New MDR Breakfast and Lunch Offerings

GoHoward

In checking the Navigator app for our upcoming Alaska cruise (7/24) I found that it lists breakfast and lunch menus for the MDR (no dinner menu yet). I'm assuming the menus are placeholders and will be updated, but it looks like the lunch offerings have been reorganized around "Small Plates" and "Large Plates," meatless options from BeyondMeat are now on offer, and the Culinary Council's newest member Kristen Kish is debuting new dishes for both breakfast and lunch...looking forward to tasting her creations on board!

IMG_2185.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GoHoward said:

In checking the Navigator app for our upcoming Alaska cruise (7/24) I found that it lists breakfast and lunch menus for the MDR (no dinner menu yet). I'm assuming the menus are placeholders and will be updated, but it looks like the lunch offerings have been reorganized around "Small Plates" and "Large Plates," meatless options from BeyondMeat are now on offer, and the Culinary Council's newest member Kristen Kish is debuting new dishes for both breakfast and lunch...looking forward to tasting her creations on board!

IMG_2185.jpeg

IMG_2183.jpeg

IMG_2184.jpeg

Thanks for sharing..

The lunch menu looks like more of a brunch menu to me.  I wonder if HAL is introducing a seaday brunch much like Carnival has?  On those days the MDR doesn't serve breakfast or lunch, they serve brunch.  It's very popular.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Roz said:

The lunch menu looks like more of a brunch menu to me.  I wonder if HAL is introducing a seaday brunch much like Carnival has?  On those days the MDR doesn't serve breakfast or lunch, they serve brunch.  It's very popular.

That certainly makes more sense than eliminating pancakes, bacon, eggs Benedict and other traditional breakfast offerings.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Roz said:

@Himself, it looks to me as though what's showing is only one page of the breakfast menu.  I'm sure they will offer pancakes, eggs, breakfast meats, omelets, etc.

Yes - the first screenshot posted is one page from the breakfast menu - the rest of the menu was unchanged and has the standard breakfast offerings. The second and third screenshots are listed as "lunch" in the Navigator app, but do look to be more brunch than lunch. It will be interesting to see how these menus reflect what we find onboard next week.

• Like 3

Maybe one of the good things to come out of "the pause" is it gave the cruise lines a chance to revise and revamp things like the menus.

Edited by Roz
  • Like 4

I hate to see prices on cruise line menus. I assume the waiters will be asked to push the indulge items and then I can cool my heels while some guy tries to find his cruise card to pay for the same. Do they add 18% gratuity to the indulge items?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, whogo said:

I hate to see prices on cruise line menus. I assume the waiters will be asked to push the indulge items and then I can cool my heels while some guy tries to find his cruise card to pay for the same. Do they add 18% gratuity to the indulge items?

I believe so from the wording of the new Crew Incentive.  

2 hours ago, GoHoward said:

Yes - the first screenshot posted is one page from the breakfast menu - the rest of the menu was unchanged and has the standard breakfast offerings. The second and third screenshots are listed as "lunch" in the Navigator app, but do look to be more brunch than lunch. It will be interesting to see how these menus reflect what we find onboard next week.

So the breakfast menu still include the Asian and Indian items?  Those are my favorites.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, whogo said:

I've never had waiters "push" the extra charge items on the dinner menu.  If someone wants an extra charge item at breakfast, I don't think it would take anymore time than it does now if someone wants a mimosa or a bloody Mary and has to pull out their key card.  Maybe there's something I'm missing.

2 hours ago, colonialinnkeeper said:

Father, I would guess that that is just a partial listing for breakfast foods.

Let's hope so and let's get this confirmed quickly......Showing me a breakfast menu with no bacon is not good......means the world is truly ending.  We must have bacon.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Roz said:

I've never had waiters "push" the extra charge items on the dinner menu. 

Nor have I.  And, would be a bit offended if such took place.

10 hours ago, Roz said:

Maybe one of the good things to come out of "the pause" is it gave the cruise lines a chance to revise and revamp things like the menus.

It is high time for this to happen.  Much of what HAL has offered on their menus have been quite good with some "extra added attractions" from time to time.  But, additional creativity, along with providing the "Always Available" is overdue.  

19 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Kristin Kish is a favorite of mine

And she is who?  And why should I be pleased that she has joined the Culinary Council?  I am been mostly unimpressed by the recipes that many of these "august" Chefs who have been added to the hierarchy of the Culinary Departments of HAL and Princess.  Chef Sodamin is an exception to my statement.  Sel de Mer is a gastronomical delight and is close as one is going to get to superior dining at sea.  My dining experiences in the Yacht Club Restaurant on MSC Meraviglia were, at times, did not meet my experiences at Sel de Mer:  stand alone or pop-up.