Mixed Vaccines

MaddyandMax

Exactly, @nbsjcruiser!!  In the spring I tried to complete my AZ with a second dose, and my province wouldn’t let me. I had to mix vaccines in order to complete my vaccinations. Now I find out that my AZ is Covishield from India which is not recognized in some European countries. Double whammy! 

24 minutes ago, Atlantic Girl said:

This week I finally took charge of the mixed vaccine issue and received my second mRNA vaccine after getting a AZ/mRNA mix. My province kept refusing my request to get another MRNA shot, so I went to another province. Without lying, I basically forgot  about my AZ dose. I told them that I was not a resident, did not have their health card, and did not have a address in their province. I took my passport and the details of my first mRNA vaccine shot. They filled out the vaccine document for me and even filled in all the details of my first mRNA shot from another province! So now I have one piece of paper showing all the details of both my shots that are the same and the AZ is gone. They said that when the Federal vaccine passports come out that it should be recorded from their province. Either way I now have the vaccine paperwork that I need to travel. It was a very good experience and I urge everyone who has mixed doses to not cancel your travel plans. Check with other provinces and keep on cruising!

I have the same AZ/Pfizer. My question is how did you proof that you have had one dose of mRNA because my receipt shows that I’ve received two doses. It doesn’t state what those two doses are????

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Atlantic Girl said:

Exactly, @nbsjcruiser!!  In the spring I tried to complete my AZ with a second dose, and my province wouldn’t let me. I had to mix vaccines in order to complete my vaccinations. Now I find out that my AZ is Covishield from India which is not recognized in some European countries. Double whammy! 

Ouch. Smart move then.

26 minutes ago, Tomchick1970 said:

I have the same AZ/Pfizer. My question is how did you proof that you have had one dose of mRNA because my receipt shows that I’ve received two doses. It doesn’t state what those two doses are????

Speaking from the Maritimes here so maybe its different in Ontario but down here any pharmacy will give you a vaccine if you are a Canadian citizen. As long as you can prove it, my friend tells me that all he had to do was roll up to the clinic, show proof of Canadian citizenship, tell them this will be your second Pfzier (or Moderna) and get your shot. In my friend's case, he was given a log on id to the NS site where vaccine records are kept and he was able to download his vaccine record. Now when NB or the Canadian government announces its app he has a choice. For internal needs in NB he can use the NB Health records app showing AZ+Pfizer and for international travel or travel inside Canada he can use the Federal App when it comes out and upload his 2 Pfizer doses (one from NB one from NS) and use that as proof of vaccination for travel outside NB. OTOH, he can always bring paper proof showing AZ+Pfizer+Pfizer as needed. This will always be an option. 

• Like 2

@Tomchick1970  when I got my first mRNA dose they gave me a card with a sticker on it showing the details. My AZ dose was documented separately. Two different papers. So I just took the mRNA paper with me. Never once was I asked about AZ. The fact that 3 provinces are giving the third  doses for people who had mixed AZ/mRNA , shows that they accept that there is a problem. Will all provinces follow? Who knows, I only wanted to show that we have a choice, wait for that to happen or fix it ourselves. BTW this shot was discussed with my Dr first and given the Ok. Least side effects of any shot yet. 

• Like 1

I appreciate the effort people are putting in to getting a 3rd dose/2nd mrna vaccine, etc.

Here's the issue that will occur in Ontario. There is a process in place to add vaccines from other provinces/countries.

But my record already shows 2 doses so why would they add the 3rd dose?

Now questions I don't know the answer to:

1 - does the provincial or federal vaccine passport link to the database (that would already show me fully vaccinated?)

2 - if I'm cruising how am I supposed to show two documents that each say I have a 2nd dose (2nd dose of pfizer, after my AZ, AND 2nd dose of Pfizer I received somewhere else).

FYI for any Canadians with mixed shots. Inquired about a third shot and got a reply from Hamilton Health in Ontario. Can only hope CDC changes policy,

Good morning,

Thank you for your e-mail. At this time, neither the provincial or federal government have advised for or approved third doses for the purpose of travel.  As such, no Public Health Units are authorized to administer third doses for travel.

Bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Atlantic Girl said:

@Tomchick1970  when I got my first mRNA dose they gave me a card with a sticker on it showing the details. My AZ dose was documented separately. Two different papers. So I just took the mRNA paper with me. Never once was I asked about AZ. The fact that 3 provinces are giving the third  doses for people who had mixed AZ/mRNA , shows that they accept that there is a problem. Will all provinces follow? Who knows, I only wanted to show that we have a choice, wait for that to happen or fix it ourselves. BTW this shot was discussed with my Dr first and given the Ok. Least side effects of any shot yet. 

Good point - I too discussed my situation with my doc and was given the ok.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I appreciate the effort people are putting in to getting a 3rd dose/2nd mrna vaccine, etc.

Here's the issue that will occur in Ontario. There is a process in place to add vaccines from other provinces/countries.

But my record already shows 2 doses so why would they add the 3rd dose?

