Now need a test EVEN if vaccinated!

1 minute ago, BND said:

Oh its going to peak and faster then anywhere else do to how much of country is vaccinated.

but….

as you know we will get another variant. We need to live with this and stop the alarmists. It will be here forever. But we can coexist with facts and not fear driven policy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Oh its going to peak and faster then anywhere else do to how much of country is vaccinated.

but….

as you know we will get another variant. We need to live with this and stop the alarmists. It will be here forever. But we can coexist with facts and not fear driven policy.

It doesn't have to be here forever.  It can die off, but not as long as people don't get vaccinated.  We've erradicated other diseases through vaccinations.  It can also become so rare that it's less likely to spread.  Thing is, we're not in a pandemic anymore, except among the unvaccinated.  I just wish that the alarms weren't directed at everyone.  Those of us who are vaccinated, have done our part.  I'm glad our Governor (not a fan of his) has said no mask mandate for VA.  

I remember reading back at the beginning that the thought is that the common cold was deadly at one time and over time as it mutated it just became a nuisance.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, BND said:

It wouldn't be here forever if more people were vaccinated.  It can die off, but not as long as people don't get vaccinated.  We've erradicated other diseases through vaccinations.  It can also become so rare that it's less likely to spread.  Thing is, we're not in a pandemic anymore, except among the unvaccinated.  

Very few things have been eradicated.Small pox has but not much else. Eradicated is rare.  Even polio hasnt been. But I get your point. But to your point,we may get a variant that cant be controlled by current vaccine. We need to co-exist. You will never get everyone vaccinated. Never.  Nor do you need to. Eventually everyone gets the virus and you have herd immunity. Herd immunity wasnt invented by vaccines.. viruses are nearly impossible to eradicate

Edited by rtazz17
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

Antigen tests have a lot of FALSE NEGATIVES. It's false positive rate is on par with the PCR test's false positive.

Thanks. For the correction.

10 minutes ago, rtazz17 said:

Very few things have been eradicated.Small pox has but not much else. Eradicated is rare.  Even polio hasnt been. But I get your point. But to your point,we may get a variant that cant be controlled by current vaccine. We need to co-exist. You will never get everyone vaccinated. Never.  Nor do you need to. Eventually everyone gets the virus and you have herd immunity. Herd immunity wasnt invented by vaccines.. viruses are nearly impossible to eradicate

But, as long as some people use the excuse that because there are breakthrough cases, why should I get the vaccine, we're going to be stuck in the current situation of ups and downs.  And, as some people forget, the original purpose of the vaccine was to limit hospitalizations and deaths so as to not overload the system, not prevent the disease itself.   But, now it's become, the OMG people are still catching it and it's mutating.  No one should be surprised by that.

Edited by BND
  • Like 6

On Topic

We are discussing canceling our November cruise.  Final due next week.  We were so excited but getting tested prior kind of put a damper on that.  I can wear a mask, I’m used to that.  But testing prior takes time, money and anxiety.  What happens if it come back positive?  We will have insurance but I don’t think it covers covid.  And the test may come back after the 48 hour cancel from Royal.  What then?  Does anyone have the answer?

Sigh.  Pretty bummed out this morning.  

2 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

On Topic

We are discussing canceling our November cruise.  Final due next week.  We were so excited but getting tested prior kind of put a damper on that.  I can wear a mask, I’m used to that.  But testing prior takes time, money and anxiety.  What happens if it come back positive?  We will have insurance but I don’t think it covers covid.  And the test may come back after the 48 hour cancel from Royal.  What then?  Does anyone have the answer?

The answer is cancel because RCL changes their policies with the wind. Delta is also infecting fully vax'ed people- proof is many weddings and parties were vax only parties and many got sick, very sick, and a few deaths. This is what I am seeing about the CDC's change in mask policy. A cruise vacation is not a vacation at all right now.

1 hour ago, lazydayz said:

Note to cruisers from FL:  I just scheduled a no cost to me PCR test at a local CVS, drive thru, for August 12 (our cruise is on August 15).  You just input your insurance information and they will only bill your insurer.  No co-pay or deductible.  

However, I am seriously considering cancelling.  We were on the Carnival Horizon earlier this month and it was so pleasant.  No tests, no masks.  95% vaccinated and it felt like a real vacation.

From my point of view, Royal has mishandled all of this and needs to rethink its strategy. 

You think?  

48 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

same. I've actually thought it would be a given for our cruise in November for all 5 of us (adults are vaxxed, the kid is not) to be tested prior to cruising. And, yes, we'll wear a mask indoors.

The cases skyrocketed in my state and county in the last month. I mean it - SKYROCKETED. We have more cases now every day than we had last year. Delta variant is getting through to the vaxxed people as well, and, apparently, it is vicious enough for the vaxxed people to carry a viral load high enough to be contagious.

I have been very hopeful in the last month that we'd have this sorta, kinda under control before the school starts, but it's beginning to look like a ***** show again. So, it's not all all shocking that RCI is requiring tests prior to cruising, even for vaccinated passengers.

Why are you surprised, Delta always goes through Atlanta....

