Covid19 on Celebrity Edge

myn

41 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Pretty scary that a vaccinated person can get infected on an almost fully vaccinated ship.

There is an incubation period so chances are really good this passenger was already infected prior to boarding the ship. It just took a few days to develop symptoms.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, jelayne said:

They could have picked it up  before they got on the ship in a plane, hotel, restaurant,  taxi or store.

That’s exactly what I thought. Since they’re having symptoms on day four, I think it’s far more likely that they were exposed before they boarded the ship. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What’s so sad about this is a vaccinated person got sick.  The delta variant is scary and can apparently infect those of us who are vaccinated.  There are numerous cases not so far away from where I live that this has happened and I’m not talking about a few but hundreds.😢

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, luv2cruisesunshine said:

I agree with you Cool Cruiser-we just pulled out of our Sept cruise because of what is happening now... I do hope we can resume travel soon----longing to be back on the water.

If you pulled out of your Sept cruise because of what is happening now--1 positive case after 1+ month of sailings on Edge by thousands of passengers--I suspect it will be years before you are comfortable cruising again.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mom says said:

JMO, but as long as the pandemic exists, a cruise without at least one positive  case will be the exception; not the norm.

I agree.  It is like school.  There will be cases in the class room and will be handled--according to a superintendent.

• Like 1

This incident definitely isn't deterring us from going on our cruise in 9 days and a wake-up! But it does reinforce the necessity for us to wear a mask when we're in public areas on and off the ship. After all, we've been doing it for the past 15+ months and until something drastically changes, it appears we'll be wearing a mask for quite sometime to come. Besides, we're going to be on a B2B2B which means we'll be getting an antigen test before each transition day, and the last thing we want is to be told we can't sail on the next leg. 

BTW I might add the vaccines are still the light at the end of the tunnel and our train car is finally getting ready to drop us off at the ship next week. Yes!!! 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 13

6 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This incident definitely isn't deterring us from going on our cruise in 9 days and a wake-up! But it does reinforce the necessity for us to wear a mask when we're in public areas on and off the ship. After all, we've been doing it for the past 15+ months and until something drastically changes, it appears we'll be wearing a mask for quite sometime to come. Besides, we're going to be on a B2B2B which means we'll be getting an antigen test before each transition day, and the last thing we want is to be told we can't sail on the next leg. 

What a great attitude and hope your B2B2B goes well.  Enjoy and stay safe.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

But it does reinforce the necessity for us to wear a mask when we're in public areas on and off the ship.

the last thing we want is to be told we can't sail on the next leg

You should find some N95 masks if you wish to wear masks to protect yourselves so you can complete your triple. Regular masks just deflect the aerosols to the side and down, hopefully reducing the spread of anything you might be carrying over to someone else. They don't filter down to the size of coronavirus particles flitting toward you from someone else.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

You should find some N95 masks if you wish to wear masks to protect yourselves so you can complete your triple. Regular masks just deflect the aerosols to the side and down, hopefully reducing the spread of anything you might be carrying over to someone else. They don't filter down to the size of coronavirus particles flitting toward you from someone else.

Good advise. We will have our n95 masks with us if the Celebrity ones aren't up to snuff once we get to the ship. 

1 hour ago, CalTexCruiser said:

Pretty scary that a vaccinated person can get infected on an almost fully vaccinated ship.

So, most of us laypeople are used to gleaning years of epidemic research from a few paragraphs in a science textbook. 

We are living the years of knowledge in real time. It isn’t all or nothing. Covid is a virus that is changing; ergo, the knowledge is also evolving. The vaccine was for the original strain. Delta is a new animal. Hopefully experts can figure out the booster situation and more people get vaccinated so they aren’t sickened. 

• Like 3

Good advise. We will have our n95 masks with us if the Celebrity ones aren't up to snuff once we get to the ship. 

I was just going to bring a cloth mask for our upcoming cruise but I light of this we’ll definitely bring N95 and mAybe even double mask

3 minutes ago, CalTexCruiser said:

I was just going to bring a cloth mask for our upcoming cruise but I light of this we’ll definitely bring N95 and mAybe even double mask

It’s probably easier to get a KN95 masks but if you find N 95s please let us know,  thanks.

Edited by Oville

Just now, Ken the cruiser said:

Perfect! We got our second Pfizer shot in March, so September would definitely work for us by the time we go on our Nov cruise on the Apex! 😎

We also got our second shot in late March.  Oddly had to drive the better part of 150 miles each way twice for the Pfizer vaccines, hoping it’s going to be a lot easier this time.

