New Princess packages - worth it or not?

Amster12345

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, geoherb said:

I could see starting with mimosas in the morning, having wine at lunch, a beer in the afternoon, a cocktail before dinner, wine with dinner, and a cocktail after dinner.

Yup! I can see that too... hopefully 😉 

21 hours ago, geoherb said:

I'll skip getting the drink package. I'll buy one or two drinks a day for a whole lot less. It's going to be better for my liver and my weight. I could see starting with mimosas in the morning, having wine at lunch, a beer in the afternoon, a cocktail before dinner, wine with dinner, and a cocktail after dinner.

You may want to do your math again.

1straight alcoholic drink = approximately $10

1 cocktail = approximately $12

1 wine = approximately $13

1 beer = approximately $7

1 specialty coffee = approximately $4

1 soda = approximately $2.50

1 milkshake = approximately $3.50

The beverage portion of the plus fare is around $20/pp/day. If you purchase one to two drinks a day the amount may not be a "whole lot less" and you would have unlimited (with few exclusions) non-alcoholic beverages.  

2 hours ago, skynight said:

You may want to do your math again.

1straight alcoholic drink = approximately $10

1 cocktail = approximately $12

1 wine = approximately $13

1 beer = approximately $7

1 specialty coffee = approximately $4

1 soda = approximately $2.50

1 milkshake = approximately $3.50

The beverage portion of the plus fare is around $20/pp/day. If you purchase one to two drinks a day the amount may not be a "whole lot less" and you would have unlimited (with few exclusions) non-alcoholic beverages.  

That would make sense if I were able to get the package for $40 a day. It was $103 a day for me because of the Drop & Go fare. As of now, the Princess website isn't even showing the Princess Plus fare as an option for my date. But here's another example where the difference is $100 day for the cruise the week before mine.

temp.jpg

Interesting

Looked up a random 7 night Caribbean cruise for April 2022. Plus fare was $1,599, No frills fare, $1,299. Works out to $40/pp/day. Probably drop & go fares are low enough that $40/pp/day doesn't make any sense for Princess.  

16 hours ago, skynight said:

Probably drop & go fares are low enough that $40/pp/day doesn't make any sense for Princess.  

Princess makes $$$ (profit) offering the plus fare increment of $40/day/person or they would not offer it. This is true if someone booked the lowest price inside cabin or the most expensive full suite.

They would still be making $$$ (profit) if someone booked at a special rate such as "drop & go." Price of cabin has no relationship to profit from the plus fare increment, So, to me, it makes no sense that the $40/day would not apply in this case also.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, caribill said:

Princess makes $$$ (profit) offering the plus fare increment of $40/day/person or they would not offer it. This is true if someone booked the lowest price inside cabin or the most expensive full suite.

They would still be making $$$ (profit) if someone booked at a special rate such as "drop & go." Price of cabin has no relationship to profit from the plus fare increment, So, to me, it makes no sense that the $40/day would not apply in this case also.

Maybe. Another analysis. All fares include a profit margin. When a fare is offered at cost or below cost Princess would expect the profit to come from onboard spending. Offering the $40 add on may not cover the expected profits. Thus they have to raise the add on amount. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skynight said:

Maybe. Another analysis. All fares include a profit margin. When a fare is offered at cost or below cost Princess would expect the profit to come from onboard spending. Offering the $40 add on may not cover the expected profits. Thus they have to raise the add on amount. 

In some cases to more than the total cost of paying for each component separately.

• Like 2

On 7/31/2021 at 11:16 AM, skynight said:

Interesting

Looked up a random 7 night Caribbean cruise for April 2022. Plus fare was $1,599, No frills fare, $1,299. Works out to $40/pp/day. Probably drop & go fares are low enough that $40/pp/day doesn't make any sense for Princess.  

That is what it worked out per day on our December 2021 Panama Canal cruise.  We are are three generations in three cabins.  We did the math and got Princess Plus for the two cabins booked for the adults, all of whom imbibe to varying degrees, and the basic fare for the cabin booked for the teenagers.  

For anyone doing the math to determine their own personal cost benefit analysis  on Princess Plus vs purchasing items separately  I thought I would provide the current costs of the various drink packages:

7 day premium beverage package $495.53

7 day soda package $82.53

7 day Premier coffee and soda package $165.13

coffee package (15 specialty coffees, unlimited brewed coffee and tea) $36.58 

On 7/30/2021 at 3:37 AM, PaperSniper4 said:

You need that beer and wine to calm your nerves after all that caffeine!😉

I got incredulous looks from one passenger when I ordered Black Eye Coffee. She asked what that was and I told her it's just a regular Black Coffee with a Double Shot of Espresso added. (A Red Eye only has a single shot of Espresso added to the regular black coffee.)

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Thrak said:

I got incredulous looks from one passenger when I ordered Black Eye Coffee. She asked what that was and I told her it's just a regular Black Coffee with a Double Shot of Espresso added. (A Red Eye only has a single shot of Espresso added to the regular black coffee.)

Sounds pretty good to me this morning!😉

14 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

For anyone doing the math to determine their own personal cost benefit analysis  on Princess Plus vs purchasing items separately  I thought I would provide the current costs of the various drink packages:

Don't forget the 12 qty bottled water package you can order pre-cruise $7.08

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, pompeii said:

Don't forget the 12 qty bottled water package you can order pre-cruise $7.08

Where can I order this?

