If you're going to ALASKA this year..... Please support the Locals

tutuwahineLV

After seeing some posts on a "Live from" thread on another board...and the people saying that the port was basically dead, with closed shops, and to not bother getting off the ship,  I have to chime in.  

PLEASE....PLEASE! get off the ship!! support these communities, buy from the shops that are open, get snacks/meals at the restaurants and kiosks...don't go back to the ship for your 'lunch'.  These communities, that depend on the tourist/cruise ship industry have been closed a lot longer than just a year.  The last ships left at the end of the 2019 season...late sept early oct.  Then the feces hit the air circulator and the world shut down for 2020.  Now they are getting some ships back, but the season is drastically shortened this year.  They need us.... so again, PLEASE.... if you're going this year, Support those local businesses!  cause the ships will leave again in 2 months and they'll still be struggling, hoping to make it to the beginning of next season.

I know we all  don't need another t-shirt, but buy one! do some retail therapy while in port, it'll help them and you.  Don't stay on the ship, please.  You traveled this far, get out and explore. 

I'll step down off this soapbox now, but thanks for listening. 

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

I have been stopping at the Juneau Glacier Smoothie Soap log cabin on Franklin Street since 2008.  New items being introduced every year. 

Alaska Fudge Company, Franklin Street in Juneau, also in Skagway, will ship fudge orders to your house if you don't want to carry the extra luggage weight (or afraid you will eat it before you get home).

The popcorn store across the street from the Juneau library has some amazing artisan flavors, sweet and savory, that sure beat the cruise ship popcorn for movie munchies.

Tongass Trading Company at the Ketchikan pier has local products as well as lots of other Alaska souvenirs.  Upstairs is where the locals shop for outfitter needs.  Tongass has the biggest reusable shopping bags I have ever seen.  Pick up a few to take home if your hometown has banned plastic shopping bags.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

And, if you want some of the best and freshest Fish and Chips, having lunch while one's ship is docked will add another dimension of enjoyment to your Alaskan cruise.  A bottle or two of Alaskan Amber Beer goes well with the seafood.  

• Like 6

On 7/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, donaldsc said:

I will add that this site shows the trade marks to look for to show that a product was actually made in AK or was made by one of the Alaskan indigenous peoples instead of in China. - https://www.travelalaska.com/Planning/Tips/Made-in-Alaska.aspx

DON

Thank you, I now

have the trademarks in my phone so when I go I will know if it is really made in Alaska. 

We just returned from our cruise to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway, and I can't imagine not having left the ship in the ports.  Skagway especially seemed hardest hit, and we were happy to support the local shops that were open.  We wanted to go to the Red Onion for a famous reindeer fart shot, but being one of the first bars in town, they were very busy.  We walked around the block or so to the Happy Endings Saloon and had a blast.  We were greeted with a sign that said, "Welcome Celebrity Millennium Guests!" which we thought was pretty cool.  Sadly we were the only ones there for a bit, but the bartender was great and suggested some awesome Alaskan beers and Skagway vodka.  When we asked about food, it just so happened that the Station served food right next door, so we placed a to-go order for some pizza and wings - both delicious.  We were looking for some specific souvenirs, and the bartender and his wife (who worked next door) gave us some tips.  Everyone we met was so friendly and really nice to talk to.  There are plenty of sea days to spend on the boat - definitely get into the ports and visit the towns!

• Like 9

On 7/28/2021 at 5:41 PM, Crew News said:

I have been stopping at the Juneau Glacier Smoothie Soap log cabin on Franklin Street since 2008.  New items being introduced every year. 

Alaska Fudge Company, Franklin Street in Juneau, also in Skagway, will ship fudge orders to your house if you don't want to carry the extra luggage weight (or afraid you will eat it before you get home).

The popcorn store across the street from the Juneau library has some amazing artisan flavors, sweet and savory, that sure beat the cruise ship popcorn for movie munchies.

Tongass Trading Company at the Ketchikan pier has local products as well as lots of other Alaska souvenirs.  Upstairs is where the locals shop for outfitter needs.  Tongass has the biggest reusable shopping bags I have ever seen.  Pick up a few to take home if your hometown has banned plastic shopping bags.

Thank you, Crew News!  We'll be sure to visit the shops you've recommended.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NikiPinkston said:

Thank you, Crew News!  We'll be sure to visit the shops you've recommended.

The Alaska locals will be happy to see you after missing a season of income. 

