oh well, another earth shaking offer from ncl

complawyer

we're booked on the getaway from athens on nov 24, 2021. myself, wife, grandson and a close friend. since there will be 4 people i booked the 2 bedroom haven.

i got really excited when the heading said extra guests "free"  turns out that the price for 4 people with this stunning offer is greater than it was before. 

except for the $250 cruise credit, everything else is same old same old which ncl has been running since last nov.

as for the extra bonus points, we're platinum + and i figured out that it would take my wife and I  two 14 day cruises per year for the next 8 years to get to ambassador status, at which time i'll be 81, and probably way to old to go anywhere.

so if you decide to book under this new limited time offer, CAVEAT EMPTOR!

note, i'm not knocking norwegian, but as i've posted before, they dont give away ice cubes in winter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, complawyer said:

we're booked on the getaway from athens on nov 24, 2021. myself, wife, grandson and a close friend. since there will be 4 people i booked the 2 bedroom haven.

i got really excited when the heading said extra guests "free"  turns out that the price for 4 people with this stunning offer is greater than it was before. 

except for the $250 cruise credit, everything else is same old same old which ncl has been running since last nov.

as for the extra bonus points, we're platinum + and i figured out that it would take my wife and I  two 14 day cruises per year for the next 8 years to get to ambassador status, at which time i'll be 81, and probably way to old to go anywhere.

note, i'm not knocking norwegian, but as i've posted before, they dont give away ice cubes in winter

What exactly are you hoping for from them?  They are having great demand, their prices are as high as any of us have ever seen them, but you were hoping for some great extras?  I am not sure at all what your hope was here.  Just trying to understand your reasoning.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

"Oooh, a new sale" ..... runs off to price check every booked cruise

"Oh darn, once again the sale has caused my prices to increase instead of decrease" .... cancels the mock booking and goes back to life as we know it

Nice.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RaftingJeremy said:

That makes 0 sense…

Apparently that makes 0 sense to exactly one poster.  Pretty clear for the rest of us.....

btw:  you may not understand sarcasm when you see it.  I can't help you with that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Sailing12Away said:

"Oooh, a new sale" ..... runs off to price check every booked cruise

"Oh darn, once again the sale has caused my prices to increase instead of decrease" .... cancels the mock booking and goes back to life as we know it

You left out the part about posting a thread about how awful NCL is.  Other than that, pretty accurate! 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Apparently that makes 0 sense to exactly one poster.  Pretty clear for the rest of us.....

btw:  you may not understand sarcasm when you see it.  I can't help you with that.

Lmao ok…. 

fyi, i wasnt hoping (expecting anything from them) . i was just commenting on what they try and pass off as a great savings, when  in actuality it's same old same old.

i deal with them because (1) my wife is a diamond club member with Cesar's entertainment and they give us 10% off on a suite and 20% off on any cabin less than that. For a haven or a regular suite it's an ok savings, (2) the only reasoning is that they make this major announcement and it turns out to be little or nothing.  I cant believe that the corporation can underestimate the intelligence of their potential customers. (3) i just wanted people who may have never cruised with norwegian, to understand they are not getting any real type of savings, (4) since the ad said free guests, i was hoping that maybe ncl would come thru and i could bring the 2 other people along for no increase in price.

to me, "free guests" would indicate extra guests would be allowed to cruise free.  dont you think that's a valid assupmtion?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, complawyer said:

fyi, i wasnt hoping (expecting anything from them) . i was just commenting on what they try and pass off as a great savings, when  in actuality it's same old same old.

i deal with them because (1) my wife is a diamond club member with Cesar's entertainment and they give us 10% off on a suite and 20% off on any cabin less than that. For a haven or a regular suite it's an ok savings, (2) the only reasoning is that they make this major announcement and it turns out to be little or nothing.  I cant believe that the corporation can underestimate the intelligence of their potential customers. (3) i just wanted people who may have never cruised with norwegian, to understand they are not getting any real type of savings, (4) since the ad said free guests, i was hoping that maybe ncl would come thru and i could bring the 2 other people along for no increase in price.

to me, "free guests" would indicate extra guests would be allowed to cruise free.  dont you think that's a valid assupmtion?

