New MDR Breakfast and Lunch Offerings

GoHoward

1 hour ago, Crew News said:

The Embarkation Day lunch has varied very little over the past few years.

They need to do something about that.

As long as I can get my beloved raisin bun in either the MDR or the Lido, I'll be happy.  Mon petit raisin bun, je t'amour. 😍

• Like 1

We love the new creative vegetarian offerings. Beyond Meat does offer a decent alternative to the typical burger. Considering sodium levels, our favorite would probably still be the portobello mushroom burger with fresh avocado slices offered at Dive-In.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

The photo above represents one version of Aloo Masala  HAL ships make it many ways.  The Westerdam did the best under a certain Indian Exc Chef.  Served with a deep fried puffy dough (rava dosa) and a flour paratha (tortilla-like) and some sides depending on the ship, it is a very good breakfast.

Edited by SilvertoGold

21 hours ago, Roz said:

They need to do something about that.

As long as I can get my beloved raisin bun in either the MDR or the Lido, I'll be happy.  

The Embarkation Menu has changed during my recent embarkations.  And, I think it is better.  Now, let's not talk about the promptness of the service, however.

Raisin Bun?  One cannot sail on a HAL ship without that bread!  

An experience on the Westerdam in 2019 en route to Alaska.  First morning's breakfast in the MDR, (this was the era when the usual presentation of the pastry tray was not done) I asked for a specific pastry.  My Steward apologized, he didn't have it.  But, he sent his Assistant to the Lido where it was available.  I was presented with a bread basket full of the pastry.  That's excellent service!  

• Like 2

On 7/14/2021 at 4:27 AM, syesmar said:

Refresh my memory on the “daily special” at breakfast. All this food talk is making me hungry😉

Just ‘routine’ leftovers used by the wonderful chef's aboard.

For example, following Gala nights, crab, lobster, other featured items that were defrosted (and not ordered) would be used for DR breakfast specials (and in the Lido until the ingredients were used up) in omelets, Benedict’s, etc.

Specials would also include sausages with eggs of choice (prepared to preference), waffles and pancakes with off menu fresh fruit sauces, etc.

It made perfect sense to me. And all the specials (BTW, I didn’t order specials all the time depending on the offering). If I recall, most we’re very tasteful  (and others not so much). But, it’s the adventure, no?

No big secret actually. We had wonderful servers that I trusted implicitly and they gave me their input regarding items/ orders for both for breakfast and the options on the dinner menu.

In fact, after several nights when the good server folks knew my ‘tastes’ (I’m a fish, well prepared beef & vegetarian guy) I would not look at the menu and just have ‘our’ server friend(s) order for me.

It’s just me. I’ve never ‘starved’ on a cruise ship.

Enjoy your voyage & be well.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for sharing the menus for my favorite meal of the day and one I only partake in when I cruise.   To play the devil's advocate - I like seeing the paid options on the menu.  Forgive but I think the proliferation of various restaurants has detracted from the MDR service.  There are only so many people they are hiring for restaurant and the more restaurants the thinner they are spread.  I would rather all served dining be in one location with perhaps a single separate banquet/special occasion facility.  

Specialty restaurants have become like dandelions in an unkept lawn.  

11 hours ago, prescottbob said:

Just ‘routine’ leftovers used by the wonderful chef's aboard.

For example, following Gala nights, crab, lobster, other featured items that were defrosted (and not ordered) would be used for DR breakfast specials (and in the Lido until the ingredients were used up) in omelets, Benedict’s, etc.

Specials would also include sausages with eggs of choice (prepared to preference), waffles and pancakes with off menu fresh fruit sauces, etc...

Enjoy your voyage & be well.

Bob

Thanks for the info! For the first couple years, we did room service for breakfast. Now we do the Lido for all days, occasionally I’ll eat in the MDR, so I wasn’t familiar with this at breakfast. Sounds good! I sure miss HAL!

I keep expecting every year cruise lines to begin charging everything a la carte with maybe a "special of the day" prix fixe.  They seem to be slowly implementing it through specialty restaurants and creeping extra fees everywhere else.

2 hours ago, Woofbite said:

I keep expecting every year cruise lines to begin charging everything a la carte with maybe a "special of the day" prix fixe.  They seem to be slowly implementing it through specialty restaurants and creeping extra fees everywhere else. 

This has been mentioned before, but I don't think it's practical when trying to take orders and serve thousands at one time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Woofbite said:

I keep expecting every year cruise lines to begin charging everything a la carte with maybe a "special of the day" prix fixe

I don't see ala carte pricing happening in a significant way.  On some ships, there are options to order, for a fee, "special items from the ship's specialty restaurants".  No data has ever been reported about how "popular" such is.  Personally, I doubt that such an option is frequently used by guests.  Guests wanting such an experience--and willing to pay for it--will book the specialty restaurant, in my opinion.

Prix fixe?  That all ready exists in the form of the special dinners, i.e. Cellar Master's Dinner, Chef's Table, etc.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Never had one! Are they good?🤔

3 hours ago, Roz said:

If you like raisins. 😎  Must have with butter.

