Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

2 hours ago, xcell said:

Backburner -- yes, medical procedures -- backlog is evenmore crazy than it was before covid.

Sadly, you can thank the unvaccinated for that. They are clogging up emergency rooms and ICU beds. It will have to come down to the country taking the carrot away and pulling out the stick I'm afraid. Get vaccinated or be satisfied with your decision that has resulted in your exclusion from airplanes, bars, restaurants, trains, travelling outside your own country and perhaps province etc. 

Last week this graphic I saw on CNN explained it all quite nicely:

IMG_2998.JPG

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 11:44 AM, xcell said:

Backburner -- yes, medical procedures -- backlog is evenmore crazy than it was before covid.

Never mine backlogs,

I took my 91 year old mother into Sunnybrook Hospital, it has Canada largest trauma centre , 

they had her hook up to monitors ready to to proceed but the anaesthetic nurse did not show up , she called in sick and there was not another one to take her place so they had to cancel 

all the next icu beds to taking away from other medical procedures

On 9/11/2021 at 8:37 AM, xcell said:

So what's confusing is, if we are to be lead by data, how is it that one country says if you have Astra, you are considered fully vaccinated, whereas another does not?  One dose of J&J and you are considered fully vaccinated in the US but 2 Astra, you are not?  Isn't Astra (based on data) more effective than J&J, so why is it not accepted in the US? And then there's the ongoing debate on mixed vaccines, and time frame between, etc..   

Too much discrepancy, too much confusion..

Then there's the issue of focusing just on the virus but putting everything else on the backburner? 

It would be like giving all your attention to that one kid with the learning disability in your grade, while ignoring the rest of the class. 

Population profiles and variant distribution can account for some of the vaccine approval differences. Many countries want data from test groups similar to their populations. If you cast your mind back to spring / summer 2020 you may recall a fair bit of media attention paid to early test populations with few subjects drawn from particular racial groups.

Bottom line, the science of pandemics is complicated. If something doesn't make sense to a non expert, the likely reason is a lack of understanding rather than stupid experts.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/health-canada-authorizes-new-names-for-covid-19-vaccines-1.5588058

Now that these clowns at Health Canada have decided to change the names of the vaccines, will this just make it more confusing for anyone to determine if you received an approved dose?

In Europe, Australia, and some other parts of the world, that change took place several months ago, and the US is in the process of making a similar change. Consequently, this isn't a unilateral decision by Health Canada to dream up new names, but instead health officials ensuring that we remain relevant. Contrary to what you suggest, this should lead to less confusion. SpikeVax works for me!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Magicat said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/health-canada-authorizes-new-names-for-covid-19-vaccines-1.5588058

Now that these clowns at Health Canada have decided to change the names of the vaccines, will this just make it more confusing for anyone to determine if you received an approved dose?

Who is the clown ?🤔🙄🤡

Something not highlighted in the CTV News link is the fact that the switch to the commercial brand names for these vaccines came with their final approval for use in Canada. They are no longer only  approved under the emergency use provisions.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Something not highlighted in the CTV News link is the fact that the switch to the commercial brand names for these vaccines came with their final approval for use in Canada. They are no longer only  approved under the emergency use provisions.

Do you have a link which indicates when the vaccines got final approval in Canada ? 

44 minutes ago, tert333 said:

Wonder if this will also get rid of the issue of having received covishield.  Hopefully, if so, Ontario will change the official documentation.

The AZ vaccine is now called Vaxzevria. Sounds itchy. 

Saddled with this and the need to issue vaccine passports, Doug Ford's head is gonna explode. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Do you have a link which indicates when the vaccines got final approval in Canada ? 

Here's a link to the Health Canada site: https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/covid19-industry/drugs-vaccines-treatments/vaccines.html

SpikeVax and Comirnaty received final approval today upon the expiration of their interim order authorizing their use. Janssen's interim order also expired today, but will continue to be authorized while its submission is under review. Vaxzevria's interim approval has not expired and will continue during the review.

So, final approvals today for SpikeVax and Comirnaty, but  still to come for Janssen and Vaxzevria.

2 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

The AZ vaccine is now called Vaxzevria. Sounds itchy. 

Saddled with this and the need to issue vaccine passports, Doug Ford's head is gonna explode. 

My head is going to explode.  I’m sick of this crap by the Canadian health experts.

On 9/16/2021 at 10:10 AM, Magicat said:

Instead of calling it "Mazda sports car" they're now saying "Miata / MX-5". What exactly is the problem?

The manufacturer and the name of the vaccine are, and always have been different things.

Pfizer is the manufacturer, and Comirnaty is their Covid-19 vaccine (specifically their BNT162b2 vaccine).

This would be the 'clowns' doing exactly the right thing to clarify exactly what they're talking about. There may be plenty of things to gripe about with various health agencies, but this certainly isn't one of them.

It also helps remove confusion when you're talking about two different manufacturers that manufacture the same vaccine

• Like 3

Mixed Vaccines are going to be accepted in the UK starting October 4!

