It looks like Celebrity is now requiring negative COVID test before boarding

jcpc

24 minutes ago, runningtide said:

Not sure local police have jurisdiction on a foreign flag vessel. Be interested in their legal position. 

They do if the cruise line asks them to come aboard to make an arrest. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lostchild said:

Maybe they will test them in their state rooms instead.

No chance. The whole point is to keep anyone who would test positive from ever getting on the ship. Having people test positive on board is the worst case scenario. Better to not test on board.

4 minutes ago, m8zenblue said:

So exactly what "Covid 19" test is acceptable ?

PCR, Anti-Body, Rapid ?

Confused, HELP !!!

Our email says:  "This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test conducted within 72 hours of embarkation."     This is for the Aug 8 sailing of the Equinox.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, imtired1959 said:

They had the data

You keep saying this. The CDC report was released yesterday. There were reported only leaks before that. Do you want Celebrity to make policy changes on the basis of leaked, uncertain information?

Please cite to anything demonstrating your biggest beef: that Celebrity had data  time to develop adopt this policy early in the week.

I found a place that will test me tomorrow morning @ 9:00 as I start my drive to Ft Lauderdale.  It's $99 worth it to me to perhaps shorten my wait.  I hope to adjust my arrival based on what the folks who arrive at noon have to say.  Bum knee won't support me for four straight hours of standing, much less in Florida heat. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, phoenix_dream said:

To do what?  Do you plan to quarantine there, or just go about your business and in all likelihood infect others?  It is seriously a problem.  I fly in a couple days before a Sept. cruise.  If I get tested and it's positive, what do I do then??  It would be irresponsible to get back on an airplane.  It would be equally irresponsible to play tourist for that week.  I need to do the math and see if I can fit a test in with enough time to meet the 72 hour requirement (which basically is a bunch of hogwash anyway as I could potentially  pick up the virus in the Uber, the airport, the airplane, the hotel, and the restaurants I will be visiting in those 72 hours after being tested).

Use N95 masks in those situations and you will seriously reduced getting randomly infected.

21 minutes ago, kokopelli-az said:

Our email says:  "This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test conducted within 72 hours of embarkation."     This is for the Aug 8 sailing of the Equinox.  

Ours, too.  Our tests are scheduled at 6:20 and 6:40 on Thursday, so we’ll be at 71 hours and 20 minutes and 71 hours and 40 minutes before scheduled departure.

6 minutes ago, Jazzbo said:

Ours, too.  Our tests are scheduled at 6:20 and 6:40 on Thursday, so we’ll be at 71 hours and 20 minutes and 71 hours and 40 minutes before scheduled departure.

You may want to check that timing. In post #1, the OP’s letter said, “within 72 hours of embarkation”.

1 minute ago, Silkroad said:

You may want to check that timing. In post #1, the OP’s letter said, “within 72 hours of embarkation”.

71:20 and 71:40 are both within 72:00. I'm not sure that I understand your point. 

1 hour ago, runningtide said:

Not sure local police have jurisdiction on a foreign flag vessel. Be interested in their legal position. 

I would think that the local police regardless of flag and location have jurisdiction.  I have seen local police in Europe and in Canada come aboard and remove passengers.  

Good article here on Cruise Critic -

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=240 

1 hour ago, katrina915 said:

My test results from CVS had the exact time of test taken. 

Good to hear.  Thanks for sharing your experience.    I'm glad I  scheduled mine (not at CVS)  to be within the 72 hours from the ship departure time. 

7 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

71:20 and 71:40 are both within 72:00. I'm not sure that I understand your point. 

Pointing out that time of embarkation and time of departure are different for most of us, and he’s related his testing times to time of departure.

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

What I wonder is why the Equinox cruisers were notified a negative test had to be done no earlier than 48 hours and the Edge cruisers were told no earlier than 72 hours.  We’re scheduled to sail Edge in two weeks.  I can manage a test in the 72 hour timeframe but not 48.  I’m afraid they may change the time limit.

Wondering if that was cruise date dependent.   Mine for the Sept 5 cruise says "conducted within 72 hours of embarkation.

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I would think that the local police regardless of flag and location have jurisdiction.  I have seen local police in Europe and in Canada come aboard and remove passengers.  

Good article here on Cruise Critic -

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=240 

Once a ship enters the territorial waters of a foreign country, it falls under the jurisdiction of that country. A drug runner in his foreign flagged cigarette boat making a run into US waters is not going to get anywhere with a claim that he can't be subjected to enforcement action because his boat is registered in Cuba.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Pointing out that time of embarkation and time of departure are different for most of us, and he’s related his testing times to time of departure.

Yes but embarkation is always prior to departure. So anything within 72 hours of departure must be less than 72 hours from embarkation.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Just being extra careful — I‘Ve seen seen so many different posts about whether it’s 72 hours before boarding or 72 hours of sailing.  We are scheduled to sail at 6:00.  We could have waited until Friday, but concerned about getting results (CVS says results within 24 hours, but I think it’s probably within 20 minutes).  I know that more people are getting vaccinated (yay!) and a lot more are getting tested due to Delta, so results may take a bit longer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Yes, but as his embarkation time has to be earlier than the ship's departure time, he automatically falls safely within the 72 hours. As Celebrity hasn't bothered clarifying what "embarkation time" actually means, @Jazzbo's calculation based on the published departure time is a good, safe way of approaching it.

Edited to say: @RichYak, just saw your post. We are clearly on the same wave length! 👍

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, RichYak said:

Yes but embarkation is always prior to departure. So anything within 72 hours of departure must be less than 72 hours from embarkation.

And this is why I should never attempt calculations when I have a migraine😳

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

I found a place that will test me tomorrow morning @ 9:00 as I start my drive to Ft Lauderdale.  It's $99 worth it to me to perhaps shorten my wait.  I hope to adjust my arrival based on what the folks who arrive at noon have to say.  Bum knee won't support me for four straight hours of standing, much less in Florida heat. 

Hope that we see you on board - we are going t9 have war stories for sure!

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

What I wonder is why the Equinox cruisers were notified a negative test had to be done no earlier than 48 hours and the Edge cruisers were told no earlier than 72 hours.  We’re scheduled to sail Edge in two weeks.  I can manage a test in the 72 hour timeframe but not 48.  I’m afraid they may change the time limit.

I’m hoping an incomplete copy and paste. We are boarding Equinox tomorrow with a PCR within 72 hours, but slightly past 48 depending on how they calculate and when we get to present our results.

We will keep people apprised.

• Like 1

I really don't think the check in people are going to try to calculate to the exact hour of boarding time and then try to figure out time zone changes.   Just my guess that if the date is 3 days prior to cruise the will just pass it on.

Having said that,  I made sure mine was within 72 hours of sailing time taking into consideration I am 3 hours behind.

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 2