Covid19 on Celebrity Edge

myn

7 minutes ago, RichYak said:

To be considered "vaccinated" by the Captain of a Celebrity cruise ship, that must mean fully vaccinated, ie 2 weeks after second shot of 2-dose or 2 weeks after single dose.

Here is Celebrity's accepted vaccine policy. This should answer the remainder of your questions.

"Vaccines that are fully approved or authorized for emergency use by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or the World Health Organization (WHO) are accepted.   Sputnik V is not an accepted Covid-19 vaccine.  Please be aware that certain countries we sail from or visit during a voyage may require a specific vaccine, and only those travelers vaccinated with the requisite vaccine will be considered fully vaccinated. Be sure to review your departure country's requirements or consult our guest materials prior to sailing for these requirements. "

Please point out to me where it says "2 weeks after second shot"? I assume that would be the case but it is not spelled out. Do not want to get bogged down in semantics but with so much misinformation out there I think it important to be judiciously skeptical until verified.

From Celebrity's Health and Safety web page:

We will sail with a vaccinated crew and at least 95% fully vaccinated guests. All guests 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing.  As of August 1, 2021, all guests age 12 and older must be fully vaccinated. All UK guests sailing on Celebrity Silhouette 18 years and older must be fully vaccinated.

NOTICE: Proof of vaccination will be recorded and may be reviewed for signs of fraud. Unauthorized use of an official government agency seal such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention seal is a federal crime, and will be reported to the relevant government authorities.

14 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

Too bad but with unvaccinated passengers on board we are likely to see more of this.   On our cruise, Seabourn, we were all vaccinated plus we each had to take a test before boarding the ship and towards the end of each week.   They are as careful as they an be but you could still have a passenger with a compromised immune system bring a COVID infection onboard.   The vaccine works well for most people but not as well for the immune compromised.  Unfortunately, quite a few cruisers are immune compromised and won’t have enough protection from the virus.

Even fully vaccinated people can carry and shed the virus. In fact the CDC is finding that out more and more and that’s why they’re now asking fully vaccinated people to mask up.  It’s beginning to be apparent that vaccinated and non-vaccinated people carry almost equal abilities to carry and shed the virus. The vaxxed just have lesser symptoms (usually) if they contract the virus

3 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

Please point out to me where it says "2 weeks after second shot"? I assume that would be the case but it is not spelled out. Do not want to get bogged down in semantics but with so much misinformation out there I think it important to be judiciously skeptical until verified.

"We will sail with a vaccinated crew and at least 95% fully vaccinated guests. All guests 16 years and older must be fully vaccinated with all COVID-19 vaccine doses administered at least 14 days prior to sailing."

I've highlighted the appropriate text for you. This is from Celebrity's health and safety page.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/health-and-safety

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Aloha 1 said:

I keep reading comments that the person infected was vaccinated yet I see no proof of that. How do you know, especially those of you NOT on board right now? And if indeed this person was vaccinated, we do not know with what vaccine and whether they had the second shot or when. So very little confirmed information and so very much raw speculation.

31 minutes ago, RichYak said:

The original post says "Captain Kate reported that a vaccinated passenger..." I trust that it's accurate.

I post a vid of most of the video, go back a few pages.

17 minutes ago, PS0DSH said:

Even fully vaccinated people can carry and shed the virus. In fact the CDC is finding that out more and more and that’s why they’re now asking fully vaccinated people to mask up.  It’s beginning to be apparent that vaccinated and non-vaccinated people carry almost equal abilities to carry and shed the virus. The vaxxed just have lesser symptoms (usually) if they contract the virus

Sorry but this is truly misinformation and it plays into the hands of people that refuse to be vaccinated .  It is entirely untrue that vaccinated and unvaccinated people carry almost equal abilities to carry and shed the virus. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

What determines which sailings they are used on?

That's an excellent question, to which I have no answer. While there have been quite a number of posts describing their operation, I've seen nothing on how Celebrity decides which sailings to use them on. Ideally, I'd love to see them being used on all sailings.

• Like 2

• NutsAboutGolf changed the title to Capt Kate’s second positive Covid person announcement on the Edge’s 7/24 sailing
2 minutes ago, RichYak said:

To be clear, is this an announcement about a second covid positive, or the second announcement about the one covid positive guest?

1 minute ago, _Rick_ said:

It's the same one as yesterday

Updated, should be good now

• NutsAboutGolf changed the title to Capt Kate’s second person tests positive with Covid announcement on the Edge’s 7/24 sailing
20 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Sorry but this is truly misinformation and it plays into the hands of people that refuse to be vaccinated .  It is entirely untrue that vaccinated and unvaccinated people carry almost equal abilities to carry and shed the virus. 

Well said.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yesterday CDC director Rachel Wilensky made the following statement.   It appears that nobody has a good handle on these breakthrough cases yet.

“The breakthrough infections, as rare as they are, have the potential to forward transmit with the same capacity as an unvaccinated person."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/28/cdc-needs-to-start-tracking-all-covid-breakthrough-infections-gottlieb-says.html

Edited by Wheelhouse
Add link
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

That's an excellent question, to which I have no answer. While there have been quite a number of posts describing their operation, I've seen nothing on how Celebrity decides which sailings to use them on. Ideally, I'd love to see them being used on all sailings.

I think they may be slowly rolled out to every ship. I was on the 7/17 sailing on Edge and on our last night, our assistant waiter was wearing one and the next morning, someone in the buffet area crew was wearing one. All unmasked, so I don't think it was for any particular reason. I asked the buffet crew about it and she said they were getting them to the food services crew first because they have the most contact with guests. 

22 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Common sense would agree with this. But, yesterday the CDC "verbally" said the opposite without providing the data (wasn't that suppose to stop now?). 

The more this goes on the more I simply can't understand. I just don't think this thought was generated from anti-vac folks but agree that it can/will be used by them (sadly IMHO).

Need the facts CDC!

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

I think they may be slowly rolled out to every ship. I was on the 7/17 sailing on Edge and on our last night, our assistant waiter was wearing one and the next morning, someone in the buffet area crew was wearing one. All unmasked, so I don't think it was for any particular reason. I asked the buffet crew about it and she said they were getting them to the food services crew first because they have the most contact with guests. 

Thank you. That's good news. 👍

• Like 1

I took what Dr. Wilensky said to mean that if a break-through case occurs, then the infected person has the "potential" to shed the virus, like an unvaccinated infected person.  So far, the frequency of break-through cases has been very, very small.  So, it appears that vaccinated people can carry and shed the virus, if they get it, which so far remains very unlikely.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Do your research...CDC actually stated that earlier this week.  A quote from the CDC Director:

WASHINGTON - Director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Dr. Rochelle Walensky expressed concern over new data that shows that vaccinated and unvaccinated people infected by the delta variant of the novel coronavirus carry viral loads that "are actually quite similar."

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

Ken, given where we live, you should wear a mask everywhere you go right now, in order to still be negative in 10 days

Good advice!

Have we flattened the curve in the US? - Johns Hopkins (jhu.edu)

And we do. However, in all actuality we usually only go to the grocery story (where I stay in the car), to the post office to mail letters in the outdoor receptacle and on rare occasions when I need to go to the lumberyard to pick up stuff for the farm. But, if we do go anywhere now out in public where we will be close to someone, the masks are on as we don't want any issues interfering with us going on cruises again! 😎

• Like 2