Roz is right.  My problem is that there are so many other pastries and breads for breakfast that are so good.  I am a croissant fan and, usually--not always--but usually--the bakers get the recipe just right.  They are a buttery delight.  

And, then there are the Cinnamon Rolls.......

The Navigator app now has an MDR dinner menu available for our upcoming cruise. I’m assuming this is also a sample menu…and I hope so, because while the breakfast and lunch menus look great, this menu looks rather sparse and unremarkable. And in need of a few edits…before someone orders the “Corn Soup Soup”

D2EBE9EE-4DC3-426B-BFAC-7AED6DB87D4D.jpeg

43BCF0F1-6BE0-49D1-A69C-ECB49E8481FD.jpeg

• Haha 1

Geez,

I just went to the start of the original post and looked at the menus posted.

To me, it appears as the more recent menus (2018-2019) menus are simply  rewritten without the All American, British, Asian, etc. options / suggested complete order(s) provided on earlier breakfast menus of past years.

No worries. Order whatever “floats your boat”, aka, provides you with only the best morning energy nutrients for you to make it thru another ‘exhausting cruise ship’ early AM activity schedule(s)

Fortunately, nutrients in the Lido will become available around 1100 hours and around noon in the MDR.

If all else fails, room service is just a phone call chat away (BTW, you’re able to order “off menu” with those good folks also, this option has always been available in the past for us during many cruises but that might change too.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1

Excited to see the newer menus, lots of things I’d like to try. My husband and I always do the MDR for breakfast (or the Pinnacle if we are lucky enough to be in a NS). I just don’t enjoy the hustle of the Lido for breakfast. I love being served 😉 my coffee and maybe a chocolate croissant. I will say that no DR waiter has ever served me my requested 2 slices of bacon for breakfast. Either they or the kitchen staff think I look more like a 4 slices of bacon kind of woman.

My DDs are vegetarians (actually pescatarians) so these menu changes will make them very happy.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

20 hours ago, GoHoward said:

it looks like the Dive In menu has been updated

Yes, it has been updated and the new options sound good.

21 hours ago, GoHoward said:

I’m assuming this is also a sample menu…and I hope so, because while the breakfast and lunch menus look great, this menu looks rather sparse and unremarkable.

That menu is the most disappointing menu to read that I have ever done.  Pasta?  OK.  Of what type?  Minimal dessert selections:  two very standard choices of ice cream.  Did someone forget to order Chocolate?  Corn Soup Soup?  Is this served with a wide straw?  Just another example of a HAL IT Department--PR Department flub.  

22 hours ago, GoHoward said:

The Navigator app now has an MDR dinner menu available for our upcoming cruise. I’m assuming this is also a sample menu…and I hope so, because while the breakfast and lunch menus look great, this menu looks rather sparse and unremarkable. And in need of a few edits…before someone orders the “Corn Soup Soup”

D2EBE9EE-4DC3-426B-BFAC-7AED6DB87D4D.jpeg

43BCF0F1-6BE0-49D1-A69C-ECB49E8481FD.jpeg

As a HAL menu collector, this is the first time I have seen an MDR menu published by HAL.   Since the menus change every day of a cruise, this appears to be a space holder for the real menus which are far more robust. One page of all MDR menus is for "Available Daily" which is not included with this sample. 

FWIW all Alaska 7-day menus are the same for the entire season.  The Caribbean has a Series A and B menus for 7-day cruises because there are so many B2B passengers that may prefer variety.  The latter are also the same for the entire season.  There is a separate menu series for 11 and 10 day cruises in the Caribbean that differ by the removal of Day 9 from the 11-day series.

Of course we can expect changes and the experience of those heading for Alaska will give us a hint of them for the winter season.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Crew News said:

As a HAL menu collector, this is the first time I have seen an MDR menu published by HAL.   Since the menus change every day of a cruise, this appears to be a space holder for the real menus which are far more robust. One page of all MDR menus is for "Available Daily" which is not included with this sample. 

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Just another example of a HAL IT Department--PR Department flub.

Well, no sooner had I read (and chuckled) at your spot-on comments…then I give the ol’ Navigator a quick glance and discover the dinner menu has been updated. This looks more like I would expect, though the ever-lengthening list of items available at an up charge is longer than I would prefer.

73EFEFCF-4B21-4630-B771-24C89C4686FE.jpeg

70E41012-B6CF-4B24-AB26-2E37ACD1CBCF.jpeg

Edited by GoHoward
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, GoHoward said:

Well, no sooner had I read (and chuckled) at your spot-on comments…then I give the ol’ Navigator a quick glance and discover the dinner menu has been updated. This looks more like I would expect, though the ever-lengthening list of items available at an up charge is longer than I would prefer.

73EFEFCF-4B21-4630-B771-24C89C4686FE.jpeg

70E41012-B6CF-4B24-AB26-2E37ACD1CBCF.jpeg

Getting better now.  From last year, HAL added shrimp cocktail, filet Mignon, and Delmonico steak but deleted the rib eye steak from the MDR extra charge list.

FWIW the Tomahawk steak will feed up to four people.  The Hotel Director shared one with me on the Koningsdam a few years ago. Could not finish it with two of us.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2409.jpg

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ms-konigsdam-dining-options/IMG_2412.jpg

• Like 2