From 4am Monday 4 October, if you have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days:

• under an approved vaccination program in the UK, Europe, US or UK vaccine programme overseas
  • with a full course of the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public health body in Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan – mixing between two-dose vaccines (Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna) in this list is also recognised
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

From 4am Monday 4 October, if you have been fully vaccinated for at least 14 days:

• under an approved vaccination program in the UK, Europe, US or UK vaccine programme overseas
  • with a full course of the Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna or Janssen vaccines from a relevant public health body in Australia, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Bahrain, Brunei, Canada, Dominica, Israel, Japan, Kuwait, Malaysia, New Zealand, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea or Taiwan – mixing between two-dose vaccines (Oxford/AstraZeneca, Pfizer BioNTech, Moderna) in this list is also recognised

Oh that is such great news

I have a Iceland/Scotland etc cruise out of Dover England next summer so that means Carnival will consider me vaccinated - woohoo!

Now just need to see if my transatlantic ending in New York can happen.

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Hopefully all countries will follow that leaded 

One poster suggested mixed vaccines are accepted by cdc. It does seem you could interpret that

2 weeks after their second dose in a 2-dose series, such as the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

However this is what i found interesting at the bottom of the page. So does that mean WHO vaccines and astrazeneca are accepted by cdc?

This guidance applies to COVID-19 vaccines currently approved or authorized for emergency use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, and Johnson & Johnson [J&J]/Janssen COVID-19 vaccines) and some vaccines used for U.S. participants in COVID-19 vaccine trials (such as Novavax). This guidance can also be applied to COVID-19 vaccines that have been listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization (such as AstraZeneca/Oxford). More information is available at Interim Clinical Considerations for Use of COVID-19 Vaccines | CDC.

Sorry i am new this thread so i hope its not a duplicate post

For anyone that didn't see the change on the Celebrity Website in the Health Section in FAQS.  It doesn't help AZ/mRNA, but those who have two different mRNA are now good:

Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. For sailings departing from the US, the CDC will now recognize a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as fully vaccinated.

• If a guest has already received two mRNA vaccines in mixed series at a minimum interval of 28 days, the CDC will consider that individual to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • Guests who received the Janssen (aka Johnson & Johnson) vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine should be considered to have received a valid, single-dose Janssen vaccination—not a mixed vaccination series—and are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Only US Guests will be permitted to sail on Celebrity Apex from Barcelona and as such must follow all vaccination requirements for sailings entering/departing the US.

Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens, or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, may have mixed doses as follows:

• AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8-12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose
  • One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Modern

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, AlbertaCruisers said:

For anyone that didn't see the change on the Celebrity Website in the Health Section in FAQS.  It doesn't help AZ/mRNA, but those who have two different mRNA are now good:

Will I be considered fully vaccinated if my first dose of the Covid-19 vaccine is from one manufacturer and the second dose is from another?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has clarified their position regarding mixed vaccinations and provided Celebrity Cruises with updated guidance. For sailings departing from the US, the CDC will now recognize a mixed combination of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines (Pfizer/Moderna) as fully vaccinated.

• If a guest has already received two mRNA vaccines in mixed series at a minimum interval of 28 days, the CDC will consider that individual to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • Guests who received the Janssen (aka Johnson & Johnson) vaccine before or after another COVID-19 vaccine should be considered to have received a valid, single-dose Janssen vaccination—not a mixed vaccination series—and are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
  • To be recognized as fully vaccinated, guests 12 years of age and older, must complete a vaccine series with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.

Only US Guests will be permitted to sail on Celebrity Apex from Barcelona and as such must follow all vaccination requirements for sailings entering/departing the US.

Guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette from Southampton, Celebrity Apex sailing from Athens, or Celebrity Flora, Xploration and Xpedition in the Galapagos, may have mixed doses as follows:

• AstraZeneca, with the AstraZeneca dose being administered first, followed within 8-12 weeks by either the Pfizer or Moderna dose
  • One dose of Pfizer or Moderna followed at least four weeks later by a second dose of Pfizer or Modern

Some ports of call may not accept mixed vaccines and therefore could prevent guests with mixed vaccines from going ashore. 

That is a good update.   It would be nice if they gave the example of one AZ followed by two of the same mRNA to clearly show that a person is vaccinated.   While it should be intuitive that you are, one person from Celebrity told me that you are not full vaccinated in that case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, christinand said:

One poster suggested mixed vaccines are accepted by cdc. It does seem you could interpret that...

Careful... the CDC does recognize mixed vaccines of the same type (Moderna and Pfizer) but at no time is AZ and Pfizer or Moderna approved as vaccinated.

Yes cruiselines have interpreted the rules differently regarding Moderna/Pfizer but remember what the CDC says on their website doesn't matter. It's how the CRUISELINES are interpreting those rules.

9 minutes ago, tert333 said:

That is a good update.   It would be nice if they gave the example of one AZ followed by two of the same mRNA to clearly show that a person is vaccinated.   While it should be intuitive that you are, one person from Celebrity told me that you are not full vaccinated in that case.

I think it depends on what you have to show.  In Alberta, we get sheets for each vaccine we get.  When we went in August on Celebrity, I showed the two sheets, and they looked at the type of vaccine (Pfizer) and the date it was given and recorded that and they were fine with that as confirmation.  So, if you had 3 and have separate confirmations, I would not give them the first confirmation and how would they know?  That may change if what you provide as proof changes.

• Like 1