Silver Dawn maiden voyage now Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale

WesW

Just found out the Nov 9th Silver Dawn voyage from Barcelona to Lisbon won't sail.

The first Silver Dawn voyage will be Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale; happy we had booked this segment too,

but sad many of us so looking forward to boarding in Barcelona won't.

Sorry, but you have the other half of the cruise.  We had a b2b canceled (the other line you cruise), couldn’t really find anything like the one canceled—but did find one on Silverseas- so we’ll be doing are first Cruise on them.  Thing it should be nice.  But for you guy’s happy cruising, we don’t go till later….guess better safe than sorry later.

• Like 1

Hi Wes,

Do you know why?

If there is some risk that our Lisbon to Lauderdale leg may not sail exactly on the expected dates, I’ll be cancelling.  

(Yes, I know there’s always a chance of change, it’s a question of degree)

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

Hi Jolly,

No, don't know why.

Found out when I posted on SS FB passengers page that today Ressie's were now available.  Another FB poster (who I have realized from his previous Regent CC board posts,  has clout with Regent and SS leadership) posted that this sailing would not happen.

I verified w/my SS sources (who did not know but verified that yes Barcelona to Lisbon would not happen)

My Silversea sources did verify the first sailing would be Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale, and then Ft. Lauderdale to Lima (working with my TA to book this). Paolo today  (HD for the Silver Dawn, now at Fincantieri did not confirm or deny the Dawn build tardiness, but did say he looked forward to seeing Ida and I in Lisbon).

Fingers and Toes crossed that our crossing goes, I spent at least an hour dealing with hotel and flight cancellations due to this Barca to Lis canx.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Wes. 
Now to try and decide what to do. 
On the one hand a new ship. If she’s finished, she should be amazing. I’d love to sail on her. 
On the other, if she’s not properly ready, we’re stuck with any problems all the way across the Atlantic. 
And there’s so much uncertainty already associated with travel across international borders, I’m not sure I can handle uncertainty about the ship being ready as well. I definitely can’t handle any delay in the sailing date, I have other commitments in December. 
Hmmmmmmm…

• Like 1

Great Charles; will be wonderful to cruise with Elaine and you again.  Tho, trying to disembark in Panama City vs. Lima.

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, WesW said:

Just found out the Nov 9th Silver Dawn voyage from Barcelona to Lisbon won't sail.

The first Silver Dawn voyage will be Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale; happy we had booked this segment too,

but sad many of us so looking forward to boarding in Barcelona won't.

Sorry to hear that Wes.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jollyjones said:

On the other, if she’s not properly ready, we’re stuck with any problems all the way across the Atlantic.

If past action is any indication of future behavior, then I think you know the answer to your concern.  And, it’s a very, very valid concern.

Think of all of the times a new SS ship came online, or returned to service from dry dock, with dozens of workers milling around frantically trying to finish work on Mediterranean or transoceanic voyages.  If not, just go back and look at the issues on Silver Muse and Silver Spirit.  Also, don’t forget the fiasco of Silver Cloud’s conversion to an expedition ship, whereby they worked on the ship non-stop to Buenos Aires.  And, after all of the pomp and circumstance with Manfredi in Buenos Aires, even all the construction action while sailing couldn’t overcome the need SS had to cancel the first voyage in the middle of the cruise after she had left Buenos Aires and sailed quite some distance along the South American coast.

If I remember correctly, even the Silver Shadow wasn’t completely finished on that first voyage back to sea with paying passengers after the complete redesign of deck 5 public spaces and the addition of Arts Cafe, but I could be wrong.

If there is one lesson I’ve learned here in the SS forum over the years, it’s to never ever sail on at least the first few voyages.  They are a recipe, and have a higher likelihood, for an unpleasant cruise.

• Like 4

On SS website the Barcelona to Lisbon leg is still showing with a departure date November 9. I am on the FLL LIM departing December 2. I really hope it will sail but do not feel particularly excited being on the almost inaugural cruise due to the potential issues that could happen. 

• Like 1

Hi Stumbles,

The best my TA could get out of SS was the usual “if we cancel, you’ll be the first to know “ which is completely useless without a timeframe. I don’t want to get to, say, October and suddenly find the cruise has changed. 
It’s not even true - many are the significant changes I’ve picked up myself from other sources long, long before SS admits to them. (For this particular info thanks a million, Wes!)