Can’t wait to follow you on your cruise but when in November?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oville said:

We also got our second shot in late March.  Oddly had to drive the better part of 150 miles each way twice for the Pfizer vaccines, hoping it’s going to be a lot easier this time.

Can’t wait to follow you on your cruise but when in November?

We didn't have to travel that far, but rather waited 7 hours in a "drive through" line in our car before each shot. But the reduction in our stress levels after each shot was amazing! Our next cruise is Nov 4th on the Apex.

8 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We didn't have to travel that far, but rather waited 7 hours in a "drive through" line in our car before each shot. But the reduction in our stress levels after each shot was amazing! Our next cruise is Nov 4th on the Apex.

Same with us, March 20th was a big relief but getting there was horrible.  Had vaccinated friends for Easter brunch😄

2 hours ago, Straughn said:

Unfortunately, it is possible for a fully vaccinated individual to contract Covid and be asymptomatic. I have three friends, all in excellent health with no underlying conditions,  two of whom were asymptomatic and one who had symptoms that many vaccinated people would have ignored. A couple I know went to get their required Covid tests to sail out of St.Martin. Both were asymptomatic and tested positive. Another friend had mild symptoms- fatigue, a headache, and general feeling of, to use her word, “ick.” Just to be safe, she got tested and was positive. Her doctor said that “you will be fine after 10 days.” She got tested on day 12 and is still positive for Covid. She feels absolutely fine.

It is entirely possible to be fully  vaccinated and still contract Covid. Therefore, there could easily be vaccinated individuals on a cruise ship who have asymptomatic Covid. 

Yes, I have read the studies that say asymptomatic individuals do not have the viral load that a person with symptoms does, and may therefore, not spread the virus. I hope that is true. I think, in my humble opinion, it might be prudent for cruise lines to test all passengers as part of the embarkation process.. As I said, my opinion, feel free to disagree and flame me.

I have a Caribbean cruise on MSC in January. (Presumably?) They are testing vaccinated and non-vaccinated during embarkation.

From the "Vaccinated passengers" section...

"You will be required to take a rapid antigen test at the pier prior to embarkation (covered by MSC Cruises) and test negative."

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

If you pulled out of your Sept cruise because of what is happening now--1 positive case after 1+ month of sailings on Edge by thousands of passengers--I suspect it will be years before you are comfortable cruising again.

If you haven't been following the news you are very behind-the Edge is only one of many cruise lines that have had this problem.  Check the boards as well as the news, it won't matter anyway, the cruise lines will probably be shut down prior to then anyway because of folks who can't or won't follow simple rules and let those who do enjoy.

17 minutes ago, luv2cruisesunshine said:

If you haven't been following the news you are very behind-the Edge is only one of many cruise lines that have had this problem.  Check the boards as well as the news, it won't matter anyway, the cruise lines will probably be shut down prior to then anyway because of folks who can't or won't follow simple rules and let those who do enjoy.

No the cruise lines won't be shut down for low ratio outlying covid 19 incidents.  This is the new world we live in. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, conodor said:

Off topic, sorry i couldn't send you a PM, it's disabled.  Can you hear the morning announcements in the room?  Unless i'm missing something. i have to open the door to our room to hear the 10am announcements every morning if i'm in the room.

This was a special(?) in room announcement, generally announcements don’t go into the room

3 hours ago, Oville said:

What’s so sad about this is a vaccinated person got sick.  The delta variant is scary and can apparently infect those of us who are vaccinated.  There are numerous cases not so far away from where I live that this has happened and I’m not talking about a few but hundreds.😢

That's my town you're referring to. ☹️ And yes, we're around 800 cases now connected to the week of July 4th and the one after, 200 of them are Provincetown residents and most were vaccinated people. I think with this Delta variant growing we will indeed start to see more cases pop up on cruise ships since they confirmed that asymptomatic people can most definitely transmit this. Thankfully there is testing before boarding but that won't catch every one since sometimes the virus can't be detected yet if you had just become infected a day or two prior. Hopefully what we won't see is a repeat of the early days of Covid with the major cruise line outbreaks and it stays isolated to a few people at most onboard.

Does anyone know if the crew gets tested at the start of each voyage like passengers do? And do they remove a crew member if they test positive a la the passenger being removed in Cozumel in this thread?

10 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

On them until the end of October.   After that it's going to be on you or hopefully your travel insurance which I bet won't fly you home immediately by private transport.  More likely quarantine in a hotel until negative test and cleared to fly.   It's going to get interesting.

Just another reason why we carry Med Jet coverage for evacuation.  They have now added Covid19 coverage worldwide.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1