(ducking to avoid rotten tomatoes)

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

51 minutes ago, BND said:

I really hope this is true for our country as well.  Our family (and hometown area) have been seriously hammered with Delta.  My injected older sister was hospitalized last week with Covid (an an undiagnosed heart condition it exacerbated), and my niece is hospitalized this week, her fiance is headed toward Covid pneumonia himself, and now my great-niece has it.  All opted out of the shots, except my sister (thank God she got them!).  The hospitals are full there, and people are sitting in lawn chairs in line outside the ERs for care.  It's insane there.  I hope this burns itself out as it burns thru the country.

My hope is that the cruise lines are able to hang on thru this latest variant.  Variants will come and go, probably for a very long time.  We have to learn to roll with them as much as possible.

Edited by barbeyg
  • Like 2

I’m not blaming Royal.  They are just trying to protect the brand and not have outbreaks.  Viking is worse.  They test EVERYDAY on board.  We love Viking but no way will I do that.  

We’re just not sure we want to cruise with the added headache.  As much as we can’t wait to get back to the sea, maybe it’s not time yet.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I really hope this is true for our country as well.  Our family (and hometown area) have been seriously hammered with Delta.  My injected older sister was hospitalized last week with Covid (an an undiagnosed heart condition it exacerbated), and my niece is hospitalized this week, her fiance is headed toward Covid pneumonia himself, and now my great-niece has it.  All opted out of the shots, except my sister (thank God she got them!).  The hospitals are full there, and people are sitting in lawn chairs in line outside the ERs for care.  It's insane there.  I hope this burns itself out as it burns thru the country.  Stay safe all!

Fortunately, even though our county has cases of Delta, we're just over 70% fully vaccinated rate among those over age 12 so hospitalizations aren't that high.  And, at 77% of adults with at one shot.

Edited by BND

13 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

On Topic

Our cruise is a L&S, the last week of November.  I think Royal is a mess and wish I could cancel, but I booked with a NRD, so right now I'm stuck with the cruise and will have to make final payment in a couple of weeks.  I'll just have to ride this mess out and hopefully by the end of November things will settle down.

Just now, cruiselvr04 said:

I’m not blaming Royal.  They are just trying to protect the brand and not have outbreaks.  Viking is worse.  They test EVERYDAY on board.  We love Viking but no way will I do that.  

We’re just not sure we want to cruise with the added headache.  As much as we can’t wait to get back to the sea, maybe it’s not time yet.  

I concur.  I understand they are doing what they believe they have to.  And we have prepared ourselves personally for the disappointment of canceling, just in case.

1 minute ago, barbeyg said:

I really hope this is true for our country as well.  Our family (and hometown area) have been seriously hammered with Delta.  My injected older sister was hospitalized last week with Covid (an an undiagnosed heart condition it exacerbated), and my niece is hospitalized this week, her fiance is headed toward Covid pneumonia himself, and now my great-niece has it.  All opted out of the shots, except my sister (thank God she got them!).  The hospitals are full there, and people are sitting in lawn chairs in line outside the ERs for care.  It's insane there.  I hope this burns itself out as it burns thru the country.  Stay safe all!

So sorry your family has been so badly affected by the delta variant.  Sending good wishes for a speedy recovery for all

• Like 5

1 minute ago, BND said:

Fortunately, even though our county has cases of Delta, we're at close to 80% vaccinated rate among those over age 12 so hospitalizations aren't that high.

Glad to hear that for you guys.  We don't have a lot of hospitalizations where I live either, thankfully.  

I know RCI and other cruise lines have to see this kind of news and wonder how they can avoid catastrophe and CDC lockdowns.  It's a tough spot they are in.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

Glad to hear that for you guys.  We don't have a lot of hospitalizations where I live either, thankfully.  

I know RCI and other cruise lines have to see this kind of news and wonder how they can avoid catastrophe and CDC lockdowns.  It's a tough spot they are in.

I corrected my post as the almost 80% is with at least one dose.  70% fully of eligibles.  Our death rate also hasn't changed in weeks.

Edited by BND
  • Like 1

On 7/26/2021 at 12:35 PM, Tomchick1970 said:

I just did a screen shot from the Royal website for August

12 minutes ago, Jpancakes said:

Is this new change only known through an email?  When I look at the August protocols from FL, the website still says no testing is necessary for vaccinated guests.

8BA84BB9-8157-4F8B-B76D-15B7CA7C6C4B.thumb.png.45a6d0ea8a326ba452bff8db35babb95.png

Edited by forgotmyCCname

9 minutes ago, Jpancakes said:

Is this new change only known through an email?  When I look at the August protocols from FL, the website still says no testing is necessary for vaccinated guests.

There was an update published for the July and August protocols.  I have a friend who is sailing on OY on Saturday and he received it.

image.thumb.png.0fd67d4097d4a0978890cbb11fb3206f.png

34 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

What happens if it come back positive?  We will have insurance but I don’t think it covers covid.  And the test may come back after the 48 hour cancel from Royal.  What then?  Does anyone have the answer?

If you or anyone in your party test positive within 14 days of sailing you can get a refund

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/dam/royal/resources/pdf/covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds-policy.pdf

B978DAE1-BFD5-4CCA-A36C-1133777E9753.jpeg

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

On Topic

The cruise line is only trying to minimize the risk of an outbreak onboard. They now have a PR issue with 4 vaxxed passengers and 2 unvaxxed kids (not traveling together) testing positive last night on the Adventure. 

• Like 2