The Daily for Sunday Jul 04, 2021

richwmn

59 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

I understand there's a humour thread on these boards, but I thought I had to share this one with my "family".  DH and DSIL are out on the front step, trying to put together a new ceiling fan for our front entry.  A lot of silence, tools being passed back and forth, then this happens:

DSIL:  There, I think we've got it together.

DH:  But what about this piece?

DSIL:  Oh, you probably don't need that one.

I'm dying here.

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

When we come and visit, remind me not to stand under your fan!😄

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

I've been to Bar Harbor a number of times, starting with the Regent Sun in 1994, and also Blount Grand Caribe, . both Crystal Symphony and Serenity, and on the Veendam.  Lots of nice photos and I'll post just a couple.  A nice thing about the Grande Caribe  is that it's small enough that it docked right in the center of town:IMG_2200.thumb.JPG.d27f818555ecaf9b6d932fecb8cbe3df.JPG

I'll post a bit of a story along with a photo from the Veendam.  The Cruise Director was the often maligned Linda Minniken and it's the only time I sailed with her that was not on the Prinsendam.  At the time I think is was just a 2-star mariner and was concerned about tendering as I was looking at a 10AM church service.  After the show she gave some tips, including the fact that the demand usually isn't there for the first couple of tenders.

I was in line about 7:30 and ashore about 8:10 leaving me lots of time to explore before worship.  I didn't do a lot but checked our a breakfast spot, "Cafe This Way" which was crowed in the morning but had plenty of room after the service.  At 10AM I was at the United Church of Christ:

uccbarhbr.jpg

After the service I found the Blueberry Pancakes at Cafe This Way were a touch of heaven.

Roy

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I have a cabin selection question for my Daily Family.  Vista's were not available for our Rotterdam cruise this December but my PCC was able to put in an upgrade request for one.  I just got an email that a Vista Aft View is available on Deck 4 which is above the Dining Room.  The one time we were above the Dining Room, on the Veendam, we could hear "clanking" off and on, not talking just louder noises I can only describe as clanking.  Has anyone been on a Rotterdam sister ship above the Dining Room?  Have you heard anything?

We heard nothing from MDR.  Only downside for us was a sort of 'shimmy' when making knots.  I have heard that it is caused by the azipods moving the stern as they maintain the ships course.  Would we book one again? No, but if we were offered one as an upgrade then we could cope with it! 😉 

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4221-koningsdam/

Edited by VMax1700
  • Like 8

Happy 4th of July to all of our American friends .

We have been to Mount Desert Island about 8 or 9 times because our DD and family have a beautiful spot to spend a couple of weeks in the summertime in Bass Harbor  ( almost forgot you spell Harbour without a U ????  Even my spell check says that I forgot the U ) 

Bass Harbor is on the quiet side of Mount Desert Island but for entertainment and choice of nice restaurants we have often been to Bar Harbor and have seen the Veendam , Maasdam and other BHB's there in July and August .

Let me see if I have some nice pictures to share 

This is Mount Desert Island in the winter very few people stay over the winter when we were there renovating it felt like that they locked up the island and they threw away the keys , but it is gorgeous .

DSCF1639.thumb.jpg.a0281bba44d05d2262702242edb8eb6e.jpg

DSCN3344.thumb.JPG.8c619f98f81f262f037d632654d6893e.JPG

BTW it doesn’t matter how many people have tried this like our GS’s did…………….that rock is still there 

DSCF5051.thumb.JPG.748aa83f2cfe077bd9858a56d91da394.JPG

Bar Harbor 

IMG_3973.thumb.JPG.32f584f79f295dc17fa3af9749e14c54.JPG

Going fishing for our dinner 

IMG_3963.thumb.JPG.7df475a4a8304a35506497bb49bade50.JPG

At Beal's lobster pier with friends 

DSCN3363.thumb.JPG.5eb196d7ddb8c1ebf7cfcbb562af3c84.JPG

DSCN5036.thumb.jpg.3b72352435093612110b46c9bf2283b2.jpg

Lots of hiking on Mount Desert Island , here we are going around the  Jordan ponds 

DSCN5055.thumb.jpg.03b847ff502883a61be9e60a8490db85.jpg

Lunch and special desert after the hike Ice cream  with the famous popovers after the hike there was no left over for Grandpa .

