It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

49 minutes ago, schittenden said:

Links to find testing facilities. Testing should be free with insurance. Even for those without insurance. 

https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html

Is testing really free with insurance if it is for travel? CVS website shows a self-pay option for travel testing. Wouldn’t the insurance claim be rejected (possibly months later) as not medically necessary since it was for travel. Please correct me if I am wrong here or if it is special because of COVID testing.

https://www.cvs.com/minuteclinic/covid-19-testing/voluntary-testing

1 hour ago, Conestoga Charlie said:

Is this requirement unique to the Edge or sailing from US? We’re booked on Edge’s sister ship, Apex, next week,

Apex tests all guests at the pier.  I am on that sailing.

Edited by megr1125
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, dalemon42 said:

Is testing really free with insurance if it is for travel? CVS website shows a self-pay option for travel testing. Wouldn’t the insurance claim be rejected (possibly months later) as not medically necessary since it was for travel. Please correct me if I am wrong here or if it is special because of COVID testing.

When I signed up --- just went to the link for Covid testing -   I clicked yes for the first question and no to all others.    It set me up for an appointment time and no cost.    I guess I am saying it isn't voluntary but out  of concern to not spread Covid-19.

I previously did one and chose not to give them my insurance information. 

image.png.a42e28c6110d7e3389b0d465111398fc.png

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

When I signed up --- just went to the link for Covid testing -   I clicked yes for the first question and no to all others.    It set me up for an appointment time and no cost.    I guess I am saying it isn't voluntary but out  of concern to not spread Covid-19.

I previously did one and chose not to give them my insurance information. 

image.png.a42e28c6110d7e3389b0d465111398fc.png

Thanks Jim! That was very helpful!

2 hours ago, helen haywood said:

We all will certainly learn from these first cruises with the new conditions!

There is absolutely nothing to learn with the exception of knowledge that we are all screwed up; just there is only hope that it’s not permanent diagnosis.

1 hour ago, dalemon42 said:

Just had a free COVID test at CVS today, in Cincinnati.  They didn’t ask why I wanted the test.

• Like 3

Can anyone confirm whether or not celebrity accepts the rapid diagnostic test ID NOW (abbot labs) that Walgreens offers? It says it’s a molecular test but it’s available in less than 24 hours unlike their regular pcr test  

I would get antigen tests but it seems like none are available in my area and I live in a fairly large city so I’m not sure what the deal is with that. 

1 hour ago, thepinkleprechaun said:

Can anyone confirm whether or not celebrity accepts the rapid diagnostic test ID NOW (abbot labs) that Walgreens offers? It says it’s a molecular test but it’s available in less than 24 hours unlike their regular pcr test  

I would get antigen tests but it seems like none are available in my area and I live in a fairly large city so I’m not sure what the deal is with that. 

The e-mail only mentions PCR and antigen tests. The ID Now is a NAAT test, so it wouldn’t appear to apply, but in practice who knows what Celebrity might accept if someone showed up with one. I was told the PCR from Walgreens had a 48 hour turn around currently from a local pharmacist.

1 hour ago, dalemon42 said:

The e-mail only mentions PCR and antigen tests. The ID Now is a NAAT test, so it wouldn’t appear to apply, but in practice who knows what Celebrity might accept if someone showed up with one. I was told the PCR from Walgreens had a 48 hour turn around currently from a local pharmacist.

In regards to 48 hour turnaround, not guaranteed and can truly depend on where you live and the amount of testing in the area. I am going to do the antigen test that you get back in about an hour. You just can’t get it at all pharmacy locations. 

2 hours ago, thepinkleprechaun said:

Have you tried CVS? Usually you need to go to a store that has Minute Clinic. I have 5 CVS stores within 4 miles of my home, but need to go to a store 10 miles away.

If you go online, put in zip code and antigen test it will tell you what stores have it.

On 7/30/2021 at 12:37 PM, LUVTRAVEL6 said:

We are sailing on the Edge on July 31st, and we have not received this email.  

Just the email reminder this morning to complete our online health screening...

The email only shows the same information as before, testing only required for unvaccinated.  Maybe it's for later sailings?  I don't know how they could accomplish this for tomorrow's sailing?

