Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

Phew! Now to wait for the cruiselines to adjust their policies... I leave in 10 days for Florida (Disney here we come!) and was planning to get a second Pfizer but if I don't need it, I would rather not get it. Wonder how long it will take for the adjustments to policies. I cruise on RCL in March, but of course PIF is December and I won't really get another chance at this. I guess I'll wait and see.

Also hoping Canada drops the testing for vaccinated people at some point, such a pain to have to fit into a vacation. At least in the US it's free, the testing to fly to the US of course is not, but $40 here in Ontario isn't too bad, wish Costco near us had the even cheaper tests. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/united-states-international-travel-rules-what-to-know/index.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twCNN&utm_term=link&utm_content=2021-10-15T18%3A00%3A55

, CNN  Published 15th October 2021

What about mixed-dose vaccinations?

The CDC is working through the question of mixed-dose vaccinations, according to senior administration officials. The CDC will offer guidance "in the coming weeks" related to the vaccination status of individuals who received doses of two different vaccines, one official said on October 12.

-----------------

So we still have nothing.  

We cancelled our Dec cruise last month.  
Final payment for our Jan cruise is next week.  
We'll be cancelling that one too as "in the coming weeks" is too long for final payment. 

Be sure to check you final payment date.  I have been told that all cruises departing up until the end of January have had their final payment dates changed to 30 days prior to sailing (and not 90 days).  This may give you some leeway in making your decision.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russ Lomas said:

Be sure to check you final payment date.  I have been told that all cruises departing up until the end of January have had their final payment dates changed to 30 days prior to sailing (and not 90 days).  This may give you some leeway in making your decision.

which cruiseline?   Not all of them. 

That is Not Princess' policy for example. 

31 minutes ago, MamatoJack said:

Also hoping Canada drops the testing for vaccinated people at some point, such a pain to have to fit into a vacation. At least in the US it's free, the testing to fly to the US of course is not, but $40 here in Ontario isn't too bad, wish Costco near us had the even cheaper tests. 

$20

https://www.walmart.ca/cp/shop/asymptomatic-covid-testing/6000203002155

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruiseamm said:

From the gc.ca website:

"All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days. Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted."

These tests that you get at Walmart and Costco are rapid antigen tests and will not be accepted at the border. You must have the PCR test done and it's much more costly.  I just read an article this morning saying to be very careful and make sure you get the right test to allow you back.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bubbadogmom said:

Does that mean that an AZ/Pfizer mix is ok to cruise? I know they will look at updating their guidelines but I have less than a week to cancel without penalty. This is WAY too close for comfort for me…..😬

I hope so, that’s what I have. The Annex part in the CDC guidelines is fairly, to very, specific about what constitutes ‘fully vaccinated’ .  I think the cruiselines will be quick to update their policies. Would be nice if they put the policy in a banner across the top of their web site like they do with hurricane updates.  
This has been a good Ides of October.  I’m holding off getting too excited until I see it on a cruise site. 

Just now, hancogran said:

From the gc.ca website:

"All travellers 5 years of age or older, regardless of citizenship or vaccination status, must provide proof of a COVID-19 negative molecular test result to enter Canada or proof of a previous positive test result taken between 14 and 180 days. Rapid antigen tests will not be accepted."

These tests that you get at Walmart and Costco are rapid antigen tests and will not be accepted at the border. You must have the PCR test done and it's much more costly.  I just read an article this morning saying to be very careful and make sure you get the right test to allow you back.

The rapid antigen test is to depart from Canada and for cruises.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, cruiseamm said:

The rapid antigen test is to depart from Canada and for cruises.

🤔  Oh sorry... I thought you were talking about the  Covid test they now require to cross the border back to Canada.  That's a great price!

4 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

which cruiseline?   Not all of them. 

That is Not Princess' policy for example. 

That is with Royal Caribbean.  That is the board here that I am looking at 99% of the time, so I forgot which thread this was in and that it was not the RCCL thread.  So my assumption you were with RCCL could very well be wrong

3 hours ago, cruiseamm said:

That is a great price.  We paid $60 each in August times six people to get tests done at the Pearson airport before boarding our flight (the $40 ones would have been conducted too early to count for us to board the ship back then).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

How does a Canadian get a free PCR test in the US for return travel?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MamatoJack said:

5 hours ago, cruiseamm said:

Saw a sign the other day at the local Costco….antigen test for travel only $16.99.  Much better than the $75 we paid just 2 months ago. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, karebare22 said:

Saw a sign the other day at the local Costco….antigen test for travel only $16.99.  Much better than the $75 we paid just 2 months ago. 

Much better then the prices here in B.C.  In Kelowna at least it includes free parking at YLW!  There doesn't appear to be any option for testing at SDM, Costco or Walmart here in B.C.  I find Pandemic price gouging to be deplorable.  Regards,  Paul

Healthy travel at YLW | Kelowna International Airport

COVID-19 testing

Whitecap RSCopen_in_new now provides on-site, asymptomatic COVID-19 testing at YLW for departing passengers who require a negative test prior to international travel. This testing is by appointment only.

Cost: The PCR test is offered at $240 with results available within 24 and 48 hours.  Rapid antigen test is offered at $120 with test results available within 30 minutes.

Location: The facility is located at the south end of the Air Terminal Building. Parking is available at the location free of charge while testing occurs.

Hours: Monday to Friday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

• Like 1

I've been unable to post or comment on CC since yesterday ... but let me just add a giant

WOOOO HOOOOO for this news. 

Now I'll be tracking when the cruise lines adjust their policies. 

Edited by Josie201
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, karebare22 said:

Do you have to be a member to access that Costco testing?

The reason I ask is I remember hearing some flexiblity when it comes to medication. pharmacy, etc. but I may be wrong.

8 hours ago, mattR said:

How does a Canadian get a free PCR test in the US for return travel?

Some cruise lines offer a free PCR test, some don't. One Canadian poster has posted twice that he's been able to get free NAAT testing at Walgreens, also acceptable for reentry.

4 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

Do you have to be a member to access that Costco testing?

The reason I ask is I remember hearing some flexiblity when it comes to medication. pharmacy, etc. but I may be wrong.

You need to show your membership card when entering, and there's been no separate entrance to the pharmacy in any of the Costcos I've gone to. If they make exceptions, I'm not aware of it, but give them a call.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

You need to show your membership card when entering, and there's been no separate entrance to the pharmacy in any of the Costcos I've gone to. If they make exceptions, I'm not aware of it, but give them a call.

Thank you for that information. I just saw Walmart does cheap tests so I'm good.

• Like 2