X:"We recommend that you arrive to the pier within your selected arrival time. Early arrivals may have a prolonged wait time"

NutsAboutGolf

A recommendation becomes a rule if the people at the port are adhering to the boarding times.  As has been noted on the other thread about this topic, the port workers are using some discretion in allowing people to board early if the flow of passengers warrants it, but there's no guarantee of that.  One person's experience may be different than another's, especially during these early sailings.

• Like 5

I'm not sure I understand the point of contention. Of course, no one can mandate what time you arrive at the port. So X recommends not arriving early or do so at the risk of your own comfort.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

OP, can you provide a link? The most recent cruise contract that I can find on the website no longer has that paragraph.

It's my eDocs so I won't be posting a link but perhaps this screenshot will help:

image.thumb.png.64889166630b3fb58cd26c5fd88b86c9.png

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

OP, can you provide a link? The most recent cruise contract that I can find on the website no longer has that paragraph.

I just opened my edoc. 

Page 9, halfway down 2nd column--exact paragraph Nuts copied. 

Took about 20 seconds to find...

Edited by KKB

Plenty of passengers have mentioned that Celebrity will accommodate your early arrival if they are able, but they've also confirmed that priority goes to those who have the current embarkation time.  Everything I've seen from Celebrity is consistent with that, including what you just posted and what was in the email I received about 10 minutes ago for our upcoming sailing:

YOUR SCHEDULED ARRIVAL TIME
AT THE TERMINAL IS
3:30 PM - 4:00 PM

Arrive only during your scheduled arrival time to avoid long wait times outside the terminal and boarding delays. All guests in your reservation must check in together.

In other words, you can feel free to take your chances and show up early.  However, if you do, you are just getting in line to get in line.  Until you actually board, anyone who shows up with an earlier embarkation time goes ahead of you.  In the meantime, you may not have a pleasant place to wait your turn.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

It's my eDocs so I won't be posting a link but perhaps this screenshot will help:

image.thumb.png.64889166630b3fb58cd26c5fd88b86c9.png

17 minutes ago, KKB said:

I just opened my edoc. 

Page 9, halfway down 2nd column--exact paragraph Nuts copied. 

Took about 20 seconds to find...

Thanks for the clarification. The OP said "cruise contract", and I couldn't find anything there. But edocs is a different kettle of fish, and my last Guest Ticket Booklet has the same paragraph.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the clarification. The OP said "cruise contract", and I couldn't find anything there. But edocs is a different kettle of fish, and my last Guest Ticket Booklet has the same paragraph.

Not sure how they're different as the contract is within the eDocs.

image.thumb.png.5b217701de068110cbdaf51fba0e32b6.png

I the past they let people board as they arrived even though the cruise contract stated a time.  Perhaps this will change as they try to keep crowds down.

this is hard when you have a check out time at a hotel and have transport from said hotel

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Pickels said:

There has to be some sort of plan/procedure to be able to control/process two to three thousand people trying to get on board! 

There is.  They are scheduling embarkation times.

23 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

I the past they let people board as they arrived even though the cruise contract stated a time.  Perhaps this will change as they try to keep crowds down.

this is hard when you have a check out time at a hotel and have transport from said hotel

It really isn't that hard. You only need to vacate your room at check out time, not the hotel premises.

• Like 2

In preparation for my July 31 Apex sailing, I received an email which started with the following...

YOUR SCHEDULED ARRIVAL TIME
AT THE TERMINAL IS

11:30 AM - 12:00 PM

Arrive only during your scheduled arrival time to avoid long wait times outside the terminal and boarding delays. All guests in your reservation must check in together.

In pre-Covid times, I always ignored any boarding times and arrived whenever I wanted and never had a problem...

And an issue for many of us is that we may arrive in the embarkation city a day or several days prior and stay in a hotel--which ordinarily have check-out times of 10 am or 11 am...So, you've got all of your luggage and carry-ons and nowhere really to go...so, why not just head to the ship and get on when they let you?  Of course, in earlier times, they'd have a large waiting hall with maybe some coffee, water and iced tea available...and chairs.  Maybe a deluxe waiting area for those of us with higher Captains Club standing.

But, I think what they are telling us is that that waiting hall will be occupied by medical screeners and other necessary functions...and they will NOT allow people to wait inside due to social distancing protocols...

So, come to the pier early IF YOU WANT...but be prepared to wait OUTSIDE in the heat without  place to sit.

For me, since we have what I think is the earliest time slot, we plan to show up around 11:00 am...a half an hour early, figuring we'll get any testing and procedure underway quickly and we'll get on whenever they actually clear the ship and are ready to board...but, if I had, say, a 2:30-3:00 time slot, no way I'd show up early...

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

which ordinarily have check-out times of 10 am or 11 am...So, you've got all of your luggage and carry-ons and nowhere really to go...so, why not just head to the ship and get on when they let you?  Of course, in earlier times, they'd have a large waiting hall with maybe some coffee, water and iced tea available...and chairs.

99% of hotels will hold your luggage although you still might not be in the hotel that does not.

I just wanted to point out my recently late checkout experience in Hawaii to point out it isn't guaranteed and it seems odds of receiving a late check may go down if the hotel is sold out.  Really seems to depend on how well staffed the hotel is.  I booked a Hyatt Place where I have status, it was fully booked the date I went, I requested a late checkout and I was told I had to call the morning of checkout started at 8am.  I called at 759am, busy, must have called 20 more times, always busy.  Got someone at 820am, they were unable to honor my late checkout request.  I later stayed in a Hyatt Centric which was not fully booked, they were able to add my late check out during check in.

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

6 minutes ago, marienbad said:

In the past Retreat guests had a special area to check in at a time of their choosing in spite of time assigned by the computer. Is this still the case?

Suite guests or those with priority can check in whenever, "special area"/line may vary by location but generally you just find an employee to tell them you're a suite guest and they'll direct you.

Though check-in and boarding times are assigned, luggage drop-off isn't, correct? I guess it depends on your port of embarkation, but I'd think there would be a restaurant or other option to spend time bags-free before one can check-in. 

And to echo other posters, your hotel should be able to hold your luggage if need be.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marienbad said:

In the past Retreat guests had a special area to check in at a time of their choosing in spite of time assigned by the computer. Is this still the case?

That was my understanding after speaking to a Retreat Concierge on the phone this morning. 

Not difficult, if you leave bags at your hotel and there is nothing within walking distance grab a Uber to a restaurant, shopping area, movie theater, museum or book a tour.  For us that would sure beat standing outside in a line in the  elements hoping to get on the ship 30 minutes early.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1