The Daily for Wednesday July 21, 2021

richwmn

2 hours ago, dfish said:

I'm laughing because when I took kids on trips through Europe one of my rules was no fast food.  Woe to them if I caught them in McDonald's or Burger KIng.

I had the same rule when I made the trips with college students. And it was amazing the things they learned to eat and enjoy on those trips.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, richwmn said:

Thanks, my cruise isn't till 9/4 so HAL has a few weeks to work things out before it is my turn.

Lisa @LAFFNVEGAS starts us off Saturday and will be reporting on how things go. I will be in Seattle two days prior to the cruise visiting with @Cruising-along, her DH, and @LMM1801. Should be a very nice time.

Rich, that is great. I had not realized you were on the 9/4 cruise. I will finally get to meet you since we are returning on 9/4 as well. We are guessing we will see lots of changes between this Saturdays cruise and 5 weeks later. But then again with covid tending to be a problem again things may not change much as far as protocol on the ship. My guess is they will have worked the bugs out with the Navigator App.

• Like 17

Good morning, all! We are all a somebody, but most people don’t realize it. It will be hard to resist hotdogs and junk food today, and I doubt DH will even try. Hopefully tomorrow is ‘For the Love of God, Eat a Salad’ Day. There are scallops in the freezer. I can have those and DH can have a hotdog. He dislikes seafood. Scalloped potatoes were on the menu either way. It’s a nice cool day for that. We haven’t been to today’s port - yet. The pictures are appreciated.

Im extremely pleased with yesterday’s botanical prints. I printed two pieces of silk to make a top from later. Without getting too technical and boring, it’s a mix of sharp clear prints and softer ghost prints, where the original has been allowed to bleed through to the layers below it. I’ve been experimenting with my own cocktail of modifiers, and the leaves reacted to it as I had hoped.

To become front and back of a silk top.

240FE264-0B98-4B5F-962C-E8D735327535.thumb.jpeg.5cbd20c4077667bbdd9b0fd1e5d74dcf.jpeg

Leaves and ghosts. Different from my usual style of print, but I love it!
F7AFDD0A-E864-440F-B938-F3721A509215.thumb.jpeg.4052978c1d358a77a49ae57fbbe8e240.jpeg

DD is taking a friend off island for an eye exam today. Lunch, shopping, and exploring will find their way into the day somewhere. Preferably before the friends eyes are dilated.

Happy Wednesday. I can’t wait to wear my printed top to the MDR on a BHB!

4EF591FD-A43A-4C6B-AD65-C8E32C5F6565.thumb.jpeg.0c3f75c4066165e66ce280f99631d9ee.jpeg

• Like 33

Good morning all!

My goodness, 3rd page already and I'm only on my second cup of coffee. 😃

Today I will be me as always, do like a hot dog once in awhile, and junk food too -- especially if it's the chocolate variety. 😉  Will pass on the scallops, and like @grapau27do love Sauvignon Blanc but from Marlborough.  I tried a French variety recently and it just wasn't the same -- that said, I'd like to try this one.  I'm chuckling over the mention of Boxwood Flower -- which is quite an unpleasant odor IMO. So this one has that "eau de cat ..." I assume.  😆

Running late today and have to get ready to meet a friend for lunch...have a wonderful day everyone, stay safe!

• Like 20

3 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:The pictures are appreciated.

Im extremely pleased with yesterday’s botanical prints. I printed two pieces of silk to make a top from later. Without getting too technical and boring, it’s a mix of sharp clear prints and softer ghost prints, where the original has been allowed to bleed through to the layers below it. I’ve been experimenting with my own cocktail of modifiers, and the leaves reacted to it as I had hoped.

240FE264-0B98-4B5F-962C-E8D735327535.thumb.jpeg.5cbd20c4077667bbdd9b0fd1e5d74dcf.jpeg

Leaves and ghosts. Different from my usual style of print, but I love it! 376.42 kB · 0 downloads
F7AFDD0A-E864-440F-B938-F3721A509215.thumb.jpeg.4052978c1d358a77a49ae57fbbe8e240.jpeg

Wow, just WOW, Laura!

• Like 13

18 minutes ago, LAFFNVEGAS said:

Rich, that is great. I had not realized you were on the 9/4 cruise. I will finally get to meet you since we are returning on 9/4 as well.

I haven't really announced it, it's not on @kazu's list but I have posted a couple of times on the roll call and I'm following it. I'm looking forward to meeting you as well.

• Like 13

In honor of National Be Someone Day, a quote from Abraham Lincoln -- "Whatever you are, be a good one."

My October cruise is booked! Didn't actually get to talk to my PCC today to book, but thank you Roy for the celebration! Now the countdown begins.

We had a scary moment in Fakarava in 2019. We had joined the CC group for some marvelous snorkeling & food - a terrific day. When we got back to the harbor, it was a little tricky getting out of the excursion boat. DH slipped and fell backwards, hitting his back on one of the benches. I thought for sure he'd be hurt, but he later said that nothing was injured but his pride! I'll see if I can find some pictures from that gorgeous spot.

