Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

6 hours ago, bcwife76 said:

Thanks , the story I post was updated Sept 29 at 2 pm , 

amazing how you think you can be updated but still be behind the times 😉

15 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Separate from what the cruise line requires is what individual countries will accept. Not all countries accept Covishield, so make sure that any country you want to visit does accept it. (I know there is a website with a list of countries that do, but I can’t search for it right now.)

This website https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/ (run my McGill) shows which vaccines have been approved for domestic use in which country; which is quite a different thing than what is approved by that country for "You are vaccinated". 

For example, the US CDC approve the 'WHO 6'  (Moderna, Pfizer, AZ/Covishield, Jannsen, SinoVac, SinoPharm), for "You are Vaccinated"; however the USA FDA only approve three (not AZ,SinoVac,SinoPharm) for domestic use.

Most countries approve the 'WHO 6" however there are some oddities.  For example, St Lucia doesn't approve Sinovac, but does approve Sputnik V, Abdala and Covaxin.  I know there are a couple of European countries still waffling on SII/Covishield vs AZ, but that will change quickly I think.  However, it's relatively easy to visit the countries website for entrance requirements.

Just published in the Globe and Mail:

The Public Health Agency of Canada says it’s working with other governments still dubious about allowing Canadians with mixed vaccines to travel across their borders without quarantining.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canada-sharing-data-with-countries-who-dont-accept-mixed-dose/

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Just published in the Globe and Mail:

The Public Health Agency of Canada says it’s working with other governments still dubious about allowing Canadians with mixed vaccines to travel across their borders without quarantining.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-canada-sharing-data-with-countries-who-dont-accept-mixed-dose/

It's behind a paywall but thank you for posting and I'm glad there are discussions going on.

27 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

It's behind a paywall but thank you for posting and I'm glad there are discussions going on.

Globe and Mail -- Oct 4, 2021

ADRIAN WYLD/THE CANADIAN PRESS

Several countries, including the United States, only recognize people with two identical doses of an approved vaccine as being fully vaccinated.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, says PHAC has presented data on the effectiveness of mixed doses to the U.S. and other top-priority destinations.

She says Canada has been particularly active in spreading information about the effectiveness of mixing Oxford-AstraZeneca with mRNA vaccines such as Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Many countries don’t have domestically generated data on that front, so Canada is working to help them make decisions about their own tourist regulations.

The federal government is expected to release more details about a standardized vaccine passport for Canadians in the coming weeks.

Edited by lots-of-km2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Several countries, including the United States, only recognize people with two identical doses of an approved vaccine as being fully vaccinated.

Dr. Theresa Tam, Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer, says PHAC has presented data on the effectiveness of mixed doses to the U.S. and other top-priority destinations.

She says Canada has been particularly active in spreading information about the effectiveness of mixing Oxford-AstraZeneca with mRNA vaccines such as Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna.

Many countries don’t have domestically generated data on that front, so Canada is working to help them make decisions about their own tourist regulations.

The federal government is expected to release more details about a standardized vaccine passport for Canadians in the coming weeks.

I am still not sure if the US will accept a Pfizer/Moderna mix  The CDC state the mix is acceptable under  "exceptional situations," such as when the vaccine used for the first dose was no longer available.  Not sure if this is the norm or the  boarder guards looks at it on a one on one basis. Like to know if anyone has crossed the border lately with a mRNA mix. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, armwinder said:

I am still not sure if the US will accept a Pfizer/Moderna mix  The CDC state the mix is acceptable under  "exceptional situations," such as when the vaccine used for the first dose was no longer available.  Not sure if this is the norm or the  boarder guards looks at it on a one on one basis. Like to know if anyone has crossed the border lately with a mRNA mix. 

CDC says when mixed mRNA vaccinations occur they are considered full vaccinations. In the US mixed mRNA vaccinations do occur in exceptional circumstances, most often human error.

I believe major cruise lines accept mixed mRNA vaccinations. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Yeah, we’ve heard this same talking point for 6 months.

I thought I would reach out to Celebrity and also get something in writing in regards to a person who had a covishield and then an  astrazeneca shot.  While I have been told by Celebrity that it is recognized as being the same, thought it was best to get it documented.  I used the chat function so I could record the response.  Here was their response:

The guest can have two doses of the following in this situation (this is not to the exclusion of the other brands in the chart), just to add clarity for AstraZeneca and Covishield:

Two Astra Zeneca
Two Astra Zeneca Covishield
Two Covishield
It has to be two of the same product. AstraZeneca Covishield is a product and Covishield alone is a product.

The response was not what I expected...

I dont understand why they differentiate between Astrazeneca, Astrazenec Covishield and Covishield???

I got to assume this is wrong, but thought I would give a heads up...

Dr. Tam had a press conference today.  The question of mixed vaccines came up and she said the efficacy of the mixed vaccine was better than two AZ doses.  She has provided the data to the CDC.  Hopefully, they will agree!

