The Daily for Monday Jul 12, 2021

richwmn

Good morning Dailyites. Thank you Rich, Roy, and Daily contributor's. 

Hoping Ann is having a wonderful time in Iceland. Can't wait to hear from her.

We've been to Ravenna. As Jacqui mentioned,  beautiful mosaics, basilica's, and an amusement park.

My favorite pecan pie is Jack Daniel's as served at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House in Lynchburg. 

Finally getting the last of our year's warranty fixings done today. Ghosting doors. We have 5 of them. And a door that makes a scary screeching noise. 

We have our orientation this afternoon that's required to get into the fitness centers and classes here in Sun City. Everything is 100% open now, so figured we are ok to start using them without standing in line for limited use of equipment. 

Looks like our rain has passed for now. A solid high of 92 for the next 10 days. Need to get out early and water my potted plants.

Wishing everyone an awesome day. Prayers and Cheers.

• Like 19

Good Morning All,

Its Monday again, and another warm day here in the south land. Plan to groom the garden, get out on my bike and have a Zoom “Sit and Stitch” and Spanish class later. 

Here’s Cat’s wine report on the Wine of the Day:

Cave Spring 2018 Riesling

WE91 Wine Enthusiast
A “bone dry” Canadian Riesling for as little as $14.99 a bottle online – run to your local wine shop! Look for the 2018 vintage. Others are not yet rated or are rated slightly below the 2018 vintage. This might actually be our first Daily wine du jour from Canada!

Winemaker Notes & Review: "Balance is the watchword for this wine, reaching across the dynamic tension between the residual fruit sugar and the searing acidity. In the mix are tangy flavors of apple, white melon, lemon and tangerine."

Product Description: Great winemaking finds its origins through a marriage of vision, passion and patience. More than three decades ago, the Pennachetti family helped to pioneer the cultivation of noble European grape varietals on the Niagara Peninsula with the planting of their first Riesling and Chardonnay vines at Cave Spring Vineyard. In the years since, Cave Spring Vineyard has established itself as one of Canada’s most acclaimed wineries, earning a reputation for crafting elegant and distinctive cool-climate wines in the heart of Ontario’s wine country.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Looks like the church in Ravenna was worth a trip there to see it.  Beautiful walls and ceilings!

The Unesco Byzantine mosaics are spread among 8 sites.   I forget how many we visited, possibly 5 or 6?   I know one site was closed that day, another is a bus ride outside of the city itself.

Here is some info and the 8 monument sites: 

Ravenna, an important port, was known under the Romans and Byzantines as Classis. It developed into a major centre of Christian art and culture on the instigation of Galla Placidia, the wife of Western Roman Emperor Constantius III (and regent of that empire herself for a few years). She was a fervant Christian and was involved in the building and restoration of various churches throughout her period of influence

The 8 inscribed monuments are:

• Neonian Baptistery (c. 430)
  • Mausoleum of Galla Placidia (c. 430)
  • Arian Baptistry (c. 500)
  • Archiepiscopal Chapel (c. 500)
  • Basilica of Sant'Apollinare Nuovo (c. 500)
  • Mausoleum of Theodoric (520)
  • Basilica of San Vitale (548)
  • Basilica of Sant' Apollinare in Classe (549)

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning from a cloudy central Texas with more rain expected.

I have seen dogs with different colored eyes but not any people.  Pecan pie is DH's favorite, and I make it occasionally. I like the custard part (but then I do have a sweet tooth), but am not a pecan fan. Simplicity is a worthwhile way to live, but sometimes life gets in the way.

Like the MLK quote, and unfortunately, it was true for him.

The meal looks good and I like Italian sausage.  It looks like you might have to eat it with a knife and fork though.  I might like to try today's wine as I like a medium dry to dry Riesling.  Will pass on the drink.

@smitty34877  The picture of Camilla and her dad is adorable.

