Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

Hasn't this already been said over and over again.

The CDC recognizes Pfizer/Moderna mix as being fully vaccinated.

Cruiselines recognize Pifzer/Moderna mix as being fully vaccinated.

When the rules come out for traveling to the U.S. Pfizer/Moderna mix will be recognized as being fully vaccinated.

The CDC has confirmed that. Cruiselines have confirmed that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hancogran said:

If you end up receiving doses of two different COVID-19 vaccines, then you are considered fully immunized and don't need any additional vaccinations."

Oops….Not quite.  You received an approved combination of two approved vaccines.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hancogran said:

Strange! I think I've posted this before in this forum but this is my experience with the CDC.

I emailed CDC back on August 20th explaining that we were Pfizer/Moderna mixed and also gave them the dates of each shot.  I received a lengthy email back but the main point was that WE ARE considered fully vaccinated.  I can post the entire email if you like but here's the part that answered my question. 

"If you do not remember which COVID-19 vaccine you received as your first dose, check the information on your vaccination record card. If you cannot find your card, please contact your vaccination provider. COVID-19 vaccination providers must document which vaccine you received in their medical record systems and the jurisdiction's immunization reporting system.

If you end up receiving doses of two different COVID-19 vaccines, then you are considered fully immunized and don't need any additional vaccinations."

I suspect that had you received a mixed AstraZeneca - mRNA vaccination, the response from the CDC might have been different.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I suspect that had you received a mixed AstraZeneca - mRNA vaccination, the response from the CDC might have been different.

I'm sure the CDC response would definitely be different if that were the case.   My post was a reply to someone who had posted they'd received a totally different answer from CDC concerning mixed mrna vaccines.  (posts #376 & #378)     

• Like 2

14 hours ago, gnome12 said:

The problem is that the one document does NOT list both dates, and that is frequently what they are looking for.

....even if the document says you have received TWO valid doses?  and yes only the date of the second dose is listed on the OMH document, but it does confirm two doses were administered., why do they need to see date of first dose?  

14 minutes ago, Froufie said:

....even if the document says you have received TWO valid doses?  and yes only the date of the second dose is listed on the OMH document, but it does confirm two doses were administered., why do they need to see date of first dose?  

If you had your first dose in January and your second dose in October, you may not be considered to be fully vaccinated. And by not showing both, they have no idea whether you have a mixed dose vaccination, and if so, whether it is one deemed acceptable.

I'm really puzzled about your ongoing challenges of the reasons why Celebrity might want to see both documents and your apparent reluctance to simply take both when it's so easy.

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

In the case of cruising out of the US it's because the CDC specifies that the doses must be at least 28 days apart (mRNA). As a result the date of each shot is relevant and necessary.

15 hours ago, K_e_short said:

Hasn't this already been said over and over again.

The CDC recognizes Pfizer/Moderna mix as being fully vaccinated.

Cruiselines recognize Pifzer/Moderna mix as being fully vaccinated.

When the rules come out for traveling to the U.S. Pfizer/Moderna mix will be recognized as being fully vaccinated.

The CDC has confirmed that. Cruiselines have confirmed that.

I hope you're right. A neighbour of mine had a travel agent tell her that she will not be allowed to travel to Denver to see her daughter, with the Pfizer/Moderna mix, if the US mandates a full vaccination requirement. It seems no one knows for sure right now, and lots of conflicting information and misinterpretation is happening. I don't travel till February so there is a lot of time for policies to change..... a few times 😉

In the news today

avellers immunized with vaccines approved by WHO, FDA, says CDC

U.S. to accept AZ vaccine

The Canadian Press - Oct 11, 2021 / 10:40 am | Story: 348259
20210329190356-6062691e24f40043ecfa8a88jpeg_p3521166._p3521415_p3555790.jpg
Photo: The Canadian Press

Canadians immunized against COVID-19 with the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine can visit the United States when new travel regulations come into play next month, but it's not yet clear whether those with mixed doses will make the cut.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Monday travellers who have received shots of vaccines approved or recognized for emergency use by the World Health Organization and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration will meet the criteria for travel to the U.S. It did not say whether that included people who had received a mixed-dose regimen of approved vaccines.

"CDC will release additional guidance and information as the travel requirements are finalized," said an emailed statement from spokesperson Jasmine Reed. Reed said the CDC began informing airlines of its decision last week.

Last month, White House officials said international travellers would be allowed to visit beginning in November as long as they were fully vaccinated. They did not say which vaccines would meet that criteria.

The FDA has approved three COVID-19 vaccines, and the AstraZeneca formula is not among them. It is, however, approved by the WHO.

The FDA also does not allow for mixing doses of Pfizer and Moderna.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froufie said:

The dates are important because a second dose within 27 days of the first dose is not approved. It really doesn't matter why it is not approved, just that it is.

You can argue all you want in this forum. It will not change what happens at check-in.

If you chose not to take the first dose certificate, be prepared for the possibility that boarding will be denied.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, broberts said:

The dates are important because a second dose within 27 days of the first dose is not approved. It really doesn't matter why it is not approved, just that it is.

You can argue all you want in this forum. It will not change what happens at check-in.

