The Daily for Saturday Jul 17, 2021

richwmn

Today is Peach Ice Cream Day, World Emoji Day, and Yellow Pig Day

"I have found that if you love life, life will love you back. - Arthur Rubinstein"

Meal suggestion for today - Sun Dried Tomato Chicken and Gnocchi

Drink of the Day - Enamorada Sunrise

Wine of the day - Saxum James Berry Vineyard Paso Robles Willow Creek District 2014

Destination of the Day - Kralendijk Bonaire

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Drifting

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage
Westerdam Anchorage

Long Beach
Zuiderdam Anchorage

Piraeus GR
Eurodam Anchorage

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam Operations off shore

Seattle
Nieuw Amsterdam Anchorage

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0717World.thumb.png.52bdb8eb73ec726e6acc4e93f533bdd8.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 7

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.

Yellow Pig Day!  Love it.   Peach ice cream sounds good too.

Great quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good to me too.

I hope the drink of the day and wine are wonderful too.

Prayers for everyone.

Have a great Saturday.  Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Saturday Daily, Rich.  Not into emoji's.  Had not heard of Yellow Pig Day but will celebrate it.  Will especially celebrate Peach Ice Cream.  Love the Rubenstein quote.  Bonaire is a great destination.  The meal sounds good.  My alternative is Beef and Vegetable Soup, Braised Lamb Shank, and Cherries Jubile as served on MS Rotterdam July 17, 2011.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery
Western wildfires
Hoping for a proper caregiver for Sam
Marmot@sea’s cousin 4km from wildfire
smitty34877's Miss Camilla in NICU
summer slope with shingles
Lindaler close to wildfire
bennybear DSIL infection
JazzyV eye inflamation(Improving)

From the rotation:
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis
Kakalina undergoing radiation for aggressive cancer

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Nieuw Amsterdam in Seattle
Front Line Health Care Workers
Explorer OTS housing Surfside first responders
highland cruiser at Diamond Lake
St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip
CatShepard in Iceland
StLouisSal’s friend with liver transplant
Promising caregiver for an improving Sam
Denise on her wilderness adventure
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 31
  • Thanks 5

Good Morning.

Peach Ice cream sounds like a winner on a hot July day. I had to google "yellow pig day" as I never heard of a yellow pig. It seems that it is named after a group of mathematicians from Princeton who were exploring the number 17. One of them had a collection of yellow pigs (ceramic and stuffed). But it is essentially a celebration of the number 17. (OK, I still have no idea what that means)

Both Rich's and Roy's meal suggestions sound great.

Stay safe everyone.

Jim

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Good Morning.

Peach Ice cream sounds like a winner on a hot July day. I had to google "yellow pig day" as I never heard of a yellow pig. It seems that it is named after a group of mathematicians from Princeton who were exploring the number 17. One of them had a collection of yellow pigs (ceramic and stuffed). But it is essentially a celebration of the number 17. (OK, I still have no idea what that means)

Both Rich's and Roy's meal suggestions sound great.

Stay safe everyone.

Jim

Thanks Jim! Saved me a Google for what a yellow pig would be!

• Like 15

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Saturday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days!  I celebrate emoji’s daily 😉   Learned something new as once again, I had to check out one of the days.  

Yellow pig day is not about yellow pigs but the number 17.  Go figure!

DC77C901-D3C1-45FA-AF7C-215E80580021.thumb.jpeg.6909fae617384ac9616f32c303bf3482.jpeg

I love that quote by Rubinstein.  There’s a lot of truth in it!

The meal suggestion sounds good but we’ll pass as tonight we are having wagyu beef.  yes, WAGYU.  My butcher is bringing it in.  We didn’t get to Japan thanks to covid, but at least we can savour some of the flavour for the 1st time 😉  I’m picking it up today along with a few other things & will most likely be saying this:

3AAA6FE3-08AC-497E-9F95-1F31DB681347.jpeg.e07947db7832f9150bbb7df74d8e52bb.jpeg

I suspect many have been to today’s port so I’ll let them do the pictures.

I am getting ticked at the weatherman.  Big warnings, tear around, prepare and much ado about nothing IMO.  Sheesh.  Of course, if I hadn’t prepared, we would have been nailed.

But my day was off to a good start with the first HAL Bon Voyage in many months (once I remembered how to do it 😂)

I really enjoy watching the hydrangea change colours.  This is from last Sunday..