Now questions I don't know the answer to:

1 - does the provincial or federal vaccine passport link to the database (that would already show me fully vaccinated?)

2 - if I'm cruising how am I supposed to show two documents that each say I have a 2nd dose (2nd dose of pfizer, after my AZ, AND 2nd dose of Pfizer I received somewhere else).

You can always carry your paperwork with you. There will be plenty of people who either will not allow a government app on their cell phone, wont have a cell phone or wont be able to figure out how to do it. They will carry their paperwork and as long as it is official with the proper info on it, that will always suffice. 

Each province has their own health software and they do not interact with each other therefore there is no way they will be able to confirm anything with anyone. When the Feds come out with their app, they will account for third doses. Even they know third and probably 4th doses will be needed before we get on the other side of this thing - if we ever do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, leafsnation said:

FYI for any Canadians with mixed shots. Inquired about a third shot and got a reply from Hamilton Health in Ontario. Can only hope CDC changes policy,

Good morning,

Thank you for your e-mail. At this time, neither the provincial or federal government have advised for or approved third doses for the purpose of travel.  As such, no Public Health Units are authorized to administer third doses for travel.

Bob

Ontario is not giving out 3rd doses.

I contacted Doug Ford, Christine Elliott, and my own MPP.

The response was that they are targeting those needing 1st and 2nd doses. NACI does not recommend 3rd doses just to travel.

Ontario has a goal of getting 90% vaccinated so that is their priority right now.

On 7/15/2021 at 8:58 PM, K_e_short said:

Carnival has the same policy.

It really puts a lot of people in a stressful situation as many people in Ontario got Astra Zeneca as their first dose and then were told to get Pfizer/Modernas as their second.

Exactly, 2 people in my family have the Az/Moderna or AZ/Pfizer.....but that is what our experts told us to do....ugh

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 8:57 AM, Atlantic Girl said:

Great work on getting through the gauntlet.  I applaud your initiative.  Which province did you get the second PFizer?  Did you have to bring your first vaccination record?

My thoughts were that I would get the vaccination sheet that I have for my first PFizer and then have the second the sheet from the second PFizer out of province that I am hoping to get this month.  With the two sheets show my vaccination to any agency that requires the person to have two PFizer shots.

I am in the same boat as tomchick1970, where it says that I have received 2 valid doses on my PFizer vaccine document.  Would prefer not to show that sheet as it opens up a can of worms...

Edited by tert333

1 hour ago, tert333 said:

Great work on getting through the gauntlet.  I applaud your initiative.  Which province did you get the second PFizer?  Did you have to bring your first vaccination record?

My thoughts were that I would get the vaccination sheet that I have for my first PFizer and then have the second the sheet from the second PFizer out of province that I am hoping to get this month.  With the two sheets show my vaccination to any agency that requires the person to have two PFizer shots.

I am in the same boat as tomchick1970, where it says that I have received 2 valid doses on my PFizer vaccine document.  Would prefer not to show that sheet as it opens up a can of worms...

I wish the 2nd sheet didn’t state 2 doses because some might interpret it as two Pfizer doses received. 

20 hours ago, Tomchick1970 said:

I wish the 2nd sheet didn’t state 2 doses because some might interpret it as two Pfizer doses received. 

Yea, I wonder if it is best to show the original AZ shot as the first shot if I have to

• Like 1

Here in Saskatchewan, third doses for travel were approved and started in August.  My friend had AZ/Pfizer mix, and just received his third shot (Pfizer) today.  He didn't have to show any proof of intent to travel, etc.  Sadly, I think the Saskatchewan Health Authority is thrilled to give out third shots (any shots), as we have a frighteningly low vaccine rate in our province.  Today, we had the lowest daily number of vaccines administered since the start of the vaccination program.  Ironically, our province has not returned to the province-wide indoor mask mandate, so cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are surging.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zook50 said:

Here in Saskatchewan, third doses for travel were approved and started in August.  My friend had AZ/Pfizer mix, and just received his third shot (Pfizer) today.  He didn't have to show any proof of intent to travel, etc.  Sadly, I think the Saskatchewan Health Authority is thrilled to give out third shots (any shots), as we have a frighteningly low vaccine rate in our province.  Today, we had the lowest daily number of vaccines administered since the start of the vaccination program.  Ironically, our province has not returned to the province-wide indoor mask mandate, so cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are surging.

and why not hand out third shots at this point? There will be thousands of viles of vaccine that will end up in the garbage because they expire. At the very least, put them to good use. Provinces could advertise that those with mixed doses can register for a third dose and get one from a soon to expire vile. A "While supplies last" sort of thing.

To add another wrinkle into this argument. Fauci was interviewed on CNN and said its very likely that a third dose will be needed soon to be considered fully vaccinated. Look out then. All this mixed dosage nonsense will start all over again. "Oh, you need to have 3 doses of an mRNA, you have 1 AZ + 2 mRNA, we dont recognize mixed doses".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2021 at 7:53 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

and why not hand out third shots at this point? There will be thousands of viles of vaccine that will end up in the garbage because they expire. At the very least, put them to good use. Provinces could advertise that those with mixed doses can register for a third dose and get one from a soon to expire vile. A "While supplies last" sort of thing.