In 2016, Ravenna was added to the Prinsendam's itinerary when the Balck Sea cruise was cancelled.  We had a tour to San Marino scheduled, but had to cancel it.  DH took the shuttle into Ravenna and here are some of his pictures.

DSC00073.thumb.JPG.5798d1c757f9f0189fa89ccf0b83926f.JPG

DSC00065.thumb.JPG.2a65099d88f38ed0872177686ce34251.JPG

DSC00069.thumb.JPG.93a6cb11d37570364af25af0c640d054.JPG

DSC00070.thumb.JPG.74216f91d0deed972b3347de73e16dcb.JPG

DSC00077.thumb.JPG.d6ebc814052554a35ad59ccdca80a369.JPG

DSC00079.thumb.JPG.8481f7ec1323ac51cc165b0fb76d0f5c.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 27
  • Thanks 2

Good Morning!

A big shout out to all who contribute to this thread.  It is a unique place for learning, sharing and caring.

Healing thoughts to those on the care list and cheers to the congratulatory list.

We have been to Ravenna only one time - November 25, 2017.  It was during a B2B on the Pacific Princess (Venice to Civitavecchia to Fort Lauderdale).

The highlight mosaics have already been shown so I will post the D-I-Y walking tour I made to hit all the sights we wanted to see.  (Keep in mind this was from 2017 and Princess so shuttle stop and admission pricing may be different.)

image.png.5ca61a57ec281846b127c37f75f1ffa1.png

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I've never seen a person with different coloured eyes, but a friend's Australian shepherd dog had them.  DH loves pecan pie, but I find it too sweet, and often, simple is better.

There were a series of storm cells that blew through our province late yesterday afternoon and evening, however, none of them hit our city.  A few areas had hail larger than golf balls, followed by drenching rains.  I'm not sure what will be left of their crops after that bashing.  What a year it's been!  At least for us, the storms brought cooler weather, which is nice if you want to get out in the yard and do some work (which we do).

Yesterday our province lifted all Covid-19 restrictions meaning restaurants could open fully, no more one-ways in the grocery stores, etc.   Despite the fact that all bets are off, we aren't going to be giving up our masks just yet.  If we're in a small group where we know everyone has been vaccinated, it will be fine, but get into a place like Costco with large crowds, we'll be wearing them.  And hand sanitizer has become a habit we won't be breaking any time soon.

I like today's menu suggestion, but am not sure we have any Italian sausage in the freezer.  I'll send DH downstairs to check what's in there and see what he comes up with - we may be substituting garlic sausage instead.  Along with dilled potatoes and a side salad, that will make a nice dinner for us tonight.  And wine.

@smitty34877 I just melted when I saw the precious pic of Camilla and her daddy!

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses tonight to toast all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands and wear your masks if you need to.  And hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. Today promises to be a better day since Sam came home. On hearing from me yesterday about the things the aide did over the past few days, the agency told her she is leaving and they are coming with a new person, the head of the agency, a nurse and my daughter. She has lied to us, twisted everything we or she has said, refused to take Sam to the bathroom when he asked, wouldn’t let me take his blood pressure because she was concerned about what we would do if it was too high, took away my cane and said I couldn’t  use it. Ive e been using it for 10 years. Sam said it’s like walking on egg shells with her around. The list goes on and on. 

The sun is shining and it promises to be a better day.

Carol

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Good morning everyone. Today promises to be a better day since Sam came home. On hearing from me yesterday about the things the aide did over the past few days, the agency told her she is leaving and they are coming with a new person, the head of the agency, a nurse and my daughter. She has lied to us, twisted everything we or she has said, refused to take Sam to the bathroom when he asked, wouldn’t let me take his blood pressure because she was concerned about what we would do if it was too high, took away my cane and said I couldn’t  use it. Ive e been using it for 10 years. Sam said it’s like walking on egg shells with her around. The list goes on and on. 

