Formal nights

28 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I don't consider it formal either. It's resort casual at best.  I don't even consider the below formal, but I do consider it on the higher end of resort chic:

See the source image

Now this is formal IMO (and what you can expect on Cunard because our English friends TOTALLY know how to dress :))......

See the source image

How do you even pack a gown like that? Sheesh! Some people have a really odd concept of vacation and relaxation!

4 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I remember when people used to dress up for airplane flights. Now I see pajamas and clothes so tight you can make out every, ahem, contour beneath. LOL!

Considering how much they make you strip down to go through security now, it's just a lot easier to start off nearly naked. 😋

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CruizinKittie40 said:

Does NCL have formal nights and if so how dressy are they?  We are doing a 7 night to the Mediterranean and have two specialty dining credits.  Are the specialty dining establishments dressy or does the main dining room have a formal night? 

Apologies if this has been discussed before.  Either I don't know how to search just the NCL forums or I'm just not good at searching but I didn't find anything. 

NCL embraces Freestyle dining. There are no formal nights. NCL calls it Dress-up or Not (more people select Not). 

Shorts are allowed in all restaurants for all meals except Le Bistro which asks that gents wear long pants (dockers or jeans are fine, and a collared shirt).

If you are sailing on the Breakaway, Getaway, Escape, Bliss, Joy, Encore, Ocean Blue requests gents wear long pants/collared. If you are sailing on the Epic or small ships, the aft MDR asks that gents wear long pants/collared shirt (that is the Manhattan Room on the Epic). 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

How do you even pack a gown like that? Sheesh! Some people have a really odd concept of vacation and relaxation!

The gowns, formal dresses, and who-would-ever-want-to-wear-shoes have not made the suit case in many years.... thank goodness 🙂 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

This type of dress I wouldn't be packed in a "suitcase"; it would be brought in a garment bag along with his Tux.  I've only done this on road trips when a formal evening was 1 of the events we had to attend.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

Considering how much they make you strip down to go through security now, it's just a lot easier to start off nearly naked. 😋

IKR? I've been tempted to show up in just a Speedo to make it easier on them, LOL!

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

In the 'old days' this is how people did it on nearly every cruise. Back in the 80's I carried on long gowns. Back then there was no limit to luggage and security wasn't an issue. Thank goodness, things have changed and NCL is, by far, the most relaxed. I currently can pack for a 7 day cruise in a carry on 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, DCGuy64 said:

IKR? I've been tempted to show up in just a Speedo to make it easier on them, LOL!

YOu two are going in the opposite direction of me. When we traveled to Glacier National Park I wore three layers of clothes and a coat on the plane (needed to pack for cold temps) so I didn't have to pay for luggage lol.,

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

YOu two are going in the opposite direction of me. When we traveled to Glacier National Park I wore three layers of clothes and a coat on the plane (needed to pack for cold temps) so I didn't have to pay for luggage lol.,

That's smart! When they started charging for even carry-on bags, I would try to wear 3 layers, too. 🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Now this is formal IMO (and what you can expect on Cunard because our English friends TOTALLY know how to dress :))......

According to the 1922 Emily Post Etiquette that I just happen to have handy, that is informal. Formal would be white tie and tails, but even the English have eased up a bit. At the time she was writing, black tie (tuxedo) was the upper-crust's way of relaxing, a tiny bit, at summer resorts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I have a booking for a Bering Sea cruise next year. Most of us are talking about bring warm clothes, if not exactly parkas, but one person has mentioned walking around the deck in a Speedo.

one of the major selling points (if not the main point) is norwegian's "free style cruising" i only wear jeans, t-shirts with pictures or logos, and if its cold on deck, i'll throw on a hoodie. the only place that gave me any type of grief was le bistro. i had to go back and put  on a collared shirt. fortunately, i had a golf (polo) shirt and that was fine. consequently, i dont go back to le bistro, even though it's on the dinner package and a freebie because we're platinum +.

even free, i steer clear of that place. no other specialty restaurant hassles you, and i dont wear a suit anymore. i spent 30 years in a suit and tie daily, so even on dress up or not nights, i'll stay on deck, or in my cabin with my kindle (sounds boring i know) but after 10 years and 18 ncl cruises, i dont feel like im missing anything. ive also noticed most of the fellow passengers dont dress up,and i may be jaded at my age, but i dont need a picture with the captain.

that being said, however, if you want to dress up enjoy!

5 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

And THAT’S the whole point of “Freestyle”…My everyday life is very casual, so cruising affords me the opportunity to dress up.  Packing a gown or a suit might take up more room in a suitcase than a bikini but taking the time and having a reason to dress up IS my idea of a vacation.  It’s not odd at all to me.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JamieLogical said:

Haha! Trust me, I am sailing on Celebrity for the first time this Sunday and the dress code is a WHOLE THING. I had to spend $200 on new clothes just so I could eat food on the ship....

Well tell us what you bought! 🙂 

I'll go first.. I just bought this dress from Athleta. It is long, super flattering and you can adjust the side ties to either be loose or tied at the back to enhance waist. The material is a quick dry no wrinkle technical type fabric. I tried it on the store, but found it new with tags in a teal color on ebay for $75. I had to go down a full size. 

Edited by classy_cruiser

2 hours ago, ClevelandCruisin said:

The most formal I get is a pilot shirt and black pants. Freestyle cruising at its best. I'm on vacation,  why would I want to dress up?

Totally agreed! Some don't bother reading the NCL site information, however, it's there and yes, you're absolutely within the dress code.  

I'm a rule follower, other's, maybe not but NCL's dress code is so broad that almost anyone can fall into a category which would allow them to dine a nice restaurant.  

My only thing is... if I want to dine in a restaurant which asks for a higher level of dress, IE. RESORT CASUAL, and I come dressed in casual (ie. shorts and t-shirt) instead of Resort Casual and I'm asked to go to a different dining room, how will/would I feel about that, who would feel embarrassed/ possibly even angry b/c of that suggestion on a cruise.  Especially if they've been told that they'd be fine in that attire? 

Just wondering.... 

14 hours ago, classy_cruiser said:

Well tell us what you bought! 🙂 

I'll go first.. I just bought this dress from Athleta. It is long, super flattering and you can adjust the side ties to either be loose or tied at the back to enhance waist. The material is a quick dry no wrinkle technical type fabric. I tried it on the store, but found it new with tags in a teal color on ebay for $75. I had to go down a full size. 

This post has a couple examples of what I bought:

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 10:31 AM, Trimone said:

There is an old and well established rule that brown shoes after 6pm are inappropriate. That only black shoes are acceptable at night. However, this rule is not practiced as widely as it once was. 

As a matter of fact brown shoes are now in style with black and /or grey suits. No evening rules anymore.  

• Like 1