If you chose not to take the first dose certificate, be prepared for the possibility that boarding will be denied.

Thanks for the info - but I don't know of anyone here who got the dose 27 days apart - in fact it was hard enough getting it 12-14 weeks aspart - as demonstrated by the need to have mixed vaccines! LOL  I sure hope they eventually approved the mixed doses for everyone!

• Like 1

Hello - read through most of the thread and didn't see this scenario discussed. If it was I'm sorry but here's my question. My wife was vaccinated with AV and Covishield. Both are the same vaccine but made by different companies. Both are recognized by WHO. Would she be considered as having a mixed vaccination status or will she fall into the non-mixed category? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jcol5786 said:

Hello - read through most of the thread and didn't see this scenario discussed. If it was I'm sorry but here's my question. My wife was vaccinated with AV and Covishield. Both are the same vaccine but made by different companies. Both are recognized by WHO. Would she be considered as having a mixed vaccination status or will she fall into the non-mixed category? 

As far as I know (and I am in the same boat) this is not considered a mixed vaccination. I believe that the WHO has said 2 AZ, 2 Covishield, or AZ/Covishield are fully vaccinated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The NIH is doing a presentation today (this afternoon) on mixed vaccines ref: Jansen with an mNRA booster.   This will be an information session non-voting

You can follow the FDA meeting on you tube searching 169th FDA meeting

It will be interesting to see if the FDA has a discussion about it after the presentation.

• Like 1

For what it’s worth… I just got off the phone with NCL reservations and was told my husband would not be allowed to board from a US port if we were travelling this weekend having had an AstraZeneca vaccine in April, followed by Pfizer the end of June and a second Pfizer shot the end of September.  Booked a cruise out of San Juan for January, which I am now cancelling 🤨

8 minutes ago, FirsttimecruiserMac said:

For what it’s worth… I just got off the phone with NCL reservations and was told my husband would not be allowed to board from a US port if we were travelling this weekend having had an AstraZeneca vaccine in April, followed by Pfizer the end of June and a second Pfizer shot the end of September.  Booked a cruise out of San Juan for January, which I am now cancelling 🤨

Wow, even though he has 2 Pfizer vaccines. What a Cluster***

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FirsttimecruiserMac said:

That makes no sense to me as you would now be considered fully vaccinated with (2) Pfizer doses as the AZ would basically be non existant in the eyes of the CDC.  Celebrity cruises has advised they would consider this fully vaccinated from a US port of embarkation

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FirsttimecruiserMac said:

Did they give you a reason why?  If he's double vaxed with Pfizer and  you've got the required 14 days after the last shot, I'm just curious as to why he wouldn't be allowed to board from a U.S. port.   

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, FirsttimecruiserMac said:

I've not dealt with NCL or followed them on CC, but if they are like most other cruise lines, front line personnel frequently don't have full knowledge of all subjects. I would call back and ask the question again, and ask for a supervisor if you get a similar answer.

The other thing I'll raise is why even mention the original AZ shot? Your hubby has had two Pfizer shots and should be considered fully vaccinated.

• Like 4

Just now, Fouremco said:

I've not dealt with NCL or followed them on CC, but if they are like most other cruise lines, front line personnel frequently don't have full knowledge of all subjects. I would call back and ask the question again, and ask for a supervisor if you get a similar answer.

The other thing I'll raise is why even mention the original AZ shot? Your hubby has had two Pfizer shots and should be considered fully vaccinated.

I agree with both of the above comments.   Furthermore, the FDA/CDC may be making an announcement soon about mixing vaccines.  Also, the US will have to define what fully vaccinated means for people to enter in the US.  They may say that mixed vaccines will be accepted.  They will have to define fully vaccinated before November 8 as that is when the border opens.

I have one az and two pfizer as well.   Plan on taking the sheets that show the two mRNA vaccines.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, FirsttimecruiserMac said:

It may be worth dealing with NCL in writing, via email, before you hit the cancel button.  NCL Reservations by phone isn't always up to speed, advice can be inconsistent, and talking with them doesn't give you a formal record of their advice. 

If you write to the CEO, Harry Sommer, at  hsommer at ncl dot com, a member of the executive office will always reply, and in writing.  And maybe the advice will be different from what you heard on the phone. 

2 minutes ago, lots-of-km2 said:

It may be worth dealing with NCL in writing, via email, before you hit the cancel button.  NCL Reservations by phone isn't always up to speed, advice can be inconsistent, and talking with them doesn't give you a formal record of their advice. 

If you write to the CEO, Harry Sommer, at  hsommer at ncl dot com, a member of the executive office will always reply, and in writing.  And maybe the advice will be different from what you heard on the phone. 

Costco Travel Canada would not accept my cancellation!  Was on hold for over an hour while he elevated my situation to two supervisors at NCL. 
We’re good to go!  Our NCL file and Costco Travel File have been documented with my husband's vaccine status and he will be permitted to board in January. 

NCL COVID Vaccine  terms and conditions are way too vague…. They need to update them!  

I think I will write NCL as well and try to obtain confirmation in writing.  Thank you all for your comments. 

• Like 3