• Like 17

Good day all. Just announced, the US border will remain closed to non essential travel until august 21. This does not affect Canada’s decision to open our border to vaccinated land travellers on August 9th. Not sure why the USA decision but there it is. 

cooler here today but still hazy with smoke from the fires out west and in northern Ontario. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I hope your doctor's appointment goes well for you today Sandi.

Graham.

It went fine though much too long, waiting a long time.  My doctor's office is always slow.

Just trying to figure out why I have a chronic cough.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Both her and the Veendam were bought by a Greek company called Seajets.  The Maasdam is now called Aegean Myth.  Incidentally, I am not very clever, but Google is my friend.

Google used to be my friend too but I don't like the amount of data they collect on users anymore.  There are other search engines and one called DuckDuckGo.com doesn't track you at all.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

It went fine though much too long, waiting a long time.  My doctor's office is always slow.

My DH now has an appointment to figure that out, too.  DD has been bugging him for weeks to go in.  We think it's because of his blood pressure medicine, also he's very tired, and falls asleep as soon as he sits down.  Did your doctor decide?

I have a little cough, too, at night mainly, but we figure it's from reflux.  

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone,

I will be someone today...me!  Not a hot dog fan but need to stop enjoying junk food as much as I do.

Looking forward to port pictures.

Thanks for having the wildfires on the prayer list.  On the news last night we saw pictures of the Bootleg fire and how it is making it's own weather.  Can't explain how but the huge clouds we unbelievable and they were producing more lightning storms over the area.  Unbelievable.  Those firefighters working the fire are awesome people.  They definitely need our prayers.

No smoke here from the fire as the breeze is from the ocean.

Looking forward to reports from those cruising soon.  

Off to accomplish something in my garden I hope.  Dahlias are in full bloom and the bumble bees are busy working on other plants. 

Thanks for all the posts, list, pictures and cheer that people spread here.

Take care, stay well and safe.

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

My DH now has an appointment to figure that out, too.  DD has been bugging him for weeks to go in.  We think it's because of his blood pressure medicine, also he's very tired, and falls asleep as soon as he sits down.  Did your doctor decide?

I have a little cough, too, at night mainly, but we figure it's from reflux.  

They're still not sure.  They want to rule out reflux by trying Pepcid first.  I tried generic Prilosec last spring which was much too harsh on my stomach and I gave up after 3 days.  Doctor had suggested it.  It made my stomach hurt when I ate and drank anything, and in between as well.

After we see how I react to Pepcid they may have to move on to an ENT to send a little camera down my nostril and throat to check the condition of my throat and get some clues.  Is that called a laryngoscopy?

• Like 12

34 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Do you take lisinopril or monopril?  That was the culprit for my chronic cough ( that back then we thought was cruise cough). ☹️

• Like 13

Good afternoon all!  We returned home from our short visit to Lake George...it was as beautiful as I remembered (haven't been there in 11 years - too busy cruising most years!).  I just finished reading today's Daily, will now go back and read Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. 

Hope everyone is doing well.  Take care of yourselves!!

Laura

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I printed two pieces of silk to make a top from later. Without getting too technical and boring, it’s a mix of sharp clear prints and softer ghost prints, where the original has been allowed to bleed through to the layers below it. I’ve been experimenting with my own cocktail of modifiers, and the leaves reacted to it as I had hoped.

Leaves and ghosts. Different from my usual style of print, but I love it! 376.42 kB · 0 downloads

Another pretty piece of fabric for a great blouse.  👋 And you won't run into another lady wearing the same top in the MDR on a BHB.  😃  I really like the piece with the leaves and ghosts.  It gives it a nice 3-D effect.

Lenda

• Like 14

1 minute ago, kplady said:

Good afternoon all!  We returned home from our short visit to Lake George...it was as beautiful as I remembered (haven't been there in 11 years - too busy cruising most years!).  I just finished reading today's Daily, will now go back and read Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. 

Hope everyone is doing well.  Take care of yourselves!!

Laura

Laura, glad you enjoyed your trip and that Lake George was as you remembered.  Glad you made it home safely.

Lenda

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

Do you take lisinopril or monopril?  That was the culprit for my chronic cough ( that back then we thought was cruise cough). ☹️

Norvasc will do it, too.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, dfish said:

I'm laughing because when I took kids on trips through Europe one of my rules was no fast food.  Woe to them if I caught them in McDonald's or Burger KIng.

One summer I spent several weeks in Madrid taking Spanish classes.  I lived with a lady near the school.  She provided breakfast and dinner daily.  I was on my own for lunch.  One night she suggested that we go out to eat.  I was excited to be going out to dinner in a Spanish restaurant.  The laugh was on me.  She took me to Pizza Hut.  The next time out we went to McDonald's.  Sigh......

I mostly agree with you but in a pinch we found Italian ones have great salads and at times gelato! In Germany there is beer.. and then there are the McFlurry flavours…

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 13
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, kb4683 said:

No I don't.  DH takes lisinopril and has no problem with a cough (unless he's had a cold or something) but I've heard that is a common issue.

• Like 7