What Do You Like Or Dislike About The Koningsdam

mcrcruiser

We sailed on Koningsdam  twice   . The strange thing we noticed was the main pool .when you enter holding onto the railing it is deeper than the far end of the pool. The  far end was shallow  .We never seen that on all the ships we sailed in over 80 cruises  .Every thing else we loved about this Pinnacle class vessel & we loved the new  main theatre  

What are your feelings about Koningsdam 

No promenade to walk or sit on, ocean bar has no ocean view, always a mess with disembarking,

hardly any space to walk around the indoor pool, heavy smoking at outside pool, crows nest just a glorified coffee shop, lido always a mess  and in general no atmosphere at all on the whole dam ship..

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We have sailed on her twice and thoroughly enjoyed it. For us after 30 Hal cruises in a row it was almost like being on a new cruise line but with the same wonderful crew we’ve grown to love.

All the new dining venues and options. 

Many are not happy with the Prominade as it is narrower and does not have deck chairs.

Lido a little busy during prime eating times but there are so many places to eat. It’s a large ship but we were always able to find our space. 

Give it a try.

• Like 3

Just now, Sir PMP said:

No promenade to walk or sit on, ocean bar has no ocean view, always a mess with disembarking,

hardly any space to walk around the indoor pool, heavy smoking at outside pool, crows nest just a glorified coffee shop, lido always a mess  and in general no atmosphere at all on the whole dam ship..

Lol. Could I say you don’t like it?😁 There is a Promenade and you can walk around it. Albeit narrower but one can get their walks in.

• Like 4

We love Tamarind & Pinnacle . We never have eaten in the  Orange Restaurant . Although we know where the Dutch Safe is located ,we have yet tried the dutch foods . Perhaps in Msrch 2022 where we booked Koningsdam for the 7 night Mexico cruise 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Lol. Could I say you don’t like it?😁 There is a Promenade and you can walk around it. Albeit narrower but one can get their walks in.

I agree .what seems to be happening is a lack of wide promenades on all new built ships for the main stream  cruise lines 

• Like 1

We did a transatlantic cruise in 2018 and even had a fairly forward cabin (first ever).  We enjoyed the whole ship and our balcony.  DW even came out and sat with me on it.  No problem with motion.

Would really loved to  cruise again and especially on the Koningsdam.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

I agree .what seems to be happening is a lack of wide promenades on all new built ships for the main stream  cruise lines 

I believe the new Prominades were required changes since Concordia and also to be able to transient Panama Canal. I’m not a fan of Ocean Bar and we often go to Tamarind Bar for a quieter and more scenic pre dinner libation.

For me, I'm not interested in a wider Promenade, nor the deck chairs on it.

Loved NOTES, Dutch Cafe and the BIG cookies, the stand-alone Rudi's, the Verandah rooms are bigger than the Signature classes, Tamarind and Nami Sushi, Rolling Stones Rock Room, and the super deep verandahs on the 15 - 17 rooms at the aft on deck 4.

I did a video of our room (4191) in January of 2019....You can see how deep the verandahs are!

Edited by leerathje
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We sailed on Koningsdam  twice   . The strange thing we noticed was the main pool .when you enter holding onto the railing it is deeper than the far end of the pool. The  far end was shallow  .We never seen that on all the ships we sailed in over 80 cruises  .Every thing else we loved about this Pinnacle class vessel & we loved the new  main theatre  

We haven't been in the pool so don't know about that, we love the ship.  It is one of our favourites.  We are sailing on both Koningsdam and the new Rotterdam next year.  So looking forward to sailing both of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Liked the open feeling and the bright color schemes. Tamarind and Dutch Cafe were great. HATED the main dining room. It is a zoo. Loud, crowded, way too rushed, no chance to enjoy your meal or strike up a relationship with your serving staff. Sound proofing between cabins was abysmal. Didn't have a connecting room and could still hear everything next door in our Vista suite. BB King was very good. Crows Nest was horrible. They ruined the best place on a HAL ship to get a drink in the evening. Also not a fan of the new promenade deck.

While I liked the look of the interior the ship, the downsides were too down for me to ever book this class again.

• Like 3

LOVE everything EXCEPT the cabanas.  The cabanas on the older ships are large and comfortable.  I have nothing nice to say about the cabanas on these newer ships.  Such a shame they changed the design of something that wasn't broken.  But, everything else is spectacular.  I'm sorry to say that when I cruise with my husband, the cabana is a deal breaker.  When it is a girls' trip, not a problem since the girls don't want a cabana anyway.   

• Like 2

Our FAVORITE cruiseship. Huge area on top deck for walking/lounging. Library sadly gone, as on most vessels now except Cunard. Pool handrails to the Deepend were a design mistake that can’t be undone said an Officer. 

3 minutes ago, LocoLoco1 said:

Our FAVORITE cruiseship. Huge area on top deck for walking/lounging. Library sadly gone, as on most vessels now except Cunard. Pool handrails to the Deepend were a design mistake that can’t be undone said an Officer. 

Isn't that amazing that a mistake in the design of the main pool .  you would think  that the construction drawings would have been checked & rechecked & signed off by highly trained /skilled personnel  .once you get use to it ,it works except if people are entering into the deep end down the stairs . ,you then can 't swim there 

We over look this little mistake on the whole ship . Another person claimed crowded main dining room .We did a 10 night southern Caribbean on koningsdam in 2019 ,  our waiters made the ladies  paper cut outs & we still have them  .Seems to me it is all about  how you treat people is what you get.

2 minutes ago, HAL4NOW said:

I dislike that every time we have been booked on the Koningsdam the cruise has been cancelled (or in HAL's term, "paused").

All of us feel your pain  .Now we  hope to go forward once again, to enjoy the seas & HAL ships 

We sort of liked the new crows nest with a abbreviated library & that electronic machine which I need to look into a bit more to understand it's usefulness  .We totally enjoyed the  daily Trivia  games  & gazing at the sea 

The Koningsdam SS cabins have a tub with no shower, and a very small shower stall. I was so surprised, as I had been in an SS on the Nieuw Statendam, which had a huge, luxurious shower (no tub at all). Hoping Rotterdam follows NS design and not Koningsdam.

Have sailed the Koningsdam twice.  First time was in 2017 when she was fairly new.  It's a good thing I give second chances, because that cruise wasn't the best.  Nothing wrong with the ship, we love the Pinnacle Class ships because of the extra entertainment and dining.  We still can walk completely around the promenade deck unlike on some other cruise lines.

What was wrong on that cruise was the service (the only time in 25 cruises that we had poor service from our cabin stewards), on-going billing problems with the Pinnacle and Beverage Dept., and several problems with our cabin.  

But we sailed the K again (it actually was our last cruise in Oct-Nov 2019) and everything was great. Just goes to show, always give second chances!

• Like 3

We have 70+ days on K'dam and would be on it today if we could.

Love Rolling Stone Rock Room. BBK, Dutch Cafe,  and we actually like the promenade deck to walk around as there are no deck chairs in the way!  Plenty of quiet sunning spots, aft deck 10 and 11.  Love the decor....60's rock and roll etc.

We loved the pizza and sandwich spot on the 2nd floor of the indoor pool area. The ship was beautiful and modern - didn't feel dated like some of the older HAL ships. I loved nearly everything about it, except for that fact that it felt more crowed than the smaller ships (even the Westerdam/Oosterdam class of ships). I'd sail her again in a heartbeat! 

5 hours ago, mcrcruiser said:

Likes - number and variety of restaurants 

Dislikes - faux promenade and tiny inside cabins

• Like 1