How many months left do you need on a passport us closed loop cruise

maggieq

Yes, usually 6 months. But you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise departing and returning from the same US port if you're a US citizen. Certified birth certificate and a photo ID will suffice.

13 minutes ago, floatn said:

Yes, usually 6 months. But you don't need a passport for a closed loop cruise departing and returning from the same US port if you're a US citizen. Certified birth certificate and a photo ID will suffice.

The OP may be asking because of the possibility of being disembarked to quarantine. A passport makes it easier to eventually fly home.

We sent for our passports June 2. I tried to do on line check in using the expiration date of our old passport and was told it wasn't valid, had to be after the end of the cruise.  It was, but only by one day. Checked in using Drivers License and Birth Certificate. This is on a closed loop cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. I suggest that if you try to check in using the passport and it is rejected just use DL & BC. If we get our passports back on time we'll certainly take them.

Asking as I am looking for a possible backup plan if the delta cases continue to rise through September.    We have a trip that was rescheduled for September 3 but we still have to test to return to the US.  Thinking a cruise from Ft lauderdale would be a good option but concerned about the passport requirement as ours expire early March 2022.  Do not have a US birth certificate 

23 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Asking as I am looking for a possible backup plan if the delta cases continue to rise through September.    We have a trip that was rescheduled for September 3 but we still have to test to return to the US.  Thinking a cruise from Ft lauderdale would be a good option but concerned about the passport requirement as ours expire early March 2022.  Do not have a US birth certificate 

23 minutes ago, maggieq said:

Trip to Aruba.  For some reason it would not let me edit to add 

None of the islands in the Caribbean region require passport validity times.  Mexico and Canada require 3 months if you are arriving by land/air, not transit cruise ship passengers.  Some cruise lines have a 6 month rule for all itineraries but that is by cruise line.

23 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We sent for our passports June 2. I tried to do on line check in using the expiration date of our old passport and was told it wasn't valid, had to be after the end of the cruise.  It was, but only by one day. Checked in using Drivers License and Birth Certificate. This is on a closed loop cruise from Ft. Lauderdale. I suggest that if you try to check in using the passport and it is rejected just use DL & BC. If we get our passports back on time we'll certainly take them.

How long did it take to get your renewal?   We need extra pages and I was hearing the waiting time was about 6 weeks to 2 months.    We are holding tight until the end of our September cruise to see if things improve.  

Celebrity FAQ say-  

All travelers, including children, require a valid passport. Celebrity Cruises® strongly recommends that all guests travel with a passport that is valid for at least six (6) months beyond the end of their cruise.

The key word is they say "Strongly Recommend" 

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

How long did it take to get your renewal?   We need extra pages and I was hearing the waiting time was about 6 weeks to 2 months.    We are holding tight until the end of our September cruise to see if things improve.  

I have been reading that there is a huge backlog of passport renewal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

I have been reading that there is a huge backlog of passport renewal.

On news this morning they said State Department removed the option to book last minute appointments to prevent passport expediters from grabbing all the slots.  You now need to call if you need an in person appointment. 

The article say they are currently experience 18 week processing time. Paying $60 expedition fee can drop wait down to 12 weeks. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/news/2021/07/22/passport-appointments-last-minute-bookings-no-longer-available-online/8058178002/

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

We're still waiting. Luckily it is a closed loop in mid October so we have some time. Otherwise we'll use our dl and bc.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI: I received my renewed passport yesterday, and DH's is expected tomorrow🤞

It took 14.5 weeks from the day they received my application (which I had sent via overnight USPS priority mail per instructions) to the day I received my renewed passport (they had sent it 1-day UPS air). Be aware that our applications were not shown in their system for the first 6 weeks, and they did not seem to count those 6 weeks as part of the predicted - at the time we applied -  8 weeks for expedited renewal.

Based on our experience, I would definitely recommend springing for expedited renewal unless you'll have no need for your passport for at least six months.

Best of luck to those of you who are still waiting. I hope you'll receive them soon!

Edited by Silkroad

I called rccl and celebrity and they said the 6 months piece is just recommended for a closed loop cruise.   They said it is required for international  cruises?.

We are considering canceling our trip to Aruba on 9/3 because of the testing coming back to the USA.   I cannot take a chance I will test positive and have another weeks or so in quarantine.   So taking a closed loop cruise the same week to get away would be a good backup to me. 

12 minutes ago, maggieq said:

I called rccl and celebrity and they said the 6 months piece is just recommended for a closed loop cruise.   They said it is required for international  cruises?.

We are considering canceling our trip to Aruba on 9/3 because of the testing coming back to the USA.   I cannot take a chance I will test positive and have another weeks or so in quarantine.   So taking a closed loop cruise the same week to get away would be a good backup to me. 

Yes, I’ve been told six months for international trips.

You would be able to use your government issued birth certificate (not a hospital birth registration) and your drivers license for a closed loop Caribbean cruise. Many thanks to @CHEZMARYLOUwho reminded me that we could do this if our renewed passports didn’t turn up in time.

Edited by Silkroad

We sent them together....mine went to Detroit for processing....hubby's went Philly pa.  None of it makes any sense.  Thank goodness we sail this weekend with a closed loop.  However, we are going to Punta Cana in September and we will need them.  What a fiasco

I agree. It doesn’t make sense. I overnighted ours (separate envelopes) to Philly as instructed. They both ended up in NH. I hope you have a wonderful cruise! Fingers crossed that your passports will arrive by the time you return.

23 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

How did you figure out where they were finally sent for processing?

Ours went to NH and I believe we we’re notified, living in MA it wasn’t a surprise NH was where it was processed.