Carol

Carol, we all certainly hope the new nurse works out much better for you and Sam.  I can't imagine a home health care nurse treating you two the way she did.  Most of them are saints and very caring individuals.   She is definitely in the wrong profession.

• Like 16

4 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

😱 OMG, Carol, what a nightmare!  Good luck with the new aide. 🤗

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

Oh, Carol, what a continuing nightmare for both of you.  I'm glad the agency listened to your and is taking her off Sam's case.  Hopefully, the agency will not use her anymore as it seems she should not be working around people.  Best wishes for a smoother, simpler time ahead with the new aide.

• Like 14

13 minutes ago, mamaofami said:

Carol

That sounds truly awful!  I'm glad that she is gone and someone new will be arriving to help you all out.  The stress must have been terrible.  You are right, there are better days ahead.

• Like 13

@mamaofami, My  husband  was  seriously  ill  for  several  months  as  I  mentioned  previously. I  think  we  went  through  2 aides  before  we  found  a   wonderful  woman  who  could help  us.  I  had  to  go  to  work and  both  of  my  children  were  not  living  anywhere  nearby. I  ended  up  with  2  12  hour  aides so  that  I  could  get  some  sleep. That  was  for  the  first  month. Later  on,he  was  able  to  ambulate  and  his  balance  improved  and  we  managed  the  nights  ourselves. Of  course  I  was  working  as  a  PT  and  was  younger  at  the  time  and  could  do  the  heavy  work. I  hope  you  get  things  straightened  out  as  what  you  described  was  intolerable  and  just  not  right. All  the  best.

• Like 20

Rich:  Thanks for another fleet report which you give each and every day. Today is also Orangeman's Day.   Thanks  to Roy  for his Daily care and Shout Out List.  Summer slope I think both versions of the Caribbean Cooler sound refreshing.  I knew they would both feature rum.  Thanks to all posters on this thread.  Some of the pictures were stunning.

• Like 8

👍Rich @richwmn thank you for The Daily to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. I'm enjoying the photos from Ravenna ( somehow missed that port on earlier🚢 Princess cruises to the Med) ....thank you to all who contribute. 😊

Wonderful MLK quote.

Riesling seems to taste better while sitting outside in a cafe in Germany, lol. 😉

Darling photo of Camilla @smitty34877.

Retirement is the best and glad you're enjoying it @aliaschief. What an ordeal @mamaofami..better days ahead.

When I think of simplicity, Marie Kondo comes to mind. Remember all the decluttering and organizing ideas?🤔 I stopped purchasing books and use the Libby App for free downloads. 

🙏Prayers to all in need and ONLY 87° for today's high.

Katie

funny-marie-kondo-konmari-method-memes-2-5c5aa35e0e3ac__700.jpg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Good morning all!

Another beautiful day in the PNW heading for the mid 70's F.  

I've never known anyone with 2 different colored eyes, my life is usually pretty simple since retirement, the meal looks great (I would omit the olives though).  I'd like to try the Riesling, but usually I prefer it in the mid range between dry and sweet.

Pecan pie is probably the only pie I don't care for -- since becoming diabetic I've found over the years that extra sweet things just don't appeal to me -- probably a good thing! My body seems to know.  Never cared for pecans either but my Southern in-laws and DH of course love the pie and the nut.

I've never been to Ravenna -- although one cruise was supposed to go there and had a substitute port instead.  Thank you to all who are posting photos.  BTW, it was mentioned that Ravenna is being substituted for Venice -- is that definite?  Our cruise in the fall has 2 days in Venice and ends in Venice -- our flight home is booked through HAL, but it sounds like it could be a problem.  Haven't heard anything from HAL about changes...

@smitty34877Camilla is adorable, thank you for sharing your photos!

@mamaofamihow awful about the aide -- it sounds like things deteriorated kind of quickly 😞  It reminded me of some problems we had with live-in aides for my Dad.  I hope the new aide will be much better!

• Like 14