Although not locally manufactured, reversible jackets at Tongass Trading in Ketchikan are prominently displayed outside the front door.  Jackets have "Alaska" embroidered on each side and make great souvenirs. I own three of these jackets in various colors.

https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/gallery/ketchikan/P5050132.jpg

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 3

Loaded up my cart with back to school clothes shopping for my 3 smallest grandkids: short sleeve & long sleeve tshirts, hoodies, socks at Alaska Shirt Co in Juneau. Good prices. Bright colors. Lots of realistic animal prints (actually kids picked it on the phone, I just paid).  They've temporarily had to close their Skagway store. Hey I was going to buy 4 tops each anyway. They'll hold it for me until the 17th & I don't have to spend time shopping. Will stop there on my way back to the ship 

• Like 3

Just got back from Princess’ return to sailing cruise. Yes, the local businesses at the ports are really grateful for our return! I did an unusual excursion, owned and operated by a family on Ketchikan - snorkeling!! Thick  wetsuits - stayed warm , and I don’t like cold water! Very cool sea life, a great time!! So, if you are in reasonable shape, look them up by searching “snorkel Alaska” and they will pick you up at the port! Regardless, support Alaskan businesses!! 

• Like 4

On 8/3/2021 at 1:09 PM, lmbecker said:

Just got back from Princess’ return to sailing cruise. Yes, the local businesses at the ports are really grateful for our return! I did an unusual excursion, owned and operated by a family on Ketchikan - snorkeling!! Thick  wetsuits - stayed warm , and I don’t like cold water! Very cool sea life, a great time!! So, if you are in reasonable shape, look them up by searching “snorkel Alaska” and they will pick you up at the port! Regardless, support Alaskan businesses!! 

Snorkeling in Ketchikan was one of our favorite excursions of all times. We did it several years ago on a Princess cruise. I'm not sure why Princess doesn't offer it directly anymore. 

• Like 1

I just checked the "open" status of several of my favorite SE Alaska shops.

Ray Troll's gallery "SohoCoho" is open in Ketchikan; they are at #5 Creek Street.

In Juneau the Sealaska Heritage Institute is open; it is located at 105 S Seward Street.  The Juneau Artists Gallery (think "co-op") is also open and is located at 175 S. Franklin Street #111.

Good morning, I am flying to Seattle tomorrow morning😃...sailing to Alaska on Thursday😃.  I have nothing booked in Juneau and after reading about the state Museum I think I will visit there.  I have been in Juneau multiple times over the years but never visited the state museum before.

I hope it is walkable from the ship🙂

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

.....  I have nothing booked in Juneau and after reading about the state Museum I think I will visit there.  I have been in Juneau multiple times over the years but never visited the state museum before.

I hope it is walkable from the ship🙂

The Alaska State Museum is walkable for most folks.  Just be aware that the ASM isn't open daily.  

Even closer to the cruise ship docks is the Sealaska Heritage Institute.  Folks interested in  SE Alaska First Nation cultures find the SHI very worthwhile.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Even closer to the cruise ship docks is the Sealaska Heritage Institute.  Folks interested in  SE Alaska First Nation cultures find the SHI very worthwhile.

I keep learning.  I was not aware of this Institute.  

On 7/28/2021 at 2:31 PM, donaldsc said:

I will add that this site shows the trade marks to look for to show that a product was actually made in AK or was made by one of the Alaskan indigenous peoples instead of in China. - https://www.travelalaska.com/Planning/Tips/Made-in-Alaska.aspx

DON

Thank you for the link showing locally crafted and made products. We're excited to be visiting soon and will absolutely get off the ship. Rain or shine! 

And will be supporting locally owned and operated businesses for all our shopping. I always go to Salman Ect, and the Tongass store in Ketchikan and hope they've survived the pandemic. 

On 8/3/2021 at 10:09 AM, lmbecker said:

thats an excursion I always think about doing.  I opted for the Alaska Rainforest Sanctuary this time though.  Beautiful walk through the forest.  Maybe next time, I'll snorkel

I'm just back from Alaska, and I wanted to mention a few local shops we enjoyed. I didn't have time to explore Juneau, sorry it was left out.

Ketchikan: Ketchi Candies - locally owned, sells amazing chocolates. Currently located inside of NCLs Ward Cove station. 

Ketchikan: Salmon Etc. Locally owned. Amazing smoked salmon. I like the red can of salmon best! On mission street near broadway. 

Skagway: Alaska Artworks - lots of Alaskan artists. 510 Broadway. 

Skagway: Boreal Artworks - local art, yarn, and hand crafted items. 602 Broadway. 

Skagway: Klothers Rush (and Duffy's next door) - both are locally owned. Best selection of tshirts I've ever seen! Also has a wide selection of Columbia &  Northface jackets, clothes from top to bottom, quality shoes, and everything needed if you lost your luggage or missed packing something.

Icy Strait Point: Tlingit Botanicals. All items are made by family & friends of locals. Arts, herbal botanicals, crafts, & jewelry. Super nice ladies running the shop. 

Support local businesses and artists. ❤️

• Thanks 2