Carnival's latest protocols and FAQs

If you haven't seen the latest COVID-19 guest protocols at Carnival's Web site, you should probably check them out, since they've added a lot of items since I last looked.  Here's the direct link: Have Fun. Be Safe. | COVID-19 Guest Protocols | Carnival Cruise Line

Here are a few items that caught my eye:

Vaccinated guests do not have to be tested for COVID-19. However, based on medical screening that will take place on embarkation day, testing may be deemed necessary as a precautionary measure, which will be provided at no charge. In the event a test result is positive, the guest and their traveling party will unfortunately not be allowed to sail and will receive a future cruise credit. In such cases, guests may have to quarantine locally and Carnival will assist in helping to make those arrangements.

Guests will be asked to complete an online health questionnaire 72 hours prior to sailing and undergo enhanced pre-embarkation health screenings, which will include confirmation of their health screening responses, validation of their vaccination documents and any required COVID-19 testing. We will refer anyone with signs and symptoms of COVID-19, or who are identified at-risk, for additional medical screening before allowing them to board. Secondary screenings (and health checks throughout the cruise) will be performed when necessary. Contact tracing is planned for every cruise.

Camp Ocean™:  We do not currently plan to offer our supervised children’s programs in order to minimize the risk for children under 12 who were granted an exemption because they could not be vaccinated.

Circle “C”® & CLUB O2®: Given that teens sailing will be vaccinated, the teen clubs will operate as usual.

Due to new embarkation processes, all guests will need to complete Online Check-In and select an Arrival Appointment. Online Check-In is available for Suite, Platinum and Diamond guests at 16 days prior to sailing; general access begins at 14 days prior to sailing. It is important that guests arrive on a timely basis as early arrivals cannot be accommodated and will be asked to return at their assigned time. With everyone’s cooperation, we can work together to guarantee an on-time departure and the start of your vacation!

MASKS & PHYSICAL DISTANCING

Do I have to wear a face mask or maintain physical distancing while on a vaccinated cruise?

...All guests must wear masks during the entire embarkation and debarkation process (at the home port and port of call), during water shuttle operations, and while on any transportation. Additionally, when going ashore, guests must be prepared to follow all local guidance regarding masks and physical distancing. The status of local guidelines will be shared with guests prior to debarkation at the destination.

Guests participating in a “bubble” tour, regardless of vaccination status, will need to follow all tour protocols and local guidance regarding mask wearing and physical distancing.

Do you accept any kind of vaccine?

Any vaccine approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO).

Is it acceptable that I received a Pfizer vaccine as my first dose and Moderna as my second?

Pfizer and Moderna can be mixed to complete a full vaccination series. All other vaccines in a 2-dose series are required to be of the same type.

Do Platinum and Diamond guests still have priority boarding and early access to their staterooms?

Given our focus on meeting the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) requirements and implementation of new health and safety protocols, we have adjusted how we deliver priority check-in. All guests will need to complete Online Check-In, which will open 14 days prior to sailing. Platinum and Diamond guests will be given two days advance access to select their preferred Arrival Appointment. It is important that guests arrive on a timely basis as early arrivals cannot be accommodated and will be asked to return at their assigned time. Due to enhanced cleaning and sanitation, staterooms may not be ready at the time of boarding for the early Arrival Appointments. We appreciate our guests’ understanding as we manage through many changes with an eye on your health and safety.

If I miss the ship at the home port, will I be able to join at the first port of call?

Guests who miss the ship at the home port will not be able to join at the first port and no compensation will be provided.

Are there any activities and events that won't be offered?

Most of our usual fun activities and events will be offered. However, the following events will be temporarily not available: Seuss-a-palooza™ Parade, Green Eggs & Ham Breakfast, Photo Time! With Dr. Seuss®, Zumbini® classes, Lip Sync Battle™:Carnival, Chef’s Table (on all ships except Carnival Miracle®) and Behind the Fun Tour.

Will my kids be able to participate in the youth program on board?

Camp Ocean™: You should know that we do not currently plan to offer our supervised children’s programs on your cruise in order to minimize the risk for children under 12 who were granted an exemption because they could not be vaccinated.

Circle “C”® & CLUB O2®: Given that teens sailing will be vaccinated, the teen clubs will operate as usual. However, any unvaccinated children/teens who have been approved to sail will not be able to participate in our youth programs for the time being.

Will my stateroom still be serviced? What if I don’t want it to be serviced?

All staterooms will be serviced once daily. However, you may opt out of the daily stateroom service. Just contact your stateroom attendant to let them know. Should you need any service, your stateroom attendant will be only a phone call away.

If I require oxygen and/or dialysis during my cruise, may I still travel?

Unfortunately, we are unable to accept guests who are dependent on oxygen or dialysis at this time. This includes guests who use oxygen concentrators. Our medical experts have determined, that for the guest’s own safety, this is the right decision.

------------------------------------

I apologize for the imperfect transfer process.  I hope the information provided makes up for it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, naxer said:

Do Platinum and Diamond guests still have priority boarding and early access to their staterooms?

No.  

(Fixed it. 😉)

Temporarily

Edited by jimbo5544

Is it acceptable that I received a Pfizer vaccine as my first dose and Moderna as my second?

Pfizer and Moderna can be mixed to complete a full vaccination series. All other vaccines in a 2-dose series are required to be of the same type.

