or an antigen test result performed by an authorized laboratory or a medical certificate confirming that the holder was tested positive with COVID-19 virus infection.”

Seem simple, quick and easy??  And, this is just for Greece!!  You get the idea of the challenges for both the cruise lines and their passengers in being prepared and ready as they/we are seeking to visit a variety of different countries and ports?  All of these required steps will require time and patience.  And, my guess is that certain of these rules and requirements will be changing and evolving over time during the coming months and into next year.

Here is more: "It is critical you complete your Passenger Locator Form at least 24 hours before travel here. You will not be allowed to board your flight if you have not completed this in the required timeframe.  On arrival in Greece, there was a normal immigration check and stamp of passports. Passengers then proceeded to the baggage claim hall. Before collecting luggage, travelers were directed to a COVID-19-screening desk where the QR code from the PLF was scanned and the test, recovery or vaccination records were checked.  I did not print anything out to present on arrival in Greece and this did not cause any issues — everything could be easily read from my phone screen."

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tips/on-the-ground-what-its-like-visiting-greece-right-now/ar-AALCzzi?ocid=BingNewsSearch

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 39,207 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

For what it's worth… flying through Toronto can be a good gateway to Europe; the airport is quite nice, and I've liked Air Canada when we have done so.

Yes, it is a nice airport and it’s great when it works and Mother Nature cooperates.  Good luck!

Lois...Enjoy your trip and we look forward to your on board reports which we always value and in today’s circumstances will go a long way to deciding whether the time is right to think about renewing our annual cruises on SS which we have enjoyed for the past 22 years until missing out in 2020.Hope you can transfer our current Not Sure status to getting on with SS cruising again.

12 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

White reflects sun.

All of the reasons that you listed is why I like my Tilley hat.  Plus, it's crushable and I can get it back into shape without difficulty.  I recall that one of the things that sold me on it was that it had a good SPF rating if I recall correctly.  

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hmmm.........your post has now given me more food for thought. I was planning on wearing a bucket style hat.  I am really, REALLY not a hat person

I dislike wearing hats and caps and only do so when I really must.  I have had a couple of instances of Basel Cell Skin Cancer on my forehead and and every 6 months my dermatologist gets out the liquid Nitrogen to freeze some pre-cancer skin lesions on my scalp.  That also encouraged me to spend the money to get a really good hat!  

• Like 1

I got a different hat today. No it is not a Tilley.   But it does have a rim and it is larger than the bucket one I got at Ross.  I got this one at Urban Outfitters and am very happy with my purchase.

It is rattan/straw material. Lightweight and it is my color......I am a purple gal and this is lavender😃 I knew when I tried it on.......it was THE ONE. The young gal who was helping me gave me a 👍 too.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Herman The Cat said:

Lufthansa does not require a Covid test if you are vaccinated…but I am getting a PCR anyway 72 hours prior to departure as a precaution. Who routed you thru Canada? Your TA or Silversea?

I was on Luftansa last month going to Kenya for Safari and we definitely had to have a Covid PCR test but that was for Frankfurt and Kenya.    Every destination seems different now.  I was flying Delta today to Utah but asked what their requirements were for Greece and they said Vaccine Card and the Form.  Air Canada was literally next to my check in but no one was there since I was checking in at 5:30 am.

I chose Air Canada because I used my Points for Business Class tickets.  Great Flights going - using Delta returning home.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I got a different hat today. No it is not a Tilley.   But it does have a rim and it is larger than the bucket one I got at Ross.  I got this one at Urban Outfitters and am very happy with my purchase.

It is rattan/straw material. Lightweight and it is my color......I am a purple gal and this is lavender😃 I knew when I tried it on.......it was THE ONE. The young gal who was helping me gave me a 👍 too.

That sounds perfect. I love purple and lavender too!  

On 6/30/2021 at 7:42 PM, jpalbny said:

September on Ponant, to use our FCC from November 2020. 7 days around Corsica. Should be nice and quiet!

And hopefully also Silver Spirit in November. Slowly making our way to the "big" ships! So, not too far away.

Good morning,🙂 I forgot you had those cruises booked........I remember when you talked about the Ponant sailing......seems like a lifetime ago now!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, travelingbagheera said:

That sounds perfect. I love purple and lavender too!  

Good morning....should be good🙂......it was one of those "YESSSSSSSS" moments LOL😃.

And it was a good price too!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cinbeach said:

I was on Luftansa last month going to Kenya for Safari and we definitely had to have a Covid PCR test but that was for Frankfurt and Kenya.    Every destination seems different now.  I was flying Delta today to Utah but asked what their requirements were for Greece and they said Vaccine Card and the Form.  Air Canada was literally next to my check in but no one was there since I was checking in at 5:30 am.

I chose Air Canada because I used my Points for Business Class tickets.  Great Flights going - using Delta returning home.

I used to live in Jupiter FL. I also still own an investment property there and my daughter rents from me.

I came to CO initially to get out of the Summer heat. Now, I am here full time. 

You live in a lovely part of FL. :))

P.S. Dear Lois,

I did not mean to hijack your thread but I saw the person was from Jupiter FL and I had lived there for many years.

Enjoy your new purple hat and thanks to the people about the Tilley and Wallaroo hats. I have been searching both online. 🙂

Happy sailing!

• Like 1

“I dislike wearing hats and caps and only do so when I really must.  I have had a couple of instances of Basel Cell Skin Cancer on my forehead and and every 6 months my dermatologist gets out the liquid Nitrogen to freeze some pre-cancer skin lesions on my scalp.  That also encouraged me to spend the money to get a really good hat!  

Agree wholeheartedly! My first few years at sea were spent, in the main, running around the Arabian Gulf and Red Sea area, and East Africa and the Indian sub continent. Skin cancer had not been invented and a good deep tan was essential 😊

It has now come back to bite me BIG TIME … so protection for me is now a priority.
Now it is a case of 🤞🤞🤞

• Like 2