887F8078-51B4-4EE4-B778-9FD18C8F1652.thumb.jpeg.b602029b887098270abdacd02394f66c.jpeg

159A7C74-247E-4614-B7A3-38171F3A9A45.thumb.jpeg.f2608df4b0040bcc56d04f0ddd66e090.jpeg

And taken last night as it continues to change…

591B24A6-0DE2-4E1E-BE03-76B6DEA3A18B.thumb.jpeg.af56243a74c79197ef0e5aa861e03ead.jpeg

015A5C02-34C4-4463-AE56-637D03D75FCE.thumb.jpeg.20cfdcdc8ad98b847e81db8639069f6f.jpeg

Garden Club Participants - another good gardening tip 😉 

E6B1624D-1E34-4E41-BBB9-08125EA53CC7.thumb.jpeg.f229cad7abd950f3b2741b8df73f975f.jpeg

Prayers for those on the Care list & for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Saturday everyone!!!

EAECB8C6-29B3-45AB-A631-F04050DF473D.jpeg.725daa518d8a7c4a917e0e722f14a859.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 35
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am getting ticked at the weatherman.  Big warnings, tear around, prepare and much ado about nothing IMO.  Sheesh.  Of course, if I hadn’t prepared, we would have been nailed.

Glad your garden wasn't damaged.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, everyone.   

Another rainy day here in northeast Ohio.  It is supposed to clear up later today and tomorrow should be quite nice.  Today is going to be a real lazy day for me.  Every once in a while you have to have a day like today.  Maybe I'll pick out pain colors.

The peach ice cream sounds good, but I'll probably pass.  Emojis can be fun and cheers to the yellow pigs.  

Today's meal sounds wonderful.   

https://damndelicious.net/2021/03/26/sun-dried-tomato-chicken-and-gnocchi/

1972739605_Sundriedtomatoandchickengnocci.jpg.82f30f7f0d6416bbda896a1f22f5f200.jpg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Great group of days.  Interesting about the "yellow pig day"

The quote is so true.  And the meal sounds and looks good.

Prayers for our care list and toasts for the celebrations.

Stay safe, continue to social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Enamorada Sunrise:

Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz (3 parts) Tequila, 1/2 oz (1 part) Campari, 3 oz (6 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Pour the tequila and orange juice into glass over ice. Add the Campari, which will sink to the bottom. Do not stir. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Cherry, Orange slice
Drinkware: Collins glass

Screen Shot 2021-07-17 at 7.33.26 AM.png

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone.  Thanks for the daily report Rich.  Peach ice cream sounds perfect for today.  I try not to over do it with emojis although they do come in handy at times. I’m just not feeling it with the yellow pig day.  Rubinstein’s quote is so true. I think that we’ll pass on today’s dish as we’ve been avoiding carbs.  We love drift snorkeling at Klein Bonaire when we  visit Kralendijk, one of our favorite Caribbean ports.  Prayers for everyone on our prayer list today.  Cheers to everyone with a celebration today!

• Like 21

Good morning everyone.My daughter is taking us on an outing today to get some ice cream for Sam. I’m pretty sure it won’t be peach, although he’s been craving any flavor.

Yesterday the speech therapist came and gave him a cognitive and speech evaluation and said he doesn’t need speech therapy which was really evident to all of us. His problem solving skills are great. When I was young, my mother asked me to get gas for the car. I made it up the street and around the corner for about one quarter of a mile when the car died. No cell phone, and Inhave no recollection of how I solved  the situation , but I think someone brought me gas. I was traumatized and our car never goes below a quarter of a tank. The therapist asked Sam what he would do if his car ran out of gas. He replied it would never happen because I would not let it happen.

Today will be another over 90 degree scorcher.

Stay safe everyone,

Carol

• Like 36

Good Saturday morning!  Another lovely morning but who knows what the day will bring.  Yesterday I mentioned we might have showers in the afternoon and evening but we didn't see a drop.  I also wonder what the meteorologists are talking about sometimes.  If they have no idea of the future, they include a 30 or 40 or 50% chance of rain to cover their @***es.  😄

Love the Peach Ice Cream Day (especially here in Georgia).  Emojis are worthy of celebration.  Yellow Pig Day I can take or leave.  The menu item I might try once just out of curiosity.  My thanks to @richwmnand @rafinmdfor their daily contribution to our community.  Thanks to @kazufor her memes, gardening tips and her return to work on the Bon Voyage thread, a welcome addition.