To add another wrinkle into this argument. Fauci was interviewed on CNN and said its very likely that a third dose will be needed soon to be considered fully vaccinated. Look out then. All this mixed dosage nonsense will start all over again. "Oh, you need to have 3 doses of an mRNA, you have 1 AZ + 2 mRNA, we dont recognize mixed doses".

Fauci has changed his mind more than one changes their underwear.  I no longer have respect for that man.

9 hours ago, hubbards said:

Fauci has changed his mind more than one changes their underwear.  I no longer have respect for that man.

Fortunately, a scientist changing his mind is not unique and it is something you actually want to see in a scientist. To do otherwise would be to run into a unique situation like a pandemic, make your mind up early on and never waver. That would doom us all.

I'm not a scientist in that field but I do have a science degree. You go where the data leads you. You may have a notion on where you think it will go but a true scientist will read the data, and then analyze, analyze, analyze. Early on in this pandemic it was thought masks wouldn't help contain the spread but as more data came in and more people got sick, the scientists went where the data led them. I know that in the real world we're all expecting answers now! I guess its the world we live in today with instant access to information and data but it many cases this is an expectation that can't be met. Covid-19 is a once in a lifetime event. To expect a scientist to know instantly what is going on with it, to provide all the answers right away and for those answers to never be wrong is unrealistic. The man has over 50 years experience fighting diseases like this, Aids and so on. Having a guy like him give his opinion is more valuable than probably anyone else in the world. And yes, even with him it will change. Its a testament to his knowledge and experience.

Scientists (like Fauci) are led by data. We are led by emotion, by the restrictions in our life, by the inability to do things like cruise, by the missing connections in our life. We're going to be upset, drained, fed up - I know I am and I get that you are too. But look where we were a year ago. If Delta had been spreading last year the death toll would have been horrific - something out of a Stephen King novel. The reason we have a fighting chance today is because scientists went where the data told them. Its why some vaccines didn't work and never saw the light of day and some miraculously did work and give us the chance to get a little normal back in our lives. 

Edited by nbsjcruiser
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

So what's confusing is, if we are to be lead by data, how is it that one country says if you have Astra, you are considered fully vaccinated, whereas another does not?  One dose of J&J and you are considered fully vaccinated in the US but 2 Astra, you are not?  Isn't Astra (based on data) more effective than J&J, so why is it not accepted in the US? And then there's the ongoing debate on mixed vaccines, and time frame between, etc..   

Too much discrepancy, too much confusion..

Then there's the issue of focusing just on the virus but putting everything else on the backburner? 

It would be like giving all your attention to that one kid with the learning disability in your grade, while ignoring the rest of the class. 

46 minutes ago, xcell said:

So what's confusing is, if we are to be lead by data, how is it that one country says if you have Astra, you are considered fully vaccinated, whereas another does not?  One dose of J&J and you are considered fully vaccinated in the US but 2 Astra, you are not?  Isn't Astra (based on data) more effective than J&J, so why is it not accepted in the US? And then there's the ongoing debate on mixed vaccines, and time frame between, etc..   

Too much discrepancy, too much confusion..

Then there's the issue of focusing just on the virus but putting everything else on the backburner? 

It would be like giving all your attention to that one kid with the learning disability in your grade, while ignoring the rest of the class. 

Different scientists, different tests, different countries, different political attitudes. Example - > There was a company in Australia that thought it had the vaccine to protect against the virus. Turns out their data was wrong and the Australian government abandoned financial support. The company CEO was heartbroken but admitted they weren't where they thought they were. Oxford University came up with AZ. Guess what? It works. Some countries however were not willing to take the chances on blood clot issues once more data starting coming out. Don't forget, these vaccines were developed and tested in record time to address an issue in record time. The testing to achieve emergency use was not as thorough as it would have been had the world had all the time in the world to address it. Again, the data drove some countries to pass. Mixed doses are another thing - some countries, like Canada, chose to allow it as a means to get a many people vaccinated as quickly as possible. In the end it may turn out to be a good choice - we'll know come the fall if it was. Again, the data will drive our final decision on that. 

To be short, you couldn't put 100 countries in a room together and get a consensus on what time of day it is. To expect that they'd all agree on a vaccine approach as thousands of their citizens are dying is a wonderful thought but it will never happen. Don't forget, politicians have one major goal - to get re-elected. It drives everything they do. We see it with Trudeau. Everything he did this year was with one goal - get the country vaccinated and re-opened so he could have an election and get more power. As long as the political science drives what these people do, we are always going to have different approaches to EVERYTHING. In Canada's case the political science has taken a seat beside the real science on this train to God knows where. I suspect its the same everywhere to one degree or another.

Not sure what you mean by putting things on the backburner. Do you mean medical procedures waiting for getting cancelled because of the virus?

• Like 3