IMG_1241.thumb.JPG.abd6422b1502b9c73303c61721aa80d1.JPG

View from Cadillac Mountain 

DSCN5072.thumb.JPG.c6d9b1a195beea106037d65af017fe6c.JPG

Bar Harbor , hey there is one of "our" ships in port  ……! 

DSCN5099.thumb.JPG.7ef7137f56a2dad0a92e1403cf42cc75.JPG

DSCN5100.thumb.JPG.e58ba0ecfe823e251aae22afb67cb972.JPG

1947289656_DSCN50973.thumb.JPG.9b1eee01941d8e8edd2880831377bbe9.JPG

More hiking ……….are we there yet …….????

DSCN5117.thumb.jpg.de5397c48bd975c6df8e63ab98593808.jpg

One of the many bridges on the Carriage Roads in Acadia National Park directed and financed by John D. Rockefeller Jr.

DSCN5111.thumb.jpg.b5971e8c463f572c16c84c3a49fc6ac8.jpg

Time for a fire and S’mores after all that hard work 

IMG_3861.thumb.JPG.24020ee9f9a6235cd43eba036e8c51e6.JPG

DSCN5127.thumb.JPG.227c686009cfc1ba6f7a4cab982c9182.JPG

DD cooked a delicious Clambake  of coarse with clams and lobsters .

DSCN3327.thumb.JPG.8e75e33b32cda124ca1f9b8502967e4f.JPG

Low tide and sundown 

DSCN3383.thumb.jpg.a24e49ab0908c87e80001d58716d404f.jpg

Sorry folks , I hope I didn't give you the idea that this a commercial for a BnB , it is booked up for a while and we hope we will also be able to go again soon .

Tony 😄
  • Like 25

6 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

We heard nothing from MDR.  Only downside for us was a sort of 'shimmy' when making knots.  I have heard that it is caused by the azipods moving the stern as they maintain the ships course.  Would we book one again? No, but if we were offered one as an upgrade then we could cope with it! 😉 

https://halfacts.com/pinnacle-class/4221-koningsdam/

Thank you!  I have a few days to consider the offer and your comments really help. 

• Like 6

29 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I've been to Bar Harbor a number of times, starting with the Regent Sun in 1994, and also Blount Grand Caribe, . both Crystal Symphony and Serenity, and on the Veendam.  Lots of nice photos and I'll post just a couple.  A nice thing about the Grande Caribe  is that it's small enough that it docked right in the center of town:IMG_2200.thumb.JPG.d27f818555ecaf9b6d932fecb8cbe3df.JPG

I'll post a bit of a story along with a photo from the Veendam.  The Cruise Director was the often maligned Linda Minniken and it's the only time I sailed with her that was not on the Prinsendam.  At the time I think is was just a 2-star mariner and was concerned about tendering as I was looking at a 10AM church service.  After the show she gave some tips, including the fact that the demand usually isn't there for the first couple of tenders.

I was in line about 7:30 and ashore about 8:10 leaving me lots of time to explore before worship.  I didn't do a lot but checked our a breakfast spot, "Cafe This Way" which was crowed in the morning but had plenty of room after the service.  At 10AM I was at the United Church of Christ:

uccbarhbr.jpg

After the service I found the Blueberry Pancakes at Cafe This Way were a touch of heaven.

Roy

Roy, I liked Linda Minniken.  I think she was the one who used to say a corny phrase at the end of her announcements (can't remember the phrase and DH isn't in shouting range - LOL).  But she eventually stopped that probably after so many complaints from people looking for something to pick on her for.  It didn't bother me.  She was a very nice person and I missed her whenever she was on vacation from her duties.  

What was that phrase?  Ta-Ta for now or something similar?