We were in Kralendijk the first time in 2006 on Crown Princess.  Our daughter had had a difficult year having just gone through a divorce and having three youngsters, so DH and I took her on her first cruise.  It began in San Juan and was a Southern Caribbean cruise.  Our second time there was on Westerdam in 2016 and we went drift snorkeling for the first time.  

From our second trip as we loaded onto the catamaran for our drift snorkeling excursion (private CC tour).00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJlxJ9ivgyJrpM4uPaWeE96?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We headed to Klein Bonaire to this area to begin snorkeling.  The current was strong and it wasn't easy to stay with our guide, so quite of lot of energy expended that day!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJqkyZnGYqlARCNQNY7972i?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLKaWiZBZYpic6tVIAtWJXI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJMYrBypNkcEM7DJYefnoir?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

We did this tour on a lark and didn't even have an underwater camera, but I can assure you we saw some amazing sights.  The fish, the coral and underwater plants, and even the huge sea turtles.  Loved it!

After the snorkeling we walked through the town and checked out the people selling their hand made items like jewelry.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI61AlOa-8gKgWmytBZUapV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIaVgt3P4RIll4DWKWrSoRI?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium

It's a great stop on a Caribbean cruise.

• Like 33

Good Saturday morning!

Not sure about yellow pig, I love emojis (sometimes they say what you can't easily say in words!), and peach ice cream is always worthy of a day.

@mamaofamiso glad to hear your good news.  It sounds like Sam is getting back to his old self.  The mobility will come with more therapy and time.  Meanwhile, make sure you take care of yourself!!

We've been to Bonaire once, in 2012 on Caribbean Princess.  We didn't do any tours, but just walked around the town square with the vendors.  I bought a beautiful beach scene photo print.  I'd love to go back and see more of the island.

IMG_2846.thumb.JPG.a9e08c7f55b32146bc75faf61d3be011.JPG

IMG_2849.thumb.JPG.a50b390b9b4400f40f56719beb736ba3.JPG

I probably won't be on for a few days - DH and I are heading to upstate New York to Lake George for 4 days.  I've been going there since 1961 just about every year....until we discovered cruising!  Once cruising started, I had to save vacation days and vacation $$$ for that.  Since we haven't gone anywhere since 2019, it's time to go back and enjoy the beauty.

DSCN1253.thumb.JPG.b1f6982bdd6ba4e646f2072c50d5952b.JPG

DSCN3733.thumb.JPG.635ae3f3024e4dc9e2de81cce59f8b50.JPG

Stay well, hope all who need healing will get it, and celebrate safely!!

Laura

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good  morning  everyone. If  there  is  a  mathematician amongst  us,would  they  explain  the  reason  for  17  being  such  a  hot  number? Thanks. If  I  use  emoji's I  get  complaints so  I  try  to  limit  them. Peach  ice  cream  would  be  tasty  today. The  recipe  looks  delicious  and  the  quote  is  a  good  one.

The  weather  people  expect  thunderstorms  this  afternoon  and  evening so  we  will  have  to  run  our  errands  soon. I  am  glad @kazu,that  the  storms  stayed  away  from  your  plants  and  flowers,at  least  this  time.  It  was  so  nice  to  see  a  "Bon  Voyage" again! The  gardening  tip  was  especially  apt  as  DH  and  I  both  find  getting  up  from  the  ground  a bit  of  work. We  are  glad  that  we  still  can  do  it  although  it  is  not  pretty or  graceful.

Last  night  I  made  a  big  pot  of  vegetarian  chili  to  deliver  to  Tana  and  son  later  today. DD  went  on  a  baking  spree  in  spite  of  the  heat  and  made  a  carrot  cake  as  well  as  some  scones. All  I  have  to  do  is  make  a   big  salad later. Of  course  we  put  aside  some  of  the  food  for  us  to  have  this  evening  as  well.

My  best  to  all  of  the  Dailyites.  Please  stay  safe  out  there-the  smoke/fires  and  the  increasing  variant  numbers  are  worrisome.           Terry

• Like 22

Good Morning All,

We have thick cloud cover now that the sun (apparently) came up. I awoke to the pre-dawn “bird symphony”, which just ended. Our area is a bird sanctuary, so we have lots of them. Even the Long Beach/Santa Ana parrots make an occasional appearance.

We’re going BBQ shopping today. Should be loads of fun.🥴 We seem to disagree more than we agree on this project. Tonight I’m going to FishFest (a concert sponsored by a local radio station featuring several Christian artists.)

Oops. Hit “submit” too soon. I’m attaching the wine report.