Yet you keep going back for more....which I guess makes you a part of the group you mention in number 2. 

All companies market in ways to make their product seem great and a great value while at the same time maximizing their profits as best they can.  I am sure if I got to RCI, CCL, or MSC pages and check months and months on end that they all play the same game.  Cruises go up, cruises go down, offers are made, but in the end the prices do NOT move very much, even when you factor in the "deals".  

As for the free guests, they are free, you are paying for the extras, port fees for each person on board, their gratuities, do you not want workers to be tipped to clean up after your friends?  I think your argument falls flat here.

Edited by oteixeira
  • Like 4

@complawyer not sure what you're seeing when you book. But I just did a mock booking for Canada for 4 people in a 2br Haven, and both the 3rd and 4th person are in fact free.

Are you saying you want 3/4 people to be free? Or you want them to be "free" free, meaning no taxes and fees?

image.thumb.png.55a4e1495e94ef9ca03acf4a511b0544.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, complawyer said:

I do not think that is a valid assumption and I know as a lawyer, you know that you always have to read the fine print.  Of course taxes and port fees must be charged and gratuities are standard.  I agree with @Sailing12Away - they appear free in the pricing details, but we all know that the costs of these "free" passengers is cooked into the fare of Guests 1 & 2, i.e., no increase in price. 🤑

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, HuliHuli said:

I do not think that is a valid assumption and I know as a lawyer, you know that you always have to read the fine print.  

I could change my username to include "lawyer" and it wouldn't make me one.  Of course, I have actually "ran rum" onto a cruise ship, so I should probably stick with that persona.   🤣  I doubt this person is a real lawyer, as somebody so educated would probably have a better grasp as to how the world actually works.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2021 at 8:38 PM, complawyer said:

If you look at the details for the "free guest" it only applies to selected cruises.  Yours isn't one. 

• Like 1

I read the OPs first post as informational more than b*tching. It seems that each time a new sale comes out, someone posts  how the sale price is actually higher than what they booked. This is true on all cruise lines.  I feel like the OP was simply frustrated with marketing tactics (aren't we all?) and was warning others to be careful.

IMO, the OP's post may help someone who is new to cruising realize that the "kids sale free" offer isn't as consumer friendly as the marketing team would like them to believe. Isn't that what this forum is for? 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I read the OPs first post as informational more than b*tching. It seems that each time a new sale comes out, someone posts  how the sale price is actually higher than what they booked. This is true on all cruise lines.  I feel like the OP was simply frustrated with marketing tactics (aren't we all?) and was warning others to be careful.

IMO, the OP's post may help someone who is new to cruising realize that the "kids sale free" offer isn't as consumer friendly as the marketing team would like them to believe. Isn't that what this forum is for? 

I agree with this. I looked at the 3 for free offer and when they added the gratuity it certainly wasn't even reasonable. Be aware of marketing ploys is what the OP was getting at. 

• Like 2

First cruise we took with NCL was a few years back, and at the time they offered the 3rd & 4th person free deal. Price for 2 of us was ballpark 3K. Price to let my MIL tag alone with us was ballpark $3400 (too lazy to look up my receipt). To us, that's close enough to "free". So we booked it.

Right now, the prices are the prices. Supply, demand, pent up Covid rage, unused credits to burn through... So people who are ok with the prices will book. If you can get the 3rd & 4th person to come for only $400 total instead of $3K - it's still a deal. 

If there has ever been an instance where NCL truly offered "free" free sailings, I would love to see that. 

So again, not to beat a dead horse - if you got a better deal when you originally booked, congrats. That's why most of us here advise people to book early and snag those deals for the reasons someone mentioned above. For someone who hasn't yet booked and wants to go on that sailing, to them it's a bonus to pay $400 instead of $3K. End of story.

• Like 2