So I’ve decided to move to a different cruise on a ship that actually exists so that all the necessary peri-cruise arrangements are less likely to be in vain. Being retired, I have plenty of time but I still don’t like it being wasted. 

Thanks for reinforcing what I knew (reluctantly) to be the right decision, Stumbles - hope we can bump into each other in person again sometime soon. 

B

PS I’m already booked for Alaska on the Muse in August so there is cruising coming soon on my event horizon!

Edited by jollyjones
  • Like 1

Your welcome Jolly, and understand your concern about sailing on the maiden voyage.

Can only related my experience sailing on the Spirit's maiden crossing (actually second voyage after a brief Med cruise)  from Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale in January 2010.  We even encountered 75 mph winds and 35 feet seas on departing Lisbon to Funchal.  The Spirit sailed wonderfully, Dougburns who has 2500 days at sea from his US Navy career of nearly three decades, said (IMO correctly) the Silver Spirit sailed more smoothly/stable than any ship he had been on.  We crossed without a problem (probably primarily due to the outstanding seamanship of the Spirit's master, Captain Angelo Corsaro).

So, for us, we anxiously await the Silver Dawn's maiden voyage. 

Edited by WesW
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jollyjones said:

So I’ve decided to move to a different cruise on a ship that actually exists so that all the necessary peri-cruise arrangements are less likely to be in vain. Being retired, I have plenty of time but I still don’t like it being wasted. 

Totally understand your thoughts on time.  I think you’ve made the right decision. 

Thanks for reinforcing what I knew (reluctantly) to be the right decision, Stumbles - hope we can bump into each other in person again sometime soon. 

You’re welcome.  As I was writing my reply, I kept thinking, I really hope I don’t tick off Jolly.  So, thanks for taking it in the friendly vein in which it was written.  I too hope our paths cross again aboard a SS ship.

PS I’m already booked for Alaska on the Muse in August so there is cruising coming soon on my event horizon!

Super excited to learn of this news!  Hope you have a great time.

On 7/13/2021 at 7:04 PM, WesW said:

Your welcome Jolly, and understand your concern about sailing on the maiden voyage.

Can only related my experience sailing on the Spirit's maiden crossing (actually second voyage after a brief Med cruise)  from Lisbon to Ft. Lauderdale in January 2010.  We even encountered 75 mph winds and 35 feet seas on departing Lisbon to Funchal.  The Spirit sailed wonderfully, Dougburns who has 2500 days at sea from his US Navy career of nearly three decades, said (IMO correctly) the Silver Spirit sailed more smoothly/stable than any ship he had been on.  We crossed without a problem (probably primarily due to the outstanding seamanship of the Spirit's master, Captain Angelo Corsaro).

So, for us, we anxiously await the Silver Dawn's maiden voyage. 

Hi Wes,

Long time no speak.

I have had my Seabourn Ovation July 31st trip cancelled due to the lawyers getting cold feet about the UK government website that suggests that UK Nationals do not take cruises in International waters.

I immediately decided to see if Silversea would be ok with the issue and my TA contacted them and they said that they had no issue and would not be changing anything.

I am now joining Silver Moon on July 28th and staying on for twenty days.

I  have not sailed with Silversea for a long time now and am looking forward to being on the Silver Moon.

Hope you and Ida have a great time on the Dawn

• Like 1

Hi Mr. Luxury, AKA my London trivia winner from years ago 🙂

Hope you have a blast on the Silver Moon.  Look forward to reading your Silver Dawn impressions and about your visits to Greece.  

To allow for more certainty (considering a shipyard delay canceled my Barcelona to Lisbon Dawn voyage) we are now booked on the Spirit (me from Barcelona to Lisbon) and Ida joins me in Lisbon for the crossing.  Tho, we have over 100 days cruised on the Spirit, we have yet to cruise on the stretched Spirit.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:53 PM, SSCAF001 said:

On SS website the Barcelona to Lisbon leg is still showing with a departure date November 9. I am on the FLL LIM departing December 2. I really hope it will sail but do not feel particularly excited being on the almost inaugural cruise due to the potential issues that could happen. 