The US will have to decide soon on what the rules will be to be fully vaccinated as they said the border is opening early November for fully vaccinated people.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tert333 said:

I thought I would reach out to Celebrity and also get something in writing in regards to a person who had a covishield and then an  astrazeneca shot.  While I have been told by Celebrity that it is recognized as being the same, thought it was best to get it documented.  I used the chat function so I could record the response.  Here was their response:

The guest can have two doses of the following in this situation (this is not to the exclusion of the other brands in the chart), just to add clarity for AstraZeneca and Covishield:

Two Astra Zeneca
Two Astra Zeneca Covishield
Two Covishield
It has to be two of the same product. AstraZeneca Covishield is a product and Covishield alone is a product.

The response was not what I expected...

I dont understand why they differentiate between Astrazeneca, Astrazenec Covishield and Covishield???

I got to assume this is wrong, but thought I would give a heads up...

The only way her wording makes sense is if there's a + or & missing 

Two (Astra Zeneca)
Two (Astra Zeneca + Covishield)
Two (Covishield)

I'll call again tomorrow and get yet further clarification.  I do have an email from Celebrity confirming that they consider them one and the same.

Edited by scottbee
Add clarification

5 hours ago, hubbards said:

If you go on the WHO website that outlines approved vaccines, it provides the answer to the mystery.

A5FE7C83-7F77-47FC-97B2-1CE6A5F81B7A.png

Yes, some places (the site you've linked above is McGill University in Montreal https://covid19.trackvaccines.org/agency/who/ ) call it seven, some (US CDC https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/clinical-considerations/covid-19-vaccines-us.html) call it six. 

As of August 31, 2021, WHO has listed the following COVID-19 vaccines for emergency use:

Pfizer-BioNTech COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., COMIRNATY, Tozinameran)
    AstraZeneca-Oxford COVID-19 vaccines (e.g., Covishield, Vaxzevria)
    Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) COVID-19 vaccine
    Moderna COVID-19 vaccine
    Sinopharm BIBP COVID-19 vaccine
    Sinovac-CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccine

Given the Cruise lines have to follow CDC guidelines (who consider two of the WHO vaccines the same), and not WHO directly, I'm hopeful

OK, Further reading...  On the [late] afternoon of Friday Oct 8th the CDC talked to the press (however I can't find an official press release), saying;

A CDC spokeswoman told Reuters Friday, “Six vaccines that are FDA authorized/approved or listed for emergency use by WHO will meet the criteria for travel to the U.S.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-travel-vaccines-idAFKBN2GY2DJ

By saying six (and not seven), they're implying that they consider

AZD1222 manufactured by Oxford/AstraZeneca called Vaxzevria, and;

AZD1222 manufactured by Serum Institute of India (SII) called Covishield;

to be the same thing. 

However, a single sentence confirming that, from damn near anyone would make me a lot happier right now

Here is a document from the WHO that states that the that the two products are the same and are interchangeable.

https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/343388/WHO-2019-nCoV-vaccines-SAGE-recommendation-AZD1222-2021.3-eng.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Interchangeability with other COVID-19 vaccines
All ChAdOx1-S [recombinant] products covered by this recommendation (AstraZeneca COVID-19 AZD1222 - Vaxzevria, SII COVISHIELD™) are considered equivalent and interchangeable for both ChAdOx1-S [recombinant] doses.

I have been told verbally earlier that they are considered the same by Celebrity.   However, this last conversation threw me off. 

The Celebrity website adds more confusion as it implies they are the same and then contradicts themselves by listing the Covishield vaccine separately.   If you notice, there is an asterisk beside the two, with no further discussion on what the asterisk means...

https://www.celebritycruises.com/content/dam/celebrity/miscellaneous/accepted-vaccinations-chart.png

So my Ontario Ministry of Health proof of vaccination states I have received 2 valid doses of:  AstraZeneca Covid 19 Vaccine - but does not say which 'type' it is?  Will this be a problem?  Will they just ask me which type?  Most confusing!

On 7/16/2021 at 10:50 AM, Rockit said:

I had the “mixed vaccine” and hoping that  this will be clarifies by the end of the year. If not, I will have to cancel a cruise. Glad I checked the website of the Cruiseline as a result of this post!

Cheers

I have Pfizer/Moderna mix. I'm hoping the CDC will change their policy and accept it as being fully vaccinated if they impose a mandatory vaccine for entry into the USA. My cruise is in Feb, but final payment is in November. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mikenbon said:

I have Pfizer/Moderna mix. I'm hoping the CDC will change their policy and accept it as being fully vaccinated if they impose a mandatory vaccine for entry into the USA. My cruise is in Feb, but final payment is in November. 

CDC has accepted mixed mRNA vaccinations for several months. There is no reason to suspect that it might reverse this policy.

However some cruise lines have been rather slow in adopting the CDC finding.

• Like 2