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Where can I order this?

You can order water in the Personalizer. Go to onboard services and then select beverage packages.  You can only get the water packages if you order in advance, it is not available onboard. 

you can also order small bottles of alcohol for your room by going to onboard services  and then Princess Cellars.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shelly97060 said:

With respect, I do not think this is a valid way to do the analysis. 

No one in their right mind would purchase the premium beverage package with normal two adults in a cabin - even for one person.  The PLUS is $560 in your example and $203 of that goes to Crew Incentive, not even to mention the internet value. 

If all one drinks is soda or soda and coffee, those packages are both less than the cost of PLUS, less Crew Incentive.  ($165 and $330).

I believe the most logical way is to take the PLUS cost of $560 and subtract Crew Incentive of $203 (assuming a regular type cabin, but adjust if you go upscale).  This leaves $357. 

Next, subtract a value for internet if you would order that regardless of having PLUS package.  This amount is going to be variable, depending on your Captain's Circle status.  Basically, $35/pp/week with status (Elite/Platinum) and $70/pp/week without status. 

Subtract whatever value you personally have for Internet from the $357 and you have a net figure to allocate to beverages. 

Now, think about what you would typically consume from water, coffees, sodas, wine, bar drinks in a day.  You can even think about sea days versus port days.  See if that is less than or more than the net left for beverages from the PLUS fee. 

Note that you can buy a starter water packages of 12 bottles for $7.08, including the 18% grat.  Only pre-cruise, so that is a factor as well not listed.  

I find the above to be the best way to figure out if there is value for us.

51 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

With respect, I do not think this is a valid way to do the analysis. 

No one in their right mind would purchase the premium beverage package with normal two adults in a cabin - even for one person.  The PLUS is $560 in your example and $203 of that goes to Crew Incentive, not even to mention the internet value. 

If all one drinks is soda or soda and coffee, those packages are both less than the cost of PLUS, less Crew Incentive.  ($165 and $330).

I believe the most logical way is to take the PLUS cost of $560 and subtract Crew Incentive of $203 (assuming a regular type cabin, but adjust if you go upscale).  This leaves $357. 

Next, subtract a value for internet if you would order that regardless of having PLUS package.  This amount is going to be variable, depending on your Captain's Circle status.  Basically, $35/pp/week with status (Elite/Platinum) and $70/pp/week without status. 

Subtract whatever value you personally have for Internet from the $357 and you have a net figure to allocate to beverages. 

Now, think about what you would typically consume from water, coffees, sodas, wine, bar drinks in a day.  You can even think about sea days versus port days.  See if that is less than or more than the net left for beverages from the PLUS fee. 

Note that you can buy a starter water packages of 12 bottles for $7.08, including the 18% grat.  Only pre-cruise, so that is a factor as well not listed.  

I find the above to be the best way to figure out if there is value for us.

I think these things are frequently not thought about when people choose the Plus fare.  If you are on a port intensive cruise, you may not be on the ship most days for a glass of wine with lunch or a mid-morning mochaccino.  Or a few beers or umbrella drinks at the pool in the afternoon.  Cuts down on your opportunities to get your money's worth out of the beverage portion of the Plus fare.  I'm pretty sure the Princess bean counters have thought this all through, and they are not giving anything away for free.  

Also keep in mind that both passengers in the cabin have to purchase Plus, so if one isn't much of a drinker the other would have to pick up the slack to make it pay. 

On 7/19/2021 at 2:17 AM, CarelessAndConfused said:

I assume it is a 7 day coastal and that it is $280 per person.  There are lots of threads regarding the Princess Plus option.  From a solo's perspective that only has to pay $280 and not $560, approximately $105 or so will for the gratuities, which I assume you intend to not retract.  Hence I would be left with a $175 or so for unlimited drinks and wifi.  I need the Wifi which is about $10 per day.  If would be about $5 if you are Platinum or Elite, which I'm not yet and I assume you are not since you are asking this question.  So the question comes down to is it worth $15/day for drinks for me  ($15 grats + $10 Wifi + $15 unlimited drinks = $40 per day).  Please note that the drinks do not include premium brands.

Looking at it for two gets more complicated because there are variables of can you guys share Wifi, are one you a big drinker.  And so forth.  Basically, you have to do a lot of math and sort it all out.

Also you need to add 18% tax onto your drinks???

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

You know what... for most people, I suspect that it doesn't take a complex calculation to work out if the drinks package is going to be worthwhile... at least for me it is simple...

A cocktail is $12 + gratuity so $14

A morning latte is going to be about $5

A Beer is about $8

A glass of wine about $9

So, my typical consumption for most days is about... 3 cocktails, 1 beer, 1 coffee and 2 glasses of wine...

3 x $14 = $42

1 x $5 = $5

1 x $8 = $8

2 x $9 =$9

Total = $64 per day... so definitely value for money. Even if I only had one cocktail a day that is still $36 so pretty close. Of course, that is way, way more than I would ever drink at home but this is not home and it is for a limited period so I am happy to enjoy myself without having to concern myself over the cost.

Guest Snaxmuppet
50 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Ummm... You might want to check your math. 🤪

LOL! Hick! 🤦‍♂️

Typical isn't it... trying to make it easy and instead I just screw up. Still, it makes the package look even more attractive for me 🙂