Is this cutting it too thin to catch a flight? Harmony OTS

Cruised many times.  I know the risks in asking this question but since I have not flown for over a year and don't know the current 'lay of the land'...here goes...

We have our inbound flight figured out.  Our return home flight is where I have the question.  We fly into Orlando airport (MCO).  Take a shuttle to the cruise port which takes anywhere from 45 minutes to just over an hour depending on traffic, etc.  (Although our return flight and hence shuttle ride is on a less busy Sunday...)

We have an opportunity to catch a 11:05 AM flight back.  Given the debarkation process (And everything that could go wrong...) and we typically always do the early self check out anyway, Is that too early of a flight???

What time of year is your flight?  MCO can be very busy, particularly on Sundays, depending on when in the year it is.  Also, what time is your ship scheduled to dock that morning?  When would be the next flight if you don't book that one?  Does your airline have other flights that day in case you miss that one?  Lots of questions, but they all factor into the decision.

Also, there's a lot of uncertainty of what the debarkation process will be like post-covid.

38 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

What time of year is your flight?  MCO can be very busy, particularly on Sundays, depending on when in the year it is.  Also, what time is your ship scheduled to dock that morning?  When would be the next flight if you don't book that one?  Does your airline have other flights that day in case you miss that one?  Lots of questions, but they all factor into the decision.

Also, there's a lot of uncertainty of what the debarkation process will be like post-covid.

Return to port is posted as 6 am on the 9th

22 minutes ago, bgoff60 said:

I agree.  Thanks.  Took a 4:15 pm departure.  That way we can be a bit more leisurely getting off the boat and not have to stress over it! 

Agree.  Who needs to end a vacation being worried on your last night.

• Like 3

I will say returning at 6 am on Oasis a few years ago, we were at Disney by 930 (Shades of Green resort on property) and that was on a marathon day so traffic was heavy on the route around Disney due to rerouting.  I'd say it's very possible, but it's more how stressed will you be?  Also, we didn't do carryoff, but we are D+ and in a JS so we were off the ship by 8. Of course, anyone can request an early time off for a flight.  We had our own car though so no waiting around for a ride.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 1:40 PM, BND said:

I will say returning at 6 am on Oasis a few years ago, we were at Disney by 930 (Shades of Green resort on property) and that was on a marathon day so traffic was heavy on the route around Disney due to rerouting.  I'd say it's very possible, but it's more how stressed will you be?  Also, we didn't do carryoff, but we are D+ and in a JS so we were off the ship by 8. Of course, anyone can request an early time off for a flight.  We had our own car though so no waiting around for a ride.

Thanks.  Great perspective. 

I think you made a wise decision.  A 11:05 am flight will probably start boarding at 10:35. Then you have to factor in waiting in lines once you get to MCO. First to check in your luggage then,  unless you have TSA precheck, lengthly security lines at MCO, which can get quite long as they serve multiple airlines (about 59 gates each).  Then there's time for a people mover ride out to the terminal, followed by a sometimes long walk down a crowded concourse to your gate (we were there in July and because of weather related flight delays there wasn't much walkway left as folks gathered around the gates).

I think you made a wise choice. With the possibilities of all the different parts that can get delayed you will be less stressed. Also check out the area to see if there’s a tour you might want to take in the Orlando area.

We've booked a return flight out of MCO for 12:05pm end of cruise day off Harmony for May 1st.

Hoping to have concierge assist us with an early departure carrying our own bags and have arranged for a private shuttle. Heading back to the west coast and hoping this all works out.

Getting through security at MCO is the tough part. Last time we were there (first week in July) it was a 2 hour event with drug/bomb sniffing dogs at the checkpoint. It was interesting watching some people get out of the line once they realized that there were dogs present. 🤔

• Haha 1

Glad you changed your flight. The fact that you were wondering if that earlier flight was makeable... suggests that the last day of the cruise you would have been spending far too much time thinking about how to get off the ship the fastest way possible... you want to be able to enjoy the whole cruise not just 85% or so of it. Sure it will take a bit longer to get home... but you will be less stressed.

• Like 1

I think if we all knew how full the ship will be at that time, making a 11am flight is very doable if that cruise has the same amount of passengers that are on the ship now.

But not knowing at this time, it's probably best to get a later flight.

On 7/1/2021 at 5:47 PM, bgoff60 said:

Is that too early of a flight???

I once booked a 10:30am flight out of FLL as the next one wasn’t until the evening. Never again! I spent the last few days of the cruise worrying if we were going to make it. It’s just not worth the stress imo. 

3 minutes ago, CaroleC said:

I once booked a 10:30am flight out of FLL as the next one wasn’t until the evening. Never again! I spent the last few days of the cruise worrying if we were going to make it. It’s just not worth the stress imo. 

And, FLL airport isn't that far, less than what, 15 min?  PC to MCO is about an hour's drive.  Much easier in FLL to make a flight at 1030 than one at MCO at 11.

2 hours ago, BND said:

And, FLL airport isn't that far, less than what, 15 min?  PC to MCO is about an hour's drive.  Much easier in FLL to make a flight at 1030 than one at MCO at 11.

Yes absolutely. We were at the gate waiting to board with loads of time to spare in the end and DH (who’s far more chilled than me) saying “I told you we’d be fine” 😬. It stressed me out so much though that I promised myself I would never book early flights post cruise again!

18 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Can see walk--off line begin growing around 4:30am and be hundreds deep by 6:00.  IMO better to get a full nights sleep, enjoy your breakfast and let Royal carry your bags ashore.

Agree!   Why end a vacation standing on a line at 6 am or before.   Also what happens if there is a delay in arrival or at the port.  It happens. 

6 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Can see walk--off line begin growing around 4:30am and be hundreds deep by 6:00.  IMO better to get a full nights sleep, enjoy your breakfast and let Royal carry your bags ashore.

There is no walk off line right now.  Even walkoffs must get a tag number and wait to be called.

Maybe not in January though.

We are sitting right now in Cyprus next to the beautiful Harmony but we see no passengers so I guess she is not sailing yet.    

As for MCO from Port Canaveral, if the transfers are using Interstate 4, good luck.   We have been totally stopped by traffic and construction most of the time.   If you add accidents to the mix, not uncommon, you are in for a long journey.   There may be another way other than that interstate for travel to MCO.   In January you will be at the height of the holiday and winter season.

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are sitting right now in Cyprus next to the beautiful Harmony but we see no passengers so I guess she is not sailing yet.    

As for MCO from Port Canaveral, if the transfers are using Interstate 4, good luck.   We have been totally stopped by traffic and construction most of the time.   If you add accidents to the mix, not uncommon, you are in for a long journey.   There may be another way other than that interstate for travel to MCO.   In January you will be at the height of the holiday and winter season.

We always took State Road 528 BeachlineExpressway from MCO to Port Canaveral.

I-4 goes from Tampa to Daytona, no reason to get on that road.

Edited by Jimbo

On 7/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, 1025cruise said:

I wouldn't risk it.

I have booked Air to Sea and my return flight is 11:15 we dock at 6am, I thought if you book through Air to Sea you should be able to make the flight? Should I be worried? I do have a Suite so I should be able to disembark early? Thanks 

• Like 1