• Like 9

30 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

uccbarhbr.jpg

Roy

Cafe This Way is one of our favourite hang outs for lunch !!!!  Well hidden of the street  but it is always crowded , they have very good servers ! 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Roy, I liked Linda Minniken.  I think she was the one who used to say a corny phrase at the end of her announcements (can't remember the phrase and DH isn't in shouting range - LOL).  But she eventually stopped that probably after so many complaints from people looking for something to pick on her for.  It didn't bother me.  She was a very nice person and I missed her whenever she was on vacation from her duties.  

I liked her too.  I think it was "tootle-loo" or similar? 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi, one of those phrases was hers, and I think the other was Susan Wood's phrase.

In 2017 on the Prinsendam, she told us that Seattle told the CDs to stop using their catch phases.  That was during all the changes with the entertainment departmen, including no more individuality.  It was also when the CDs had to start wearing uniforms.

We got to know Linda during our 92 days on the ship with her, and liked her.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 8

My recollection is Linda's announcements seemed to go on forever.  Unlike many, I was always looking forward to hearing Toodle Loo for Now.  It meant the announcement was finally over.  I think her last couple of cruises she dropped the phrase but also got far more concise.

Roy

• Like 7

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Hahaha - the comments are priceless.  You can't make these things up.  Good luck with the ceiling fan.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Happy Independence Day for those in the States. Stay safe but enjoy your celebrations.

Blessings to all and special prayers for those that need them, whether they know that they do or not. Cheers to all of the celebrations. Have a wonderful day!

• Like 11

Smooth Sailing! 🙂🙂🙂

Gerry, I believe someone throws an extra part in boxes just to make us crazy. I put together a BBQ grill and had parts left over that were not on the parts list. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

My recollection is Linda's announcements seemed to go on forever.  Unlike many, I was always looking forward to hearing Toodle Loo for Now.  It meant the announcement was finally over.  I think her last couple of cruises she dropped the phrase but also got far more concise.

Roy

She di drop the Toodie Lee Doo, thank heavens.  I was so weary of that on our first Prinsendam cruise.  I just shut the door so didn’t hear her on that cruise by day 20.  On the next cruise, she was much improved.

Even helped with tenders for private tours. 👍 

• Like 4

Happy July  fourth!

We sailed to Bar Harbor 4 times.  The first was way back in October, 2000, on Splendour OTS.  In July, 2016, we were on Rotterdam VI, and in October, 2018, aboard Zuiderdam, where we visited it twice, on our b2b. On our 2000 voyage,  as we headed to the tender, the fog rolled in and you couldn’t see the ship until you were almost there !

• Like 8

Happy 4th , I hope everyone had a great day. I spent the afternoon at my pool. It’s always a big day with a parade and games for the kids. I’m not sure how many people were there, 

I was to Bar Harbor on Maasdam in June 2013,, it was cold and rainy.

Time to get dinner going, steaks and corn on the grill.

E4A63997-BF1E-4D3E-BDE7-FCABB144C0FA.jpeg

D89B89CB-9F36-48DB-AAD9-BA1594AA879E.jpeg

• Like 15

22 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I guess we speak and spell English and you American Lenda  @Quartzsite Cruiser as long as we understand each other we will be OK ! 

I'm sure you know the old saying about the British and the Americans.  One people separated by a common language, or something like that.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I've been checking for Milady Deer all day but so far I haven't seen a deer anywhere.  If she shows up just as it gets dark again I won't be able to take a photo of her.  

I have a feeling I may never see that particular deer ever again.  There's plenty of them out there in the woods.  There's running water in the creeks and probably lots of vegetation they would find tasty.  

***hoping as soon as I post this she will show up - that's usually the way things work***

• Like 11

Like @Cruising-along I have been to Bar Harbor 4 times, always on a BHB cruise. Love all the photos that you people are posting but you have made me So Hungry for Lobster Rolls. Oh well,  my planned Hot Dogs and Fritos with a Pepsi will still be my traditional 4th of July dinner.  

My town, Mesa, Az. will be having a live fireworks show but I prefer to sit at home and watch "A Capitol Fourth" on our local PBS channel.

Church service today was very patriotic and very inspiring with all of the music being patriotic in nature. Even the alter was decorated with a red, white and blue wreath.

• Like 10