Cat’s Wine Report:

Saxum James Berry Vineyard Paso Robles Willow Creek District

All released vintages of this Rhone red blend from Central Coast, California have spectacular ratings. The lowest rating for the 2016 vintage – 96! Of course the lowest online price I found was $95.00. Grab it if you find it within your budget locally. It sounds amazing.

Winemaker Notes
#22 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2019

Soaring aromatics of cherries and California sage, a beautiful, lush mouthfeel of red and black fruits, and a finish that is perhaps 3 miles long consisting of baking spice and fennel (maybe even 4 miles, it’s hard to say for sure). Fresh and lively, yet rich and pleasurable, it’s the ultimate combo.

Blend: 55% Grenache, 24% Mataro, 13% Syrah, 8% Counoise
WS97 Wine Spectator: Plush, polished and dynamic, with complexly layered blackberry, violet, garrigue, crushed stone and smoky pepper flavors that build richness and spirit toward refined tannins. Grenache, Syrah, Counoise and Mataro. Drink now through 2028

RP96 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: The 2016 James Berry Vineyard Red was made with 24% whole cluster and aged 21 months in 82% new French oak. Medium to deep ruby, the nose is super intense: cranberry jelly, raspberry, strawberry and red cherry jam aromas mingle with notes of spun sugar, orange oil, dried flowers, potpourri and loads of amaro accents. Medium to full-bodied, intense, layered and super pretty in the mouth with all those high-toned accents, it has a super finely grained frame, addicting freshness and a very long finish. This is on fire!

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 23
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for today's daily and care reports.

It is sunny and 80°F today.

Peach ice cream is lovely.

Bonaire is a lovely port.

Nice food and drink for today.

We called at Gretna Green then had a pizza at the designer outlet.

We then called at a pretty market town called Corbridge.

Hope everyone has a nice day 

Graham 

IMG_20210717_104321.jpg

IMG_20210717_113943.jpg

IMG_20210717_114028.jpg

IMG_20210717_140233.jpg

• Like 26

Good Morning Everyone from a bright and sunny day at the beach. 

Love peach ice cream, or any other flavor! Ice Cream is my downfall. No cooking today, we will have pizza. I have been to Bonaire and actually have neighbors who live there and also have a home here. They have not been able to come since covid started. They are hoping to get back in August.

The Disney Dream is heading out today on a test cruise. It will be nice to see a sail away. Very exciting to see that HAL is cruising again. Really hope all goes well.

@kplady   Have a wonderful time at Lake George. I spent a lot of time there growing up  but have not been back in a few years. It is beautiful there.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 24

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'd love to have some peach ice cream - I'm drinking peach tea right now.  Emojis are fun - I wish we'd have more emoji's to react to the posts on CC; a sadness emoji, a shocked emoji, a caring emoji . . .    Not quite sure how the number 17 is so special, but if that's your thing, then go for it!

Late yesterday afternoon DH and I decided to take a drive out to the family farm area, so we picked up some food and drinks on the way out of town.  As we drove through the countryside, we were surprised to see the sad state of the crops - many farmers are already cutting theirs down to use as silage, and there are many that are already burnt.  That doesn't bode well for the future, as we are a major wheat and canola producing province - I'm sure it's going to translate into higher prices for flour and cooking oil, so it's time to stock up for the winter.

We stopped and enjoyed our take-out dinners at a lovely picnic site overlooking the North Saskatchewan River and were happy that the breezes kept both the mosquitos and smoke to a minimum.  Returning home later in the evening, we again encountered much smoke from forest fires, but it made for a beautiful red sunset.

Sun.JPG.ed8f2b34fc94e4a1816abc05db926c5e.JPG

@mamaofami I'm happy to hear Sam is making great progress.

@kazu so glad you didn't get the storm that was predicted, but of course if you hadn't prepared . . .

Neither of us is a fan of gnocchi, so I'll pass on today's menu suggestion.  Friends have suggested the four of us head over to a small outdoor patio where tonight the special is steak and Caesar salad.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the glasses to toast all on the happy list.  Be safe, stay well, wash your hands, wear your masks when you need to, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 25

Off the coast of Puerto Rico on the MS Koningsdam. Thanks for the Daily and all the contributions to our newspaper. It will be my last year of having a daily newspaper delivered to the house. The publishers now want $680.00 for a yearly subscription!😱

image.thumb.jpeg.e031a1f22e797f7be364ab37bcd1aa1e.jpeg

• Like 25