Well that sucks... In Ontario, Canada, a pile of people (including me) were given Astra Zeneca as their first dose and given Moderna or Pfizer as their second.

Reading that statement suggests that I am not vaccinated in the eyes of Carnival.

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

Well that sucks... In Ontario, Canada, a pile of people (including me) were given Astra Zeneca as their first dose and given Moderna or Pfizer as their second.

Reading that statement suggests that I am not vaccinated in the eyes of Carnival.

I read it differently. Sounds to me the mix is acceptable 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

I read it differently. Sounds to me the mix is acceptable 

The specific mix of Pfizer and Moderna are acceptable.

The mix of any other combo is not acceptable.  As it says:

All other vaccines in a 2-dose series are required to be of the same type.

So the poster, who got AZ first, and then something else as second shot, is not considered vaccinated in Carnival's eyes.  I suppose because neither the FDA nor WHO have recognized whether that combo has similar efficacy (though it probably does).

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So the poster, who got AZ first, and then something else as second shot, is not considered vaccinated in Carnival's eyes.  I suppose because neither the FDA nor WHO have recognized whether that combo has similar efficacy (though it probably does).

I don't cruise until December so not that worried, yet 😞

All that does is confirm that the vaccine roll out in my province was a **** show 🙂

29 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I read it the same way. 

This gets more complicated it seems daily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevenLucia said:

Waiting on our PVP to call us back on this one.  I am oxygen concentrator dependent and have three cruises booked.  Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Pretty sure John Heald said that policy would be in place at least until the end of this year.

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I’m stupid. I thought there was only 3 vaccines.  I didn’t know there was more. 

3 hours ago, Bases5 said:

I’m stupid. I thought there was only 3 vaccines.  I didn’t know there was more. 

In Canada we have 3 vaccines - Moderna, Pfizer, and Astra Zeneca.

Our deployment has been a disaster so people who got Moderna of Pfizer as their first are getting the other as their second.

Three months into giving out Astra Zeneca to those 40 and over (I'm 43) they decided it was unsafe and told us our only option for a second dose was Moderna or Pfizer. They then changed their minds and let some people get Astra Zeneca as their second dose.

We do not have J and J here, at least not for the regular public to book an appointment.

2 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Our deployment has been a disaster so people who got Moderna of Pfizer as their first are getting the other as their second.

Three months into giving out Astra Zeneca to those 40 and over (I'm 43) they decided it was unsafe and told us our only option for a second dose was Moderna or Pfizer. They then changed their minds and let some people get Astra Zeneca as their second dose.

We do not have J and J here, at least not for the regular public to book an appointment.

Got ya. Makes since. Mod, Pfi, & JJ we’re the 3 I was familiar with.   I just hope all this crap is over sooner rather than later. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, K_e_short said:

We had J & J available and just before my 83 year old mom was going to get it, they removed it as an option.  Due to some complications.  We rescheduled my mom and she got Moderna.  Felt sick after each shot.  I'll be glad when it's just like getting a flu shot, so many variables now.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I don't cruise until December so not that worried, yet 😞

All that does is confirm that the vaccine roll out in my province was a **** show 🙂

Maybe contact your doctor and see if you can get another shot of the Moderna vaccine? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wanna_Cruize said:

Maybe contact your doctor and see if you can get another shot of the Moderna vaccine? 

Very good suggestion. My cruise isn't until December and I might need a booster by then so would have 2 doses of Pfizer (what I got for my second dose).

I just hate the inconsistencies between countries.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I noticed a couple of changes to the FAQs; there could be many others.  Items that I noticed changes to are outlined in red:

Will my kids be able to participate in the youth program on board?

Circle “C”® & CLUB O2®: Given that teens sailing will be vaccinated, the teen clubs will operate as usual. However, any unvaccinated children/teens who have been approved to sail will not be able to participate in our youth programs for the time being.

I have an approved vaccination exemption. Are there any areas off limits?

Unvaccinated guests may not access the sauna or purchase the thermal suite pass. And those who booked spa staterooms may take advantage of all the amenities except the thermal suite. Unvaccinated children/teenagers are currently not allowed to participate in the youth camp program.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:57 AM, K_e_short said:

Just watched John Heald's breakfast video yesterday and he was very clear on this, unfortunately.  You are correct. In THEIR eyes you are not fully vaccinated and can not sail with that combination. 😞

On 7/1/2021 at 10:59 AM, StevenLucia said:

Waiting on our PVP to call us back on this one.  I am oxygen concentrator dependent and have three cruises booked.  Will be interesting to see how they handle it.

Just watched John Heald's breakfast video yesterday and he was very clear on this, unfortunately.  You are correct. If you are on oxygen you can not cruise - he did stipulate to contact them and they would be happy to issue refunds or book you on a future cruise.😞  As someone else mentioned I believe he said they expect this to be through at least the end of the year, so keep that in mind if you rebook

1 hour ago, wemjam said:

Just watched John Heald's breakfast video yesterday and he was very clear on this, unfortunately.  You are correct. In THEIR eyes you are not fully vaccinated and can not sail with that combination. 😞

Yeeks!  Well I might look to cancel and try and book on a line that accepts my combination as vaccinated.  I am disappointed.

Thank you wemjam for clearing this up!