I'm on the second FLL to LIM on 3 Jan and whilst excited about the prospect of that itinerary and new ship, I just can't see there is a hope in hell it will sail.

I see that Lisbon is now showing as the first sailing as Wes has said and hopefully that will still happen. I just feel certain (unfortunately) that South America wont happen and the Dawns maiden season will be in the Caribbean. It'll be the 3rd cancellation by SS for this booking "when" it happens. An announcement is due soon allegedly.

9 hours ago, les37b said:

I'm on the second FLL to LIM on 3 Jan and whilst excited about the prospect of that itinerary and new ship, I just can't see there is a hope in hell it will sail.

I see that Lisbon is now showing as the first sailing as Wes has said and hopefully that will still happen. I just feel certain (unfortunately) that South America wont happen and the Dawns maiden season will be in the Caribbean. It'll be the 3rd cancellation by SS for this booking "when" it happens. An announcement is due soon allegedly.

OK now I'm panicking! I've booked my entire family on the holiday Lima-Ft Lauderdale cruise on the Dawn and we are all so excited about it. There was no indication from the onboard booking consultant on the Moon (I booked during our Greece cruise a few weeks ago) that cancellation was even a possibility. We did discuss the possibility of the Muse spending the holidays in the Caribbean as Australia is unlikely to open by then, but nothing about South America being in jeopardy. How certain is your information that an announcement is forthcoming? Oh, we will be so disappointed if this happens...😔

I would just love to know one way or another.

This thread was started on July 12. @WesW was the same day you received notice? It looks like it was exactly 120 days before sailing, so that would imply that we would know by Thursday the 22nd.

Edited by wine-wine-wine
adding eta of cancellation

On 7/18/2021 at 12:15 PM, Mr Luxury said:

Hi Wes,

Long time no speak.

I have had my Seabourn Ovation July 31st trip cancelled due to the lawyers getting cold feet about the UK government website that suggests that UK Nationals do not take cruises in International waters.

I immediately decided to see if Silversea would be ok with the issue and my TA contacted them and they said that they had no issue and would not be changing anything.

I am now joining Silver Moon on July 28th and staying on for twenty days.

I  have not sailed with Silversea for a long time now and am looking forward to being on the Silver Moon.

Hope you and Ida have a great time on the Dawn

Hi, I just returned home from sailing Moon........hope you have a wonderful time🙂....would love to go back with you😃

On 7/19/2021 at 11:32 AM, les37b said:

We had a reservation from LIM to FLL over Christmas/NY on the Dawn and I got rather anxious that it would be cancelled due to the rise in COVID cases in Peru, so switched to the Moon from HKG to SIN which is now looking very doubtful due to the restrictions on incoming passengers. I’m therefore trying to second guess the alternative option that we can travel to over the same period on either the Dawn or the Moon, as we are keen to try one of the new ships after spending a couple of wonderful cruises on the Muse. 

I do understand that there is no definitive answer, but we are so looking forward to getting away and I know that so many of you are probably facing similar dilemmas. 

On 7/19/2021 at 10:58 AM, wine-wine-wine said:

I would just love to know one way or another.

This thread was started on July 12. @WesW was the same day you received notice? It looks like it was exactly 120 days before sailing, so that would imply that we would know by Thursday the 22nd.

This prediction turns out to be wrong (at least so far). Dining reservations are now open. Crossing fingers!

3 hours ago, Doolz said:

We had a reservation from LIM to FLL over Christmas/NY on the Dawn and I got rather anxious that it would be cancelled due to the rise in COVID cases in Peru, so switched to the Moon from HKG to SIN which is now looking very doubtful due to the restrictions on incoming passengers. I’m therefore trying to second guess the alternative option that we can travel to over the same period on either the Dawn or the Moon, as we are keen to try one of the new ships after spending a couple of wonderful cruises on the Muse. 

I do understand that there is no definitive answer, but we are so looking forward to getting away and I know that so many of you are probably facing similar dilemmas. 

We are on Thanksgiving Dubai to Mumbai and I doubt we are all going to India, but the ship has to go somewhere. I don't care where we go, so I just paid in full. Maybe we will go to the Twilight Zone- how exciting!!

• Like 1