Happened because last weeks sailing had 9(? Roughly) people test positive and I believe they were all vaccinated. Implemented within 12 hours or so. Don’t know how to test just why. 

8 hours ago, Conestoga Charlie said:

Is this requirement unique to the Edge or sailing from US? We’re booked on Edge’s sister ship, Apex, next week,

In the UK everyone over 18 must be fully vaxxed and everyone must do a pcr test within 72 hours.  These are for UK only sailcations,  no foreign ports.  It has been like this since the commencement of cruising earlier this summer 

I am driving to the port to board Equinox today.  Checked my email at 4:30 today and had an email to register for Covid test at the pier.  They give you choices in one hour blocks.  My Celebrity cruise check in time is 12:00 to 12:30 so I booked the 10:00am to 11:00am slot for Covid testing.  When I had completed my registration and received a confirmation number I received a text message directly from Celebrity (versus the third part testing vendor) that Celebrity Cruises scheduled my test during my check in.  So….does that mean  it is at 10 - 11 or 12 - 12:30?  I guess I’ll still arrive between 10 - 11 and see how it shakes out.  Good luck everyone!🤞🤞

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Wondering if that was cruise date dependent.   Mine for the Sept 5 cruise says "conducted within 72 hours of embarkation.

Our email for Aug 27th Equinox also said 72 hours 

There seem to be at least two different emails being sent around.  One for sailings occurring in the very near future where Celebrity is offering to test at the port and one for sailings after a week or so out where they are saying it's on us to find and pay for testing (except the un-vaccinated who apparently will get retested for free at the port before embarking).  Personally, I would prefer if Celebrity would at least offer the option of at port testing for everyone so the burden of finding an acceptable test is on them, not us.  After all, by saying they will test the un-vaccinated it is clear they have the ability to perform an acceptable test on site, they just have chosen to shift the burden to us instead.

I will not be in an area that has any convenient testing prior to our leaving on 8/27 so we'll either have to find a rapid test in Seattle the night before we embark or cancel our plans to cruise unless Celebrity changes their policy.  Either offer to test at the port, or accept the self-test kits being sold at pharmacies.  Either of those would be OK with me.

I plan to call them next week and ask them to reconsider their policies.  Maybe if enough of us do the same they will offer these options and relieve us of the burden of running around before we leave?

Edited by Real NHDOC
  • Like 1

Trying to understand who is charging for the tests?  I know my state (Ohio) says I can be tested as much as once per day, and it’s free (I’m sure someone is paying, just not me).  Is it the Federal Gov’t? Is it the State?  Is it insurance?  

It says the cost of testing before embarkation is up to the passenger.  But, so far, I’ve yet to find the sources I use (CVS-Walgreens-Local Hospital-Family GP) that will charge me for the test.

Who in here has been charged for the test?

On 7/30/2021 at 7:26 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I may be a nerd on this but is the 72 hours from the time you check in or just 3 days prior to sail date?  I am setting up an appointment for us for our Sept 5 cruise and currently all time slots are open on September 2.    

Celebrity is using these interchangeably "72-hours from check-in" & "3-days prior to sail" when they aren't equivalent. The first implies the test can be taken no earlier than mid-afternoon (3-days before) while the second allows a COVID test first thing in the AM (3-days before). Clearly NOT the same thing!!!

15 hours ago, Jazzbo said:

Ours, too.  Our tests are scheduled at 6:20 and 6:40 on Thursday, so we’ll be at 71 hours and 20 minutes and 71 hours and 40 minutes before scheduled departure.

I'm splitting hairs BUT it has me concerned as Embarkation Time & Departure Time are two different things (Potentially a six-hour difference!) 

Received a notification late last night which provided a QR code to scan and subsequently schedule an appointment time to take the covid test at the port for our Equinox embarkation today. Hopefully, this will result in a lesser nightmare than the one yesterday for the Edge embarkation. Of course this depends greatly on 1) how many are able to schedule appointments, 2) how Celebrity directs those with vs without appointments and 3) lots of luck!

Edited by LuvCruzn4Evr
Typo